(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6838|Grapevine, TX
HOW do you line up the Bombing Sights??  I know it depends on Altitude, Speed and Angle.  Please be descriptive!  I haven't really figured it out yet, but getting better.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

borbor wrote:

First, I still find it fairly challenging to shoot down the bot-controlled jet, but with practice I'm sure I'll be able to do it regularly. If I lose the other jet's tail (against a bot or a human), what's a good way to recover and get back on it?
You have to anticipate where they are heading. E.g. If they don't know you are there, and are injured, they will likely break for their airstrip. If they shot out all their rockets and bombs, then they will likely head to rearm. If they know you are there, they will likely continue the hard turn they were making when you lost them...Once you get a feel for your enemy pilot then you can anticipate how they fly. It's not always easy to follow them when there is no POV look around unless you jig up one with joy2key mentioned earlier.

borbor wrote:

Second, I find that I can only bomb ground targets when I dive at them. I used to do bombing runs by flying at a constant height low to the ground and I frequently damaged my plane with my own bombs. Zenmaster's videos made me realize I should try diving at my ground target. I do that now and it is much better. Any tips on how to aim bombs better? Does a steeper dive help? Or dropping the bomb when my plane is closer to the ground?
Steeper the dive the more accuracy but the more time you need to pull out. Release your bombs on the decline, not when your leveling out or pulling up. Read more in this thread about single bombing etc.

borbor wrote:

Third, I don't have a joystick so until I get decent with the jet I have been using all keys to fly (the numpad takes the place of the mouse, with 7 and 9 as primary and secondary fire). The keys are much more sensitive than the mouse (at least in the default mouse setup). I know everyone says a joystick is absolutely necessary, but is it possible to fly decently using all keys instead of a joystick?
It is necessary.

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

HOW do you line up the Bombing Sights??  I know it depends on Altitude, Speed and Angle.  Please be descriptive!  I haven't really figured it out yet, but getting better.
Watch the videos.
CackNBallz
+45|6752|Toronto, Canada
Thanks to your videos and advice I am finally killing more with a jet than I am dying or crashing! I absolutely love the bomber, but I hate getting shot up by fighter jets.

I still have some problems consistently following bogies especially when they fly straight up into the air at which point both of us lose control...

But other than that I have seen a very consistent increase in my jet flying skills. I also have actually been killing enemies using the laser guided missiles with the tips you gave me (in page 2 I think).

What part of Canada are you from?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

I go to school at University of Victoria on Vancouver Island. I will be back there on the fourth for yet another term of electrical engineering.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721
Third, I don't have a joystick so until I get decent with the jet I have been using all keys to fly (the numpad takes the place of the mouse, with 7 and 9 as primary and secondary fire). The keys are much more sensitive than the mouse (at least in the default mouse setup). I know everyone says a joystick is absolutely necessary, but is it possible to fly decently using all keys instead of a joystick?
right now, i do have a joystick (got it 2 days ago), but before i got it, i only used keyboard and keyboard only.

you can see my stats (id's washow)

it's not so great, but that stat (minus about 30 kills i got from learning how to fly with joystick) is purely from keyboard, and yet it's not so bad.

still, i think i can bomb more accurately with keyboard. but joystick really helps flying cuz it's so smooth that way.

BTW, when fly with keyboard, use spacebar for MG and keypad 0 for bomb
way easier than keypad 7,9 (IMO though)
supa_fly52
Save a Mouse, Eat a Pussy
+8|6764|Gold Coast, Australia
I Prefer using the mouse over joystick when the mouse is on a sensitivity level of 10.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

washow wrote:

right now, i do have a joystick (got it 2 days ago), but before i got it, i only used keyboard and keyboard only.

you can see my stats (id's washow)
Sup washow i see you on wake all the time

If you wanna be a great pilot you need to use your joystick. Please calibrate it though! If you wanna be a mediocre bomber, you can do that with the keyboard, but you aren't at even 30% of your potential without a joystick.

Supafly, you've only flown a few hours, that doesn't really classify your info as useful for people here. No offense intended at all, I'm just saying your advice isn't really helpful to encourage people why or why not a joystick is better.

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2005-12-28 21:12:42)

washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721
i totally agree with zen. using joystick will improve your skill by A LOT.

i just haven't mastered the art of using joystick.. hehe

and btw fly,

don't you think that your sig is really excessive? i mean you replied 1 line and your sig is taking like half of the screen..

dam..
0mikr0n
Airborne Clan
+19|6705
Ehh, I'm a pretty good ace pilot, but all I do is bomb enemy vehicles and shoot down planes. Yes, I use a keyboard.

It's not that hard if you practice.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

0mikr0n wrote:

Ehh, I'm a pretty good ace pilot, but all I do is bomb enemy vehicles and shoot down planes. Yes, I use a keyboard.

It's not that hard if you practice.
Aviator      02:31:06      51      55      0.93      5

Don't encourage people in this thread that a keyboard + mouse combo is OK unless you want to

a) show them how to use it to be an effective pilot
b) show them some reasonable stats to reflect your expertise
c) dude I'm not even an ace pilot and I've got 100 hours in!
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6706|Germany
Yup,the Zenmaster shows in his videos that being an aviator in BF2 is a completely new game and that it takes a lot of offline practice to become an ace.

For the jets is a joystick mandatory,I used to fly a lot in BF1942 and the joystick just makes a big difference.For choppers I personally prefer keyboard and mouse and I'm sure that there are chopper aces who use kb+mouse-combo.

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-01-01 12:59:27)

Knave
+1|6712
I read the initial post and after flying a bit, everything you said reflects hours of experience that have gone into it.  Its nice to see that someone is speaking from experience, and that when you get into the actual cockpit, your advice rings true.

I have a quick question:

When flying an American jet, how do you toggle from dropping one bomb at a time to dropping both at a time?

Thanks in advance and for putting together one of the most informative flying guides I've seen to date.

Last edited by Knave (2006-01-04 06:34:32)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6699|Tampa Bay Florida
Zenmaster you are one hell of an ace, I've see you in TSH's Wake 24/7 all of the time, you've shot me down several times too.  I think you were in my squad once too.  That was cool.  One quick question

I just got a joystick, but after a few months of using the keyboard and mouse I find it EXTREMELY challenging to fly.  At this point, should I just give up on the joystick, or should I just keep practicing (for weeks) until I can change styles.  BTW, my joystick is a Logitech Attack 3

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-01-04 17:13:34)

washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721

Spearhead wrote:

I just got a joystick, but after a few months of using the keyboard and mouse I find it EXTREMELY challenging to fly.  At this point, should I just give up on the joystick, or should I just keep practicing (for weeks) until I can change styles.  BTW, my joystick is a Logitech Attack 3
definitly practice joystick more and i'm sure lots of good pilots, including zen, would say that

i used to use only keyboard to fly for month+ and when i first got my joystick, it was so hard to get used to

but i practiced and now i'm so much better with joystick in every way

practice in singleplayer.. there's mod that enables you to use 64 map in sp so you can practice in other maps instead of just operation clean sweep

took me 3 days or so to really get used to it

good luck
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6699|Tampa Bay Florida
kk will do.  I usually just start my own LAN server and play a 64-man map that way
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721
yea but you get bots my way

target practice is where it's at

lol
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6802
Nice guide and I looked at your stats.  Your ratio of almost 12:1 is impressive.

I just wondered, how did someone kill you 31 times in a round?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

aardfrith wrote:

Nice guide and I looked at your stats.  Your ratio of almost 12:1 is impressive.

I just wondered, how did someone kill you 31 times in a round?
I went afk for dinner and left the white circle on an uncap spawn. I guess this guy went to my main and just waited for me to spawn every 15 seconds lol. Everyone asks me this question though, it's getting tiring, I'd hardly let anyone kill me over and over on purpose.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

The following thread (rant) on joysticks has been added for your aviation pleasure.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=11021

Also, evidently, Chuy still hasn't found anyone to do the aviator wiki, which indeed appears a daunting task considering how much I have written (I don't feel like redoing it all nice and neet in one wiki guide), so if you're intelligent, and willing, please talk to Chuy through PM.

EDIT: Oh yea a further note, MGing works considerably well vs. tanks all things factored in. I've been testing this out more and more, and when I first made this post I thought MG had little effect vs. tanks. But after driving tanks and getting shot by good pilots with only MG, and after doing it myself, I've found that one bomb + a loop and return MG fire will kill the tank, which is incredibly good news to accurate pilots, provided your first bomb got a decent hit.

An aside, many people say that you can kill a full health tank with one bomb. I have yet to see this in thousands of bombs dropped, if it explodes in one hit I know it had already accumulated some damage. But if you bomb guys who just jump in a spawned tank, let him drive forward a little bit, and smack em with one bomb, they wont die...ever.

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2006-01-19 16:52:59)

={PS}=Rage
+2|6687|Lake Stevens, WA
keyboard and mouse is much better in heli then joystick, but gotta have joystick for airplanes.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6755

={PS}=Rage wrote:

keyboard and mouse is much better in heli then joystick, but gotta have joystick for airplanes.
Thx tips.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721
lol

anyway i was just wondering if you could write some tips for flying helo with JOYSTICK

i can fly with keyboard+keyboard easy but i can't really turn fast or hover.

whenever i try to fly helo with joystick, i just do a cockscrew and die..  sigh

help~
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6762
Thanks [Canada]_Zenmaster, and other informative posters in this thread.
I read this thread, watched Zenmaster's videos, and got myself a joystick.
Would never have gotten ribbon without your help, thanks.
https://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3299/screen034750x6005jc.th.jpg
Masta_Daco
+39|6746|Amsterdam,The Netherlands
Hey [Canada]_Zenmaster do u have any tips how to bomb on the J10 cuz in the other airplanes like the f-35 u have the vertical line and u know when to drop and in the mig-29 u have the vertical line plus the horizontal glass line and u know when to drop bombs but the j10 doesnt have any of those so i always have to guess when to drop my bombs usually i miss i really need help with bombing on the j10 thx.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6721
j10 got no vertical line?? lol can't even remember and i just flew 30 min ago

anyway set a key for "rear view" and everytime you bomb, press the button and see where bomb drops

do that for sometime and you will KNOW when to drop bomb at whatever angle you are by second nature

just practice on singleplayer or empty server.. you have to know it by second nature and practice is where it's at

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard