7eregrine
+1|6435
I was wondering about that! Thanks!
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6816|Moore, OK

Daysniper wrote:

So as many of you probably know, Apple has revealed their "iPhone." Some of you probably also know that Cisco has had the "iPhone" name trademarked since '98. And now, of course, Cisco is suing Apple. The story goes that Apple tried to negotiate the "iPhone name from Cisco, but Cisco refused. So Apple created a "another company" Ocean Telecom, to try and acquire illegaly it right under Cisco's nose. They "created" an entire company! I really hope Cisco wins the suit. If they do, Apple will:

1) have to change the name
2) pay damages to Cisco
3) I really love this one: they have to destroy basically everything that says "iPhone" and everything that is used to make that.
4) and more

The full copy of the complaint can be found here (PDF):
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/pdfs/20 … vapple.pdf
and CNET's article:
http://news.com.com/Cisco+sues+Apple+ov … 49285.html
Instead of the usual "Apple is teh retarded" banter, or "The iPod/iTunes sucks blah blah blah", how about doing some more reading prior to jumping on the anti-whatever bandwagon? It seems that Cisco might have jumped the gun, considering it's possible that Cisco lost the rights to the iPhone trademark last year.

Last edited by Dizik (2007-01-15 20:57:53)

jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

I don't like apple because of their stance on Tibet.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Hurricane wrote:

Why the fuck does Cisco care? I doubt anyone would buy their product anyways. Seriously, who asides from people who researched the iPhone name knew about the Cisco iPhone? That's right, almost nobody. Fuck cisco they've got plenty of cash from their routers and fancy IP phones...
Defensive, are we? Work for Apple, or just worship their products? The Inquisition wants to know.

Lawsuits are just another form of inter-corporation politics. If you don't have the balls to stand up for your trademarks, then people'll just walk all over you. Live and let live.
beerface702
+65|6694|las vegas
well the browser looks very robust on the phone from what i see. compared to alot of other pda on the market with hacked up browser functions.

the ability to stream tv is also very cool

the device looks nice, ive never liked apple or their products. but the iphone looks good honestly.

i doubt it will be stable though, and will have the some of the problems with battery life and durability like the ipod did

ill prolly get a iphone though, unless another company later this year has something better
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6551|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Marlboroman82 wrote:

i am a loyal mac user. have you ever used a mac? i use both pcs and macs, and i realize that both are not for everyone, but what upsets me is when people make undounded comments. yes a mac becomes exactly that when you install bootcamp, but for now a mac can run both os x and xp/vista unlike its pc counterpart. hopefully with the change to intel based processors developers will begin to create more games for macs.
One question, what do you do if you want to upgrade your hard drive or stick a bit more RAM in to play these games?  Oh that's right, you have to buy a whole new computer or send your current one off to Apple.  You cannot upgrade Macs and I'd rather have a restricted OS choice than a computer that I can't improve, when and how I want to.

That is what I hate about Apple, there is a manufacturing arrogance with their products as if they are saying "oh no you can't be trusted to meddle with our supreme engineering".  It's the same with their software; great if you want plug and play simplicity but if, like me, you like to tinker and modify things it's a no go.  As a good friend of mine says, "Macs...if you don't know a lot about computers they're great for you" and even my Mac fan boi work colleague agrees.

As for iPods and Apple products, I think that they are over-priced,  They market their products to impressionable teens who don't care if it's an 8gb or a 4gb as long as their mate has one and it looks "flashy".  Ever since the iMac, Apple has tried to compete on design and aesthetic and there is nothing wrong with that.  There is also nothing wrong with buying products on that basis but don't then try an argue the finer points of it's technology.  As someone else said there are many MP3 players that match or beat the iPods specs and are cheaper.  Anyone who denies this knows nothing about MP3 players; or certainly couldn't bring themselves to look past their sheep-following Apple player every time they go to the mall.

The iPhone, in my opinion will fail because Apple are trying to penetrate an established and already over saturated market.  I honestly don't see what the iPhone has that other don't (including design).  The camera is only 2m pixels with 4,5 and even 10 million pixel models being brought out by other companies this year.  In their literature they make out touch screen is something unique to them whilst I have been using a touch screen PDA for 2 years.

Of course they'll sell a few million units to the die-hard Apple fan boys but in an industry that moves so fast, they're iPhone will be seriously outdated in a just a few months and Apple don't seem the kind of company that want to keep releasing new models.  They want to release one "super model" and dominate the market and it'll have to change the whole mobile phone industry to work IMO.
Daysniper
+42|6636

Dizik wrote:

Daysniper wrote:

So as many of you probably know, Apple has revealed their "iPhone." Some of you probably also know that Cisco has had the "iPhone" name trademarked since '98. And now, of course, Cisco is suing Apple. The story goes that Apple tried to negotiate the "iPhone name from Cisco, but Cisco refused. So Apple created a "another company" Ocean Telecom, to try and acquire illegaly it right under Cisco's nose. They "created" an entire company! I really hope Cisco wins the suit. If they do, Apple will:

2) pay damages to Cisco
3) I really love this one: they have to destroy basically everything that says "iPhone" and everything that is used to make that.
4) and more

and CNET's article:
Instead of the usual "Apple is teh retarded" banter, or "The iPod/iTunes sucks blah blah blah", how about doing some more reading prior to jumping on the anti-whatever bandwagon? It seems that Cisco might have jumped the gun, considering it's possible that Cisco lost the rights to the iPhone trademark last year.
Wrong. Look it up in the USPTO database. "iPhone" for Cisco, registered in '96, is Live. Beat that.
I would provide a link, but USPTO requires that you must "log in" each time, so here's the url for USPTO search-
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=t … d0dmlq.1.1

Last edited by Daysniper (2007-01-16 04:44:52)

Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6624|Camp XRay

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

i am a loyal mac user. have you ever used a mac? i use both pcs and macs, and i realize that both are not for everyone, but what upsets me is when people make undounded comments. yes a mac becomes exactly that when you install bootcamp, but for now a mac can run both os x and xp/vista unlike its pc counterpart. hopefully with the change to intel based processors developers will begin to create more games for macs.
One question, what do you do if you want to upgrade your hard drive or stick a bit more RAM in to play these games?  Oh that's right, you have to buy a whole new computer or send your current one off to Apple.  You cannot upgrade Macs and I'd rather have a restricted OS choice than a computer that I can't improve, when and how I want to.

That is what I hate about Apple, there is a manufacturing arrogance with their products as if they are saying "oh no you can't be trusted to meddle with our supreme engineering".  It's the same with their software; great if you want plug and play simplicity but if, like me, you like to tinker and modify things it's a no go.  As a good friend of mine says, "Macs...if you don't know a lot about computers they're great for you" and even my Mac fan boi work colleague agrees.

As for iPods and Apple products, I think that they are over-priced,  They market their products to impressionable teens who don't care if it's an 8gb or a 4gb as long as their mate has one and it looks "flashy".  Ever since the iMac, Apple has tried to compete on design and aesthetic and there is nothing wrong with that.  There is also nothing wrong with buying products on that basis but don't then try an argue the finer points of it's technology.  As someone else said there are many MP3 players that match or beat the iPods specs and are cheaper.  Anyone who denies this knows nothing about MP3 players; or certainly couldn't bring themselves to look past their sheep-following Apple player every time they go to the mall.

The iPhone, in my opinion will fail because Apple are trying to penetrate an established and already over saturated market.  I honestly don't see what the iPhone has that other don't (including design).  The camera is only 2m pixels with 4,5 and even 10 million pixel models being brought out by other companies this year.  In their literature they make out touch screen is something unique to them whilst I have been using a touch screen PDA for 2 years.

Of course they'll sell a few million units to the die-hard Apple fan boys but in an industry that moves so fast, they're iPhone will be seriously outdated in a just a few months and Apple don't seem the kind of company that want to keep releasing new models.  They want to release one "super model" and dominate the market and it'll have to change the whole mobile phone industry to work IMO.
huh? if i want more ram or a larger hard drive i go buy it off newegg and stick it in there. seriously its comments like that makes me wonder about the intelligence level of this forum. as for the rest of your comments they are the exact same thing everyone else argues when talking about the ipod. great you don't want to be like everyone else, awesome argument.

Last edited by Marlboroman82 (2007-01-16 06:17:23)

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6569|Oxford

Daysniper wrote:

They "created" an entire company!
Takes about five minutes and you can do it online.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

Daysniper wrote:

2) pay damages to Cisco
4) and more

and CNET's article:
Sorry to ruin your day sleezebag, but 98-07=9 years. European Law dictates that Brand names not used in 5 years of registration automatically become unregisterd.

Btw. the I has always been an Apple trademark. iMac, iPod. Cisco fill fail by default over here in Europe, and since Cisco isn't into making telephone, but networking they have an even weaker position.

Notice: the iPhone is more a computer/ipod than a regular cellphone. It even has Mac OS X on it. Now that is something I'd like to see MS do. XP Mobile.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Really you are one big f*cking moron with no knowledge what so ever about Apple Inc. and their products.

#1. I buy a new harddrive, open up my iMac, click the old one out, new one in. Close iMac insert OS X cd. And within 15 minutes I had a complete new OS installed and the computer is ready.

#2. All things 'Made For A Mac' work with plug and play, and with no exceptions. Would your XP recoginize a 6 year old flatbed scanner? I bet not.

#3. Please show me examples of beter MP3 players (that also support video offcourse! and syncronize with a steady MP3 software program).

#4. The iPhone is the cell phone redefined, it is far more advanced. Have you even looked at its features?
Does you PDA support multi-touch? Does your PDA support visual voicemail? Does your PDA sync with your computer seamlessly.

#5. They aim for a market share of 1% aka 10M units. I suggest watching the keynote, because your ignorance is too fucking annoying.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Bernadictus wrote:

Daysniper wrote:

2) pay damages to Cisco
4) and more

and CNET's article:
Sorry to ruin your day sleezebag, but 98-07=9 years. European Law dictates that Brand names not used in 5 years of registration automatically become unregisterd.

Btw. the I has always been an Apple trademark. iMac, iPod. Cisco fill fail by default over here in Europe, and since Cisco isn't into making telephone, but networking they have an even weaker position.

Notice: the iPhone is more a computer/ipod than a regular cellphone. It even has Mac OS X on it. Now that is something I'd like to see MS do. XP Mobile.
Doesn't windows already have XP on PDA phones?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6624|Camp XRay

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

Daysniper wrote:

2) pay damages to Cisco
4) and more

and CNET's article:

Doesn't windows already have XP on PDA phones?
no its called windows mobile, it's ok but very basic
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

The iPhone is just like OS X. It also runs OS X programs with offcourse some limitations, but not as much as Windhoes Mobile 5.0.

I suggest all you MS Windhoes check this out first:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

Before you start talking like an expert.

You know what your frickin problem is with Mac users? Pure jealousy, that we can afford systems that don't let us down.

JEALOUSY
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
A mod shouldn't cuss.  Set an example.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Bernadictus wrote:

The iPhone is just like OS X. It also runs OS X programs with offcourse some limitations, but not as much as Windhoes Mobile 5.0.

You know what your frickin problem is with Mac users? Pure jealousy, that we can afford systems that don't let us down.

JEALOUSY
Getting a Mac to me is like getting an Alienware.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
pndragon26
+23|6687
I'm a "macboy" and no I'm not jelouos. Macs for work and PC for games. I'm in graphics and "prefer" the mac, but can and do when I have to use a PC. So aside from the OS fighting:
Why does this topic say Apple/jobs are "sleezebags"?
Seriously, Cisco sat in a marketing meeting years ago and came up with "iphone"? No, they saw apple selling good products by branding them with names like -ipod, imac, ilife, itunes et all. So they "created" the name. Wow Original, and in no way sleezy.
Mac makes Computers AND software.
Windows=software.... just software.
Dell... what is thier OS like?... oh they don't make one...
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6624|Camp XRay

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

JEALOUSY
Getting a Mac to me is like getting an Alienware.
haha ok, but the case is better looking
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1233/picture1yk0.png

I would buy a Mac today, if I wasn't working at Microsoft.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6531|The lunar module

Bernadictus wrote:

The iPhone is the cell phone redefined.
...not.

It has the feature set of a low-end Nokia E- or N-series phone. Real phones like these have 3G, of course

The iPhone looks nice & probably has a decent user interface. But nothing else really exceptional,

Bernadictus wrote:

it is far more advanced. Have you even looked at its features?
Does you PDA support multi-touch? Does your PDA support visual voicemail? Does your PDA sync with your computer seamlessly.
Visual voicemail is so last year. You've got to have video calling these days, and sync'ing your phone with your PC was really hot a few phone generations back....
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6831|Denver colorado
Because ces is over you all should stop WOWZA-ing at the first reactions and go and actually look into the thing before you defend it with all your might.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

The iPhone will be rubbish. Lots of Apple fanboys will buy it, because it'll be pretty. That article Kmarion posted where Jobs looks like a complete idiot

"of course we don't want it to be an open system, then people might develop software for it - oh noes" Says Steve Jobs, like the wacko he is.

It'll work as a decent phone, but it won't be on par with it's competitors. It certainly won't be worth the premium price they'll charge for it.
iamangry
+59|6646|The United States of America
they could call it the gala Apple Phone... gAPhone anybody??

Seriously though, mac sucks.  You're paying a shit ton of extra money for a different OS, and an odd shape for your computer.  If I wanted my computer to look like a desk lamp with a screen.... I'd check myself into a mental health facility, that's what I'd do!  And you know why no one makes viruses for macs?  CAUSE NO ONE REALLY DOES ANYTHING OF VALUE ON THEM!!! People don't do accounting for major firms on them, or deal with classified information, or complex company secret engineering designs on them, or calculations for that matter; no they surf the internet for gay porn, howie day, and use it as a home base for their iPod (i had a roommate who had a mac last year, weird guy...).  And that whole thing with "macs are better for graphics" is BS.  for a good while there you couldn't get a PCI Express graphics card for your "totally awesome graphics monster" mac.  Hell, ATI made a Mac version of the X1900 cards that had half the memory on board cause the mac just couldn't take it.  I don't think they can do SLI or Crossfire for that matter.  Because they are notoriously anti-convention.  Hell, they even had a different type of IP address system for a good while.  But then the try to make up for all of this with innovative features which are cool but ultimately not a reasonable substitute.   Like those magnetic plugs.  If I'm working on something really important, I'd rather risk my little brother a broken leg than have my 50 lb tower suddenly lose power, which could itself harm the computer.  And back to those desk lamp monstrosities, what if I want to upgrade my monitor?  Can I just remove the one it has and replace it with one twice its size?  Or do I have to have it sit in front of my computer now?  Or am I just screwed?  Or the one button mouse... seriously?  I realize you can use a two button mouse, but why doesnt Mac give you one to begin with???

well, i feel much better now :p
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Hey, wasn't this thread closed at one point?
Daysniper
+42|6636
Yes, I was wondering that myself?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6842|Cologne, Germany

well, for once, I know a lot of people in media design, graphics, advertising and video/sound editing who use Apple computers on a daily basis. No hardware compatibility issues, and performance has always been excellent, especially with applications such as Adobe Photoshop or the Avid product family.

I agree though, that Apple computers have always been kinda expensive compared to a standard desktop PC, and I think the majority of private users can do without a Mac. If you use your PC for gaming, browsing the web and the occasional e-mail, you're much better off with a regular PC. And it'll only cost you half of what you'd have to pay for a Mac.

On the other hand, Apple has always focused on design. Apple PC's are often status symbols as much as they are working tools. A little bit of social elitism has always been part of the equasion, too.
A lot of Apple users will consider themselves to be "different" in some way or the other from "regular" PC users.
And regardless of the heavy pricetags most Apple products carry, the company has been a tremendous success. So there must be some things Steve Jobs is doing right.

Now, as far as the iphone is concerned, carrier exclusivity is something that would worry me as a consumer.
Who is Apple to tell me what carrier I should have for the iphone ?

I wonder what the implications will be for Germany. I bet my ass Apple will try to sell the phone with an exclusive one-carrier-only contract over here, too. Probably T-Mobile. I am curious to find out if that will work out for them.

Other than that, it offers nothing standard PDA's can't do. Sure, there are some cool gadgets, but who really needs those ? Most of the neat stuff is quite power-hungry, too. The touchscreen, video and mp3 playback, I wonder how long the battery will last.
Combine that with the heavy pricetag, and it becomes a non-issue for me.

Still, most of the Apple fanboys are going to buy it, and it is therefore likely the iphone will be a commercial success. How good it really is will be determined when it hits the mass market.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard