adam1503
+85|6380|Manchester, UK
Okay, so this is a pretty big question.  A lot of Americans seem to believe that their country was solely responsible for saving Europe from Nazi occupation during WWII.  They claim to have single-handedly won the war and to have saved everyone.

On the other hand, many Europeans (infact, most of the rest of the world) believe that America didn't play as crucial a role as they lay claim to.  America joined the war more than half-way through, and only after they were bombed at Pearl Harbour.  They also were responsible for introducing the fission bomb to the world, and for using two on Japan.

Is it just me, or are many Americans full of crap?  How can they claim to have won the war and to have saved Europe from the Nazis?  Who liberated much of mainland Europe from Nazi occupation? Who was able to fend off the Nazi war machine from invasion during the Blitz years?

We should clear this up once and for all: the US cannot claim to have saved Europe from the Nazis.  The US did not win the war alone.

(EDIT: I wanted to add a poll here, but there doesn't seem to be an option for it...)

Last edited by adam1503 (2006-12-14 16:27:32)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
WWII ended when the US won the war in the Pacific after dropping atomic bombs on two of Japan's cities.

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-12-14 16:28:12)

CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM
+36|6464|United States of America
What ingratitude. Next time you're whining out in desperation for our help you can go fuck yourselves.

Last edited by CyrusTheVirus (2006-12-14 16:29:59)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

What ingratitude. Next time you're in crying out in desperation for our help you can go fuck yourselves.
GFY MF

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-12-14 16:29:59)

CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM

DesertFox423 wrote:

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

What ingratitude. Next time you're in crying out in desperation for our help you can go fuck yourselves.
GFY MF
And you call yourself an American?
Herc82
+3|6420|Currently with the Roo's
"    CyrusTheVirus wrote:

What ingratitude. Next time you're in crying out in desperation for our help you can go fuck yourselves."

Well... that's good then... So you don't need the 'coalition of the willing' anymore? ;-)

Last edited by Herc82 (2006-12-14 16:32:57)

DesertFox-
Speak for yourself
Netsfear
+5|6433
Lol what a bollocks thread... Basically The goodies won, and all countries made an equal impact in my opinion... who gives a shit about WHO DID MOST! pfft, celebrate the fact the Nazis lost... CLOSE THIS THREAD!
CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM

Herc82 wrote:

Well... that's good then... So you don't need the 'coalition of the willing' anymore? ;-)
Hehe, GW tells Tony to jump, Tony says 'How high?' - that's the way things work. Tony knows better than to listen to the whining of a minority of anti-war types.
ReDevilJR
+106|6342
If the US didn't join the war, Germany would've taken over. Everyone was evading to England, hadn't it been for US. Germany would've conquered the world. The US DID play a crucial role. End of story.
kilgoretrout
+53|6461|Little Rock, AR

adam1503 wrote:

We should clear this up once and for all: the US cannot claim to have saved Europe from the Nazis.  The US did not win the war alone.
You really think a bunch of people on a Battlefield 2 forum can clear any issue up once and for all?  Heh, good luck.  Anyway, I'm an American, and I believe we basically won the Pacific war, but we had crucial help on that front.  The Russians were crucial to winning the Eastern Eurpoean front, and if the Europeans didn't have the help of US troops, they would not have been able to win the Western European front.  I'm not saying we did it single-handedly.  However, I would argue that without the US, the Allies probably would not have won the war.  Also, without the Russians, the Allies probably would not have won.  Without both the US and Russia, all of Europe would be speaking German right now, that's for sure...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6635
its funny watching a bunch of 9th graders debate the same topic over and over again
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6638

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

its funny watching a bunch of 9th graders debate the same topic over and over again
ReDevilJR
+106|6342

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

10th graders
adam1503
+85|6380|Manchester, UK
Cyrus, your country is the one crying our for help right now.  What was it George said after that power shift in the US... "Got any ideas?". He hasn't got a clue what to do has he.  But this post isnt about Iraq, its about America's arrogant attitude to the rest of the world and how many Americans like yourself seem to think they are better than everyone else.  Not all Americans, mind, but some.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Cant wait for holiday break..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
Damn, I just remembered CyrustheVirus was CamPoe's alternate account...
CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM

adam1503 wrote:

Cyrus, your country is the one crying our for help right now.  What was it George said after that power shift in the US... "Got any ideas?". He hasn't got a clue what to do has he.  But this post isnt about Iraq, its about America's arrogant attitude to the rest of the world and how many Americans like yourself seem to think they are better than everyone else.  Not all Americans, mind, but some.
Well let me see. We're the richest country in the world. We have the best military in the world. We're the leading country in the world in innovation and technology development. We selflessly step in to liberate oppressed people across the globe, including Western Europe in WWII. Better? You do the math.
JG1567JG
+110|6580|United States of America

adam1503 wrote:

Okay, so this is a pretty big question.  A lot of Americans seem to believe that their country was solely responsible for saving Europe from Nazi occupation during WWII.  They claim to have single-handedly won the war and to have saved everyone.

On the other hand, many Europeans (infact, most of the rest of the world) believe that America didn't play as crucial a role as they lay claim to.  America joined the war more than half-way through, and only after they were bombed at Pearl Harbour.  They also were responsible for introducing the fission bomb to the world, and for using two on Japan.

Is it just me, or are many Americans full of crap?  How can they claim to have won the war and to have saved Europe from the Nazis?  Who liberated much of mainland Europe from Nazi occupation? Who was able to fend off the Nazi war machine from invasion during the Blitz years?

(EDIT: I wanted to add a poll here, but there doesn't seem to be an option for it...)
The allies won the war.  None could have done it on their own.
I was just wondering and I don't know the answer.  How much help did the british give us in the Pacific?
I do know that the Soviet Union provided alot of pressure on the Japanese as help.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-12-14 16:42:06)

adam1503
+85|6380|Manchester, UK

kilgoretrout wrote:

adam1503 wrote:

You really think a bunch of people on a Battlefield 2 forum can clear any issue up once and for all?  Heh, good luck.  Anyway, I'm an American, and I believe we basically won the Pacific war, but we had crucial help on that front.  The Russians were crucial to winning the Eastern Eurpoean front, and if the Europeans didn't have the help of US troops, they would not have been able to win the Western European front.  I'm not saying we did it single-handedly.  However, I would argue that without the US, the Allies probably would not have won the war.  Also, without the Russians, the Allies probably would not have won.  Without both the US and Russia, all of Europe would be speaking German right now, that's for sure...
Take note people: that is how to answer a thread constructively.  Maybe you are right, without American help, we might not have won.  But who knows?  Personally, I think it might have taken us longer, but we would have got there eventualy.  My opinion.

And yeah, youre right,  I cant really expect to get this cleared up ever lol.
Reject_Wolf
Former Karkand Addict
+32|6574|Windsor, Ontario, Canada
The war in Europe for the British did not start until the Americans joined in, the British were suspected by the Russians for just letting the Russians and Germans kill each other off.  They really didn't want to fight too much.
Herc82
+3|6420|Currently with the Roo's

ReDevilJR wrote:

If the US didn't join the war, Germany would've taken over. Everyone was evading to England, hadn't it been for US. Germany would've conquered the world. The US DID play a crucial role. End of story.
Ah, I think that's closer... The US did indeed play a crucial role... But I guess that's what some people mistake as 'did ALL the hard work'... I mean without the British standing up to the Germans you wouldn't have had a foothold in Europe (for three years until you came into play...not voluntarily). The German Navy might have been a serious problem on your east coast.. or even been able to help the Japanese in the Pacific theater..

All theory though. Most Europeans appreciate all the help from the US of A (and Canada, Australia, India, England, Scotland, free French, free Polish etc.). It just really sucks if a 16 yo American guy says 'you owe ME'..hehe
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6478|Melbourne

Rofl, what you 10th graders forget, is that the war was won by the Allies, each country played its part, no one country won the war!
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
I get the impression that Cyrus has some anger issues.

Regardless, yeah..  this topic has been beaten to death.  I think we can safely say that all the Allies had important parts to play.

It's not that America saved Europe by itself -- it's that we had a CHOICE whether to fight or not.  We made the choice to help, and the world is better as a result.  Canada was in a similar position as well.
DesertFox-

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Damn, I just remembered CyrustheVirus was CamPoe's alternate account...
Yeah. That bastard needs someone to fix his wagon.

And I quote from "Which Camp Do You Belong To?" on August 8, 2006 at 3:42:15 PM

CameronPoe wrote:

My apologies to HM1{N}, jonsimon, mafia, evieira, ricardoblanco, bubbalo and several other tree-huggers for the comments of CyrusTheVirus. The Virus is now dead and buried. It was hilarious acting like a neo-con for the day. Intransigence and pigheadedness really gets a reaction out of us tree-huggers. I say next time a REAL died-in-the-wool neo-con comes along we ignore him. Because it's futile arguing with them, something I just proved by acting like one with my Cyrus impersonation.
Seems he isn't good for his word.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard