Poll

Read the first post before voting! Think before you vote please!

A killer without emotion77%77% - 62
A hot-headed killer22%22% - 18
Total: 80
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK
Couldn't find a poll or thread about this topic, direct me to one if there is one......

See, this came up in the pub last night about the Ipswich prostitute girls who had been murdered. It was getting quite heated, and eventually my mate asked this question, which got us thinking (quite hard after a few pints) about the nature of this.

See, we reasoned a killer, not murderer, without emotion, is just like a soldier doing their job, but a hot-headed killer, killing with passion, is worse because they are letting love/hate/anger/ego get in the way of their judgement, and that they havn't thought things through enough. On the fip side, a person who kills without emotion can kill without motive, and is probably more dangerous than someone who is aggreived at someone or something, and lets their emotion guide them. I'm not advocating killing someone here, merely trying to get in the head of the person who killed those five girls, and how he might have been using his emotions at the time.

Open to opinions here, but please keep them as opinions, and no wasting someone else's, they are just as entitled to an opinion as you are
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6765|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
it's not that a soldier kills without emotion, it's they kill without responsibility (mostly) there is a difference..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6674|USA

IG-Calibre wrote:

it's not that a soldier kills without emotion, it's they kill without responsibility (mostly) there is a difference..
A soldier is scared, and yet fights and kills, and is willing to die in defense of his comrades and country, he freely opens himself up to the task, a greater commitment and responsibility than you or I can ever know, but at least I am greatful to them.

To answer the OP..........I can't........................ I think anyone who kills/murders regardless ofreason is out of their mind already, and equally as dangerous.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6765|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
"..i'm greatful to them"

good for you ,i'm sick of war myself, but then had you grown up surrounded by one all your life maybe you would understand just how fucking senseless war is...
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6815
Killing an innocent is a really bad thing.

Having said that I would find someone who killed for no particular reason to be worse than someone who actually had a motive.  The former being more likely to do it again and not care.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6858|Kubra, Damn it!

lowing wrote:

A soldier is scared, and yet fights and kills, and is willing to die in defense of his comrades and country, he freely opens himself up to the task, a greater commitment and responsibility than you or I can ever know, but at least I am greatful to them.
I agree that soldiers are scared and still fight on, but believe that only GOOD soldiers are willing to die for their comrades and country. Every army has deserters and cowards. I believe that we have less of these than most armies, though, and more of the heroes.

This is a hard decision to make. I'm gonna say that the emotionless killers are worse, with the assumption that the emotional killers have motive and are more likely to be caught and prevented from killing again.

Good question, BJenkins!
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6653|Washington, DC

A killer without emotion cannot feel the emotion of remorse, and thus could be tried as insane in a court. A killer with emotion is just as bad, but can feel remorse and suffer penalties in the court system that can either rehabilitate him or send him to his death.
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

IG-Calibre wrote:

See, I thought that soldiers killed because the DO have a responsibility; defense of civilians around them, and security of the peace that they (mostly) fight for. Personally, I can't think of any greater responsibility!

lowing wrote:

To answer the OP..........I can't........................ I think anyone who kills/murders regardless of reason is out of their mind already, and equally as dangerous.
lol, good answer. I hadn't actually found a question to debate this thought-provoking since my R.E. exam!

chittydog wrote:

I agree that soldiers are scared and still fight on, but believe that only GOOD soldiers are willing to die for their comrades and country. Every army has deserters and cowards. I believe that we have less of these than most armies, though, and more of the heroes.

This is a hard decision to make. I'm gonna say that the emotionless killers are worse, with the assumption that the emotional killers have motive and are more likely to be caught and prevented from killing again.

Good question, BJenkins!
lol, thanks for the props, man! Appreciated! And well thought out answer to the question too!

Oh, and my philosophy is 'Don't die for your country, find an enemy who's prepared to die for his. That way, both you and he have the same aim in mind!'

hurricane wrote:

A killer without emotion cannot feel the emotion of remorse, and thus could be tried as insane in a court. A killer with emotion is just as bad, but can feel remorse and suffer penalties in the court system that can either rehabilitate him or send him to his death.
Again, a good answer. Though I'm none to sure about the tried as insane in court bit, wouldn't they just say they're far to dangerous to be in public anymore, lock them up for life, as they obviously feel nothing anyway?

I agree, anyone who murders someone deserves to be punished, but I think maybe the question might have been phrased wrong? By a killer without emotion, I may have been thinking 'someone who doesn't think/care/understand why they are doing it, or if they do, they are aware of the consequences this entails, and yet still go through with it. Maybe by hot-headed, I mean also someone who hasn't thought it through, and is so overcome with emotion the aren't thinking straight. This isn't shifting the goalposts IN ANY WAY, it' just something more to think about, if anyone has got down the post this much!
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6647|Cherry Pie
Great post mate.  Scary times in the UK!
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6591|Oxford

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Unless you're female, addicted to heroin and also a prostitute I wouldn't worry....oh but if you are avoid Ipswich!
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6591|Oxford
If I was tied to a chair knowing I was going to be killed it would be the emotionless killer that got would frighten me.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6768|Houston, TX
I vote for the Emotionless killer as the more dangerous of the two.

Reason being is that the emotionless killer is bound to make less mistakes and is harder to catch.  Emotions tend to blur ones reactions and quicktime judgement.  An emotionless killer can be more methodical, adapt and respond to certain scenarios, decisions, and choices in a way that makes him/her harder to catch. 

This of course is all dependant on the kill being a murder, not just killing someone. (hope that makes sense)

KJ
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Unless you're female, addicted to heroin and also a prostitute I wouldn't worry....oh but if you are avoid Ipswich!
Part of the reason I made this post I because I have an ex girlfriend near Ipswich who I'm still good mates with, known her for years. For her avoiding the town is a bit....problematic, at best (And for the record, no, she isn't a hooker, and the only drug she's addicted is nicotine.......little white cancer sticks of death!!!). She's a clever, streetwise girl, but it does get a bit scary knowing that there is a serial killer on the loose near where she lives, and no-one knows what he could be doing to single, vulnerable women.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6669|Peoria
One who kills without emotion has no capacity for guilt. Guilt is what prevents people from commiting crimes. I don't want to feel guilty, so I don't do bad things. Murdurers can feel guilt, and it prevents them from repeating their crimes. Sociopaths on the other hand cannot feel remorse or guilt, so there is nothing intrinsic inside them to stop them from killing.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6641|InGerLand
A hot headed killer tends to kill only once, unless there are others around who 'got in their way' or they do it for some kind of thrill. This generally means they are easier to catch because an emotionless killer will probably think things through more and find it easier to throw the police off his 'trail'
there are very few true emotionless killers thankfully (except in films), motiveless murder tends to be due to some mental disorder and this means that other factors will exist making the killer just as easy to catch or easier to catch than hot headed killers.
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

sfarrar33 wrote:

A hot headed killer tends to kill only once, unless there are others around who 'got in their way' or they do it for some kind of thrill. This generally means they are easier to catch because an emotionless killer will probably think things through more and find it easier to throw the police off his 'trail'
there are very few true emotionless killers thankfully (except in films), motiveless murder tends to be due to some mental disorder and this means that other factors will exist making the killer just as easy to catch or easier to catch than hot headed killers.
Very true. What do you think drove the Ipswich killer though? I can't see any motive or need to kills those women, and now they have at least two suspects in custody, its got even more confusing!
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6468|The Land of Scott Walker

Bjenkins_X_123 wrote:

On the fip side, a person who kills without emotion can kill without motive, and is probably more dangerous than someone who is aggreived at someone or something, and lets their emotion guide them.
Serial killers are generally characterized by methodical and seemingly emotionless killing.  I'd say they're more dangerous.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6508|England
Some people are just fucked up man thats the end of it...

but who knows mabe killing someone else feels better than sex ? i would'nt know, but then again nither do you
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

LostFate wrote:

Some people are just fucked up man thats the end of it...

but who knows mabe killing someone else feels better than sex ? i would'nt know, but then again nither do you
Its probably a sad case of whatever floats their boat, they can't get satisfaction out of sex, or they can't even GET sex, so they need another way to feel more like a man. And they feel like killing someone makes them more of a man, its totally fucked up.
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6698|Moscow, Russia
Well, Russian Criminal Law Code says that murders commited in a fit of passion, or temporary insanity (I can't find a better way of putting it in English) are to be punished less severe than those commited in good state of mind. I think it's right, because a wife who kills her husband who gets drunk and beats up her and their children and a contract killer, for whom killing people has become a job, must be punished very differently.

Last edited by Wasder (2006-12-29 07:14:01)

BVC
+325|6718
Null vote.

If your only concern is the bodycount, consider which of the two types kills more on average.
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

Pubic wrote:

Null vote.

If your only concern is the bodycount, consider which of the two types kills more on average.
IT'S NOT MY ONLY CONCERN; I'm more worried about what they are feeling when they do the deed. But I'll humour you. Who does kill more on average? ( And no, you cannot count soldiers in either)
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6354|teh alien spaceshit
killer without emotion.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6663|Your moms bedroom
i voted emotionless killer<--- makes a good serial killer and he could be your smiling neighbor which scares the shit out of me, the hot-headed killer is probably a little crazy/psychotic and he is your angry, yelling at his wife, "im one second from pulling out a shotgun and ending your barking dogs life" neighbor
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6518|London, UK

Locoloki wrote:

i voted emotionless killer<--- makes a good serial killer and he could be your smiling neighbor which scares the shit out of me, the hot-headed killer is probably a little crazy/psychotic and he is your angry, yelling at his wife, "im one second from pulling out a shotgun and ending your barking dogs life" neighbor
Quite.  Though I not quite sure that someone would kill over how loudly their neighbours dog barks, its still a good arguement!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard