sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6676|Planet Seibertron ;)
The third use of scan is to locate the area of troops and spot them for your team. To spot a dot (haha, it rhymes), right click it and select "Spotted". This will send a message to your team such as, "Enemy car spotted," or, "Enemy infantry spotted." This will also display the appropriate icon on the mini-maps of the team, just as if a UAV were passing over the area. This spotting can also be achieved by pressing "Q" (default button) and hitting "Spotted" while looking directly at an object.
This was in section 4 on the 3rd paragraph.  I found this to be a little be confusing even though I have read that paragraph several times trying to figure it out.  Anyway...

The part regarding using the 'Q' command baffles me.  The way I read it implied that I would be able to use the 'Q' key while in the Command screen.  I know that I can use it outside the command screen but I wasn't absolutely sure if this is possible in the Command screen.  Can you/someone clarify this?
Madskillz-7517
+0|6663
why in the name of monkeys did you waste your time making that
Vic42
+2|6723|Sacramento, California

Madskillz-7517 wrote:

why in the name of monkeys did you waste your time making that
Do you know Nitro?
[PHH]Spookz
+0|6660
Panzerbjorn - great thread, and a great intro - thanks!  Taking on the responsibility of Command is a full-on job and rarely recognized, but when it works it's fantastic and exhausting!

Some squads are busy from the off, and my first orders often mirror what they're doing anyway.  After several scans and UAVs you get a plan together - which flags to hold and defend, which teams to flank around the back - and this evolves throughout the game.  I believe that if you LISTEN to your troops and work WITH them, they're more likely to work WITH you later, rather than blaming you if things go wrong.

When in-charge I favour the engineer class so I can fix my UAV and artillery toys when the enemy breaks them.  Some favour the sniper though as I'm told they're more easily hidden from troops.  Sometimes there's a chess-like 'war-within-a-war' where the enemy commander seems to be 'flushing you out' of your hiding-place with artillery strikes and troop movements.  :-o

Agamemnon's post made me laugh - abusing your position and the tools-at-hand to look after your OWN skin when flushed from a hiding place can be a great laugh!  Just today I cleared a path back to my hiding-hole with airstrikes and squad-movements after a quick run-out to fix the UAV radar  :-)

The commander 'single-spotting' is a trick I didn't know about, so I'm hardly an expert here, and I do have to zoom-in more for the detailed-fights (and when I find a squad doing their job properly I'm sure I will!)
Troop spotting IS important however, as twice today I ran into what I thought was a FRIENDLY 'blue-spotted' village only to be caught in the crossfire of the non-spotted RED-dots!  (is that a GTA Vice-City radio advert?)  :-)

Communication seems to be the key, but I find VoIP frustrating as it's often quiet, broken-up and just not often used by players on public servers.  Proper use of the basic squad-leader/commander options seems the best bet so far with a few 'personal' messages where possible.  Private servers between friends will be a different matter though.

My favourite non-Com class is Spec Ops - sneaking behind the lines SAS/SBS-style (air/boat) to destroy the enemy com's toys - and I loved INCSOC's idea of having your own 'Rambo' figure going your dirty work :-)
A lone Spec-Op DOES need that supply-drop to destroy ALL the enemy artillery guns along with their radar & base!

Public servers can be frustrating to command, but sometimes the majority just want to have fun and kill!
If so then leave the Com post and join in!  Or find another server - there's plenty out there  :-)
If more people TRIED commanding (or just understood the role more) then we'd all be better team players.
N00b Com's can be annoying, but we've all got to start somewhere!  Just preferably after reading this thread and practicing offline first!

Oh blimey, that's a lot!  (sorry!).  Thanks to all of you who have contributed!

I hope to see you all soon as a little red dot, just before I select 'Artillery!'  ;-)

P.S. Has anyone else seen 'Jarhead' just to feed their BF2 addiction?  What about playing some old Vietnam tracks from the Rolling Stones or the Doors or the 'Ride of the Valkyries' from Apocalypse Now?
(And don't even get me onto the face-paint & camoflauge gear to wear when you're playing...)
trackstarr
+18|6702|Swing and a miss
thx i don't own the game so i just go to the local cyber hub

also  do u think i should buy a new video card just to play bf2 on my comp
Vic42
Yesterday I was playing on Karkand with just eight per team on the 64 player map. Our commander must have been asleep, because I didn't see a UAV the whole round. By contrast, their commander was doing a great job. Everywhere we went the other team was waiting for us. The teams were reasonably well matched too, but it was difficult for us to cap any flag, and impossible to keep more than two. That is how powerful and important the commander is.

Commander is by far the most effective role I can play for my team, and not just because I can't get that "aim before you fire" thing right. I've been playing a grunt or squad leader a bunch of times when our team was consistently losing rounds by 50-100 and I pull out a win by 50. Next round somebody else takes the commander position, and we are back to getting spanked.

I'm not saying I'm the greatest commander who ever played the game; anybody who follows the basics as Panserbjorn outlined will make a huge difference for their side. Even an inexperienced commander who makes it their PRIMARY job for that round is a big improvement over someone who just wants to run and gun. Commander is a FULL TIME JOB, not something you do while flying a jet or defending flags. When I command the UAV is in the air at least 90% of the time, and the arty doesn't sit idle for long either. Those assets can't help you team unless you use them!

[PHH]Spookz wrote:

When in-charge I favour the engineer class so I can fix my UAV and artillery toys when the enemy breaks them.
I used to do the same thing, until somebody suggested medic so you can see the casualties. That is really a BIG help in tracking how your troops are doing and to help you know when send in the arty. Now I go as medic all the time; I can always scan for enemies and drop supplies to fix an asset once they have left.
Kaniela
+0|6721
Great post and thread discussion!

However, it seems to me that there should also be a guide on how to be commanded better too.  Here’s what I’d suggest:

1)  Form a squad named TEAMWORK or something of the like so your commander knows you’re looking to play together.  Also people who join your squad are typically looking to fit in, rather than score.

2)  VOIP comm check.  At the beginning of a round do a comm check with the commander.  This establishes the line and lets him know you are listening to him and expecting to get orders.

3)  Ask for orders, make suggestions, tell the commander what you’re doing.  As commander it is easy to lose track of squads and be overwhelmed.  Letting him know you are idle or what objective you’re up to will allow him to make better decisions.

4)  Tell the commander if you spot the enemy UAV.  It’s the only thing you can't “Q” and spot and usually means an enemy push is on the way.  Commander can communicate to others.

Imho, VOIP is a must for all commanders and squad leaders.  If your commander and/or squad leader is good, this will take them to the next level.  Rapport is formed, urgency can be conveyed, communication is improved.  Rapport often runs over into the future rounds and games once people start recognizing your voices and styles.

As far as the commander functions this post has covered almost everything but I’d like to add/emphasize the following:

1)  Make it a priority to keep ARMOR/APCs/Vehicles  spotted.  In Karkand, if my commander keeps tabs on enemy armor and APCs I know the AT people on my team will vector in on those locations and have much more success.

2)  VOIP updates to your squads.  Try to have brief play by play comments for your squadleaders:  “Squad 1, check minimap.  Tank coming your way.”, “Squad 5, someone in your area.”, “Squad 4, support push at suburbs”, etc.  There is a commander that does this on some of the Karkand servers I play on and I love it!  It’s like having a mini UAV on at all times.

Great thread all.

[url=http://www.bf2player.com/index.php?page=stats&account=12024846][img]http://www.bf2player.com/sig/12024846-982.png[/img][/url]
tonightless
+14|6530|Chicago, Illinois
Excellent guide, not that I get to play Commander often; as I'm still a learning noob!
kaptainflam
+2|6715
Hello to all,
what I like when I arrive on a server with no squads is that I begin to observe, send UAV, so on... I don't stick on my base, I show me to other players on a flag I defend and after a few minutes, one squad appears and another one and at the end, everybody (almost) is in a squad, sometimes requesting orders and working like a whole. What a great pleasure when we win after managing some people totally unknown for me !!!
For me Commanding on BF2 is an amazing experience, I encourage everybody to try and maybe understand better this game .
Cheers to every BF2 gamer.
KF.
Drexor
+33|6614|Denmark
nice man, its great that some people are willing to offer so much time into making these threads.

keep on the good work
Birdman234
Banned
+4|6650
fuk u
Vic42
While playing the Wake map a Chinese attack chopper was just owning us. Great pilot and gunner. There were only about 10 on each side, and nobody on the US team was living long enough to cap even one flag. they even came out to the carrier and tore us up.

Well, revenge is sweet! When they finally went down, I arty'ed the chopper pad every time their chopper respawned. They were out of business for most of the remainder of the round, turning a sure victory for them into a triumph for us. I even managed to steal the Chinese attack chopper late in the round, and sat in it back at the carrier to keep it out of their hands.

I had never thought to use arty that way, to consistently suppress their air power, but it sure worked!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard