Should they ban JROTC?

Yes! It has no place in schools.13%13% - 18
No! They are banning a reasonable activity.54%54% - 72
What is JROTC???31%31% - 41
Total: 131
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6707|US
Do you think this is appropriate?  The school board banned JROTC on the basis that the military's "pro-war and anti-homosexual" stance has no place in school.  Others note that JROTC does not use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy and does not discriminate against homosexuals.

Thoughts and opinions?
kilgoretrout
+53|6462|Little Rock, AR
It's the school board's call.  If the parents of the school don't like it, they should run for school board.

Edit:  I'm not saying JROTC doesn't have a place in schools.  I was in JROTC in high school.  I'm just saying that specific school board has the authority to decide they don't want it in their district, the same way they could decide not to have football (heh, like that would ever happen...)

Last edited by kilgoretrout (2006-11-15 21:01:55)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6625|USA
Pro-War fine. anti homosexual. thats my big issue. If they are gonna do that. then fuck them.
Perfeck.kirby
IT's Perfect.kirby
+2|6758|Winterpeg Manitoba
Jrotc?
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
And just where are we to get replacements for Iraq, idiots...
oberst_enzian
+234|6735|melb.au

Perfeck.kirby wrote:

Jrotc?
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6470|Communist Republic of CA, USA
I'm in JROTC (Located on the other side of the bay as SF, but still too close for comfort) myself, and that is the dumbest decision I've ever heard.  For some of us, the Military provides something we can't get somewhere else.  I've been set on being in the Military since I was 5.  JROTC is a great program to show young people what the military is like, and still give them the option of backing down.  For Some kids, it can make or break a college application.  This new ban has put 1700 kids out of this activity.  I feel the tightness of the members of my JROTC unit is an awesome feeling.  I've never had such a great group of friends.  We're also good for demonstrations; our drill team always turns heads in parades and the like.  We get to be trained by real Military members, sometimes on base.  I went to Pendleton this summer for a program called Devil Pups, which was basically a 10 day bootcamp for people like myself.  It was not a program for "bad-kids" rather people who shared my same interests.   The Freakin' Boy Scouts won't accept Homosexuals either, so is SF gonna ban them from having units there too?  This is why I hate the Communist Republic of California.

Last edited by Major.League.Infidel (2006-11-15 21:11:06)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6712|California

SF... Fails.

Banning JROTC is basically banning a form of education, which im pretty sure is against the law.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6541|Southeastern USA
then i guess they don't want anymore federal money, huh?
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California

kr@cker wrote:

Yeah, cuz they get sooo much to begin with...  Blue states (where the intelligent people live along the coasts where there's reality and an actual threat) have already been ganked by no "rich" child left behind and the military gets the contact data for all students in return for the funds they do get...so they can hussle the non-white inner city kids with lies and distorted promises.  I believe there's other blackmails the government puts on public schools as threats to pull funding.  It's nice the SF school districts stood up to their shit.  I believe other big city school districts are doing it too.

Oh, and states provide the majority of school funding.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6694|Little Rock, Arkansas

IRONCHEF wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

Yeah, cuz they get sooo much to begin with...  Blue states (where the intelligent people live along the coasts where there's reality and an actual threat) have already been ganked by no "rich" child left behind and the military gets the contact data for all students in return for the funds they do get...so they can hussle the non-white inner city kids with lies and distorted promises.  I believe there's other blackmails the government puts on public schools as threats to pull funding.  It's nice the SF school districts stood up to their shit.  I believe other big city school districts are doing it too.

I think you're missing the bigger point here. If its such a bad thing, why do kids keep joining? Why does the school board feel compelled to "protect" those kids from the evils of learning the value of discipline and respect? Its not like JROTC kids are running out there and joining the military as enlisted soldiers. They provide scholarships and entry into service academies and ROTC programs where these kids, many of whom could not afford it otherwise, can get a first rate education. Is the SF school board going to provide the money these kids may have gotten from JROTC for college? I don't think so.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

SF for the fail. I was in AFJROTC for for years. The closest to military was marching around and color guard duty. Militant my ass. I learned more in JROTC than in any other high school program. History, psychology, management, aviation, stockmarket, money management, and misc. organization skills. SF banned JROTC just because they're in a snit about people not bending over and kissing gay ass at every turn.

On the other hand, it's the board's decision. If enough people complain about it, they might reverse the decision. All I see this doing is attracting a boat load of derision towards the already ridiculed city.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6365|Kyiv, Ukraine
You're missing the point.  The federal government, which had no right in the first place to fund schools in any way (and most money for the schools ISN'T from the feds anyway) is using this same meager funding to inject a pro-military agenda into the schools.  The school board basically said "We ain't a bunch of sell-outs."  There are other ways in which to do this, JROTC should be an option for kids, yes (annoying little hemmorhoids that they were during my 7 years in the Army), but the federal government jacking up taxes so they can in turn blackmail states into conforming to an unpopular agenda is just wrong.  Take highway and road infrastructure for example...if states didn't raise the drinking age to 21, a chunk of federal money gets cut off.  Money that the federal government shouldn't have had in the first place to throw around...but with the introduction of the federal income tax earlier this century where the taxation pool shifted more from states to centralized federal government, D.C. politicians had a new way to exert control.  I'm not seeing why real conservatives aren't up in arms, maybe because they always attach this trick to a moral agenda (military, Support the Troops! or Drinking is Bad).  America is the dead last "civilized country" where higher education is not a fundamental right.  They did it with college (all but forcing the "have-nots" to join the military to get there) and now they're attempting a similar trick with high schools ("accept our military indoctrination program or your school will suck").

If the military wants to open a JROTC training center next to the school, wonderful.  If they want to run it as an after school program on Federal land, great.  If they want to tell the school they MUST do this or my child will suffer from an underfunded educational program, go to hell.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

You're missing the point.  The federal government, which had no right in the first place to fund schools in any way (and most money for the schools ISN'T from the feds anyway) is using this same meager funding to inject a pro-military agenda into the schools.  The school board basically said "We ain't a bunch of sell-outs."  There are other ways in which to do this, JROTC should be an option for kids, yes (annoying little hemmorhoids that they were during my 7 years in the Army), but the federal government jacking up taxes so they can in turn blackmail states into conforming to an unpopular agenda is just wrong.  Take highway and road infrastructure for example...if states didn't raise the drinking age to 21, a chunk of federal money gets cut off.  Money that the federal government shouldn't have had in the first place to throw around...but with the introduction of the federal income tax earlier this century where the taxation pool shifted more from states to centralized federal government, D.C. politicians had a new way to exert control.  I'm not seeing why real conservatives aren't up in arms, maybe because they always attach this trick to a moral agenda (military, Support the Troops! or Drinking is Bad).  America is the dead last "civilized country" where higher education is not a fundamental right.  They did it with college (all but forcing the "have-nots" to join the military to get there) and now they're attempting a similar trick with high schools ("accept our military indoctrination program or your school will suck").

If the military wants to open a JROTC training center next to the school, wonderful.  If they want to run it as an after school program on Federal land, great.  If they want to tell the school they MUST do this or my child will suffer from an underfunded educational program, go to hell.
Ludicrous. In all my four years of JROTC, not once did any of the instructors try to recruit or indoctrinate any one of us. Most members I know didn't even enter the military, but instead went on to college to train for other jobs. The program is vastly fun and informative, and high school students should have the right to choose whether or not they wish to participate. JROTC is not some sort of whacko militant program like people think it is.

"Close down the music program, as it indoctrinates students into drug-addicted musician lifestyles. Sports, because it promotes steroid abuse. JROTC...because students might join the military?" If I put it that way, it doesn't make much sense, does it.

IRONCHEF wrote:

Blue states (where the intelligent people live along the coasts...
Snob.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-16 01:55:11)

GorillaTicTacs
+231|6365|Kyiv, Ukraine
"Close down the music program, as it indoctrinates students into drug-addicted musician lifestyles. Sports, because it promotes steroid abuse. JROTC...because students might join the military?" If I put it that way, it doesn't make much sense, does it.
You're a little behind there on the sarcasm, both music and PE programs are on the chopping blocks everywhere...many school districts are forced to choose just one or the other or even cut both, and this is even WITH all the federal help.  By the way, I never said JROTC was bad, I was saying it shouldn't ever be a way to hold my tax dollars hostage and away from my kids.  The two concepts should never be related.

http://www.schoolmusicmatters.com/resou … estats=yes
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

Well, we don't have things like JROTC in germany, and all of the public schools are state-funded ( with the exceptions of private public schools, of course ).

if the school board is of the opinion that it can provide a qualified education to all pupils in the school district area, even without the JROTC program and the funding that comes with it, then so be it. It is at the discretion  of the board to make that decision.

then again, if state funding is necessarily tied to JROTC programs, that would clearly be blackmail on part of the federal government.

on a second note, after having read a couple of articles about it, like this one:
http://www.examiner.com/a-397459~Board_ … ogram.html , this one: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1737990/posts , or this one: http://journalism.berkeley.edu/ngno/stories/027774.html , it would seem that the JROTC programs in general are good things, and that attempts to get rid of them in SF are mostly due to the very "liberal" agenda which the SF area holds, especially with regard to the military.

After all, if you even have an openly gay member on the school board, how is he supposed to cast a fair vote ?

If it helps get some students a quality education and teach social skills and self-discipline which they otherwise would have no access to, I say keep the JROTC program.

Trying to deny those kids access to such education just because of a political agenda is truly fucked up.
I have long believed that some gay activists will stop at nothing to push their agendas through, even if it means disregarding the best interests of the people they are dealing with. SF pupils obviously benefit tremendously from the JROTC program, both educationally and with regard to important social skills.

From my point of view, the District School Board is entrusted with serving the best interests of the District's pupils, not the political agenda of one of its members.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Personally, I don't see why it's a bad thing. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and tbh, I wish I had access to that kind of thing over here. Obviously, living out of my home country doesn't help, but still. It's doing all sorts of things that I personally am interested it. The closest thing to that I could do here is Boy Scouts, but I'm not into child molestation...
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker
JROTC should be an option.  No one's forcing kids to join.  The school board made a stupid decision motivated by their own prejudice.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6541|Southeastern USA

IRONCHEF wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

im going to assume you were stoned when you wrote that, as i had to re-read it 20 times to try and figure out what exactly you were getting at
I know states provide the majority of the school funding, but not all, and as to the rest of the specious crap you spewed, that's what the "real" "threatened" "intelligent" blue state people get for letting a drunk bastard like the "real threatened intelligent blue" ted kennedy from the "real" "intelligent" "blue" state of Massachussetts write the no child left behind bill (granted he was asked to do so by bush, so much for non-partisan cooperation), what's next, is he going to write a program to train school bus drivers to cross bridges?

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-11-16 08:04:04)

USAFDude_1988
Will fly for food.
+120|6501|Daytona Beach, FL

IRONCHEF wrote:

Blue states (where the intelligent people live along the coasts where there's reality and an actual threat)
The idea of completely disbanding the U.S. military (as one SF city official has suggested) certainly shows the supreme intelligence and lack of ignorance of SF's leaders. [/sarcasm]

This just shows the hypocrisy of many liberals today. They preach "tolerance," then they turn around and do shit like this. I should also mention that one SF high school's JROTC program had many homosexuals and even a transgender enrolled in the program.. how much more tolerant can you get?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
They better not ban it in NY. I'm taking it if I can.

As for pro-war...you'd figure a MILITARY program would be pro-war.
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California
lol, you clowns are all taking my words out of proportion.  for starters, i've not said jrotc was bad, non-productive, or intolerant in the least.  i did suggest that it was removed from schools because the implementation of it violated some important issues for san franciscans.

i actually wish they had a rotc program for my high school when i was in.  i wanted to go to SDSU and do ROTC there to join the air force one day.
FederalRepublic
+4|6367

IRONCHEF wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

Do you really believe what you type?

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nation … a06-09.cfm

"The previous study noted the significant differ­ence between the national recruit high school grad­uation rate of 98 percent and the national youth graduation rate of 75 percent."

For the layman - The military's recruits are smarter than the rest of the population.

"In 2004, 92.1 percent of active-duty officer accessions held baccalaureate degrees or higher.[5] From 2000 to 2005, between 10 percent and 17 percent of active-duty officer accessions held advanced degrees, and between 35 percent and 45 percent of the active-duty officer corps held advanced degrees.[6] This indicates that officers continued their educa­tion during the course of their mili­tary service."

Care to look up the general population and get back to us?
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6623|USA
Its just another way of the school board making decisions on the false assumption they are proctecting their students from something.  I'll admit, the military is not everyones "cup of tea" but to just flat out remove that option from everyone is the most stupid knee jerk reaction ever.

there are a lot of good things that come from the military, and i will admit, without the my time, i would not be where i am today.  The military gave me an education, a job, skills and leadership abilities that help me in my civilian life today.  I for one am much better off because of it.  Good luck with you SF students. 

Looks like SF school board is leaving kids behind
OpsChief
+101|6668|Southern California

RAIMIUS wrote:

Do you think this is appropriate?  The school board banned JROTC on the basis that the military's "pro-war and anti-homosexual" stance has no place in school.  Others note that JROTC does not use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy and does not discriminate against homosexuals.

Thoughts and opinions?
They should drum SF out of the Union and charge them a 100% tariff on everything. Na that's too easy. Any school refusing to assist in the defense of the nation should forfeit Federal Funds. Remove Federal Military Installations (= 100s of millions to San Francisco economy) and don't provide any military-related federal assistance after the next big earthquake or tsunami wastes frisco. Those people need to stand up and understand who and what the military is.

Anyone who thinks the US military is "Pro War" is a consumate ass and likely never served.  The military is Pro Winning Wars, not pro war, it is our job to prepare for war and getting the best soldiers and officers available is a damn good way to prepare. They took the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer out of schools now they take JROTC one of the last few legitimate groups who promotes moral codes and ethical behavior. Shortsighted selfserving simpleminded Asses.  Yes it is true, this Nation will fall from within as predicted and as the historian's said about Rome they will say about the USA "the moral decay paved the path to the fall".

Note: I am against taking moral codes/practices out of schools and not for taking the Rights of the Individual out of the Constitution

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard