Poll

Is Iran pursuing Nuclear Technology for Weapons?

Yes78%78% - 84
No21%21% - 23
Total: 107
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572

blisteringsilence wrote:

Iran really, really, REALLY doesn't need the bomb.
I would protest that one. If there is one country on the planet that definitely does need nukes - it's Iran. State terrorists Israel are sitting on top of a nuclear stockpile the size of which is anyones guess. America, state terrorists Israel's henchman, is currently largely incapacitated. If I was Iran - I'd be enriching like a mother fucker....

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-16 12:03:29)

blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6719|Little Rock, Arkansas

CameronPoe wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

I would protest that one. If there is one country on the planet that definitely does need nukes - it's Iran. State terrorists Israel are sitting on top of a nuclear stockpile the size of which is anyones guess. America, state terrorists Israel's henchman, is currently largely incapacitated. If I was Iran - I'd be enriching like a mother fucker....
And your logic for this is.................?

Israel has never acknowledged its ownership of nuclear weapons. Her goal isn't offense, it's a deterrant. Don't push me too hard, or I just might have to get my whoopin' stick out.

Iran on the other hand would readily give a weapon (or just dirty nuclear material) to any wackjob-islamic group that asked for it. Do I think the state of Iran would launch a nuclear weapon against another state? Not really. I think they're crazy, but not that crazy.

Some moron who's willing to strap 30 kilos of semtex to his vest and walk into a nightclub in Tel Aviv? That's pretty crazy. Would he really care if he were carrying a dirty bomb? He's going to his 32 virgins anyway.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

It would be easier to sign off on if they weren't threatening to wipe other nations off the planet.... just a thought.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6785
Voted no. This administration has shown they will used hand picked intelligence to get what they want.

once bitten, twice shy
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker

Kmarion wrote:

It would be easier to sign off on if they weren't threatening to wipe other nations off the planet.... just a thought.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker

CameronPoe wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

Let's assume for argument's sake that Israel is sitting on a big nuclear stockpile. 

If Israel has supposedly had this arsenal for so long why has Iran waited so long to start enriching?  Seems that they've ignored a big threat for decades, why suddenly jump into action now?  Israel's purpose for their nukes is not offensive or they would have used them by now.  If Iran is scared (riiiiight) and that's why they're enriching like crazy, all the more reason to punch big holes in the ground in Iran. 

PS Try to keep your "state terrorists Israel" bullshit to a minimum outside of the thread regarding Palestine.  It will lessen your hater profile a bit and leave you with a small shred of credibility.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6785

Stingray24 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

Let's assume for argument's sake that Israel is sitting on a big nuclear stockpile. 

If Israel has supposedly had this arsenal for so long why has Iran waited so long to start enriching?  Seems that they've ignored a big threat for decades, why suddenly jump into action now?  Israel's purpose for their nukes is not offensive or they would have used them by now.  If Iran is scared (riiiiight) and that's why they're enriching like crazy, all the more reason to punch big holes in the ground in Iran. 

PS Try to keep your "state terrorists Israel" bullshit to a minimum outside of the thread regarding Palestine.  It will lessen your hater profile a bit and leave you with a small shred of credibility.
Didnt Israel recently admit to having nukes?
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6785
Iran has invited envoys from developing nations accredited to the UN nuclear watchdog to visit its nuclear sites in a show of openness about its atomic fuel program, diplomats said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Ira … 12905.html
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

BN wrote:

Iran has invited envoys from developing nations accredited to the UN nuclear watchdog to visit its nuclear sites in a show of openness about its atomic fuel program, diplomats said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Ira … 12905.html
A year after they kicked the IAEA out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6536|Πάϊ

blisteringsilence wrote:

Israel's goal isn't offense, it's a deterrant. Don't push me too hard, or I just might have to get my whoopin' stick out.

blisteringsilence wrote:

Iran on the other hand would readily give a weapon (or just dirty nuclear material) to any wackjob-islamic group that asked for it.
All of the above is mere speculation on your part.
Regarding your second quote: The US went to war with two countries whose governments had - nothing or little depending on where you stand - to do with 9/11. Is it not safe to assume that if a nuke were to blow up within the US, Iran would be the first country to blame (regardless of actual guilt)?

The truth is this: You are all so worried about Iran's threats, that you are willing to go to war over something that somebody said.

Kmarion wrote:

It would be easier to sign off on if they weren't threatening to wipe other nations off the planet....
On the other hand, we have a state that does not limit its actions to verbal threats. Israel has been performing a blunt and obvious genocide against the Palestinians for many years now, while at the same time adopting the - unheard of position in world diplomacy - of neither admitting to, or denying the possession of nuclear weapons.

And do not think for a moment that the world community doesn't know the truth because of Israel's stupid and unfounded refusal to answer. If nothing else, some people have spoken and have paid the price of course (Stingray, feel free to defend "state terrorists Israel" any time).

Anyone who is not deeply biased will agree that Israel's stance is the most suspicious and thus the scariest. Think about it... lots of nuclear powers out there... and only one of them refuses to admit it. I wonder why, especially given the fact that nukes today only serve as a kind of scarecrow for possible enemies. Might it be because they're planning on using them???

Last edited by oug (2007-01-17 17:33:51)

ƒ³
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

^^ True, you can throw NK in there also.
Some people have indeed spoken.

Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan (Urdu: عبدالقدیر خان )(b. 1935) is a Pakistani Scientist and Metallurgical Engineer widely regarded as the founder of Pakistan's nuclear programme. (His middle name is also, occasionally, rendered as Quadeer, Qadir or Gadeer and his given names are often abbreviated to A.Q.). In January 2004, he confessed to having been involved in a clandestine international network of nuclear weapons technology proliferation from Pakistan to Libya, Iran and North Korea.

Enjoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadeer_Khan

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-01-18 03:19:40)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6809

Kmarion wrote:

Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan (Urdu: عبدالقدیر خان )(b. 1935) is a Pakistani Scientist and Metallurgical Engineer widely regarded as the founder of Pakistan's nuclear programme. (His middle name is also, occasionally, rendered as Quadeer, Qadir or Gadeer and his given names are often abbreviated to A.Q.). In January 2004, he confessed to having been involved in a clandestine international network of nuclear weapons technology proliferation from Pakistan to Libya, Iran and North Korea.

Enjoy
Are you claiming that Libya is working towards nuclear weapons technology as well?  The same state that provided arms to the IRA and whose (alleged) intelligence agents blew up Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie.  In case people have forgotten, before 2001 this was the single biggest terrorist attack against US citizens.

Why has nothing been said about this, why all the focus on Iran?

On topic, I could not give a toss about whether Iran is working towards nuclear weapons.  I wish them well in their aims for nuclear energy as it shows at least one country is taking the global warming issues seriously, but nukes, whatever.  NK has them.  USA has them.  Other countries whose leaders I don't trust have them.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6536|Πάϊ

Kmarion wrote:

Enjoy
So, what is your point? For all I know, Pervez Musharraf runs a government that is quite friendly - to say the least - towards the US... Last I saw him, he was drinking tea at the Daily Show...

Are you saying that Pakistan's nuclear program is a threat to global security? I agree. So is everyone else's. I wonder though... how did Pakistan come to acquire nukes so fast?

Btw this is so funny! Totally blows away this whole "war on terror" thingy:

Wikipedia wrote:

The United States government had no choice but to leave the fate of Dr. A.Q. Khan in the hands of General Musharraf, imposing no penalties on the Pakistani government or on individuals. U.S. government officials explained that in the War on Terrorism, it was not their goal to denounce or imprison people but "to get results." The White House chose not to impose sanctions on Pakistan or to demand an independent investigation of the Pakistani Military as US troops were still waging a war in Afghanisthan and support from Pakistan in the form of usaage of military bases would almost disappear. "It's just another case where you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," a U.S. government official explained.
The U.S. has also refrained from applying further direct pressure on Pakistan for disclosure about Khan's activities largely due to a strategic calculation that such pressure may topple President Musharraf.
Pardon me, but how the fuck are you going to get results when you do not imprison those who are to blame? So, supposing that everything I'm reading in that page is true, then the US simply allowed a major suspect of WMDs trade to walk away (in order to keep their friend Musharraf in office, who by the way allows Khan to roam free) while at the same time attacked Iraq that had no WMDs...??
ƒ³
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

aardfrith wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Enjoy
Are you claiming that Libya is working towards nuclear weapons technology as well?  The same state that provided arms to the IRA and whose (alleged) intelligence agents blew up Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie.  In case people have forgotten, before 2001 this was the single biggest terrorist attack against US citizens.

Why has nothing been said about this, why all the focus on Iran?

On topic, I could not give a toss about whether Iran is working towards nuclear weapons.  I wish them well in their aims for nuclear energy as it shows at least one country is taking the global warming issues seriously, but nukes, whatever.  NK has them.  USA has them.  Other countries whose leaders I don't trust have them.
Libya was working on it, they admitted it. They also renounced it recently after the invasion of Iraq. These aren't my claims, but rather the confessions of a man who is now under the protection of the Pakistani government. http://www.carnegieendowment.org/static … nology.pdf

If you would like more information on this I suggest getting a hold of a documentary called "Nuclear Walmart"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/p … 135736.stm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

http://our2142.com/nwm/nwm.html
For those interested in the documentary.
(The Nuclear Wal-Mart)

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-01-18 07:07:12)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572
The question in the thread title actually reminded me of good old Jeffrey Lebowski's response to an offer of a drink:

"Pope shit in the woods?"

Classic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

The question in the thread title actually reminded me of good old Jeffrey Lebowski's response to an offer of a drink:

"Pope shit in the woods?"

Classic.
Kinda like, "Does a rocking horse have a wooden Pecker?"
Xbone Stormsurgezz
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6719|Little Rock, Arkansas

oug wrote:

Anyone who is not deeply biased will agree that Israel's stance is the most suspicious and thus the scariest. Think about it... lots of nuclear powers out there... and only one of them refuses to admit it. I wonder why, especially given the fact that nukes today only serve as a kind of scarecrow for possible enemies. Might it be because they're planning on using them???
Is it speculation on my part? Yes, this whole thread is speculation. Hence the OP:

Kmarion wrote:

Is that their intent? I would really like to hear everyone's opinion on this and why you voted yes or no.
Therefore, I get to speculate to my little heart's content. Go me.

Now, I would argue that my speculation is founded on Iran's previous actions, rather than my blind faith that they're trying to do better. Israel, on the other hand, has a good reason for keeping their weapons as an open secret: France asked them to as a condition of their acquiring the heavy water reactor they makes their fissile material. Israel and France are still important trading partners, and they don't want to offend one anther.

Now, onto this one:

oug wrote:

Regarding your second quote: The US went to war with two countries whose governments had - nothing or little depending on where you stand - to do with 9/11. Is it not safe to assume that if a nuke were to blow up within the US, Iran would be the first country to blame (regardless of actual guilt)?

The truth is this: You are all so worried about Iran's threats, that you are willing to go to war over something that somebody said.
1. No matter how you cut it, Afghanistan was the home/training base/recruiting headquarters of Al Qaeda, and the government (called the Taliban) was responsible for issuing them documents and whatnot.
2. Why is it that whenever a thread seems to be going somewhere you don't like, you just throw it off by reminding everyone how wrong the US was to invade Iraq? WE FUCKING GET IT. WE SCREWED UP. WE AREN'T GOING TO FUCKING DO IT AGAIN. GET THE FUCK OVER IT. Now, as to what the US's involvement in Iraq has to do with Iran's intentions to arm itself with nuclear weapons, that's a topic I'm willing to discuss.
13rin
+977|6496

ThomasMorgan wrote:

We've shared our nuclear secrets with other nations.

Also, like I said, the US is the only nation to actually detonate a nuclear device with the intent of causing death and destruction.  No other nation has even come close to doing that, yet somehow we're the ones worried about other countries using nuclear weapons.

It's no different than committing a crime, acknowledging and validating your crime, but then not allowing other people to do it.  It's a double standard.
True. We have shared nuclear technology with other nations -ones that didn't want to wipe us and our allies off the face of the Earth.

Those nukes were detonated with the intent of saving lives.  Think about it.  During WWII, the Japanese were fanitical, and would have fought to the last man, woman, and child.  That's not counting the tens if not hundreds of thousands of our GI's.  By dropping the bomb, we showed the emperor and his generals that the war was over and they lost.  Let's not forget that Hitler and the Japanese were hard at work developing nukes too (got closer that you know).  What do you think would have happened if they had developed them first? 

What do you mean that no other nation has come close to using a nuke?  I'll bet you too young to remember the cold war and the USSR?  The Cuban missle crisis?

It isn't a double standard.  It would be one if the US tried to keep all other nations from getting that technology, but we have not.  It is smart to keep technology which would enable the enemy to inflict massive death and destruction.  Have you heard the crap Imadinnajacket says?  Do you think he really wants to use nuke technology for peaceful purposes?  Do you think it is a good thing for Iran and fanatics like that get the bomb?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
I have no doubt in my mind that Iran is pursuing nuclear technology for the sake of defense.

Think about this: 2001-America invades Afghanistan, right next door.  2003-America invades Iraq, on the other side of Iran.

If I were the leader of Iran, I'd be freaked out.  I'd do everything possible to keep America from invading my country, and acquiring nukes is a good way of doing that.

Ahmadinejad may talk a lot of shit about Israel, but deep down inside, he's probably just afraid of America attacking Iran.  The last thing he'd want to do is attack Israel, because he knows that would result in us destroying Iran.

Basically, Iran is pursuing nukes for defensive purposes.  He's just overcompensating when he talks shit (and trying to distract his people from his pathetic performance as a leader).

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-02-11 01:33:57)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

I have no doubt in my mind that Iran is pursuing nuclear technology for the sake of defense.

Think about this: 2001-America invades Afghanistan, right next door.  2003-America invades Iraq, on the other side of Iran.

If I were the leader of Iran, I'd be freaked out.  I'd do everything possible to keep America from invading my country, and acquiring nukes is a good way of doing that.

Ahmadinejad may talk a lot of shit about Israel, but deep down inside, he's probably just afraid of America attacking Iran.  The last thing he'd want to do is attack Israel, because he knows that would result in us destroying Iran.

Basically, Iran is pursuing nukes for defensive purposes.  He's just overcompensating when he talks shit (and trying to distract his people from his pathetic performance as a leader).
Why not be honest than? I think the world would be more sympathetic to your proposed motivation rather than secret nuclear weapons intentions. I'm sure people understood his need for defense with Katusha rockets, we know where they ended up though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Why not be honest than? I think the world would be more sympathetic to your proposed motivation rather than secret nuclear weapons intentions. I'm sure people understood his need for defense with Katusha rockets, we know where they ended up though.
Good point, but this is Ahmadinejad we're talking about.

In all honesty, I think Bush and him have a lot in common.  They're both pathetic leaders that pander to their extremist elements.  They both suck at fiscal policy.   They both would lose in their next election (if Bush was able to run again).  The list goes on and on....

Anyway, Ahmadinejad is, quite frankly, an idiot.  He's only crafty enough to get the support of his ultraconservatives, but then again, those people are easily fooled (just like our ultraconservatives).  The Ayatollah basically numbed his opposition by keeping reformists from running in the last midterm election, but even after that, the people managed to elect the most moderate conservatives in Iran.

In short, Ahmadinejad doesn't have the power to attack anyone officially, with or without nukes.  His people won't allow it, and even the Ayatollah doesn't want to invite an attack from us.  So yeah, they are taking the more subtle approach of aiding the insurgency, but then again, so is Saudi Arabia.

Basically, there are some people in America that would profit tremendously from attacking Iran, and they've been saber rattling for quite some time.  With enough persistence, they may even trick us into attacking Iran, but hopefully, we won't be that stupid AGAIN.  Iraq should provide all the evidence necessary to discourage an attack on Iran.  Ahmadinejad sees the mess we're in, and he's taking advantage of it, since our hands are tied.

He's not going to nuke anyone though.  He's neither that stupid nor that powerful.
التعريفات
Squiggles
+102|6384|Cali

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Good point, but this is Ahmadinejad we're talking about.

In all honesty, I think Bush and him have a lot in common.  They're both pathetic leaders that pander to their extremist elements.  They both suck at fiscal policy.   They both would lose in their next election (if Bush was able to run again).  The list goes on and on....

Anyway, Ahmadinejad is, quite frankly, an idiot.  He's only crafty enough to get the support of his ultraconservatives, but then again, those people are easily fooled (just like our ultraconservatives).  The Ayatollah basically numbed his opposition by keeping reformists from running in the last midterm election, but even after that, the people managed to elect the most moderate conservatives in Iran.

In short, Ahmadinejad doesn't have the power to attack anyone officially, with or without nukes.  His people won't allow it, and even the Ayatollah doesn't want to invite an attack from us.  So yeah, they are taking the more subtle approach of aiding the insurgency, but then again, so is Saudi Arabia.

Basically, there are some people in America that would profit tremendously from attacking Iran, and they've been saber rattling for quite some time.  With enough persistence, they may even trick us into attacking Iran, but hopefully, we won't be that stupid AGAIN.  Iraq should provide all the evidence necessary to discourage an attack on Iran.  Ahmadinejad sees the mess we're in, and he's taking advantage of it, since our hands are tied.

He's not going to nuke anyone though.  He's neither that stupid nor that powerful.
tru
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Basically, there are some people in America that would profit tremendously from attacking Iran, and they've been saber rattling for quite some time.
Maybe some but America will never recoup the amount of money it has dumped into Iraq. The oil conspiracy kinda fails in that aspect.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Basically, there are some people in America that would profit tremendously from attacking Iran, and they've been saber rattling for quite some time.
Maybe some but America will never recoup the amount of money it has dumped into Iraq. The oil conspiracy kinda fails in that aspect.
I'm not talking about oil -- I'm talking military contractors.  Companies like Halliburton have completely reamed us with overcharging, and they'll do more of the same with Iran.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard