LT.Victim
+1,175|6559|British Columbia, Canada
Right now its snowing outside of my house for the first time this year.

I love snow, and more importantly love watching idoits driving in the snow.

For some reason. People have no fucking clue how to drive here when it Snows, or when not to Drive I should say.. When it snows here it is really bad, I live on the side of the mountain, and its full rich Asians that cant drive, and the road that goes up the mountain is at least like 7-10 percent.

Asians + Steep Hill + snow + Brand new Mercede Benz = Funniest shit alive.

So, post some Videos of people trying to drive in the snow.

OH SHIT BLACK ICE

Crazy Russians.

They probably would have been safer inside the car, morons.

Bail out!

Get out!

Get out!

Bail out!

Last edited by LT.Victim (2006-11-26 03:27:54)

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6652|Brisbane, Australia

LT.Victim wrote:

...Asians...
OH GOD! ITS FUNNY ALREADY! :d
LT.Victim
OH SHIT BLACK ICE

Crazy Russians.
cablecopulate
+449|6734|Massachusetts.
hahahahaha. Oh man the bus part was hilarious. Except for the very end he kept control. Also, is that really black ice? looks like people that can't drive in a tunnel to me.

People around here are funny. Most winters it snows a lot, and every year you'd think nobody had ever driven in snow before.

People are retards.
Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6702|Alaska
pff, yea you think thats bad, i have to put up with ice and snow EVERY DAMN DAY of winter, and yes, people cant drive for shit when on ice, at least here were used to it, but wow, everyday i see someone rear end someone and i have been in one and it ain't fun
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6716|California

glad there is no coldness is southern california. It was like 70 degrees this afternoon
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6652|Brisbane, Australia

What is this winter you talk about? Australia is all sun!

High Five for global warming affecting our areas stryyker!
LT.Victim

Sarrk wrote:

Thats bullshit, you guys get all the sun, when we get Artic Fronts, and break a  100 + year  record for the most rainfall.
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6654|Australia
Awesome vids. really made my laugh out loud. +1 good sir.

LT.Victim wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

Thats bullshit, you guys get all the sun, when we get Artic Fronts, and break a  100 + year  record for the most rainfall.
thats soooooooooooo true. We no longer have defined seasons. they are just all rolled into one big ball. one day its 40 degrees C, the next its cold, windy and hailing.
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6580|Finland
We had 35cm of snow couple weeks ago and temperatures -10C. Then of course everyone changed winter tires to cars and now snow has melted, temperatures are 10C. Luckily meteorologist say that we are going to have snow on the ground at Christmas.
LT.Victim

Jussimies wrote:

We had 35cm of snow couple weeks ago and temperatures -10C. Then of course everyone changed winter tires to cars and now snow has melted, temperatures are 10C. Luckily meteorologist say that we are going to have snow on the ground at Christmas.
Yes, but the weather man always lies.
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6729|Oslo, Norway

Sarrk wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

...Asians...
OH GOD! ITS FUNNY ALREADY! :d
QFT!
AG3NT[FIN]
+24|6499

LT.Victim wrote:

OH SHIT BLACK ICE

Crazy Russians.
i dont think its black ice.. its in the tunnel so... maby its just the russians heh... here in finland i have never seen ice in the tunnel yet... or i havent look for it lol.... the buss part was insane lol
Shadow893
lel
+75|6688|England
Omg - Roflpmslmao
LT.Victim

AG3NT[FIN] wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

OH SHIT BLACK ICE

Crazy Russians.
i dont think its black ice.. its in the tunnel so... maby its just the russians heh... here in finland i have never seen ice in the tunnel yet... or i havent look for it lol.... the buss part was insane lol
Its black Ice.

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/LTvictim/tunnel.png
AG3NT[FIN]
+24|6499
lol ok i got owned i should keep my eyes open
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6619|Little Bentcock
LT.Victim

I love Dane Cook
Mariena
Blondes have more fun
+52|6465|The Netherlands
Err, when it snows outside, I take public transport (if THEY drive, at least). 2 wheels + snowy/icy road = lots of damage + broken ego + possibly broken bones too.
LT.Victim

Mariena wrote:

Err, when it snows outside, I take public transport (if THEY drive, at least). 2 wheels + snowy/icy road = lots of damage + broken ego + possibly broken bones too.
I guess you haven't watched the Video of the Bus in the Icy Tunnel.

That might make you think twice about taking Public Transit.
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6577|Melbourne, Australia.

Sarrk wrote:

ha! come to melbourne and say that

..they say that footage was all from 1 day, wtf? how did they clean up all the mess from crashes and still have it open..

Last edited by -[Silver.Inc* (2006-11-26 04:18:59)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6515|Adelaide, South Australia

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

go to Canberra and say that. it snowed there.
D34TH_D34L3R
+48|6812|Belgium

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

..they say that footage was all from 1 day, wtf? how did they clean up all the mess from crashes and still have it open..
Exactly
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6668
HellCommander_Vic
+2|6533|Norway
Norway completely ruined my bladder. Normally I can drink a pint or so without needing to visit the lavatory, but up there among the elk and the permafrost it was so damn cold that an above-average dew point was enough to keep me at the urinal for up to six hours at a time.

And I don’t want to lower the tone over your breakfast table, but it wasn’t only my bladder that shrank in the chill. This makes life difficult when you’re wearing long johns, jeans and heavily padded waterproof overstrides.

This is the weird thing about Norway. On the surface it appears to be a monochrome and rather chilly version of Britain. There’s the same northern European efficiency, the same things make us laugh, and the town centres are full of vandals who like to key your car. I was there 10 days and liked it a lot.

But behind the veneer of normality it’s as mad as a box of hovercraft. First of all there’s the bothersome business of reading the signs. There are no reference points. Norwegian doesn’t seem to be a language that’s evolved, or migrated. It isn’t an amalgam of dialects, a European potpourri of sounds and expression. If you ask me I’d say it was derived from the noises made by mooses.

I learnt after a few days that the Norwegian for “parking” is “parkering”, but this doesn’t work with other verbs. The Norwegian for “talking”, for instance, is not “talkering”. And if you say you want to go drinkering, they won’t have a clue what you’re on about.

Though that’s because in the frozen north you need to drive for 500 miles to find a beer and when you get there you’ll be charged about £500. To make your evening out even less pleasant, you aren’t allowed to drink outside and you’re not allowed to smoke inside. I spent most of my time in doorways, freezing to death.

You might think everyone can talk English and of course most do — even A-ha — but there are exceptions. Last Tuesday I asked the proprietor of a remote highland cafe for the rest room and he recoiled in such horror I began to think “rest room” might be Norwegian for “Hey, troll, I’ve got a gun and if you don’t hand over all your money I’m going to shoot your husky”.

Perhaps difficulty with communication is why the hotel room in which I stayed had a fold-out whiteboard nailed above the bed: so guests can use diagrams and cave drawings to explain to their girlfriends what they have in mind next.

I can’t imagine the whiteboard is for any sort of management meeting because in the whole of human history Norway’s only contributions have been the paperclip and the cheese slicer. Only Australia has achieved less, with the rotary washing line.

So sex, speaking, drinking and smoking are all laced with complications. And you try walkering. Yes, eco people, 2006 is alarmingly warm up there, but even so you still need your collar up. In Lillehammer it was a nippy –9.

This meant the pavements were encased in a sheet of ice. So to move around you have to develop an unusual gait. Some time back the Bangles sang a song called Walk Like an Egyptian but I think it would be better if they had done Walk Like a Norwegian.

What you do is put your foot down and then wiggle your hips imperceptibly to ensure you have grip before taking your other foot off the ground. I call it the Elvis Pelvis and it works. On Thursday I didn’t fall over once.

This strange way of walkering may explain why there are no fat people in Norway. Not one. Though it doesn’t explain why there are no cars.

No, really. On one night I stood outside having a cigarette in Lillehammer’s equivalent of Piccadilly Circus and not a single vehicle of any kind drove by. Even more spookily, there wasn’t a single parkered car to be seen either. It was as though Jonathon Porritt himself had flown over the town in a giant vacuum cleaner.

Or it could be because driving in Norway requires some special skills. If we had even a tenth as much snow, Britain would be lockered in “ice chaos”. Police would advise motorists to stay at home and not make a journey unless you were delivering a kidney to the Queen herself.

Even the main roads in Norway are snow covered. The back roads are made up of what appears to be a rip-snorting wheel-twirling combination of ice, banana skins and Fairy Liquid.

You might imagine, then, that everyone in Norway would have off-roaders. They don’t. In 10 days I didn’t see one, and that’s because up there a Land Rover Discovery costs more than £100,000. So you buy a normal two-wheel-drive car . . . and cope.

And to make sure this happens you’re limited to 4mph and the roads are littered with forward-facing speed cameras that go off in a burst of blinding red light so intense it can strip all the paint off the front of your car. They don’t take your licence for speeding over there. They take your sight.

I triggered one in the middle of a blizzard and it was like I’d driven through an acid trip. I was so disoriented I had to pull over and get a colleague to drive, and that was a shame because we were in the new Mercedes M-class. And I was rather enjoying it.

The old model was terrible. Designed just before BMW upped the ante with the new Range Rover and the X5, and built in Alabama by people more used to picking cotton than making complicated machinery, it emerged into the world badly built, lumpen, impractical and already old fashioned. Small wonder that in Top Gear’s 2004 motoring satisfaction survey it came home in last place. The worst car money can buy.

Obviously Mercedes wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice, so plainly the people making the new one have been told to stop singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot and get on with some work, and the designers were told it was 2005, not 1956.

As a result the new car looks great, feels well made and when you climb aboard works like any other Mercedes, not a Massey Ferguson with electric windows.

There are, however, one of two things I should make clear before you run round to the local dealer brandishing a chequebook. First of all it’s no longer available as a seven-seater — boo — and then there’s the cost. You will be asked to pay a minimum of £36,700 for the car and then, despite appearances, you will be charged an extra £1,320 for something called the “off-road pro package”.

That really is like being charged £50 a head for dinner and then being asked to pay more for a knife and fork. And to make the prospect even more galling, the package includes various differentials, which is a good thing, and air suspension, which is not. You can’t have the diffs without the air. Zis is not permitted.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn’t bother with any of it and I wouldn’t bother with the £270 off-road exterior styling package either because all you get for this is some underfloor protection, which you can’t see, and a chrome radiator grille. Which will make you look like a drug dealer.

The worst thing about this car, though, is the gearlever. It’s mounted on the steering column, a system popularised in America when teenage boys and girls needed to cuddle up at the drive-in. But ignored in Europe because we tend to get out of the car to watch films. And have sex.

It’s annoying. Mercedes fits smaller cupholders to cars sold in Europe so why can’t we have a European stick shifter as well? It’s not that the column stalk doesn’t work. But it is an example of creeping American imperialism, one step further down the road for the San Francisco taxi driver who told me last year that “pretty soon the whole world will play American football and soccer will die”.

The verdict, then, on the M-class is pretty much the same as my verdict on Norway. Efficient and good fun, but odd and too expensive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard