BrOk_MoRdU
Psychotic Sniper Inc.
+76|6565|The Land of Claywhore
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

The test took place on January 11.

Aviation Week and Space Technology first reported the test: "Details emerging from space sources indicate that the Chinese Feng Yun 1C (FY-1C) polar orbit weather satellite launched in 1999 was attacked by an asat (anti-satellite) system launched from or near the Xichang Space Center."

A U.S. official, who would not agree to be identified, said the event was the first successful test of the missile after three failures.

The official said that U.S. "space tracking sensors" confirmed that the satellite is no longer in orbit and that the collision produced "hundreds of pieces of debris," that also are being tracked.

The United States logged a formal diplomatic protest.

"We are aware of it and we are concerned, and we made it known," said White House spokesman Tony Snow.

Several U.S. allies, including Canada and Australia, also have registered protests.

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Low Earth-orbit satellites have become indispensable for U.S. military communications, GPS navigation for smart bombs and troops, and for real-time surveillance. The Chinese test highlights the satellites' vulnerability.

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States," he said.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6341

Well then we need to put surveillance stations on the MOON! Hell ya! They'd never figure out how to hit them until 2018!
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Jedikiah
+6|6455
unrest world wide.. Iraq continues to be a thorn in our side.. N. Korea test fires a nuclear weapon... now china has a new toy that can truly only hurt the US.. this technology is surely to end up in the hands of other countries ( we all know how secure chinese intellligence is ). The big question is, does china really want to trade punches with the americans?  Someone once said, half a billion chinamen cant be wrong. But it only took 2 bombs to bring japan to its knees..
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6667
Fucking jokers daring to even think that they can tell other people not to develop new weapon systems.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6644|Washington, DC

China really annoys me for some reason. Not the people, just the government. They're a culmination of all the bad governments if you ask me. The "YEEHAW YIPPIE KYE YAY" attitude of Bush, the "LOL STFU OR I PWN YOU" attitude of Ahmadinejad, and the "I WANT TO PWN THE WORLD" attitude of Kim Jong Il. Oh yeah, and the censorship attitude of a bunch of people who don't want their country to know their own past.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6349|Oregon
fuckin sweet! i want one!

edit-spelling

Last edited by djphetal (2007-01-18 15:16:19)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

That's it time for the US to send in it's super secret ally, the Mongolians.

https://i3.tinypic.com/2hp6jom.gif
Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan and subsequent Great Khans

https://i11.tinypic.com/2j4ue60.gif
Goddamn, Mongolians! You tear down my City Wall last time!
Xbone Stormsurgezz
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6493|Somewhere else

We shouldn't cower from China.  But we should try to be a bit honest and and cut the political bullshit. 

United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."
This type of indirect threats is like flicking a pitbull on the top of its head.  Instead of saying, "well such actions have reprocussions", pick up the damn phone and speak to them.  May not get anywhere, but this tug of war through the news gets old.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6668|United States of America
Thank you Bill Clinton. I hope it was worth the few $100,000 that you received for the missle technology.
iamangry
+59|6659|The United States of America
Goddamn chinese and their two faced approach to us.  "We want to be friends, give us your money!"/"We must match and indeed defeat their military advantage so we can strike at them!"  It's really pissing me off that our government turns a blind eye to all the shit thats being done to us by our "friends"
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6570|Brisbane, Aus

edit nvm read post times wrong

Last edited by Fenix14 (2007-01-18 16:32:24)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Check the OP times .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6570|Brisbane, Aus

applogies, i'll tell other to search lol
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6667

Kmarion wrote:

Check the OP times .
The other one is for civil debate, this one is for senseless USA/China bashing
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6459|The Land of Scott Walker

Major_Spittle wrote:

Thank you Bill Clinton. I hope it was worth the few $100,000 that you received for the missle technology.
+1  Without that help, the Chinese would still be blowing up rockets on the launch pad.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6504|Menlo Park, CA
Thanks Bill. . .

aka Slick Willy, aka Impeached in the House of Representatives, aka disbarred, aka adulterer, aka the MOST OVERRATED PRESIDENT since JFK, aka lied under a federal deposition and didnt do jail time just because he is the "president". . . . aka A FUCKING LIEING PRICK

I hope you are enjoying all that money China gave your coffers. . .you son of a bitch

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-01-18 16:55:28)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6569

fadedsteve wrote:

Thanks Bill. . .

aka Slick Willy, aka Impeached in the House of Representatives, aka disbarred, aka adulterer, aka the MOST OVERRATED PRESIDENT since JFK, aka lied under a federal deposition and didnt do jail time just because he is the "president". . . . aka A FUCKING LIEING PRICK

I hope you are enjoying all that money China gave your coffers. . .you son of a bitch
Old Bill did a lot for the Irish peace process. Thanks Bill. You should never have been impeached. I mean impeached for a blowjob? Only in America!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-18 16:56:52)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6381|Columbus, Ohio

fadedsteve wrote:

Thanks Bill. . .

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6676|USA

fadedsteve wrote:

Thanks Bill. . .

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Shit on JFK too? Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6381|Columbus, Ohio
Sweet...we can use the term "slant eye" again.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6668|United States of America

fadedsteve wrote:

Thanks Bill. . .

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6685
We have had these systems for a while now.  A tad hypocritical to bitch because someone else has the same  toys to play with.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6676|USA

Stealth42o wrote:

We have had these systems for a while now.  A tad hypocritical to bitch because someone else has the same  toys to play with.
Easier to point the finger at everyone else. Bush has done nothing impeachable, eh? Fuct it. Old boss same as new boss. New boss same as old boss. You still lose.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6645|949

As earlier posted, we have had that technology for at least 15 years.  Hooray for China finally entering the Tech Age.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6611|Seattle

Perhaps we should publicly test out our new rice rockets...see how they like that!
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard