SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6412|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

Mad Ad wrote:

your as mad as I am lol

actually, if its not in the game files, a good estimate could be had by timing how long it takes for 500ft, and 1000ft, checking they match then dividing the result into 250,000....is that what you are doing?
Exactly. Gonna make multiple tests at altitudes rounded out to 1000ft. and then do the 250,000ft drop just to see if my calculations are correct. Should be fun
MrE`158
+103|6624
If someone who knew what to look for (i.e. someone other than me) were to poke around in the map files, would you be able to find a ceiling height for the maps?  Or is it somehow free-form?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England

MrE`158 wrote:

If someone who knew what to look for (i.e. someone other than me) were to poke around in the map files, would you be able to find a ceiling height for the maps?  Or is it somehow free-form?
From mymapping experience, there is none... I think eventually it will just replayed at a certain height.
Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK
well i just had a try timing 250ft jumps, its averaging about 44 seconds per 250 so thats 176 seconds per 1000. 

Its not a good estimate because its hard to get clean figures but im guessing around 733 minutes to parachute back down (12 hours'ish)- is that close to what you get SplinterStrike?

On top of that, if you really did it, because you drift forward as you fall youd have to keep turning around each time you drifted to the end of the map.
HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6710|Germany

SplinterStrike wrote:

I'm gonna test the freefall speed and get back to you.

EDIT-typo
Ermmm... Newton, anyone ? 9,81 meter per second is the freefall speed. Now you guys do the math, I just got home from work.
Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK
well im getting freefall figures between 8.1 and 8.3 seconds per 250ft (76.2M) which comes out at 9.3M/s....seems Newton wasnt on the programming team down there at Dice HQ
SplinterStrike
Roamer

Mad Ad wrote:

well im getting freefall figures between 8.1 and 8.3 seconds per 250ft (76.2M) which comes out at 9.3M/s....seems Newton wasnt on the programming team down there at Dice HQ
Testing this soon...just came out of my last uni course for today. Expect results withing an hour or so.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
Ok so here it is... keep in note that I did not have a proper chrono(my analog watch).
I averaged 16 seconds per 1000ft. for freefall
I averaged 50 sec per 1000ft. for parachute
I'll be retesting it once a have a good chrono.

I was not able to get anywhere near the altitude you reached...How the fuck do you do that? I capped at 5000ft before flipping out of control

Anyways, if my count is correct, bailing out at 250,000 ft...
...would've taken you 66 mins to reach the ground in freefall!
...And 208.3333mins in a chute! (just short of 3 hours and a half)

Oh.
My.
God.

These numbers are retarded.
Must...resist...temptations...to...attempt
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6572|USA
what mod is that?
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah
i would think that the jet would run out of fuel but thats bf2 for ya
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6532
Now the only logical thing to do was to do a nose dive and check what kind of speed you could achieve.
SplinterStrike
Roamer

ShadowFoX wrote:

Now the only logical thing to do was to do a nose dive and check what kind of speed you could achieve.
The highest ive gone is mach 2.5... And that was dropping down form 2500ft. SOMEONE DO IT!
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6707

ShadowFoX wrote:

THAT-WOULD-BE-AWSOME.   Think about being the person to have reached the fastest speed in a BF2 jet ever!
I am going to try that.
Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK
The trouble is any height over 800ft puts you into a flatspin - I couldnt aim down if I tried.

Ender2309 wrote:

what mod is that?
vanilla bf2, wake island
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6346|Cali

Mad Ad wrote:

I just wanted to see how high i could really go

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/936/screen041yw9.png

I got bored and stopped there, took (guess) about 10 minutes maybe more, my arm was aching by then.

I was expecting to go into orbit at some point but it never happened.
That pic takes forever to load for me.
Madhadda1
+270|6546|Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

ShadowFoX wrote:

THAT-WOULD-BE-AWSOME.   Think about being the person to have reached the fastest speed in a BF2 jet ever!
I am going to try that.
fastest ive ever gone is 3000 mph
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California
You can go up to 1,500,000 feet thats what i did with my friends except i cant find the screenshots
but i think they are still up on my old clans website
Riddick51PB
+21|6509|Lincoln.ne.us

Mad Ad wrote:

I got bored and stopped there, took (guess) about 10 minutes maybe more, my arm was aching by then.

ten minutes?  guess you UK pilots ain't got balls.  imagine a harrier pilot saying oh i just quit after 10 minutes and ejected.  i was bored...oh and my arm was tired.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
Whoo! Its Chuck Yeager simulation time!
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6329

im gonna test the parachute time from 500,000 ft right now, I'll get back to ya guys eventually.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6636|Ames, IA

HellHead wrote:

SplinterStrike wrote:

I'm gonna test the freefall speed and get back to you.

EDIT-typo
Ermmm... Newton, anyone ? 9,81 meter per second is the freefall speed. Now you guys do the math, I just got home from work.
9.81 M/S^2 is the acceleration of gravity, not a magic frefall speed.  The person would accelerate for a little while until air resistance countered the force of gravity (terminal velocity) which is different for every object depending on density, shape and texture.
SplinterStrike
Roamer

Im_Dooomed wrote:

im gonna test the parachute time from 500,000 ft right now, I'll get back to ya guys eventually.
LMAO. And you said I had spare time .
Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK

Riddick51PB wrote:

Mad Ad wrote:

ten minutes?  guess you UK pilots ain't got balls.  imagine a harrier pilot saying oh i just quit after 10 minutes and ejected.  i was bored...oh and my arm was tired.
hahaha, its vey boring up there, trust me - I figured the only change between 250,000 and 500,000 was the same blue sky and just a few little number differences so why bother - I'll let that accolade go to someone with more patience than I.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard