Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6579|San Diego, CA, USA
Is something like this possible after the United States pulls out of Iraq?  What are all the possible scenarios for attacking Iran?

With total international backing (aka Iraq 1991 war)?
With partial international backing (aka Iraq 2003 war)?
With no backing (US goes it alone)?
With Iran already having a nuke able to hit Israel?
With Iraq and Afganistan unwilling to stage troops in their country?
What about the price of oil?
TheOneAndOnlyX
Banned
+36|6405|Florida, USA
Let stop sending guys in and just bomb the fuck out of that towel head shithole
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
One I forgot...using Special Forces to start a coup to oust the government from within.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6677
The most realistic scenario would be an Israeli attack with US logistical support.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

The most realistic scenario would be an Israeli attack with US logistical support.
Wouldn't that bring even the moderate Muslim nations into the frey?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6677

Harmor wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Wouldn't that bring even the moderate Muslim nations into the frey?
I don't think moderate Muslims support Ahmadinejad.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6436|North Carolina
Iran shouldn't be attacked unless they do something really stupid.  The ball is honestly in their court.

I'm more concerned about Iran's connections to Hezbollah than their nuke program.
Crash727
+12|6673|NH, USA
Dust off our ICBM's and nuke 'em
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6677

Turquoise wrote:

Iran shouldn't be attacked unless they do something really stupid.  The ball is honestly in their court.
From Israel's perspective they already had when they proclaimed that Israel should be wiped off the map. Israel sees a nuclear Iran as a serious threat, and, unlike the UN, they will act on it as they have in the past.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-11-20 18:32:30)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Turquoise wrote:

Like trying to build a nuke in the last 20 years in secret?
Turquoise
O Canada

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

From Israel's perspective they already had when they proclaimed that Israel should be wiped off the map. Israel sees a nuclear Iran as a serious threat, and, unlike the UN, they will act on it as they have in the past.
Talking about something is very different from doing it.  By the same rationale, we could attack most of the Middle East.  Ahmadinejad is just a more anti-Semitic leader than the norm.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  I see building a nuke in secret is better than doing it out in the open, when the most powerful country in the world has forces on either side of you.  Basically, Iran is already scared of us, so that's why Ahmadinejad has to fake his arrogance.
kilgoretrout
+53|6501|Little Rock, AR
I think we should send in Motley Crue...  Did you see their behind the music?  You can't kill those motherfuckers...
cospengle
+140|6518|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yeah, and unlike other nations or the UN they don't need a whole lot of propagnda to get their people behind the idea of attacking Iran. I think if Iran said they'd wipe Canberra off the map there wouldn't be too many Aussie against lending a hand either. Same would go for most countries I think.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  I see building a nuke in secret is better than doing it out in the open, when the most powerful country in the world has forces on either side of you.  Basically, Iran is already scared of us, so that's why Ahmadinejad has to fake his arrogance.
He's faking his arrogance?
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6751|California

Iran will send 100,000's of unarmed Suicide Soldiers against heavy artillery and armor. Its happened before.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

He's faking his arrogance?
Yes... I think most of what Ahmadinejad does is acting.  He pretends like he's a big shot, but he knows we could kick his ass.  He also knows that the only reason why we haven't done this is because Iraq is keeping us busy.

In truth, I think he's scared shitless, but he wants to catch us in a foreign policy faux pas.  He knows we can only take the nuke issue so far.  We can't afford to invade Iran.

My suggestion is that we pay less attention to his nukes and more attention to his terror connections.  If we can put him in a position where it is in his best interests not to support terror, then the nukes become less of an issue.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6560|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
You don't have to attack Iran you know.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6524|Connecticut
Step one: Send in the Marines
Malloy must go
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6560|Global Command

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Yup, Israel will not sit quietly while Iran loads a warhead on a rocket.
Woe to man.
التعريفات
Squiggles
+102|6399|Cali
No point in attacking, Iran has the strongest military force in the Middle East. That would be pretty extraordinary if they were handled the same way as Iraq was...
BVC
+325|6726
Assuming that war with Iran takes place, I believe it will depend largely on a number of factors:

A)Who strikes first
B)Whether its justified

If Iran/etc strike first and it is justified, US/etc will have minimal backing
If Iran/etc strike first and it is unjustified, US/etc will have good backing
If US/etc strike first and it is justified, Iran/etc will have minimal backing
If US/etc strike first and it is unjustitifed, Iran/etc will have good backing

C)The level of justification for the strike (assuming that it is justified)
If justification is weak, backing will be weak.  Similarly, if justification is strong, backing will be strong.

D)Any extra location-specific influence/leverage which can be used.
LOTS of wildcards here, and remember any extra backing gained may be given under duress.

Last edited by Pubic (2006-11-20 23:14:04)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6592

Harmor wrote:

With total international backing (aka Iraq 1991 war)?
You wouldn't be able to get the MEU in on it.

Harmor wrote:

With partial international backing (aka Iraq 2003 war)?
That wasn't really partial so much as a minority international backing.  Partial would be a significant number of countries, but more than the 4 or 5 you had for Iraq.

Harmor wrote:

With no backing (US goes it alone)?
Ha!  You should do stand up!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard