Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6688
I'm already living it:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/deathbym0nkeyz/7.jpg
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6697|United States of America
My American Dream- For my family to live comfortably and not to have to speak spanish to order a pizza.
OpsChief
+101|6718|Southern California

SysTray wrote:

The original American Dream that you're talking about (probably in American Lit. class?) is based upon money. Wealth was a symbol of status back in the day (and sort of still is) and normally led to all of the family, cars, houses, etc.

If you were rich, you had fulfilled the "dream", although in most cases you ended up in a pool of your own misery and died fairly young.
the "America Dream" falls under the "Pursuit of Happiness" clause. A chicken in every pot, a family for every child, a child for every family, ...or the money thing, out-jonesing the jonesess
IRONCHEF
+385|6532|Northern California
I believe the american dream for many immigrant settlers during the westward expansion of the western states and territories was to have land, home, income and freedom.  As the parcels of land began to shrink, as the taxes became as burdensome as they were for the fleeing immigrants, and as the crime and greed infested those tracts of land..the dream has turned to greed and insatiable wealth instead of the simple luxury expected of the early immigrants.

My dream remains that of having my own home, a spiritually and physically healthy family, and modest means to support it all.  Added means to provide to others is likewise my dream.

Long ago, having been an Amway distributor for a short phase, the principle of having financial freedom was the goal so as to be able to free up time to spend with your family and friends and improve life around you.  I think people go for that "free time" goal of financial freedom, but get tainted by the income and turn into losers with insatiable appetites for more and more.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6597
Isn't it a wrestling move?
BlaZin'Feenix
I'm just that good
+156|6661|Cork, Ireland
I live in Ireland so...
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6629|sWEEDen
The american dream? I beleive  it´s more of a general dream then most think, why should americans be the only ones wanting to live in peace and welfare ?
Commie Killer
+192|6429
Somehow get married to the girl I know I will marry and who loves me as much as I love her, spend 4+ years in the USMC, go to collage, start investing money, build my own house that I would want to raise my kids in, start a family, get a well paying job, get a F150 that I will keep for the rest of my life, have fun. Thats my form of a American dream, an American dream 150 years ago? Buy the farm, marry your girl, start a family, work the farm, make money, and continuously progress upwards. What makes us so great as humans( and bad) is that we always want to do better, improve(though our opinions on what that may mean are greatly different). OK, Im done with my rant(if you wanna call it that).
eagles1106
+269|6625|Marlton, New Jersey.
A big penis?

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-12-29 22:31:28)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6447|North Carolina

stryyker wrote:

so whats the American Dream to you?
This is kind of a confusing question in that the concept of the American Dream is one dependent on society's dominant values.  That being said, I'd say the teachers were correct in their response.  Most people do get married at some point, and raising kids is a big goal in many people's lives.

Personally, my dream is to be financially independent and able to financially handle anything life throws at me.  Marriage and kids are optional in my book.  For the time being, I'm pretty comfortable with being a swinger for life... 
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6764|Eastern PA
A good job and a woman that gives you lots of booty.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

Opportunity to achieve anything you want no matter who you were or where you came from. It was the idea that with hard work and perseverance nothing was impossible. It originated from the immigrants who came to our country with a "Dream". The dream now is to lay on the couch all day and not get bitched at by your wives/girlfriends.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6638
I've read A Raisin in the Sun twice.  First in gradeschool, I didn't really know what the American Dream was.  Second time was Freshman in high school...still, not a clue.  The typical American Dream as I see it is Big house, nice family, well-paying job and a fancy car...but I don't see myself ending up with any of that.

Now, being 2 years older than that (Senior) I have but the faintest notion of what MY American Dream is.  I want, what we all want, to pursue what makes me happy.  The only problem with that is...I don't know what makes me happy.  Not trying to sound emo or anything, but a 9-5 job could never make me happy.  What makes me happy is this: Playing Ultimate Frisbee with my friends, laying out, throwing, running and catching the disc.  Going longboarding by myself with my camera, no sounds but the wheels rollin' beneath my feet.  Hanging with my buds at the movie theatre and throwing coins at each others cars.  That is what makes me happy and if they had a job for stuff like that, I'd be all over it.

My 3 cents.

Yes Three(3) cents.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard