superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6780

For those of you who don't know about the PDS-1 Vehicle Solar, its an engineer unlock that detects vehicles within the vicinity using a Sonar tracking system and looks like this:

https://bf2142fever.com/content/images/thumb/f/fb/PDS-1.jpg/200px-PDS-1.jpg

So now where's the problem?  Well if you happen to place this little piece of garbage anywhere, it will essentially cancel out the effects of your team's UAV.  So not only does it serve a ridiculous purpose (detecting vehicles...which aren't that hard to detect in the first place) which makes it essentially useless, but it also completely screws your team over by eliminating the effectiveness of your UAV which is by far the most useful commander asset.

I understand people unlocking this as part of the engineer tree, but for heaven's sake DO NOT use it in a game and if you happen to see one then find it and blow it up.
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6533|Valhalla
I never used it anyway...
HM1{N}
+86|6642|East Coast via Los Angeles, CA

superfly_cox wrote:

For those of you who don't know about the PDS-1 Vehicle Solar, its an engineer unlock that detects vehicles within the vicinity using a Sonar tracking system and looks like this:

http://bf2142fever.com/content/images/t … -PDS-1.jpg

So now where's the problem?  Well if you happen to place this little piece of garbage anywhere, it will essentially cancel out the effects of your team's UAV.  So not only does it serve a ridiculous purpose (detecting vehicles...which aren't that hard to detect in the first place) which makes it essentially useless, but it also completely screws your team over by eliminating the effectiveness of your UAV which is by far the most useful commander asset.

I understand people unlocking this as part of the engineer tree, but for heaven's sake DO NOT use it in a game and if you happen to see one then find it and blow it up.
Dude, you're wack...

I have a teammate put it on the gunship and blast away all the enemy vehicles I find.  It's an AWESOME unlock that has given me many kills.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6708|Sweden
i somewhat agree with the original poster can´t count the times i have been running straight in enemy fire cause i knew it was clear i had the uav and all......

Edit: i fully agree just remembered some rounds yesterday the PDS things where everywhere and so was the enemies

Last edited by madmurre (2006-12-10 06:33:57)

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6780

HM1{N} wrote:

Dude, you're wack...

I have a teammate put it on the gunship and blast away all the enemy vehicles I find.  It's an AWESOME unlock that has given me many kills.
I guess that on the gunship would be the only place where it would make sense because you're moving around so fast.  Plus I'm not sure of the range of its interference with UAV. 

Anywhere else its terrible cause its not worth losing your teams UAV...especially on city maps...that drives me crazy.
Contract_Killa
+70|6367|Australia, A.C.T
I only use it for gunships. Otherwise its pointless. And i also use the 3rd squad leader unlock when im in armour so that ppl cant sneak up behind me and C4 me.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6628|Washington, DC

I guess that explains why sometimes I see two UAVs and neither one spot enemies.
Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6760|Internet!
I've gotten a bit of use out of the PDS defending the toll booth on Gibraltar. Throw down some EMP mines, (don't have the rolly ones yet) drop the PDS, and wait. Once a Ocelot goes by, gets EMP'd, shoot it, and then take down the PDS so your commander's UAV works again.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6467

It blocks UAV at it's own detection area, so on city maps it's pure shit, but in larger maps it has some use for gunship pilots.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6773|EUR
How difficult is it for you to look up?
[J5]Dirrty.Magic
+35|6681
I put it at low-action silos or unimportant flags on big maps.  Then either your gunship or your boys in the titan guns can take a few shots at em, and maybe protect a flag.

How can the PDS be the most worthless unlock? Have you tried the Dytech Pulse Meter? Or the Stabilizer? Or the Otis? Ick.
l41e
+677|6646

[J5]Dirrty.Magic wrote:

Have you tried the Dytech Pulse Meter?
That thing's worked for me exactly once.
zeidmaan
+234|6413|Vienna

I always strap it to my Tank or Walker and I love it.
Zefar
+116|6647|Sweden
Well till I get my loller mine I'm gonna have that one. Plus it might serve a good purpose on Titan when defending. You know those APC/Gunships/Transport Ship that drives/flies around your titan once the shield is down. It's pretty good when being command and camping the Titan guns.

And I didn't know you could place it on the Gunship without getting it to fall off...Sounds neat. Maybe gonna place mine on a tank to. XD Or walker.

As for the bug I'm sure EA will fix this as it shouldn't really do that right......
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6708|Sweden
the biggest problem for me is that it tricks you sometimes because it looks exactly like the Uav maybe the "forcefield" on the mini map should be red or something so you can clearly see that it´s not the UAV and the PDS. just a thought
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6780

do you guys realize that vehicle sonar cancels out the UAV!?!?!?  consider the utility of UAV versus the utility of a device that points out vehicles (which aren't all that hard to notice in the first place).  don't ever put it on the titan or on gibralter (or any city maps for that matter) because UAV is more important.
Stags
+26|6654
I don't see why people would use it on a city map.  That doesn't make much sense, as there isn't that many vehicles.

On the other hand I use it on larger vehicle ladden maps because well the UAV usually isn't in the area I'm in.  It's really a pretty good unlock if you know when to use it.  Using it on a gunship is perfet, first you can see anyone on your tail (even though you should be checking back every few seconds).  And any vehicles you might've missed on the ground.

Personally, I don't think it should interfer with the UAV, doesn't make sense at all.  But that's life I suppose... they'll probably change it up or something later on.
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6693|UK
its not the worst unlock ever, just pop it on the tranport ship and then its easy to spot vehicles and kill then wiv the uber leet guns

Last edited by Samtheman53 (2006-12-10 09:34:01)

arson
+99|6635|New York
Hmm will it cancel ALL uav's including the enemies?  Could this be a good tactic to block out enemy uav?....
Zefar
+116|6647|Sweden
The worst unlock is the EMP mine that only stun their vehicle for a while. Which really ain't that dangerous most of the time. But this thing is pretty usefull because commander usually never put out UAV where you are and when he does put it out it's on a flag far away from most people that ONE guy is trying to take.
1MaNArmY
+2|6796

superfly_cox wrote:

do you guys realize that vehicle sonar cancels out the UAV!?!?!?  consider the utility of UAV versus the utility of a device that points out vehicles (which aren't all that hard to notice in the first place).  don't ever put it on the titan or on gibralter (or any city maps for that matter) because UAV is more important.
So what if there is no UAV in your area?  It has it's uses when the other option would be to have no sonar detection at all.  I generally place it on the gunship, tank or apc and rarely a silo.

Last edited by 1MaNArmY (2006-12-10 14:29:58)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6519|Austin, Texas

1MaNArmY wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

So what if there is no UAV in your area?  It has it's uses when the other option would be to have no sonar detection at.  I generally place it on the gunship, tank or apc and rarely a silo.
a PDS anywhere on the map cancels the UAV, no matter the location, for as long as the PDS is up.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6619|Gold coast, Aus.
I only unlocked it for the piluhm. pretty useless IMO.
Mafia47
+27|6739|Chicago
like someone said already put it on your attack chopper and your golden. That way you never get anyone coming up on your ass blowing you up.
DTAC
+9|6739
How did DICE let that pass. An unlock that actually cripples your team. +1 for DICE! Way to go!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard