Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6345
Hey gentlemen!
I just joined to say, that I´m spreading the word! Made a thread in one of the bigger German Forums, so that even more people participate!

I´m visiting the bf2s forums on a regularly basis since a few months back. I looked up the stats for an even longer period though .

I appreciate the work chuy and the others are putting into this project and I hate the way EA is handling the issue.
I think though, that this is one of the more reasonable attempts, to "force" EA into communication and I do have a feeling, that this time it might succeed.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys! Me likes teh site

Sisco out.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Krysiss
+15|6476|NL

chuyskywalker wrote:

Thank you for your support,

- Greg Thomas, BF2Player.com
- Jeff Minard, BF2S.com
- Marco Kawon, BF2142Tracker.com / BF2Tracker.com
- Nick van Rossum, BF2142Stats.nl / BF2Stats.nl
Pfff god. How long did take it to consinder this would certainly would happen.
And it's nothing really knew that dice?EA scruw the community much because they did it the same with a mod team WHO WAS MAKING A MECHA MOD

a posted make don moddb page:

We have decided to discontinue this mod entirely, for several reasons.

1. EA. BF2142 had to live, so MTS had to die.

To achieve our goal of combined arms (infantry/battlearmor, tanks, mechs and aerospace), we needed the ability to modify some vital areas of the game code. In BF2, those areas were specifically hardcoded. At first, we did not know why these parts were locked, but the answer is pretty obvious now.

2. Morale. The team has disbanded as we took a very big morale hit when we found that we couldn't even add mechs into the game.

Especially after putting in so much effort into the mod.
Several attempts were made to ressurect the mod, but the initial motivation and enthusiasm to work on it had already died along with the team.

3. Lack of interest and support from the CBT community in general. Ironically, most of the people who supported the mods were non-Battletech fans.

Nobodyreally even cared when MTS died, in fact some even celebrated it. In short, it was not worth the effort to make.

In conclusion, MTS will probably never be ressurected again. BMP is still active, but we are working on other projects.

--------------------------------------
for screens and the info what was happend between EA and them just look at the posts at http://mods.moddb.com/4281/mts-mech-tac … imulation/
------------------------------------
Hey Meldric,

Really, i understand you, i do, and we did mean what we said. The problem was that one thing is to develop a mod with a limited team, with a great amount of difficulty, and i know you know that. That's the part we were "here to stay".

Another entirely is to have EA, DICE, and by their influence, most of the community news sites against us. EA and DICE basically blacklisted us, even going as far as demanding the main community sites to stop carrying news about us. Nobody has admitted this, but it wasn't coincidence that suddenly NOBODY from news sites would reply to us either, and wouldn't carry any news we sent them. Not even TotalBF2, a site which we watched still in closed beta, and had close relations with, they suddenly just stopped responding to us.
At the time we didn't know why, we just met a wall of silence. Of course, a few months later, we learned why: BF2142, that is. MTS was gonna be like it, but better in the sense that it draws on a rich fictional, existing universe, and most of the "new" features in BF2142 were gonna be in MTS.
Blacklisting us because we were developing something for free which they were gonna try to sell with BF2142 was a business decision on their part. I just don't understand why the hell did they need to resort to such tactics.

Anyway, this is all public, so i'm not here to whine about it. Development of MTS on any EA/DICE engine is a no-go because of what they did to us, and can still do. It's a lose-lose situation.

As for another engine, like ETQW.... let's just say we prefer to develop our own IP now, rather than use someone elses (aka Fanpro's and Wizkids').

Last edited by Krysiss (2006-12-16 13:04:37)

Krysiss
+15|6476|NL
Alost guys just scruw EA there are plenty new MO games coming up that isn't comming from EA

ETQT,UT2007 and FFOW FTW
from the mod makers of DC

http://www.frontlineswar.com/
video: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid= … frontlines

Last edited by Krysiss (2006-12-16 13:22:21)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6568|England

I never wanted to buy 2142 (it's futuristic, so its not my style), and this just reinforces my thoughts.

As far as Im concerned, they own the stats feed. They programmed it, coded it and created it. BF2s, BF2player and the other sites didnt. I think that they have a right to withhold any information that they see fit. And I would hold that point of view if they hadnt promised that they would release it from day 1.

That is the real issue here. Whether they just lied to the whole community from the start is just a matter of opinion, and only an EA director could tell you that (although, truthfully? thats debateable).
Whether it was a late change of heart or an outright lie from the start (of which the latter seems the most likely to be true judging by their own stats site) really does affect this, and what has enraged more people.

Lets not forget that EA is a money making corporation. If they can attract the 20000+ people who visit BF2s, BF2player and BF2.nl to their own website, from a business point of view, that makes perfect sense. With EA Shop and advertising all over their website, its more money = more (shoddy) products.
Its a fact of life: the bigger companies always give less to their customers whereas the smaller companies give much more support and value for money since they need customers and the money to stay trading. Big companies can take a hit in profits and recover. Small companies cant. And unfortunatly, EA is just too big of a company to care. Although this isnt always true, it is in a lot of cases.

However, in terms of its player base, they have tore it up. Yes, ok, they may get a lot of people all visiting their forums all from different sites (so itll combine the community), but that isnt what people want. The reason there are different stats sites is because people prefer different styles.
I like the layout of BF2s which is why I use it 99% of the time. BF2player is also very good, although it just lacks that "military feel". With BF2stats.nl I just dont like the layout that much (although its fast updates @20minutes is very useful). With BFHQ, it is just shocking - and you have people who prefer to view their stats without having to load BF2.
With one standardised version by EA, you have lost all of that. For those people who dont like it, hate it and even those who like it - they have to put up with it. That is the reality.
If they had done that from the start with BF2, then this whole issue wouldnt even have arised (and we wouldnt be here talking).

EA have shat all over what is left of this community and then thrown it out the window. From a business POV, they have cracked it. For its playerbase - they are simply a bunch of money making, careless, scamming, lying, incompetant asswipes.

Last edited by Snake (2006-12-16 13:53:51)

Buzerk1
+44|6838
The current EA Stats site doesn't even come close to what was made here and the other site mentionned.

It's poorly made, slow and not even complete. Just for those reason they should release the feed.

That being said, I and others would like to help you to push this issue.... just tell us how and where  in the original post.

Thanks!
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6539|Internetfitlerland

Snake wrote:

EA have shat all over what is left of this community and then thrown it out the window. From a business POV, they have cracked it. For its playerbase - they are simply a bunch of money making, careless, scamming, lying, incompetant asswipes.
That paragraph about sums up everyones feelings.
trevoraj
who?!?!
+3|6636|London

~Smokey~ wrote:

Snake wrote:

That paragraph about sums up everyones feelings.
Sad but true
The only real positive to come out of this for me is that I don't care about my 2142 stats in the way I cared (read: obsessed!) about my bf2 stats - I just enjoy playing 2142 with my friends without thinking about which award  to work on!
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6675|Houston, Texas
I wish you all the best in your efforts to get the stats feed where it should be. EA lost my satisfaction due to the number of problems relating to stats in 2142. Majority of the stat reporting problems were present in the beta, but they chose to ignore them. Fact is, they have half the staff working on the battlefield team as they used to. They also have poor management. For what little battlefield I am playing these days, I've gone back to bf2. No since in worrying about a game which even EA has no true desire for it to honestly be successfull, i've put my 2142 dvd in its case, and in storage. When it only takes a month to get the highest rank, it was obvious this game was not intended to have any shelf life, nor the level of after the fact support like bf2 had - which isnt saying much.
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island
ea and dice can seriously suck on my left nut
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island

Buzerk1 wrote:

The current EA Stats site doesn't even come close to what was made here and the other site mentionned.

It's poorly made, slow and not even complete. Just for those reason they should release the feed.

That being said, I and others would like to help you to push this issue.... just tell us how and where  in the original post.

Thanks!
yea i agree with u...bf2s is so much easier to navigate on than that crappy ea stats site
they need to make some improvements and make it faster and easy as bf2s
Moonraker_x29
First man on Mars
+9|6691|England, GBR

Slickdawg8 wrote:

ea and dice can seriously suck on my left nut
I don't know if Dice are even involved with stats. Surely they code how stats are uploaded etc. / earned etc. But this issue is with EA / IGN isn't it? - Right on with EA, IGN can suck my right bollock.
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6544|Sammamish, WA
I don't disagree with that. While I think you sell the long-term community building aspects of this site (and others like it) a bit short, you are right that it is their product. It's debateable about who the stats belong to (the players who are ultimately responsible for them, or the company who gives them no choice but to aggregate them to location X).

However, the big beef is that we've been told since pre-beta days that we'd be in on the stats for the game, yet every action they've taken seems to say the exact opposite. Our upset is not that we've been told "No, we're keeping the stats in house, sorry.", but that we've been strung along and hung out to dry.
You know I think BF2S has built up such a strong community and user base that even without the stats it could continue to survive on its own merits. While I understand that the stats are a big draw I think that now lots of folks know about this site people will come here simply because it's a large focal point of the community.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6345
The thing that pisses me off the most was already stated here. It´s the gagging order EA has put up. Once in a while they bring up some "news", announcing a lot of things to come and issues being dealt with and then...weeks over weeks nothing.
If they would at least pretend to care about something. If you don't want to release the stats feed, okay, sucks, but it´s your right to do so. But at least SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT, DAMN-IT!

And if you lack the skilled personnel to build up a useful stats site EA, at least get some new people. I´m sure there is a whole bunch of guys, willing to help you out, just for the hell of it!

I would use and visit the EA stats site regularly, but at this point it´s just pathetic. Nothing but pathetic. I´m too lazy to check out what I need to achieve for the next award, then switch section to check out how much I already did towards it. The way it is set up right now is just unhandy, unstructured and simply ugly.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655
I've not even bothered to try the 2142 demo... it just doesn't appeal to me as much as Quake Wars. 

Krysiss wrote:

And it's nothing really knew that dice?EA scruw the community much because they did it the same with a mod team WHO WAS MAKING A MECHA MOD

As for another engine, like ETQW.... let's just say we prefer to develop our own IP now, rather than use someone elses (aka Fanpro's and Wizkids').
Yeah, but Quake Wars will be in a different league mod-wise.  There are completely different attitudes at play.  Provided they follow the to id open source philosophy and GPL the source, that is.

Here's a mod idea which really sticks a middle finger up to EA:  A program which converts BF2 mods/levels into ET:QW format.  It should be technically feasable (not saying easy) and legally acceptable (no copyright materials would be included in release), and it would mean that all the current mods for bf2 could be ported to a decent engine which allows mod teams the ability to write fixes long after EA has stopped patching.  I think anything that helps boost the open game developers and communities and detracts from the big bucks no morals companies is a good thing.

'course if the don't GPL ETQW then I take back everything I just said, as I only have respect for games when they have a serious chunk of C/C++ code available to modders, and haven't hardcoded 90% of the logic and only made inferior script interfaces available.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6572|United States
Uhm... everyone has full access to their 2142 stats ingame. What's the big deal of accessing it from a webpage aswell?
jamiet757
+138|6624

BeerzGod wrote:

Uhm... everyone has full access to their 2142 stats ingame. What's the big deal of accessing it from a webpage aswell?
uhm... why are you on this website if you feel this way?  the main reason is this: i dont want to have to launch the game everytime i want to see something in my stats.  also, ea sucks at layouts, and the way they set up the stats in game is ridiculous, you have to switch between tabs all the time, and it doesnt show you what you need nearly as nice as this site does for BF2.
13rin
+977|6481
I sent this to them again VIA my EA account.  I got the standard FU response that we have all come to expect/adore from EA.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (GM Argain) 12/15/2006 03:37 PM 
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your concerns. All feedback and suggestions regarding Battlefield 2142 game play and balance issues are reviewed and sent to the appropriate teams. We want to thank you though for taking the time to submit your feedback or idea and let you know we really appreciate the dedication our games create.

The Developers from EA/DICE review and read the reports we submit to them in hopes that collecting player's opinion can make a better game. We value all our players' feedback and concerns and consider them very important to the success of Battlefield 2 and all our EA Games. We encourage you to also post your feedback to the BF2 Feedback forums located here: http://forums.easports.com/mboards/cate … goryID=71. These forums are presented to our players to help each other, build community and further communication between Battlefield fans and Developers.

Official Battlefield Website
http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/bf/

Sincerely,

EA Rep Argain
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer 12/14/2006 08:31 PM 
A PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHY I WILL NOT BUY THIS GAME. IT IS OBVIOUS TO THE COMMUNITY THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PLAYER ANYMORE. 

WELL RESPECTED AND MOST FREQUENTED SITES ARE STATING THESE THINGS.  This is a post on BF2s.com..  From the admins and founder who work harder than you guys do.... FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Battlefield 2142 Community,

We, the web sites signed below, have come to an agreement that based on excessive delays, unsatisfactory excuses, and a poor communication EA and its partners; Gamespy, a division of IGN, and Dice, a division of EA, are not planning, nor ever have planned, to release a method for the public to retrieve stats for Battlefield 2142.

While we have already pleaded and begged with EA/DICE/IGN for the release of stats data, they have shown little to no real interest or intent to work with us................... 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entire letter not included for space reasons..
I Think the ALPHA DOG here at BF2s needs to take over EA!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Salinity1
+2|6346

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I Think the ALPHA DOG here at BF2s needs to take over EA!
I'd back that 100%.  Chuy may have to negotiate the back pay owed to him for everything he's already done for their game, but he'd be far better suited to actually delivering the goods - something EA cannot competently argue they've done.  This site is not only well presented, but its well maintained, and the only gaming site I've found where a large percentage of its forum members are mature about what they post. (most of the time )
wrx_sti
+2|6474|USA
EA SUX!  I agree lack of stats = lack of interest in 2142.  Lack of support of the community = lack of people playing the game.  Do EA gets the picture?  BTW the EA stats SUX big too!

Admin, thank you so much for your update and work +2000 for you :-)
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6496|Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I last posted, it's been really hectic and exciting around here lately, anyway when I launch the game, the EA message box says that BF2142 stats can be accessed from the EA website. Either I'm really behind the times (I admit I'm quite old school after disappearing for about a month) or you've been all misinformed.
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6711

Vub wrote:

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I last posted, it's been really hectic and exciting around here lately, anyway when I launch the game, the EA message box says that BF2142 stats can be accessed from the EA website. Either I'm really behind the times (I admit I'm quite old school after disappearing for about a month) or you've been all misinformed.
Read the whole thread.
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6787|Anaheim, CA

Bernadictus wrote:

They should really hire Jeff, he could do the work on his own, where they need 20 engineers.
Word.  I don't have the game either and this pisses me off.  EA/DICE/IGN are the most idiotic people I've ever seen.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6496|Sydney, Australia

cheshiremoe wrote:

Vub wrote:

Read the whole thread.
Yeah, probably should, but I really can't be bothered. So disregard what I posted earlier.
Col.Vind
Bob Saget is my karkand..
+14|6344|Smurfvillage, Gotland
I wish chuy were making our games..
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

Col.Vind wrote:

I wish chuy were making our games..
No, no you don't. Chuy can't program 3d -- you'd end up with this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard