B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6400|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
Im selling my laptop over ebay and im deleteing all my files and programs off it but i dont want the person to be able to recover them for security reasons any ideas? i was thinking about reformatting the comp with the windows xp disc but is this enough to stop them recovering if they wanted to? +1 to hellpfull posts.

Last edited by B00MH3ADSH0T (2007-01-09 20:01:55)

{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6480|New York
Go along with the process of reformatting... then when it asks you to delete the partition that it's going to format windows onto you press "D" then it asks you if you are sure and press "ESC" then it will ask you again and press "L" and BOOM!  Bye bye information.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
Ok thanks for that +1.
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6644|Ames, IA
the win XP format disc is not enough to stop anyone who knows what they are doing.  Various hard drive manufacturers have disc management software for free.  Get that and do a low level format (writes the entire drive to zeros as opposed to re-writing the drive index).

I use this:
Maxblast 4

Last edited by mattrsch (2007-01-09 20:06:32)

{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6480|New York

mattrsch wrote:

the win XP format disc is not enough to stop anyone who knows what they are doing.  Various hard drive manufacturers have disc management software for free.  Get that and do a low level format (writes the entire drive to zeros as opposed to re-writing the drive index).

I use this:
Maxblast 4
This, so I've heard, is a good way to defend from prying eyes from people who really want to get into your drive.  I'd use this as well, just in case.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here

mattrsch wrote:

I use this:
Maxblast 4
Yea i would expect that they would know a fair bit about computers, should i do the windows reformat first and then use that program or just use the program by itself?
-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6546|Carlsbad, CA, USA

B00MH3ADSH0T wrote:

-=CB=-krazykarl wrote:

hopefully this helps; learn how to spell wipe, or how to push the button that says "check spelling".
Yea and can you press the button that says suck my cock bitch?
no, but i can push the one that says "report" have a nice day son. if you would like to talk about this further i would suggest a meeting in person. cbkk
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6644|Ames, IA

B00MH3ADSH0T wrote:

mattrsch wrote:

I use this:
Maxblast 4
Yea i would expect that they would know a fair bit about computers, should i do the windows reformat first and then use that program or just use the program by itself?
I would use Maxblast first, Windows won't do anything Maxblast won't.
spud924
+12|6463|The Sticks, WA, USA
/takes a seat next to {XpLiCiTxX} and {M5}Sniper3 ready for show
keimtime
+18|6403|Nebraska, USA
Darik's Boot and Nuke software also works very well and you can run it from a cd, floppy, or usb drive.

The link is:  http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by keimtime (2007-01-09 20:26:24)

ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6649
krazykarl is just a bitch, just ignore him
s()mtingWong
+48|6703
Use killdisk its free on the net.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
Can someone explain how the booting from cd works?
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6644|Ames, IA
If the comp doesn't at some point during startup say something to the effect of "Press any key to boot from CD" while there is a CD in the drive, you may have to go into the BIOS by pressing delete on the logo screen during boot and browse through the menus until you find something to the effect of boot order or boot priority and make sure your CD drive is listed as higher priority than your HDD.

*edit* it may be something other than delete depending on the computer manufacturer.  (my HP laptop is F12 i think)

Last edited by mattrsch (2007-01-09 20:57:55)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6770|San Antonio, Texas

mattrsch wrote:

*edit* it may be something other than delete depending on the computer manufacturer.  (my HP laptop is F12 i think)
It could be the Del key, F5, or F8. (Never heard of F12.)
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6644|Ames, IA

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

mattrsch wrote:

until now...
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6449|King Of The Islands

/takes a seat behind {XpLiCiTxX}, {M5}Sniper3 and spud924
Oi! Down in front! And pass the popcorn. Aww I hate previews. He's behind you bitch! Run you stupid bitch. AHAHAHAHA What did I say? Oh hang on.. Yeah? Yeah I'm in a forum. I SAID I'M IN A FORUM. FORUM. LIKE A MESSAGE BOARD BUT NOT FROM 20 YEARS AGO. What are you doin? OH YOU DIDN'T. OHAHAHAHO YOU DIDN'T.....

Reformatting your drive won't do shit for someone to use hardware recovery software. I can't think of any just yet but you want to look for a 'hard drive eraser'. Oh and there's free versions, like always.

This one seems nice, haven't read into it.

Then again you could sell it to a dumbarse.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6770|San Antonio, Texas

mattrsch wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

mattrsch wrote:

until now...
Well, you said you think it is F12. If it is then, yes, that would be the first time I've heard of using F12 to get into the BIOS. (I work with custom computers and not manufactured ones like Dell/HP/eMachines, so that's probably why.)

Cheez wrote:

/takes a seat behind {XpLiCiTxX}, {M5}Sniper3 and spud924
Oi! Down in front! And pass the popcorn. Aww I hate previews. He's behind you bitch! Run you stupid bitch. AHAHAHAHA What did I say? Oh hang on.. Yeah? Yeah I'm in a forum. I SAID I'M IN A FORUM. FORUM. LIKE A MESSAGE BOARD BUT NOT FROM 20 YEARS AGO. What are you doin? OH YOU DIDN'T. OHAHAHAHO YOU DIDN'T.....
Hey! You up there! Shut up and sit down... God I hate people like you in theaters...                           

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2007-01-09 22:16:43)

B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
i need one that boots from cd because my hp laptop doesnt have a floppy drive

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard