chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6844|"Frisco"

Dear Battlefield 2142 Community,

We, the web sites signed below, have come to an agreement that based on excessive delays, unsatisfactory excuses, and a poor communication EA and its partners; Gamespy, a division of IGN, and Dice, a division of EA, are not planning, nor ever have planned, to release a method for the public to retrieve stats for Battlefield 2142.

While we have already pleaded and begged with EA/DICE/IGN for the release of stats data, they have shown little to no real interest or intent to work with us. At this point, we can do nothing but turn to you, the Battlefield community, to tell our story. We do this so you know that the lack of stats is by no means for a lack of want.

While we hope we have wildly misconstrued events, we believe that EA has never planned to provide stats, and all press releases and/or emails to the contrary were attempts to placate the community until they were able to release their own EA branded stat site.

Excessive Delays

The first confirmed email stating there would definitely be a stats feed was received on Oct 18, 2006. Before then, we have been asking for stats since the early beta stages of BF2142. Since coming out, there has been a press release claiming there would be a stats feed offered to the community and many emails claiming the same. However, outside of these hollow promises, there has been no concrete information offered or efforts to work with leading community websites.

When Battlefield 2 was released it took roughly 2 weeks for IGN to produce a working and viable stats feed. However, despite the fact that 2142 is built on proven technology (BF2) and regardless of the fact that EA has managed to produce a production quality website with stats, we are to this day being told that a stats feed for the community still “isn't ready.” Yet, we have seen successful efforts to grab the data feed like the game does. Some efforts have even gone as far as data scraping the stats directly from the official EA website. If these things can be reverse engineered so quickly, what has taken EA/DICE/IGN so long to create a feed directly from the source?

To prepare, we requested to at least be provided with examples of the data feeds we would be gaining access to so that we could setup our sites. Yet, time and time again EA, Dice, and IGN were unable to provide sample data files or simply wouldn't. Our guess? There isn't really a feed to get sample data files from.

Unsatisfactory Excuses

We've been told, on multiple occasions, that the delay is being caused because of “performance concerns” with the data feed. For a system already tried and tested true from Battlefield 2, where did these mystical performance issues come from? After over a year of operation, this process should be smooth as a whistle. Regardless, where are the performance concerns when it comes to sites like EA's own stat site, or 2142-stats.com which ran, unblocked, for several months. How serious could these so called “performance issues” really be?

Poor Communication

While we think that what we've requested to be fair and simple, perhaps we are incorrect. If that were the case, then the least we would expect is prompt, regular communications about the progress of the project from EA/DICE/IGN. However, we've been ignored for months on end, and when we do get communications from the other side, they are simply regurgitations of the same “please, just wait it's not ready yet” story which has been spoon fed to the community leaders for months.

We publish this letter with the intention of explaining how hard we have tried to bring 2142 stats to the community through 3rd party providers. We wanted you all to know that we haven't given up, and that if there is to be any chance of 2142 stats happening, we're going to need your help to push EA, DICE and IGN into recognizing that there is a desire for this to happen.

Thank you for your support,

- Greg Thomas, BF2Player.com
- Jeff Minard, BF2S.com
- Marco Kawon, BF2142Tracker.com / BF2Tracker.com
- Nick van Rossum, BF2142Stats.nl / BF2Stats.nl
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6782|Bulgaria
Well, that sux, I mean EA sux
Not that I care personally btw, because I play BF2, not this BF2 mod they sell under the name "bf2142".
Anyway, I know that the admins of bf2s.com and BF2Player.com did all they could to provide stats for this game...
+1 for them! I love both sites
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6669|Colorado
They saw the money you guys were making off your sites & decided to steal your action,gg.
Truely shameless how they copied so many of your ideas.
psH
Banned
+217|6380|Sydney
DICE, you SUCK. i repeat, you SUCK.

EA and dice are so god-dam unreliable, BF2S was more helpful than looking on BFHQ
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

The 2142 stats are jacked to crap anyways. they lost it a very long time ago.. PS like my 2142 sig.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6623|Los Angeles, California, US.
Good Luck.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
D6717C
Anger is a gift
+174|6629|Sin City

It will be interesting to see a response from them though, if there is one
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

The OP should have a way we can offer our own personal dissatisfaction . Perhaps if the members of all of the communities listed voiced our opinions in a concentrated effort we would be taken more seriously. (Maybe, probably not)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6743|The United Center
...I don't know if I'd call Battlefield2 "proven technology". 
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6504|Bournemouth, South England
Has BF2 even finished Beta testing yet?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Bill Watters of IGN wrote:

Date Nov 29, 2006 10:06 PM
The BF2142 stat leeching has been halted, and would appreciate if you wouldn’t spin it back up again. I’m working on the community feeds at the moment when we’re not having to deal with improper access. Sites which make use of the illegal feeds may impair their ability to participate in the official programs.

As we get closer to being ready to roll out the community feeds, we’ll be following up with the sites who’ve expressed an interest to get things set up.

Regards,

Bill Watters
Sr. Engineer
Xbone Stormsurgezz
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6743|The United Center

Kmarion wrote:

The BF2142 stat leeching has been halted, and would appreciate if you wouldn’t spin it back up again. I’m working on the community feeds at the moment when we’re not having to deal with improper access. Sites which make use of the illegal feeds may impair their ability to participate in the official programs.

As we get closer to being ready to roll out the community feeds, we’ll be following up with the sites who’ve expressed an interest to get things set up.

Regards,

Bill Watters
Sr. Engineer
Yeah, that's a bullshit letter.  That's one of the most unprofessional things I've ever read.  It sounds as if he's scolding a child who's done wrong.  If anything, he should be praising the people who are working to get the stats feeds...they're some of the most dedicated Battlefield community members.

Bill Watters is a douche.
JG1567JG
+110|6584|United States of America

TrollmeaT wrote:

They saw the money you guys were making off your sites & decided to steal your action,gg.
Truely shameless how they copied so many of your ideas.
Thats what it is.  They see that this site is approaching 25,000 users and BF2player is probably got similar numbers and EA, DICE, and IGN want to push the small guys out.  Hell I'm surprised they didn't cut the stats feed for BF2 just so they could make their own site.

PS I don't even have 2142 and this pisses me off.  The demo didn't run well (laggy) on my comp. so I haven't bought it.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6733

Kmarion wrote:

Regards,

Bill Watters
Sr. Engineer
They should really hire Jeff, he could do the work on his own, where they need 20 engineers.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6825|Grapevine, TX

DaReJa wrote:

Good Luck.
QFE
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
FIGHT!

This community deserves better. WE have stuck up, to be frank, with some of the shit they have spouted out. But this is too far.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I knew 2142 was bad news the day I had to go fishing around through the punkbuster site for files that enabled me not to get kick-banned every two minutes of demo play. Thus why 2142 is in the BF segment of my (incomplete) gamebar.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-14 18:53:35)

OGdR_MadMax
+9|6489|Berlin, Germany
I know why i haven't bought 2142 yet and certainly won't anymore!

Too many Bugs in the game and no Customer-Service...
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6461|Melbourne - Home of Football
I'd certainly like to hear leadership / direction from the sites, their creators and staff, on how best, we, the community, can pressure EA / IGN / Dice.

The problem with a company like EA, is that their overarching imperative is to create value (read increasing profits, and share prices) for their shareholders. Stats sites, like BF2s.com were important in creating a sense of community and brotherhood between players. In fact they would encourage people to play more, and possibly even attract new players.

It is now very evident that EA believes it has this sense of community, that it can take it for granted, and that improvements to it's own stat monitoring in-game and stats site will cater for the hunger of the battlefield player population.

The truth is, that in assuming this, they are mistaken. The community is increasingly being treated with a focus on how much money they can bring to EA (in-game ads is a good example) rather than how our gaming experience can be improved.

Let's hear ideas and suggestions, on how best we, as the BF2S community, can pressure EA to make the community stats feed available, for their benefit, and ours.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6837|Cologne, Germany

Bernadictus wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Regards,

Bill Watters
Sr. Engineer
They should really hire Jeff, he could do the work on his own, where they need 20 engineers.
QFuckin'E

R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6483|Melbourne

can we have the contact email, and spam them?
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6534|Internetfitlerland

Good on ya Chuy for doing everything you can.  Are you planning on sending this to them?

R3v4n wrote:

can we have the contact email, and spam them?
I like this idea.  Someone get me an email address to spam useless content with.

Last edited by ~Smokey~ (2006-12-14 03:04:25)

t2krambo
Banned
+99|6523|Panama
Hey Chuy,

Credits man, Serious!

So this letter has been sent to EA/DICE/IGN?

Ehm, 1 small remark,

The name of the admin of BF2stats.nl/BF2142stats.nl is Vincent Kalf
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6788|Jupiter
Its quite obvious that EA realized how many hits all of these awsome community BF2 sites were getting after having a stats feed on them, so EA "STOLE" this idea and decided it wants the hits on their site. They think that we are going to go to their site and look through all of the worthless shit advertisements and buy something.

EA are the game nazis, they capture and burn anyone who try to do something cool that they want. And now, it has boiled down to taking our stats feed and creating their own stats on the ea.com site.

I hope and pray that all of us here and bf2s.com will NOT be going to their site to look up stats. Boycott their shitty website and demand a stats feed once and for all. No lies, no excuses!

Chuy, you are truely the best ever, you do top notch work here and its extremely appreciated, sit back and relax, let us take care of this "EA" problem. Its time for us, the community, to stand up and fight!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

The OP should have a way we can offer our own personal dissatisfaction . Perhaps if the members of all of the communities listed voiced our opinions in a concentrated effort we would be taken more seriously. (Maybe, probably not)
There is a way, not buying the fucking game, which I did last week.  But, seriously, these assholes don't deserve our money.  They made a "mod" of BF2 and they sell that for 50 bucks and they can't provide stats for the people who spent their money on the shit they sell.  I don't want the EA stats, I like the stats from BF2s.com, they are much better.  Good luck Jeff and Co.  And if there is anything else we can do, like sending a zillion mails to EA and Dice, pls tell us to do so.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard