kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
These files are no longer being updated. However, with the release of Patch 1.5 I will be working with some other members here at BF2s to bring you a new set. Proving how popular these were, there have been over 1000 unique downloads from here at BF2s and through other sites. Including Battlefield 2142 that number is more than doubled. Thanks!
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/bat2modloc.png

What are "Localization Files" and what do they do?
Localization files in Battlefield 2 are files that make up how text is perceived on your screen. For instance, "you killed player" can be changed to "player has been killed" or almost anything you want it to be. But the problem was - I had downloaded tens of sets of files but all of them just weren't that great. So I took it up to build my own set. With some help (noteably our very own moderator Snake) the files were completed in a relatively short time. You can see my result on a YouTube video here:

Revisions
Since the very first beta release, these files have been revised repeatedly to ensure that everything is accurate and correct. All download links hold the latest revision of these files, as well as instructions in where to install them.

Download - Rapidshare
Download - FileFront

Link(s) down? PM me!

Redistribution: these files were built for anyone and everyone to use. If you wish to distribute these files please direct users to the links above. All I ask is that you do not edit or modify these files unless you have stated that you have publicly.

Last edited by kylef (2009-01-04 11:06:11)

samfink
+31|6554
d/l doesn't work. can't find the server.

edit- you mis-did the link.here is the correct link

Last edited by samfink (2006-12-10 15:11:02)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6626|UK
samfink
+31|6554
just disovered and edited my post. sorry. and can this thread be a sticky?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
Yeah, works fine for me too. I'll add another download link if/when I find another server.
edit// whoops, just realized liquid edited my post to fix it, thanks!

Last edited by leetkyle (2006-12-10 15:14:50)

Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6704|Alaska
sweet going to try it right now
samfink
+31|6554
the problem was a double http://www. in the link. and why not upload it to fileplanet or a similar site( if you know how to, i don't)
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
It's fixed now (thanks to liquidat0r). However, I'll search around for another server although that Serios one should be fine for now (friends with the owner).
samfink
+31|6554
yeah, the current server is fine.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
If anyone knows of any free hosts I can put it up on, feel free to ask and I'll put it up
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6661|under there hayousaidunderwear
Not enough orange text.  I preffer the ones I made.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

Can we have green yet?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

Grrrr. Ive just spent the last 2 hours editing all of mine!!!
Although.....none of mine are even appearing ingame for some reason.

Anyway, some "mistakes" I found whilst seeing how you've done it:

english:
KILLMESSAGE_VEHICLE_f18       F-18 - Jet ....seeing as you have the name of all the other jets, why not have Super Hornet with that?

english_mappacks:
Class names not added to killmessages:
HK53A3 (spec ops)
L85A2 (assault)
AG-36 (assault - nade launcher)
HK21 (support)

And to be consistent, you have the A10 andd SU39 as bomber jets...yet the Q5 only as a jet?

XPEnglish:
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_g36k       G36K - Spec-OpsK ....why a K on the end???!!
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_mp7        MP7 ........engineer???
KILLMESSAGE_VEHICLE_bmp3      BMP 3 - Vehicle ....its an APC
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland

Snake wrote:

english:
KILLMESSAGE_VEHICLE_f18       F-18 - Jet ....seeing as you have the name of all the other jets, why not have Super Hornet with that?

english_mappacks:
HK53A3 (spec ops)
L85A2 (assault)
HK21 (support)

And to be consistent, you have the A10 andd SU39 as bomber jets...yet the Q5 only as a jet?

XPEnglish:
everything fixed, mp7 is an engineer unlock and f-18 just showed up as f-18 in bf2s.

Uploading new version and given you credit for the help, thanks!
edit// new version up!

Last edited by leetkyle (2006-12-11 08:40:22)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

leetkyle wrote:

Snake wrote:

english:

english_mappacks:
HK53A3 (spec ops)
L85A2 (assault)
HK21 (support)

XPEnglish:
everything fixed, mp7 is an engineer unlock and f-18 just showed up as f-18 in bf2s.

Uploading new version and given you credit for the help, thanks!
edit// new version up!
No problem

I got mine working in the end by taking yours and putting it into my localisation. Dont know why mine wouldnt work when I edited it, but nevermind.
All Ive done is edit a few things for personal preferences.
Good job
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
only found one mistake, in the english_mappacks file, where you have the majority of the kill weapon message, you've listed the l85a2 as a spec ops weapon. other than that, perfect so far. o and the only littlebird is the usmc scout chopper, not the others
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
Thanks father Modified that also.

New updated version READY TO DOWNLOAD!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
Please post your comments guys ;P Always wanting to improve.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_dragunov   Dragunov - Sniper - thats the SVD. Why is it called "Dragunov" ingame for?!?!

Also..weapons in the top left could do with being orange maybe?

Oh yeah, Id also like to know how you worked these out:
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_m2hb       M2HB - Ground Defense
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_kord       KORD - Ground Defense
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_minigun    M134 - Ground Defense

... what the hell are they?!

The thing is, its mainly down to personal preference. You cant create one localisation and expect everyone to like it...
Some people like to have "You 0wn3d PlayerX roflcopterz" (and all that WoW shit) or just the normal "You killed PlayerY".
Or the A10 as "A10 Warthog"...some people prefer "A10 Thunderbolt" or "A10 Tankbuster".

Oh yeah, and spelling. You have "Armor"...well us English spell that as "Armour". Im just pedantic and hate American spelling, so thats just me being picky (no offense intended)

I mean, my localisation comprises of:
1) No kit names for weapons or unlock levels (all infantry weapons left as they are)
2) Vehicles...I dont have whether its "armour/jet/heli" - I find it obvious what each is
3) I have the "+1 or +2" on the ends of the kills/teamwork points - but not saying "teamwork" or "global" on the end.
4) I have changed the HMMWV to Humvee and put (MG) or (TOW) after it to specify the difference between the MG versions and the TOW on some of the SF maps.
5) Modded all of the jet and heli names and some of the tanks and mobile AA.
Such as M6 Linebacker AA, Su-30 Bomber, AH-1Z Super Cobra, M1A2 Abrams...etc.

All done across vanilla, SF, AF and EF.

Granted, that most of that is based on experience...I dont need to be reminded that the P90 is an AT unlock I use it all the time

I also have the "the game will start when x players join" moved to under the radar (as per the excellent tutorial by Mad Ad http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=43853 ), and using this, have also moved the "the game will start in X seconds. Apply for commander now" in the same manner.
Also, any flags captured/lost is indicated in orange in the top left as is players disconnected/kicked/banned, etc.
Also sorted out the "Teamkills" thing by putting the weapon after it, so you know what by.
i.e. tkerfaggot1 [Teamkills - MD530 Littlebird] dude_on_ground
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland

Snake wrote:

KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_dragunov   Dragunov - Sniper - thats the SVD. Why is it called "Dragunov" ingame for?!?!
I guess it was just a seeping thing that got into my head! I've always just called it a Drag, although for the rest of the worlds' sake it'll be changed to SVD!

Snake wrote:

Also..weapons in the top left could do with being orange maybe?
Like you said, localization is a personal choice. I try to spare the orange ;P

Snake wrote:

KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_m2hb       M2HB - Ground Defense
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_kord       KORD - Ground Defense
KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_minigun    M134 - Ground Defense
The M2HB is the .50 CAL on the Abrams. The KORD is the machine gun on the T-90, and the M134 is actually wrong - it's the true name for the machine gun on choppers. Will have to change that!

Snake wrote:

Oh yeah, and spelling. You have "Armor"...well us English spell that as "Armour". Im just pedantic and hate American spelling, so thats just me being picky (no offense intended)
I'm English too ;P (Northern Ireland) - I spell it Armor this way because a lot of the visitors here on BF2S do use that spelling. It's like the world "colour" (color)

Snake wrote:

I have changed the HMMWV to Humvee and put (MG) or (TOW) after it to specify the difference between the MG versions and the TOW on some of the SF maps.
Might do this actually, although I've never tried distinguishing between between TOW and MG.

Snake wrote:

Also sorted out the "Teamkills" thing by putting the weapon after it, so you know what by.
i.e. tkerfaggot1 [Teamkills - MD530 Littlebird] dude_on_ground
How did you do this? I've always tried, but it just says [TEAMKILLS] and I've never found out which weapon it is caused by.

UPDATED VERSION SOON.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

The MG is defined in the English.utxt file and the TOW version in the XPack.utxt. I havent tried those ingame actually, but I see no reason why they shouldnt work.

The teamkills bit is done like this:
HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_TEAMKILLS    ยง0#PLAYERNAME1# [Teamkills - #WEAPON#] #PLAYERNAME2#

(orange txt removed)

As for those 3 guns....I never knew that! It always just says the name of the tank or heli, not the weapon name on mine.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6545|Doncaster, UK
Any chance of a zipped up version rather than .rar ?
DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6625|Los Angeles, California, US.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6545|Doncaster, UK
Cheers for that, I'll let you know when I get home (unfortunately I'm at work now) but I'll have a look at the files while I'm here and see what's what.

Thanks again..... +1
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6597|Cheshire. UK
Just downloaded.....will try it when I get home......  +1 for your time and effort

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard