crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6656|Teesside, UK

Bertster7 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I mean how does it really effects you?.
Remember London July 11 2005 which was carried out by associates of al-Qaeda as a protest against British involvement in Iraq?
What happened on the 11th of July?
Doh typo!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

usmarine2007 wrote:

That is my point.  Why aren't there countless threads from UK people about their government and Blair?
There have been a few.

I've certainly been consistent in my criticism of Blair's actions in Iraq and all the fabricated intelligence in the lead up to the war. The 45 min claim, what a load of bollocks.

It probably has a lot to do with the US being the instigators of the conflict. The UK were acting in a supporting role rather than taking the decision to go into Iraq and are therefore somewhat less responsible.
crimson_grunt
+214|6656|Teesside, UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

That is my point.  Why aren't there countless threads from UK people about their government and Blair?
I dunno.  I'm not sure if anyone would be that interested.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

crimson_grunt wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

Remember London July 11 2005 which was carried out by associates of al-Qaeda as a protest against British involvement in Iraq?
What happened on the 11th of July?
Doh typo!
lol.

You mixing up 9/11 and 7/7?
crimson_grunt
+214|6656|Teesside, UK

Bertster7 wrote:

lol.

You mixing up 9/11 and 7/7?
Yep
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Well, I was told the other day that there are less US people on this forum than anyone else, so maybe not.  That is if you beleive that or not.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I am extremely sure that more than a few people on this forum don't care if it is interesting or not when they post junk.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Well, I was told the other day that there are less US people on this forum than anyone else, so maybe not.  That is if you beleive that or not.
Hmmm. That's not the way I remember it.

Less US people on this site than everyone else was more like it I think.

There are certainly more people here from the US than any other single nation.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

Bertster7 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

Hmmm. That's not the way I remember it.

Less US people on this site than everyone else was more like it I think.

There are certainly more people here from the US than any other single nation.
I agree...I can't remember who said that though.
UGADawgs
+13|6323|South Carolina, US

usmarine2007 wrote:

UGADawgs wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Here we go with the high and might theory of Mr. Juana.  Since you live in the US Mr. Juana, and since we stole oil and murdered people for it, yet you use the oil, you sir are an oil stealing murderer also.  have a nice day.
If he didn't kill someone and take his oil, he's hardly an oil stealing murderer. Besides, unless your car runs off of vegetable oil or something, you can't go around accusing people of being "oil stealing murderers."
Do you people read what other people say?  He called me an oil stealing murderer.  Now, using stolen goods is just as bad as stealing it right?  According to our laws yes.
Whoops, my mistake. On your point, though, most of our oil doesn't come from Iraq, so it's likely that you don't use "zomg stolen Iraqi oil mixed with the blood of infants" all that often.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Incorrect. I said I recon that there are less Americans than EVERYONE else. It was me that said it. And it was just a matter of opinion based on the amount of from: Somewhere in america to from:somewhere else.

However that doesnt mean they will be interested in the UK. As it doesnt realy effect their lives. Whereas American Foreign policy does.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-01-14 13:39:33)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Isn't it Bush himself who is constantly saying that the War on Teror is a global war ? If you consider that to be true, I think it is only natural that US foreign policy is under a little more scrutiny than any other nation's.
After all, the US are also the one country that is especially intent upon pushing its own agenda through with regard to foreign policy.
China, or russia, although being superpower-ish themselves, don't really seem to care, and thus all people talk about are the US.
The US considers itself the leader in the global war on terror. Thus, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it is talked about more than any other nation.

I'd like to use a military analogy here. If you are always at the front, you are bound to receive more enemy fire. And you'll have to admit, the Americans are very much at the forefront of things.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6812|Nårvei

Dont think most people are obsessed with US politics to the degree you think they are, but when US foreign politics could endanger the rest of the world we are allowed to voice an opinion !

And US politics as of now is pissing some unstable governments off and that could eventually have an inpact on its allies, and that again concerns us imho !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6531|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia

usmarine2007 wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

In the main street of Geelong there used to be a fish'n'chip shop and a pie shop.

They've been replaced by a McDonalds and a Starbucks.
Is that a problem?
Of course it is, you obviously missed the point of my little post.

Regardless of what you may think the world does not want your culture, we have our own national identity and it is slowly being eroded by American interests, which is one of the reasons many people have a great dislike of the USA.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
In short, for me, the reason whether I like it or not, is that we in Europe and you in the US are all part of what one could describe 'the western world'. Actions taken by a constituent member of 'the western world' can reflect badly on other members as we all tend to get tarred with the same brush. So when a consitituent member of 'the western world' (that includes not only USA but UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc.) does something I deem to be morally reprehensible or engages in actions I don't agree with it makes me irate. It would be like if the governor of California made education for black people illegal and a Texan getting irate or passing comment on it. Crass analogy but you get the point.

Economics is not an issue for me. It has nothing to do with money. The Irish economy is one of the best in the world and the standard of living is excellent so the 'money' argument is null and void.

The sorest point for me is the US support of Israel. The plight of the Palestinians is something I feel strongly about because it reminds me of how the Irish were treated by the British.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-15 04:34:46)

aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6794

usmarine2007 wrote:

I still do not get why people from other countries get so angry with the US and its policies to the point where it is pretty much all you talk about.  Tell me how Iraq effects you?  I mean how does it really effects you? 

I am sure most of you(the older ones) are just like me..... wake up, go to work, come home relax, sleep, and repeat cycle.  On weekends you hang out with friends and family, or do stuff that interests you.  Even here in America, that has not changed for me or anyone I know.  I still get promoted and make more money the harder I work.

Now, for Americans, Iraq can make you mad because it is our tax dollars.  Tell me how it truly affects you in Ireland for example. (not aimed at you Cam)  I know the US economy pretty much affects everyone, but are you broke because of it?  Is your daily life and routine all messed up because of the US?  Somehow I highly doubt it.  Why do I doubt it?  Because it has not even caused me any problems, yet I live here and have even been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know this is a discussion forum, but some of you get way to angry and pissed off at the US to the point where it seems you are obsessed with the USA.  Maybe you put the same effort into worrying about your own country, but it sure does not show.

ps.  For the use of effect and affect being used incorrectly....I know.  I cannot remember the correct usage for some reason right now.
American foreign policy affects me, my friends, my country, my continent.   I know it's the American way to pretend that there's nothing outside of North America but on the enlightened side of the North Atlantic, we know there's other stuff in the world besides us.

My daily routine is to get up, eat, read the news, go to work, do some, check forums, eat, do a bit of work, go home, eat, watch the news, check forums, play computer games a bit, go to bed.  In there I generally add a bit of social time, moreso at the weekend but often going to the pub comes during the day/evening.

Watching/reading the news is important for my job but it also lets me know what's going on in the world and I like that.  I don't want to be an insular person, I don't want to live my entire life here.  I want to go see places, experience cultures and with the news I can see a small part of that.  Having grown up watching the news, I know of Pol Pot and what he did to Kampuchea - useful because I want to visit Cambodia this year.

Also from the news, I heard about the import taxes that USA put on steel (except South African steel, for some bizarre reason) and that put a strain on the British economy.  It almost put British workers out of jobs. I also heard about the "banana war" when the EU nations started buying bananas from non-US approved companies and the US started levying taxes on EU goods.  I also know that Camp Gitmo is alive and kicking, five years after it was opened, and that British residents are still there including two guys that were picked up in Gambia, who'd gone there to set up a peanut factory.

"Now for Americans, Iraq can make you mad because it is our tax dollars"  I like that.  Of course nobody else is paying more tax because their country is fighting this war.  Well it just happens to be a drain on our economy too.  Am I broke?  No.  Do I have less money in my pocket at the end of the month?  Yes.  Taxes go up.  Central government funding to local government goes down so they increase the taxes they claim from us as well.  Double whammy.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

TeamZephyr wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

In the main street of Geelong there used to be a fish'n'chip shop and a pie shop.

They've been replaced by a McDonalds and a Starbucks.
Is that a problem?

Regardless of what you may think the world does not want your culture, we have our own national identity and it is slowly being eroded by American interests, which is one of the reasons many people have a great dislike of the USA.
Or people are just a bunch of cunts looking for something to blame for their lot in life except themselves.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6744|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
The US has given the world an example of a democracy in which everyone, including the most powerful, is subject to legal restraint...This country has historically been in the vanguard of the global human rights movement. But that lead can only be maintained if America remains true to its principles.When it appears to abandon its own ideals and objectives, its friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused. As Harry Truman said, "We all have to recognise, no matter how great our strength, that we must deny ourselves the licence to do always as we please."
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

Varegg wrote:

Dont think most people are obsessed with US politics to the degree you think they are, but when US foreign politics could endanger the rest of the world we are allowed to voice an opinion !

And US politics as of now is pissing some unstable governments off and that could eventually have an inpact on its allies, and that again concerns us imho !
What should concern you is stuff like this also...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070115/ap_ … n_bombings
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

CameronPoe wrote:

The sorest point for me is the US support of Israel. The plight of the Palestinians is something I feel strongly about because it reminds me of how the Irish were treated by the British.
Why shouldn't we support them?  If they hadn't shown restraint during the Gulf War after all those Scuds were being launched at them, then who knows what would have happened.  Not only would the coalition had fallen apart, but I submit it would have started a whole different war.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6831
Things like the 20,000 extra troops being deployed by the US will affect the British troops. In Basra the British were gearing up to begin withdrawl in the next few months, but an escallation by the US forces in Bhagdad may cause a backlash in the Basra area resulting in more British deaths and slowing down/stopping the British withdrawl from the area.

The effects of US politics often has large effects on other countries.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6531|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia

usmarine2007 wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Is that a problem?

Or people are just a bunch of cunts looking for something to blame for their lot in life except themselves.
What are you talking about?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

Things like the 20,000 extra troops being deployed by the US will affect the British troops. In Basra the British were gearing up to begin withdrawl in the next few months, but an escallation by the US forces in Bhagdad may cause a backlash in the Basra area resulting in more British deaths and slowing down/stopping the British withdrawl from the area.

The effects of US politics often has large effects on other countries.
I know it does.  But that is not my question.  Why don't I see just as many threads from UK people complaining about their government getting involved in Iraq?  We didn't force you guys you know.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

TeamZephyr wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

Hes talking about the fact that America has no culture, so he doesnt understand other countries wanting to preserve theirs. Roughly speaking.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6369|Columbus, Ohio

TeamZephyr wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

We know you do not want our culture.  It is not our fault you guys buy it.  Mc Donalds would not just go to another country if there was not any demand.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard