Poll

Have you ever actually been fooled by one of those silly sniper suits?

Maybe once or twice when I was a bit tipsy.46%46% - 119
Of course not.42%42% - 107
All the time11%11% - 28
Total: 254
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6374|Pittsburgh, PA USA
OK I'm sorry if this has been posted but I don't know how to spell the actual name of the sniper suits (guhille?) so my searches might not have worked to their full potential although I did try.

So I was just wondering if anybody has ever actually been duped by one of those snipers with the bushy suits. I can't ever recall actually walking by one or thinking "gee it looks like that funny little bush has a 10ft rifle pointing at me". Is it just for the other players, like for realism's sake or do they work in some areas? If they do work (which I have trouble believing they do) then what are the best places to actually use them. Off the top of my head I'd say Midnight Sun in AF might work because it's so dark but not dark enough for night vision.

Of course you can just delete this thread if it's been done before & you have my apologies, kthnx.

btw, no spell check on posts?

Last edited by MagikTrik (2006-12-06 11:56:27)

Flex
Flex Appeal
+18|6474|NY
The suits work better from far away, but I don't think they really fool anyone...unless you have shitty graphics and everything looks like a blurry bush.

And most people like to crawl around when they snipe so if you see a moving bush, shoot it!
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6742
im sure there was a time in my 500 hours when a sniper was concealed in a bush somewhere.  *shrug*  maybe I was tipsy
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6534|Boston, MA
I wouldn't exactly say he was concealed because of the suit, but I have been fooled by hiding snipers. Some snipers have great hiding spots that from your angle, you can't see them at all. I only snipe on a few maps because I only snipe from those spaces.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6813|Marathon, Florida Keys
nope, most snipers (99.999%) are idiots and hide ontop of a hill so you can see them agenst the sky. Easy pickings.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
specops10-4
+108|6746|In the hills
There are a few places on wake island that are really good hiding spots.  Near the beach base there is a downed Zero, if you lay underneath one of the wings, its impossible to see the person.  But really the suits are only to make noobs become interested in the game by looking at silly suits .  No, really.
MECtallica
+73|6508|jalalabad
they are pretty useful. Id rather be a sniper that looks like the swamp thing than be a sniper with a huge backpack that says SNIPER on it, like the cross on medics, or mines on engineers. or big fat ammo packs like support.
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6742|Pakistan/England
on high graphics it works nearly every time if the sniper isnt moving and hes against something that has a similar color to his suit
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6464|UK
Not really harder to get a hs on em though.
kilgoretrout
+53|6473|Little Rock, AR
I think the best time the suit works is if you can sneak up behind an enemy squad.  The sniper suits are the hardest to tell the difference between the armies, so if you can sneak into an enemy squad, you can get a couple of knife kills and drop grenades/clays before they really realize what's going on.  If there's a sniper in their squad, they might be confused and you can wipe out the whole squad before they realize what's up.  As far as just someone hiding, that doesn't really work, but the grass in BF2 isn't all that impressive.
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6386|California
The Ghillie suit? It works, but you have to be in an area with a fair amount of brush.
Doperwt.
Anouk, Slayers little bitch
+80|6397|Belgium

I f a sniper knows well where to place himself, he can go up in his surroundings. In RL they work iven better:p
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6572|Mountains of NC

In the game no - I got to be a sneaky bastard

in real life
https://www.bellum.nu/basics/soldier/sniper.jpg

https://www.millenniumproductionsinc.us/images/sniper.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6414|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
I've actually managed to remain concealed thanks to the ghillie suit.

Was playing in Sharqi and decided to go steal the MEC's APC because I hadn't seen it on the field for a little while.
As i arrive at the base, a guy spawns with his back to me. I prone, pop out my pistol and proceed to put a few bullets into his ass(gotta love the silencer).

He starts jumping around like a maniac and actually runs over me, finishing his crazed run with a dive behind a tree. I then stand, giving him a chance to see death looking down on his pitiful form. *POP*
One bullet later, I'm happily driving away with my prize.

As for the answer for the poll, no, i have not been fooled by the suit.

EDIT: SEREMAKER, that looks like the Green Giant from the vegetable cans.

Last edited by SplinterStrike (2006-12-06 13:19:49)

TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6598|Las Vegas, NV USA
Unlike others willing to admit it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and have to say that they do work.

Of course, upon closer scrutinizaton of an area, I can almost always pick out a sniper in a ghillie suit.  For as many hours that I've put into the sniper kit, I've even been fairly good at picking out ghillie snipers with a passive scan of an area.  However, many factors play a role in all of this:

1.  As .:ronin:.|Patton said, just about any sniper silhouetted against the sky is typically an easy target.  Especially if they are atop a building, or a hill without other visual "background noise."  Maps like Daqing Oilfields, Songhua Stalemate, Midnight Sun, Operation Harvest, and all of the night maps make sniper concealment a whole lot easier against "silhouetting."

2.  Without the aid of a scope, many halfway decently concealed, moderately distant, snipers escape the notice of probably about 90-95% of the players making their movements from one place to another.  This is usually for those players who are more worried about running across vehicles, or other machine-gun wielders, rather than being concerned about most snipers being capable of hitting a moving target.  Thus, without the aid of a scope, a decently concealed sniper will escape the immediate notice from most opponents, if he's at a good distance from target.

3.  The ghillie suit is but one tool in the sniper's tool belt, and it's dependent upon the sniper's skill in using that tool.  Many other "tools" need to be taken into consideration in the ghillie's use.  Proper location, rifle shot report, movement, hit location from enemy sniper fire, enemy red name tags, talking on the radio, and many other things will give away a sniper.  With exception to the red name tag signaling a sniper as an enemy, a sniper can control his chances of being visually spotted to a degree.  The ghillie suit will only work so much to conceal a sniper, the rest is up to the sniper.

With just the above factors, I can tell you that the ghillie suit helps.  I'd even go so far as to say that any "awesomely great" player that says that they don't work, has probably run past a ghillied-out sniper without ever noticing them.  I know this, because I've played sniper enough to have seen the opposing top match scorers run past me without any hint of noticing me.  Does it fool those players all of the time?  Not at all.  Experience and practice is another factor that must be taken into consideration.  That, and vigilant, combat alertness.

If you don't believe me, keep track of your deaths as a sniper on vanilla Bf2 maps vs. the Special Forces maps (where snipers are without their ghillies).  If you're actually attempting to use concealment, I'd still wager that you'll die more on the Bf2:SF maps over the vanilla Bf2 counterparts.
Azulmono55
+2|6460
I myself have not been fooled by the suits (I think...) but it has saves me quite a few times. most noticeably on Wake, when I'm capping the south base, i lay prone in one spot in the open and almost always see people run straight past me when i neutralize it. (and then they get a .50 round to the head if they stop and look for me )

Last edited by Azulmono55 (2006-12-06 13:34:10)

LoonykStephane
+34|6540|Kingston,Ontario,Canada
I got fooled once or twice...(Tahat I'm aware...so add maybe 10-15 times in my 250+ hrs of playing)
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6490|Melbourne

I have used them effectively, although i wit with my knife out if the enemy gets to close. I also have on in RL

hehe....

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-12-06 13:32:46)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Longbow
+163|6650|Odessa, Ukraine
Ghille is useless , because when you aim this trying to hide bush-with-rifle - simply , his red nick is showed out . It is quiet stupid ...
Brasso
+1,549|6634

Shit, I clicked on all the time.  I thought you meant from the sniper's point of view.  Seriously though, if you go prone or crouch well inside a bush, 80 % of the time people will pass you by.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
VicktorVauhn
+319|6395|Southern California

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

nope, most snipers (99.999%) are idiots and hide ontop of a hill so you can see them agenst the sky. Easy pickings.
QFT I dont know why every sniper has to get on a roof top...The suits do not make god cammo against the skyline...

I actualy had that pointed out to me in one of the guides here, the suit can be rather effective, but you have to remember your backdrop.

The suit is good enough that tanks drive by me while I sit in some bushes all the time, but not good enough if the tank is staring in my direction.

Its not going to turn you invisable the second you prone, but you can lay prone in the middle of a hillside for a long time if your in a patch that is the right color/texture.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6464|UK
The sniper suit reminds of that monster from Sesame street the grumpy one in the trash can.
turkeybacon
+50|6449|Dragon Valley
Its good but you need to be hidden in the right spot. Its probably especially good on dark maps like daqing oilfields, but I dont play sniper much.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6634|Washington, DC

They're only effective at a certain range. After a "long" range, BF2's shitty graphics engine begins putting less detail. That's why hills from far away seem like they had Agent Orange sprayed on them, but if you get close you see the leaves and grass and flowers and whatnot. This unfortunately also affects snipers' ghillie suits. So if you're a sniper a long ways away from another sniper, he'll be able to see you easily because your ghillie won't render.
R0lyP0ly
+161|6657|USA
i was with Books_DCDF the other day. (a while back now), and he hid in some bushes under the bridge near bridge base. A tank was no more than 7 m. away. No shit. Was pretty amazing. My vote goes fo rit working, if you know how to use it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard