Poll

What time do you think had the best music?

40s-50s4%4% - 2
50s-60s2%2% - 1
60s-70s24%24% - 12
70s-80s18%18% - 9
80s-90s16%16% - 8
90s-200016%16% - 8
2000-200618%18% - 9
Total: 49
SoC./Omega
+122|6555|Omaha, Nebraska!
My vote would go to the 40s or today. 40s music just sounds cool to me, kinda weird. So, I was anxious to hear what you guys liked...
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6836|Delaware
The Nineteen Motherfucking 80s.
SoC./Omega
+122|6555|Omaha, Nebraska!
I always hated the 80s lol, just think its odd.
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6656|Deep In The South Of Texas
60's - 70's.

At least for rock-n-roll and pop, that was when the most innovation was happening, not only in the music, but in the technology. Going from lo-fi mono to hi-fi stereo and from AM to FM radio. After the 70's the big labels started taking over and concerning themselves with what sold the most units, and less about the artists. The 80's also marked the end of vinyl's reign and the advent of the compact disc. In my opinion "CD Quality" is a contradiction of terms.
lettuce
site lurkerer
+26|6658|cheshire u.k

SysTray wrote:

you got that damn well right............
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6716|Little Rock, Arkansas

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

60's - 70's.

At least for rock-n-roll and pop, that was when the most innovation was happening, not only in the music, but in the technology. Going from lo-fi mono to hi-fi stereo and from AM to FM radio. After the 70's the big labels started taking over and concerning themselves with what sold the most units, and less about the artists. The 80's also marked the end of vinyl's reign and the advent of the compact disc. In my opinion "CD Quality" is a contradiction of terms.
So go out and get yourself an SACD player. Unless you have a $30K home stereo with handmade tube amps, I guarantee you can't tell the difference.
1927(h)
Late Nighties

Dance/house/trance and Rap, Oasis and Blur, Take That and the Spice Girls.

You'll never see the above in the same sentance again so make the most of it pop pickers
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6453|King Of The Islands

I vote 20,000BC

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6835
the cutting edge of today's music won't even be appreciated for another two decades. that's pretty much the way art works - the trendsetters are years ahead of the general public.

look at it this way. the world population is much larger today than the past. assuming the percentage of musicians stays constant [or more likely, has increased] there are more musicians working and creating than ever before in human history. purely on the basis of probability, today's music will produce a higher number of great works, not to mention that what people are doing today builds upon the past masters.

run this poll again in the year 2030, and see what happens.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6554|The Lost Highway
I'm going to null my vote, 'cos I dig music from the 20's to now.

lettuce wrote:

SysTray wrote:

you got that damn well right............
The 80's did have some cool shit going on. Sonic Youth, Spacemen 3, and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Plus Mudhoney and Nirvana were formed at the end of the 80's.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6305|Éire
70's ...all the best Rock bands came from that era, prog rock began and musicians were still appreciated.

The 80's were cheesy but it was a great era for bass players, even the 'boybands' of the 80's had great bass players e.g. Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo.

worst time for music ...present day. Grunge was the last interesting thing to happen in music outside of underground electronica and intelligent industrial stuff.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6437|San Antonio, TX
Nulll vote... Classical music has influenced more than any other type.  I vote 1700 - 1900.  Seriously you have everything from Moolight Sonata to Ride of the Valkyries.  Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner so many great composers!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6534|Πάϊ
60s & 90s. If I could I'd vote for both.
ƒ³
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6305|Éire

silo1180 wrote:

Nulll vote... Classical music has influenced more than any other type.  I vote 1700 - 1900.  Seriously you have everything from Moolight Sonata to Ride of the Valkyries.  Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner so many great composers!
Good point. I agree.
bennisboy
+829|6661|Poundland
Man why am I so tired at 7 in the evenin. I read the title to this thread as "which time had the best muscle" which left me really confused. when I realised I voted for now because that is what I think
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6736|Sydney, Australia
30's-50's with Benny Goodman. Also, the era that Artie Shaw player in (same one?)

Mcminty.
Orgtheone
+30|6677|The Dark Side Of The Moon
60's for sure
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6460|The Land of Scott Walker
Voted 80s and 90s because I'm a metal and alternative fan.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard