GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6761

Just did my first 3 month liquid replacement and it turns out that there is this disgusting gunk building up inside the tubes, and the reservoir, and the water block. I can't tell what it is exactly, kinda looks like rust. There seems to be no effect on performance (same temps, same throughput of water), but it looks nasty now, and no longer glows beautifully with the blacklight like when I first started. Any one know what I can do to clean this shit out?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
Flush the system? What kind of resevoir do you have?
GotMex?
+193|6761

I have this container that sits in a 5.25 bay. It was part of the Thermaltake Big Water SE kit. I like it cause it ensures no air can get into the system. How might I be able to flush the system? I am trying to figure out how to get just the pump running without the rest of the computer being on. Anyway to turn the power supply on without being hooked up to the computer? Also, is there any liquid that might be able to cleanse the inside of the system? Maybe something to dissolve the gunk.
DarkZealot89
Wait A Minute!
+46|6546|Louisville, Ky
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s … p?t=118964

Will explain the pro's and cons and how to start a Power Supply without a computer.
spud924
+12|6451|The Sticks, WA, USA
just use a differnet computer for power
DarkZealot89
Wait A Minute!
+46|6546|Louisville, Ky

spud924 wrote:

just use a differnet computer for power
...You could do that too, but that may be harder / less convent than connecting a wire to two places on the ATX connector.
Defiance
+438|6669

Congradutations, you just fucked up your water cooling system because you did not read the fucking manual!

DO NOT USE TAP WATER. DO USE DISTILLED WATER. DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER LONE. DO USE DISTILLED WATER AND AN ANTI-GROWTH AGENT.

/cap

Said "agents" can be found in green glows that you might find likeable. Keeps water running smooth.

Oh, and you're going to have to replace all the effected parts of the system.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6638|Your moms bedroom
switch to distilled water
GotMex?
+193|6761

I didn't use tap water...

...I used the approved cooling liquid which is mostly Ethylene Glycol.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-11-16 22:43:32)

RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6573
Rust, eh? 

Could be galvanic corrosion going on, read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_c … _corrosion

I don't know what components your cooling system is consists of, but if there are two dissimilar metals in a fluid acting as an electrolyte, bad things are going to happen.

It's probably lucky you caught it, whatever the cause, bad things happen when CPUs overheat.

edit: just wanted to ask: is your radiator copper, and is your CPU cooler aluminum?

Last edited by RoofusMcDoofus (2006-11-16 22:50:41)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Never in my tech life have I recommended liquid cooling to anyone. I've been running systems just fine on heat sinks and fans alone.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6561|British Columbia, Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Never in my tech life have I recommended liquid cooling to anyone. I've been running systems just fine on heat sinks and fans alone.
Ya.. but liquid cooling is alot less silent..

A lot of computers with Fans and Heat sinks sound like Jet engines when they are underload or on startup..
GotMex?
+193|6761

I'm gonna try some anti-algae product and see if that cleans things up a bit. It's all I could find similar on forums talking about the same product.

And I went to water cooling cause it was the only way to get my Pentium 805 D chip to run @ 4.0 Ghz without a problem. Silent and keeps things cooler than a fan... god enough reasons there.
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6526|Panama
Oehh, that sucks man...

I suggest : Just clear the tubes out
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6548|Reading, Basingrad
Do you have a copper waterblock?
GotMex?
+193|6761

Dieselboy wrote:

Do you have a copper waterblock?
Yup, why?
SilentscoutIX
BF2s US Server Admin
+91|6386|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Could it be the copper oxidizing? Just a guess, and yes I know there is no air in the liquid cooling system.
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6548|Reading, Basingrad
It's probably copper oxide gunking up your system.

If you use dissimilar metals with major parts of water cooling they can create a electric charge and kick off corrosion.
I suggest using 20% antifreeze + Waterwetter with distilled water.......you'd still have to flush it regularly but it should stop the sludge

BTW 20% antifreeze + WW = Terrible stench
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6526|Panama
Just refresh the water once in a while.. Thats my suggestion...
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6491|N. Ireland
Did you bleed the system? Unless you see air holes, I doubt the copper is oxidizing..
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

LT.Victim wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

A lot of computers with Fans and Heat sinks sound like Jet engines when they are underload or on startup..
Alot more silent, you mean. Volume also depends on how many fans you have set to automatic speed. CPU's all that should be necessary, with the exhaust ports on manually variable speeds, if you want. Then again, it also depends on the quality of your chassis. Hassle:noise ratio.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-17 09:59:34)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

I used to get it too.  I used one of the larger metal brush fitting from my gun cleaning kit to clean out the tubes.  I didn't use a resevoir, so I'm not sure about that one.
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6573

leetkyle wrote:

Did you bleed the system? Unless you see air holes, I doubt the copper is oxidizing..
Copper will oxidize in the presence of water, too, up to a point.  A thin layer of copper oxides will develop no matter what you do, basically.  However, the problem can be aggravated when water soluble, reactive gases are in solution with water.  If carbon dioxide is allowed to be in contact with the surface of the water, it can eventually create a tiny amount of carbonic acid, by dissolving in the water, lowering the pH.  This alone, over a period of time could allow enough free ions to set up a galvanic cell between metals with dissimilar electrochemical potentials, even if this was not a possibility at first.  It should be noted that there are different alloys of copper, and although the electro-potential difference is very small between them, little effects add up over months and years.  Also, little bugs can also drastically increase the rate at which carbonic acid reaches equilibrium with atmospheric CO2.  Dissolved oxygen can do similar things.

I think the ideal solution would be to hermetically seal the cooling system (water and some anti-bacterials, and some anti-corrosion stuffs), after vacuum evacuating the system of dissolved gases and bubbles, then pump in nitrogen until pressure in the system is slightly greater than atmospheric pressure, to reduce the possiblity of any other gases from hanging around--because gases do slowly diffuse through plastic tubing and other materials.  I think this would effectively allow such a system to last many life times.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida
Get some of the stuff you put in fish tank water, that makes tap water habitable for the fish.
Inspect@hDeck
+23|6424|Browntown

LT.Victim wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So, it's actually louder than air cooling? Why use it at all?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard