Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6655
I have been a PC gamer since the days of Red Alert, X-Wing, and Star Craft. I much prefer PC gaming and its many advantages over console gaming, but the industry is in trouble, and for good reason. Just pick up any PC gaming magazine and read the opinion columns, and you will see that people closely tied to the industry are VERY worried. Not only that, but read some interviews with game developers. Many developers are now stating that it is not cost-efficient to develop cross-platform games for the PC, because the gaming PC market is just too small. Most families these days own a computer, but how many actually own a computer capable of running newly-released 3D games? Very few.

Personal preferences aside, let's try to analyze what future PC gaming really has. It is a fact that PC gaming will always be on the cutting edge of graphics and technology. However, it comes at a price that the average consumer is not willing to pay for. I believe PC gaming is on the decline because it is becoming too specialized. A very select few games sustain the PC gaming community, and they are all confined to 3 genres: FPS, RTS, and MMO. These games will always play better with a mouse and keyboard, but noteworthy titles are too few and far between and most require a very expensive upgrade to enjoy to their fullest. For some of you, money is no object and this is a non-issue. However, you must realize it is the mass market that drives the industry, and as it stands now, consoles appear to be gaining momentum at an amazing rate, while many newly released PC games can't find their way to the bargain bin faster. As my PC ages and comes closer to needing an upgrade, the appeal of consoles is becoming all the more greater.

Discuss. And remember, I am not asking for your personal preference. Saying "PC gaming owns" or anything like that will not contribute to this debate. I want your opinion on the current state of the industry and where you think it is going.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-10 13:48:18)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6376|Columbus, Ohio
The only reason I keep a "gaming" computer around is for Flight Simulator.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6636|UK
Consoles are becoming more and more popular thanks to multiplayer, (internet), capability.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
The communities as a whole are better for PC, and the ease of getting together with friends to play is so much greater. This combined with the good games, though as you said they are few and far between, can go a long way. Example, me playing over 700 hours on one game. No console game I have ever owned (though I have had a lot of fun with some) comes even close to that number.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

It's certainly losing it's exclusivity. All big PC games tend to get ported to consoles these days.

I think that has more to do with the games companies trying to get as much profit out of all their hard work as they possibly can and with the modern similarities in architecture. So the change is quite understandable, though still a bit annoying.

Consoles certainly have their place, but I feel these days they are overstepping the bounds of what they should be. I use to love playing Street Fighter and Mario Kart on my SNES and Samurai Shodown on my Neo-Geo (Radiant Silvergun on Saturn was another great one), but the games I always really enjoyed were on PC. The consoles had nothing that could come close to Doom or C&C or the plethora of other awesome PC games.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6658
I dont understand why consoles are more popular. You get a better gaming experience with PC and, plus, a mouse is much better then a PS2 controller, for example.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6756|The United Center
True, although consoles are increasing in price too.  When Nintendo64 first came out, it was $150US.  That was for the best system at the time.  Now, with PS3s tagged at $600, it's only a matter of time when consoles become as expensive as computers to maintain and upgrade.
Eugefunk84
+48|6543
pc games and consoles have always been in competition. What is a console but a souped up PC dedicated to gaming? Except for the input devices (controller vs keyboard/mouse), there is really not much difference between these two pieces of hardware. As long as there are people willing to pay $600-$800 for new, top of the line video cards, there will be computer gaming. It's not gonna die, at least not within our lifetimes. Consoles are just becoming more powerful, but that doesnt mean the whole market will sway.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

It's easy to see the appeal of consoles to the mass market. No complicated setup, low boot times, no fiddling about with graphics settings to get an optimal gaming experience. They're still cheaper too, despite the continuing increase in price and for the value of the hardware you get, consoles work out a much better deal.

I can't see PC gaming dying out anytime soon though. PCs will still be around and a large number of games developers are most likely PC games enthusiasts, which will help.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6636|UK
Still,

PC > Console.
Phoenix2
Professional Medic Whore
+43|6538|Karkand
Sources?
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6642|USA
Fuck Consoles. Their only benefit is a 300$ brick for throwing at a window. A PC has too much versatility to spend an equal amount on ONE product.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK
I think the two are merging. PC's are becoming more game orientated now that all the basic hardware is far ahead of what is required for simple software. Consoles are becoming more PC like with components and OP. An example is Linux for the PS3, the advantage the console has as Bertster said is the faster boot and no fiddling about. Tbh if you got a USB mouse and keyboard for a console you could play any strategy or FPS game just as well as on the PC. Hopefully the two merge even closer, this will just speed up development of both and hopefully increase the quality of games. Atm there are realy good PC games and realy good console games, they rarely are on both systems straight away.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6655

Bertster7 wrote:

It's easy to see the appeal of consoles to the mass market. No complicated setup, low boot times, no fiddling about with graphics settings to get an optimal gaming experience. They're still cheaper too, despite the continuing increase in price and for the value of the hardware you get, consoles work out a much better deal.

I can't see PC gaming dying out anytime soon though. PCs will still be around and a large number of games developers are most likely PC games enthusiasts, which will help.
I also think the increasing affordability of HDTVs is helping the console market even more. As much as I enjoy gaming on the PC, the idea of relaxing on a couch and playing a game on a HDTV is very tempting.

Additionally, while PC gaming maintains a strong advantage as far a multiplayer gaming goes, the single player game on it is pretty much dead. I don't think PC gaming will die out all together, but I do think it will reach a point where it only appeals to the enthusiast.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-10 11:10:21)

2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6785
Wow...a great (serious) post...second of the week...nice!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

I dont understand why consoles are more popular. You get a better gaming experience with PC and, plus, a mouse is much better then a PS2 controller, for example.
Exactly...  PCs FTW!
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6655

Turquoise wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Exactly...  PCs FTW!
Read Bertster7's post. Consoles cater to the mass market, PCs don't (even though we may prefer them).
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6857|San Francisco

Consoles have been steadily overtaking PC gaming because of their ease of use and ability to play any game created for the system without intimate knowledge of computer hardware. However, it looks like as consoles progress they simply become more and more like PC's, which means that they also inherit all of the negative aspects of the PC gaming world (with the exception of Nintendo, who appear to be trying to keep consoles separate from PC's more so than their MS and Sony counterparts.)

Game manufacturers are getting sloppier with their console games because they can release additional content or game fixing patches, things that have plagued the PC industry for years, (*cough*DICE*cough*) These console systems are also becoming increasingly expensive, and are just beginning to offer upgrades to make the systems better, and possibly in the future some of these upgrades will be a requirement for purchasing new games on the console.

Essentially, if the current trend by Sony and Microsoft to produce the shiniest graphics continues I think they will just end up with a very expensive super computer and things will shift back towards traditional PC games, as by that time having a really powerful computer in the house should be increasingly common.

ThomasMorgan wrote:

True, although consoles are increasing in price too.  When Nintendo64 first came out, it was $150US.  That was for the best system at the time.  Now, with PS3s tagged at $600, it's only a matter of time when consoles become as expensive as computers to maintain and upgrade.
Actually, until the Nintendo Wii, every console released by Nintendo retailed for $200. There have always been crazy powerful 'fringe' consoles that have typically died a quick and painful death, like 3DO and Neo-Geo for instance. The difference seems more that all of the added peripherals that are more or less a requirement bump the cost up even more than the initial investment of the shiny box.

Historical Console Prices
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Exactly...  PCs FTW!
Read Bertster7's post. Consoles cater to the mass market, PCs don't (even though we may prefer them).
I agree, I'm just saying that I will remain a PC gamer until there are no PC games left.

Consoles are a racket, and they rarely impress me.  Granted, the Wii does.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6662

Turquoise wrote:

I agree, I'm just saying that I will remain a PC gamer until there are no PC games left.
Which, considering the mod scene can keep games alive well beyond their shelf-life, combined with the massive number of games which use very mod friendly architechure, may be never.  TBH the latest trends in graphics are great, but I haven't seen much advancement in gameplay which is what keeps me coming back to old releases all the time.  Not to mention that I discover a ton of new mods when I do revisit a games I remember from the last 5-10 years.  Even if the industry dies, people will still be playing games on their PCs.  Just think, you wouldn't have to upgrade every few years and games would be based on creativity, not polycounts and shader models.

PC Game Industry != PC Game Scene
cdogmn763
Banned
+2|6358
funny that you brought that up, i noticed that all teh new games coming out this christmas are for ps3/exbox 360, they dont mention nothing about it being for the pc
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

tF-voodoochild wrote:

There have always been crazy powerful 'fringe' consoles that have typically died a quick and painful death, like 3DO and Neo-Geo for instance. The difference seems more that all of the added peripherals that are more or less a requirement bump the cost up even more than the initial investment of the shiny box.
You can't say the Neo-Geo died a quick and painful death. That's just not the case. I had one. They had games released for them from 1990 (before the SNES) to 2005 (I think - most recent games I had were from '98). That's 15 years of new releases, which no console has ever surpassed.

Just because the Neo-Geo AES was expensive doesn't mean it died. It (the MVS version) was highly successful in the arcades and so support continued for a very long time.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6658

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Exactly...  PCs FTW!
Yes, yes I know. Demand and supply and all that crap. The price on consoles are lower and therefore the demand will be higher. One can draw a simple supply-demand curve to illustrate the effect. Bertster's post says it all.

Lol, thankyou for posting this. I think I have might have found a new research question for my Economics class.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6655
Here's my take on the 3 consoles:

Personally, I think Microsoft is the only company that got it right this generation. The Xbox 360 is moderately priced, uses a centralized online gaming plan, already has an impressive library of great games, and boasts the best graphics for a console game to date.

I do not agree with Sony's approach to the Playstation 3. It way too expensive for a console and supports a losing format. Currently, there are no games that justify its price or show off its power. At best, I can only see PS3 games looking marginally better than Xbox 360 games. But even then, I think those games are a long way off and will be few in number.

The Nintendo Wii is a toss-up for me. I like Nintendo's innovative approach, but the console lacks the strong 3rd party support that the 360 has. The third party support it does have has not really effectively implemented the new controller yet. That means the best titles, of course, will be Nintendo games. However, titles such as Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Galaxy are still a long way off. Of the currently released games, the only worthwhile purchase is Zelda (which happens to be a Gamecube game). My only major beef with the Wii is that it's 5-year-old technology. Brand new games, and even games in development, already look dated.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-10 13:26:11)

Master*
Banned
+416|6504|United States

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Do you think PC gaming is dying?
heh no

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard