[UK]Blazing.Armour
+12|6663
A nuke or Atomic bomb would only increase the chances of an asteroid hitting the earth and with more fatal results if the asteroid was large enough. If the NEO was blasted into chunks of rock (which is unlikely) then the spread of the rocks would give it a bigger danger zone also.

Apparently, some guy who I've forgotten the name of has had an idea about getting rid of a meteor or asteroid with a machine that can pull up to a NEO and use vice like grips to grab it and move it away from danger. Certain governments have considered the idea and might fund the plans to build it. It sounds completely insane; why do politics and governments take such high risks instead of just listening to common logic. One step at a time. Look before you leap and such.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6621|132 and Bush

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

It has very small chance that an asteroid will kill us all. First of all, noone knows what kind of technology we'll have at that given time. Second: the numbers that astronomists are working with are very very great and the chance of miscalculation is very high. If they wrong by just lets say 0.000000000000001 than chances are that the asteroid will miss Earth by thousands of kilometers. Third: there are many things that even the astronomists cant see. Maybe that asteroid will pass by another asteroid or planet so close that the gravity of that asteroid/planet would change the course of the asteroid, and so on.
IMO we should concentrate on the problems at hand and not on some asteroid that will probably hit the earth in 200 years.
It will happen, it is a fact. True it's more probable that something else will wipe us off the planet before said events. A potato almost wiped out Ireland and the Bird flu was serious business in Asia. But again someone else believes you have to abandon other research in order to pursue this. It is possible to pay more attention to NEO's without giving up on other projects. The A or B only line of thinking is not practical. Your description of how high the rate of miscalculation should only promote the need for more research.

We get hit much more than you think. We are not only talking about global killers.

US DOD FIREBALL RELEASE

Fireball Detection
On 9 December 1997, sensors aboard DOD satellites detected the impact of a meteoroid at 08:15:55 UTC roughly midway between Nuuk and Qaqortoq, Greenland. The object broke into at least 4 pieces. One piece detonated at an altitude of about 46 km at 62.9 degrees North Latitude, 50.9 degrees West Longitude.

The remaining 3 pieces detonated in close proximity to one another at altitudes between 28 km, at 62.9 degrees North Latitude, 50.1 degrees West Longitude and 25 km at 62.9 degrees North Latitude, 50.0 degrees West Longitude.

Fireball Detection
On 11 January 1998, sensors aboard DOD satellites detected the impact of a meteoroid at 07:11:13 UTC roughly midway between Denver and Grand Junction, Colorado. The object was detected at 39.4 degrees North Latitude, 106.4 degrees West Longitude.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-29 01:52:02)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6775
I did not mean that we should stop all research regarding these threats, I just think that it shouldnt be our 1st priority concern nor the 2nd or 3rd. There are too many things going on here and now which are big problems too.
Anyway I still have doubts about that asteroid hitting us. Call me narrow minded but the only situation that it will be a FACT is when it have hit us...that doesent mean that we should absolutely ignore it.

P.S.: I know that many small asteroids enter the atmosphere, there are some that even reach ground level but they take much less victims than e.g.: famine in africa.

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2006-12-29 02:08:48)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6695|Canberra, AUS

stryyker wrote:

Truth of the matter is Physics.

Its impossible to stop a 1,000,000,000 ton rock from smashing into the earth at 181,000 Miles an hour.

--All that "landing on the asteroid" Armageddon bullshit will never work
Stop? Impossible. Deflect? Very possible.

There are already methods to deflect asteroidsof any sort. No, it doesn't involve nukes. Sending nukes into space is stupid - what if the nuke blew on the launchpad (a very strong possiblity given what it is subjected to)? Then you're screwed.

No, this plan involves a satellite with a giant mirror, using a very nifty little trick of physics. It will work with ANY type of asteroid - another advantage over nukes. It is based on sound physics, it doesn't require any radically new technology (the type of craft required is already up there in decent numbers). The only thing is you need to give it about a decade for it to deflect the asteroid safely - so long period comets will be a bit of a problem - but we're talking about asteroids, aren't we?

Finding asteroids, however, ain't easy. If you illuminated all the asteroids in the sky at night so they looked like stars - night would be unbearably bright, much brighter than day. There are a lot of asteroids out there. But most are tiny - even the big ones (I'm talking about the 100m+ ones) are practically invisible - like looking for a grain of black sand on a white beach. I mean, there just isn't words to describe how amazingly small an asteroid is in the amazingly large space. However, they DO find them - one of the ones they found is on a definite collision course for earth - in 2880 (so we don't really need to worry about that one). One more comment on the size of space - the likeliness of an asteroid hitting is incredibly low. Near misses happen all the time (the closest one has come is about 150 000km I believe). But the earth is a sphere about 15000km in diameter (I can't remember the exat figure but a few thousand k doesn't make a difference in this scenario). Tiny. Tinier than tiny. I mean, the chances of it happening... no words to describe.

In all likelihood, the first you'll know of an approaching asteroid is probably a few weeks from impact, in which case it's too late to do anything about it. Asteroids are unreflective and therefore kinda hard to detect - and the chances of anyone looking at the right patch o sky at the right time, let alone seeing it, are lower than low.

If it DOES happen, the chances of anything - anything at all - dying off is quite small. Anyone heard of the Manson impact? I doubt you have. Just a few million years from the KT impact (the dinosaur-killing one - and I can't remember if it's a few million years before it or after it ) a sizeable asteroid (100m, maybe?) hit the earth at Manson, Iowa. The amount of devestation would've been apocalyptic. Global climate would've altered for years, if not decades, following the period of intense destruction from the blast, fires, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes and hte like. But not ONE known extinction resulted from the Manson impact (that says a lot about us, too - we've done exponentially more damage to the biosphere than a 100m asteroid impacting at several hundered kilometres a seond - though the fossil record is not to be trusted as an accurate account of the number of species - or anything else, really). Though if a mass extinction DOES occur, it'll be overall, over time, good for the planet. Mass extinctions are the most effective way to drive evolution foward. Cambrian explosion? came after a mass extinction. Dinosaurs? After a mass extinction. Mammals came after a mass extinction, and then grew to an almost unrealistic degree. You had 'guinea pigs the size of rhinos and rhinos the size of a two-storey house'.

So no, I don't think we need to be worried.

I read it somewhere that an asteroid flying in a direct course towards the Earth would simply burn up in the atmosphere and would at least half its size before it were to hit the Earth, it would make a crater the size of a couple of kilometers in diameter and would barely harm the inhabitants of the Earth unless, of course, it hit the ocean and made some crazy arsed tsunami which engulfed the world and killed off 5 billion people or it hit a major city like Tokyo or something, which is self explanatory. There are plenty of craters of that size 'round the Earth.

The same occurs with space shuttles, entering Earth's orbit after a space mission or the like. They have to enter orbit at certain angles and certain, low, speeds so as not burn up.

See, if I had the ability to run at the speed of a comet, around your average sporting field, I'd burn up. It's pretty logical, because air, in fact, does provide some form of friction. Much like getting a piece of wood, and putting up against a sander. After some time, it just reduces it to nothing.
I don't know where you read that, but I think stryyker's got an answer for you to your asteroid-angle problem. I don't think any amount of air provides enough friction to stop a 500m chunk of iron travelling at several hundred k's a second. Space shuttles worry about this because they aren't iron behemoths several hundred metres across, they're plastic capsules about 20m across. What WILL happen in an asteroid impact is that the air underneath the point of entry (to the atmosphere) will not be able to get out, and pressurized air gets hot. Anything below the point of entry or the flightpath will be not so much fried - well, imagine what an atomic bomb would do to someone when they're within walking distance of the blast.

However, asteroids to blow in midair, so to speak, causing immense devestation in the vicinity of the blast. Tunguska was a good example of this. Though if it did explode over water - then you've basically got a nice big tsunami, yes. But it won't 'kill 5 billion people', not if tsunami dynamics are anything to go by. Generally islands and reefs make good blocks against tsunamis. And they generally don't get into multiple oceans with any kind of force, unless it's the kind of impact where it hits around the boundry of the oceans.

The heat caused by the asteroid generally does burn it up. That's where meteor showers come from. But at this size and speed... you're talking burning up several million tonnes of iron in a single second (which is about the time which the asteroid is in the atmosphere)

Blow the fucker up with a couple nukes. I think the US can spare a few.A few problems.

1. How do you get it off the ground? We don't have a rocket big enough to launch it. The last one was Saturn V - and tha plans for that were thrown out years and years ago. Plus there's the small problem of stopping it blowing the launch pad to kingdom come.

2. The most likely outcome of directly blasting it would be to turn it into a string of radioactive meteors. So, you send up a few nukes to blow it, and in return you get (the equivalent) of several thousand nukes raining all over the globe.

3. Trying to deflect the meteor with a well-timed blast is a clever idea (once you get around problem 1) but there's a small problem. Most asteroids are iron, very solid. Those will be deflected, and you'll be OK. But some asteroids are different in composition, and you might as well attack it with a sledgehammer for all the good it'll do.

So nukes should remain on the ground, I think.

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas
The size of texas?! Are you kidding me? There's only one asteroid the size of texas, thanks, and that's one called Ceres. An asteroid of that size would breach the upper mantle and give the earth a totally new atmosphere (one without oxygen) and give it a lava coating. Plus there never was an asteroid impact at the end of the Jurassic. The KT impact (Cretaceous-tertiary) was only about 1 km in diameter. The worst extinction ever (the permian extinction, killed off 95% of species) was nothing to do with an impact.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6740|California

I sense the ultimate irony:

an Asteroid hits the day before a $100 trillion starwars program is launched.

zing!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6621|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas
The size of texas?! Are you kidding me? There's only one asteroid the size of texas, thanks, and that's one called Ceres. An asteroid of that size would breach the upper mantle and give the earth a totally new atmosphere (one without oxygen) and give it a lava coating. Plus there never was an asteroid impact at the end of the Jurassic. The KT impact (Cretaceous-tertiary) was only about 1 km in diameter. The worst extinction ever (the permian extinction, killed off 95% of species) was nothing to do with an impact.
Is Pluto (or what was Pluto) bigger than Texas? That's at least one (134340) . Dwarf planet a ball of rock and ice, same difference .

BTW the Texas size info came from a history channel special that inspired this post. It's Armageddon week.
I think I was confused as to the location. (The yucatan is near Texas). But most estimates I have seen say the size was about 6 miles in diameter.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-29 02:43:04)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6604|Finland
Yeah an comet will hit us, but I wonder that when they say that we have enough nukes to blow up earth, why we couldnt blow up a comet that is much smaller.
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6490

stryyker wrote:

Truth of the matter is Physics.

Its impossible to stop a 1,000,000,000 ton rock from smashing into the earth at 181,000 Miles an hour.

--All that "landing on the asteroid" Armageddon bullshit will never work
its possible using nukes to divert it. simply blowing it up would actually be worse than letting it hit us lol.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6675|United States of America

Spark wrote:

There are already methods to deflect asteroidsof any sort. No, it doesn't involve nukes. Sending nukes into space is stupid - what if the nuke blew on the launchpad (a very strong possiblity given what it is subjected to)? Then you're screwed.
Dude, ICBMs are shot into space.  Even if it is not shot to "outter space" they still go through a launch process.

As long as you design the Nuke with safety measures, I think you would just risk releasing radioactivity and not an nuke explosion if rocket launch fails.

Any way, I would think if you deflected or slowed an astroid to pretty much any degree weeks before impact, you would likely cause it to miss earth considering how fast the earth is moving and the need for an astroid to hit the atmosphere at just the right angle to prevent it from burning up/skipping out of a real good impact with earth.  Therefore I am for shooting a shit ton of Nukes at it early and often.  Of course this is just my ass talking, and it has been wrong before.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6660|Your moms bedroom
I watched a program on tv that the entire life span of our solar system based on the age of the sun and when it will burn out, If compared on the timeline of a day, we are currently at 10:45 a.m., hopefully humans will be around till midnight when the sun blows up, but by then, we will probably have colonized other star systems... that is, if a giant asteroid doesnt wipe us out like it did to the dinosaurs

on a second note, you wouldnt need a massive explosion to destroy an asteroid, the further away you detect the asteroid the easier it is to deflect because all you need to do is slightly alter its flight path, of course, that is if you could detect it from far away. The closer it gets the more massive the explosion you would need

Last edited by Locoloki (2006-12-29 10:36:31)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6682|USA
I like this site for all my catastrophic needs. Well, just to read what NASA's doing lately.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6786|UK

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

But maybe some military equipment may help destroy the asteroid lol... Well if the US even put 10% of the military budget into that space program I think that will be enough.
It's so fucking immature.  I wish people in politics were a little more intelligent and would realize that killing people does nothing... fuck there is a really annoying high pitched sound coming from my computer right now.. I can't hear myself think!
It makes you wonder what we could have accomplished if we all worked together. I can imagine an alien species keeping a watchful eye over us and seeing our determination to start wars and kill each other throughout our existence. They are surley saying "WTF?".

I would be crusing around in my flying car right now if everyone would just "get along"..lol
I agree. However its during times of war that scientific discovery is enhanced as the governments pump tons of cash into research.
IRONCHEF
+385|6511|Northern California

Kmarion wrote:

Let's not limit our planet destroying topics to Global warming. The odds of our planet being struck by a Comet or Asteroid causing catastrophic damage are one hundred percent. We have all heard it's not if but when. So far I know of only a few programs in the United States and the UK that are dedicated to tracking and finding solutions (NASA Sponsored). What other programs are you aware of? Who else is keeping an eye on the skies and preparing for the inevitable? It seems to me there is not nearly enough attention given to this considering the probable results.

http://our2142.com/Mat/180px-Asteroid_2004_FH.gif
As of August 31, 2006, 4,187 NEO's have been discovered: 57 near-Earth comets and 4,130 near-Earth asteroids. Of those there are 330 Aten asteroids, 1,613 Amor asteroids, and 2,181 Apollo asteroids. There are 792 NEO's which are classified as potentially hazardous asteroids. Currently, 162 PHA's and 838 NEA's have an absolute magnitude of 18 or brighter, which roughly corresponds to at least 1 km in size.

If you are interested in how scientist rate the threats. The Toino scale is a method for categorizing the impact hazard associated with near-Earth objects (NEOs) such as asteroids and comets. 833 Potentially Hazardous Asteroids
Haha, somebody's been watching "Armageddon Week" on the History Channel! lol  I've been watching it too.  Loved that Siberian one.

Yeah, I was thinking that while it's likely that something big could hit and kill us all, or many of us..i don't even worry about it.  If it happens, it happens.  And knowing what I know about life (this one and the next), I'm definately not worried...it'd just be nice if the whole family goes at once.  Further, because of religious knowledge, I'm quite certain that won't be the way the world will be destroyed, so I don't put stock in it.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6786|UK
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2006-152

Now that is cool. They have been there 3 years and havent fucked up. They should build some kind of repairing robot to go to the other robots just incase they decide to fuck up now as they should of ages ago.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6545|South Florida

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Agreed, the budget for this kind of research is pathetic compared to military spending.
But maybe some military equipment may help destroy the asteroid lol... Well if the US even put 10% of the military budget into that space program I think that will be enough.
It's so fucking immature.  I wish people in politics were a little more intelligent and would realize that killing people does nothing... fuck there is a really annoying high pitched sound coming from my computer right now.. I can't hear myself think!
So your telling me that killing Osama Binladen and Sadam Husain those terrorist leaders does nothing??

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2006-12-29 10:42:16)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6786|UK

IRONCHEF wrote:

Haha, somebody's been watching "Armageddon Week" on the History Channel! lol  I've been watching it too.  Loved that Siberian one.

Yeah, I was thinking that while it's likely that something big could hit and kill us all, or many of us..i don't even worry about it.  If it happens, it happens.  And knowing what I know about life (this one and the next), I'm definately not worried...it'd just be nice if the whole family goes at once.  Further, because of religious knowledge, I'm quite certain that won't be the way the world will be destroyed, so I don't put stock in it.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Damn I love religious nut jobs. They make the world a funnier place, if a bit more dangerous too.
IRONCHEF
+385|6511|Northern California

Major_Spittle wrote:

Therefore I am for shooting a shit ton of Nukes at it early and often.  Of course this is just my ass talking, and it has been wrong before.
Yep, it would be a good way to get rid of our stockpiles of nukes.  It would be a step towards world peace of all the nuke powers would dedicate several hundred nukes for space defense, and then begin an international group to fund space watchers and beef up their sky watching ability and really work on it.  We already know we can land on asteroids, and we know the composition of asteroids, so it can't be hard to break them up, deflect them, or redirect them.  Maybe we could make some space ship tug boats while we're at it!
arson
+99|6656|New York
Alot of us here in the U.S. grew up playing Asteroids. The government planted that game for a reason. We are already trained to handle this should the need arise....
acidkiller187
+123|6650
I bet stryykers "BABY SIG" will KARATE that thing back into Outer-Space. And therefore I is not scared... 1.000.000.000.00 PFFFFT!... Bitch I ain't never scared...
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6545|South Florida

arson wrote:

Alot of us here in the U.S. grew up playing Asteroids. The government planted that game for a reason. We are already trained to handle this should the need arise....
ahahahaha good
15 more years! 15 more years!
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6670|Keyboard

acidkiller187 wrote:

I bet stryykers "BABY SIG" will KARATE that thing back into Outer-Space. And therefore I is not scared... 1.000.000.000.00 PFFFFT!... Bitch I ain't never scared...
That sig reminds of what would yoda looked like when he was a baby
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6675|United States of America

arson wrote:

God help us all, I would always panic and teleport my space ship only to reappear 1/10th of a second infront of another astroid and be destroyed.

Good thing the government planted Defender for plan B, so we would be trained to evacuate people after impact. 

And PacMan is to train us in manuvering through the after life with evil spirits lurking.  Plan C.  Whomp Whomp. GAME OVER
AllmightyOz
+50|6506|United States - Ohio
you guys musta watched that asteroid shit on the history channell last night like I did.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6590|Portland, OR, USA

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

So your telling me that killing Osama Binladen and Sadam Husain those terrorist leaders does nothing??
Oh no, it does something, it makes them a hell of a lot more angry.  It's like throwing rocks and a hornets nest.

Would you be pissed if someone came in and started taking over and killing your leaders?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6621|132 and Bush

IRONCHEF wrote:

lol, I said in one of the post that's what inspired this .
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard