Poll

Should pagan worship be allowed on military headstones?

Yes87%87% - 62
No12%12% - 9
Total: 71
HM1{N}
+86|6663|East Coast via Los Angeles, CA
It seems the military is being sued because Wiccans aren't allowed to have their emblems emblazoned on headstones.  Would this really adversely affect others who visit a cemetary and see the symbol on a headstone next to their loved one?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/13/widow … index.html

Last edited by HM1{N} (2006-11-13 13:52:23)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6755|Salt Lake City

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Wicca is older than Christianity, but much of the disdain for the religion comes from fictional books and Hollywood.  People actually believe that crap, rather than see it as entertainment.

Since I'm sure 99.9999% of the people on these forums have seen Star Wars, the "Force" is very much based on Wiccan religious beliefs about where the power comes from, and that like many other things, it is neither good nor bad.  That is determined by its use.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6441|San Antonio, TX
I just believe in that whole Bill of Rights thing... especially if these people are serving to defend it!  Not saying that just because you don't serve you're not worthy of it.

Last edited by silo1180 (2006-11-13 14:03:13)

RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6556|Chicago
As an athiest, I figure I can give a pretty objective view on this. I think that the soldier should be allowed to choose any symbol to be put on their headstone. The fact that they're soldiers doesn't mean they aren't allowed to practice whatever religion they wish. If there's a wiccan soldier who was KIA, that doesn't change the fact he died serving his country. If crosses and stars of David are allowed in military cemetaries, wiccan symbols should be too.

What I don't understand is why people are getting upset about the wiccan symbols...
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6678|BC, Canada
damn straight, if you die for your country, put whatever you want on there, hell if you die for anything, put whatever you want on there.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6612|Lexington, Kentucky
Yes. Any religious symbol should be allowed.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6755|Salt Lake City

RedTwizzler wrote:

What I don't understand is why people are getting upset about the wiccan symbols...
Because stories and movies have twisted the Wiccan religion to be synonymous with devil worship.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6556|Chicago

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

damn straight, if you die for your country, put whatever you want on there, hell if you die for anything, put whatever you want on there.
Ah, yes, that's another point I forgot to make. It's their headstone. Who the hell cares? If I want a headstone shaped like Saddam Hussein fucking George Bush in the ass, I should be able to have it, and so should a soldier (...if they were so inclined).
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6556|Chicago

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Because stories and movies have twisted the Wiccan religion to be synonymous with devil worship.
Well who is the government to make restrictions on what symbols can be displayed in a cemetary? That seems like a breach of the first amendment to me.
IRONCHEF
+385|6510|Northern California
I think only Christian crosses should be allowed.  just kidding.   What is a wiccan emblem to look like if it's going to be on a tombstone?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6755|Salt Lake City

RedTwizzler wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Well who is the government to make restrictions on what symbols can be displayed in a cemetary? That seems like a breach of the first amendment to me.
Dude, you be preaching to the choir here.  However, you have a lot of fundamentalist groups in this country that believe that right only extends to more traditional religions.  Even though it has been stated for some time that freed of religion also means freedom from religion, many of them still don't buy that.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6755|Salt Lake City

IRONCHEF wrote:

I think only Christian crosses should be allowed.  just kidding.   What is a wiccan emblem to look like if it's going to be on a tombstone?
My guess is it would be a standard post like base, and then a circular area at the top, where the star in the circle would be engraved.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6487
cults are bad
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6703|United States of America
What do they do for atheist headstones? Or agnostic? Do they just put up like a stick or something? I've never seen any besides cross or star really.

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-11-13 14:40:16)

liquix
+51|6473|Peoples Republic of Portland
Why the hell not. People come to America to be free, not so someone else can decide what goes on their tombstones. Saying no to me is almost as bad as people who are converting their dead ancestors to mormonism because it's "what they would have wanted."
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6519|Los Angeles
You died for your country, you should be able to put whatever you damn well please. Regardless of whether you believe in magical fairies, witches, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Jesus.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6664|Ohio
All they want is a pentagram. whoop-di-doo. give it to them, what can it hurt. The only reason we think it is a symbol for the devil is because in the beginning, the Catholic church faced rebellion from the pagans, who worshiped nature, the pentogram represented the sacred feminine (yay da vinci code) so they told all catholics pagan symbols were the devil. the end.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6464|The Land of Scott Walker
If I served my country and died, I'd want a cross.  If they die in service to their country and want a wiccan symbol, they should get it.  I don't know why this is even a question.
Sambuccashake
+126|6629|Sweden
Who cares?

Christianity, Islam, Wiccan or what ever. They are all made up so why should "pagan worship" be excluded when christianity is not?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6735
They fought for our country... they can have whatever they wan't on their tombstone....  I dont have to agree
with their beliefs... I respect their bravery and honor...
Love is the answer
CameronPoe
+2,925|6574
That is difficult to comprehend. Why would anyone else have a right to dictate what goes on YOUR headstone? Let alone them being said people you died in battle for!?!?!?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/morbidbastid.jpg
twiistaaa
+87|6687|mexico

Stingray24 wrote:

If I served my country and died, I'd want a cross.  If they die in service to their country and want a wiccan symbol, they should get it.  I don't know why this is even a question.
exactly. simple. why they fuck do people keep worrying about trivial shit?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6668

Personally, I think having a headstone in the shape of a phallus would be quite cool. And if I was a Pastafarian, would I be allowed a picture of the FSM on my headstone?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6600|SE London

Stingray24 wrote:

If they die in service to their country and want a wiccan symbol, they should get it.  I don't know why this is even a question.
QFT

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard