brome
brap.
+244|6637|Accidental, TK

Dawsonfattits wrote:

ok???????? back on topic............... i'm english, and i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future............so in my opinion history is a complete waste of time. others may see it different but i just believe there is no need to learn about stuff that has happened.
The british national history curriculum is shite.  There's so much we could be learning about, but instead most of our years at secondary school are spent on Nazis and Suffragettes.  This, apparently, counts as "Modern World History". Pah.

I'm afraid that I also know next to nothing about American history.  I know there was a war of independence, bleh. That's about it. And we take the piss out of your ignorance of world history and geography. I suppose I do know where Iran is.

Seriously, England + Wales' schools = fail. Scotland is another matter...
ChrisHXZS
+4|6682|England
Well I'm English and there are many reasons for us not carrying on the fight in the US or the Colonies as it was called back then.

1) Economically it wasn't viable to stay in the US.
2) People in England at the time did not want to fight another war.
3) Also the French helped the American troops out by fighting them in the battle of Yorktown.
4) Finally, King George sacked Pitt the Eldar and one other guy (can't remember his name) who were very important in the war and were experts in fighting wars and commanding the armies. King George sacked them as he hated that they were taking a lot of money for themselves and thought that they were not patriotic.

My opinion on the war is the British had no real reason to stay in the US.
Basically I don't care who won as it wasn't a conventional war.

Thats my opinion. History lesson over.

Oh yeh i do A-Level history and 4 of the courses are on America so I know alot on America now.

Last edited by ChrisHXZS (2006-12-09 14:25:20)

brome
brap.
+244|6637|Accidental, TK

ChrisHXZS wrote:

Well I'm English and there are many reasons for us not carrying on the fight in the US or the Colonies as it was called back then.

3) Also the French helped the American troops out by fighting them in the battle of Yorktown.
4) Finally, King George sacked Pitt the Eldar and one other guy (can't remember his name) who were very important in the war and were experts in fighting wars and commanding the armies. King George sacked them as he hated that they were taking a lot of money for themselves and thought that they were not patriotic.

Oh yeh i do A-Level history and 4 of the courses are on America so I know alot on America now.
ah yeah! I remember there was something about tea, and also the Americans didn't want to be taxed when they didnt get any of the benefits that British citizens got...?

I don't think that sleeping in history is such a good idea tbh. especially with gcse's and all that.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6632|SE London

I think a lot of what people get taught in history classes at school tends to be very biased. The War of Independence was an important and well won war for the US. The war of 1812 is something many people in the US seem to be somewhat misguided about however. We don't get taught anything about America and wars over there in history classes, but then British history has a lot more content to cover than American history, because American history doesn't go back that far.

I wasn't taught anything about American history or the War of Independence, but I've read up about it a bit. The war of 1812 is often regarded by Americans as a 2nd War of Independence in many ways. But really it started out as acts of aggression by the US and ended in the US fighting for their very survival as a state. They did well not to be utterly crushed in the war and had a lot of important victories, but none of their objectives (prevention of impressment, annexation of Canada etc.) were acheived by the war and whilst the British counter-attack was eventually thwarted (due to some brilliant work by the US military), the defence of Canada was spectacularly succesfull.

The whole war seemed to be a war of misunderstandings. It probably would never have started if word of the new British rulings about impressment and boarding of US ships had reached the US before war was declared (British policy was changed 2 days before war was declared). Also the most important US victories (around New Orleans) were after a peace treaty had been signed, yet again before word had reached the commanders in the field.

The big thing the war of 1812 acheived for the US was for them to be taken seriously as a military power. They lost the war (in any conventional sense), but gained a lot of very important respect.
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6607

ChrisHXZS wrote:

this supports what i said about you seeing it as a defferent way...u see it as economicals not working for you to stay in the US and 'there was no point to'. but you guys surrendered after we trapped a famous british commander, Lord Cornwallis and his army of about 2000 in yorktown with unconditional surrender

EDIT: with the help (this is weird to say...no offence) of the french navy...wow the one and only time i will be able to say that. no offence ment to the french...but u catch my drift

Last edited by =W=GeneralSherman (2006-12-09 20:20:46)

Dawsonfattits
I will not eat that cat poo!
+5|6509

Shadovve wrote:

Dawsonfattits wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Not sure you understand how that works.
why is that then??????? i'm giving an opinion and i would prefer to learn things that may help me in the future (in other words...........things that i think will help me)
I can't remember the source, but there is a quote that is very important here:

Those who do not study the mistakes of the past, are destined to repeat them. 

If you cut your finger yesterday, might as well forget about that, it's in the past.  Ah...but that could help you in the future couldn't it?

History can be very boring at times, I agree with you, but understand that history is the encompassing of everything we have learned.  It is very important to understand what happened, and why.  Don't get caught up on dates, but remember the sequence and why things went the way they did.  You will find as you age, you will gain a bigger and bigger appreciation for history, by the time you are 50, you will have lived a lot of it.
when you put it that way it makes a bit more sense, it's just that history has never been a subject that i enjoyed, and if i enjoy things i learn more from them.

+1 to you for not just slating what i said and coming up with something decent.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6879
Firstly, it's probably time to get one thing straight. The American War of Independence was fought between British colonists (with the help of the French) and the British Government forces in a British civil war. We beat ourselves.

The reason we don't get taught much about the American War of Independence? A couple of year later came the French Revolution, which is both more interesting and a more significant event. In a similar way people tend to learn more about the WW2 than WW1 as WW2 was a more interesting and significant event.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think WW1 and the war of independence weren't important, they just get overshadowed by other events that happened at about the same time.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6648|Cheshire. UK

UNDIESRULES wrote:

It may be a big deal within American circles but to be honest, its just one of hundreds of wars that England has had.  This country has been scrapping since the word go and they only tend to cover the important ones in school such as Hastings our own civil war and the likes of WW1 and 2.
Colonial punch ups dont really get much of a look in wether we won or lost.
Well said ..lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard