Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Let's not limit our planet destroying topics to Global warming. The odds of our planet being struck by a Comet or Asteroid causing catastrophic damage are one hundred percent. We have all heard it's not if but when. So far I know of only a few programs in the United States and the UK that are dedicated to tracking and finding solutions (NASA Sponsored). What other programs are you aware of? Who else is keeping an eye on the skies and preparing for the inevitable? It seems to me there is not nearly enough attention given to this considering the probable results.

https://our2142.com/Mat/180px-Asteroid_2004_FH.gif
As of August 31, 2006, 4,187 NEO's have been discovered: 57 near-Earth comets and 4,130 near-Earth asteroids. Of those there are 330 Aten asteroids, 1,613 Amor asteroids, and 2,181 Apollo asteroids. There are 792 NEO's which are classified as potentially hazardous asteroids. Currently, 162 PHA's and 838 NEA's have an absolute magnitude of 18 or brighter, which roughly corresponds to at least 1 km in size.

If you are interested in how scientist rate the threats. The Toino scale is a method for categorizing the impact hazard associated with near-Earth objects (NEOs) such as asteroids and comets. 833 Potentially Hazardous Asteroids
Xbone Stormsurgezz
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6723|California

Truth of the matter is Physics.

Its impossible to stop a 1,000,000,000 ton rock from smashing into the earth at 181,000 Miles an hour.

--All that "landing on the asteroid" Armageddon bullshit will never work
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

stryyker wrote:

Its impossible to stop a 1,000,000,000 ton rock from smashing into the earth at 181,000 Miles an hour.

Well civilization will end, hey, why don't we just fuck society?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

stryyker wrote:

Not now, no. That's kind of the point of research. Through out history there has been many people who have said it can never be done only to be proved wrong. I would hope this is one of those events also.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
All flippancy aside, I think we should cross this bridge when we come to it.  It's much easier to slow global warming than it is to stop an asteroid from killing us off.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

All flippancy aside, I think we should cross this bridge when we come to it.  It's much easier to slow global warming than it is to stop an asteroid from killing us off.
You say that as if you have to give up one for the other.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA

Kmarion wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Not now, no. That's kind of the point of research. Through out history there has been many people who have said it can never be done only to be proved wrong. I would hope this is one of those events also.
if we spend more money killing each other rather than spend it on research, you bet your ass we'll be blasted to smithereens as soon as one of those bad boys comes our way
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

stryyker wrote:

if we spend more money killing each other rather than spend it on research, you bet your ass we'll be blasted to smithereens as soon as one of those bad boys comes our way
Agreed, the budget for this kind of research is pathetic compared to military spending.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
penguin.killer
+75|6483
who cares, i will be dead when it happens
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Agreed, the budget for this kind of research is pathetic compared to military spending.
But maybe some military equipment may help destroy the asteroid lol... Well if the US even put 10% of the military budget into that space program I think that will be enough.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CommieChipmunk

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

But maybe some military equipment may help destroy the asteroid lol... Well if the US even put 10% of the military budget into that space program I think that will be enough.
It's so fucking immature.  I wish people in politics were a little more intelligent and would realize that killing people does nothing... fuck there is a really annoying high pitched sound coming from my computer right now.. I can't hear myself think!
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6777
Blow the fucker up with a couple nukes. I think the US can spare a few.
trevoraj
who?!?!
+3|6637|London

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It's so fucking immature.  I wish people in politics were a little more intelligent and would realize that killing people does nothing... fuck there is a really annoying high pitched sound coming from my computer right now.. I can't hear myself think!
problem is - of course - that military might=political clout and money. no way that's gonna end... even the UK are desperate to cling on to nukes
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It makes you wonder what we could have accomplished if we all worked together. I can imagine an alien species keeping a watchful eye over us and seeing our determination to start wars and kill each other throughout our existence. They are surley saying "WTF?".

I would be crusing around in my flying car right now if everyone would just "get along"..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

It makes you wonder what we could have accomplished if we all worked together. I can imagine an alien species keeping a watchful eye over us and seeing our determination to start wars and kill each other throughout our existence. They are surley saying "WTF?".

I would be crusing around in my flying car right now if everyone would just "get along"..lol
QFT, thinking about it makes me sick.. but when you take it down to a really small scale, like say.. a neighborhood and look at all of the rivalries and fights and whatever goes on there, then blow it up an a worldwide scale, you can see how it will never work... I'd like to nuke my neighbors sometimes.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas. It would take much more than a couple to move something like that coming at you at 6 miles per second. The worst case NEO we have found is 1950DA. The odds are one in three hundred right now that 1950DA will hit but the numbers seem to be decreasing. It is expected to be closest in 2088 and it is over 1 km in size. That would cause large scale and possibly global damage.

I remind you that we have only mapped a small fraction. The image that is in the opening post was not detected until 3 days before it's near miss.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-29 01:02:25)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
xtrem3_4c3_4
+9|6549
i think it would be good for an asteroid to threaten earth because it would Unite all the major countries and they would have to help eachother to prevent it from hitting us thus bringing world peace...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

Kmarion wrote:

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas. It would take much more than a couple to move something like that coming at you at 6 miles per second. The worst case NEO we have found is 1950DA. The odds are one in three hundred right now but the numbers seem to be decreasing. It is expected to be closest in 2088 and it is over 1 km in size. That would cause large scale and possibly global damage.

I remind you that we have only mapped a small fraction. The image that is in the opening post was not detected until 3 days before it's near miss.
I think someone should tell the government that we need a solution before it's too late.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6777

Kmarion wrote:

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas. It would take much more than a couple to move something like that coming at you at 6 miles per second. The worst case NEO we have found is 1950DA. The odds are one in three hundred right now that 1950DA will hit but the numbers seem to be decreasing. It is expected to be closest in 2088 and it is over 1 km in size. That would cause large scale and possibly global damage.

Edit: A shitload of nukes.

Problem solved.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

The one that ended the Jurassic period was the size of Texas. It would take much more than a couple to move something like that coming at you at 6 miles per second. The worst case NEO we have found is 1950DA. The odds are one in three hundred right now but the numbers seem to be decreasing. It is expected to be closest in 2088 and it is over 1 km in size. That would cause large scale and possibly global damage.

I think someone should tell the government that we need a solution before it's too late.
The problem is people worry about the immidiate (The economy,wars,etc..). Politicians will always play to that. None of that really matters much when a dust cloud is covering the entire earth blocking the sun. Now that's a solution to global warming..lol

Until we has some kind of definitive threat of annihilation governments will not pay attention. I'm sure by the time they do it will be too late. It's a guarantee this will happen. Humans have only been on this planet for a very short time.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-29 01:07:48)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
BattlefieldMedic
+25|6603|Sydney City, THE city.
I read it somewhere that an asteroid flying in a direct course towards the Earth would simply burn up in the atmosphere and would at least half its size before it were to hit the Earth, it would make a crater the size of a couple of kilometers in diameter and would barely harm the inhabitants of the Earth unless, of course, it hit the ocean and made some crazy arsed tsunami which engulfed the world and killed off 5 billion people or it hit a major city like Tokyo or something, which is self explanatory. There are plenty of craters of that size 'round the Earth.

The same occurs with space shuttles, entering Earth's orbit after a space mission or the like. They have to enter orbit at certain angles and certain, low, speeds so as not burn up.

See, if I had the ability to run at the speed of a comet, around your average sporting field, I'd burn up. It's pretty logical, because air, in fact, does provide some form of friction. Much like getting a piece of wood, and putting up against a sander. After some time, it just reduces it to nothing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

BattlefieldMedic wrote:

I read it somewhere that an asteroid flying in a direct course towards the Earth would simply burn up in the atmosphere and would at least half its size before it were to hit the Earth, it would make a crater the size of a couple of kilometers in diameter and would barely harm the inhabitants of the Earth unless, of course, it hit the ocean and made some crazy arsed tsunami which engulfed the world and killed off 5 billion people or it hit a major city like Tokyo or something, which is self explanatory. There are plenty of craters of that size 'round the Earth.

The same occurs with space shuttles, entering Earth's orbit after a space mission or the like. They have to enter orbit at certain angles and certain, low, speeds so as not burn up.

See, if I had the ability to run at the speed of a comet, around your average sporting field, I'd burn up. It's pretty logical, because air, in fact, does provide some form of friction. Much like getting a piece of wood, and putting up against a sander. After some time, it just reduces it to nothing.
Of course, that is the benfit of having an atmosphre. Take a look at the moons surface which does not. Also take a look at the Tunguska event and imagine what the result would have been if this had been over a major city.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BattlefieldMedic
+25|6603|Sydney City, THE city.

Kmarion wrote:

BattlefieldMedic wrote:

Of course, that is the benfit of having an atmosphre. Take a look at the moons surface which does not. Also take a look at the Tunguska event and imagine what the result would have been if this had been over a major city.
OK, so what's the point of this thread?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

BattlefieldMedic wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

BattlefieldMedic wrote:

OK, so what's the point of this thread?
Did you read the opening post?
"What other programs are you aware of? Who else is keeping an eye on the skies and preparing for the inevitable?"
Xbone Stormsurgezz
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6758
It has very small chance that an asteroid will kill us all. First of all, noone knows what kind of technology we'll have at that given time. Second: the numbers that astronomists are working with are very very great and the chance of miscalculation is very high. If they wrong by just lets say 0.000000000000001 than chances are that the asteroid will miss Earth by thousands of kilometers. Third: there are many things that even the astronomists cant see. Maybe that asteroid will pass by another asteroid or planet so close that the gravity of that asteroid/planet would change the course of the asteroid, and so on.
IMO we should concentrate on the problems at hand and not on some asteroid that will probably hit the earth in 200 years.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard