THESAVAGE1
+6|6485
There are many different levels of back pain. If you can manage to get to your computer to type, then although it hurts it's probabaly not too bad as far as back problems go.

It could be that you've torn a muscle, in which case you need to see a chiropractor or a physiotherapist. Don't waste your time going to either your doctor or the hospital as they most likely wont have a clue.
I'd err on the side of caution and say that 20 mins of ice is just a little too long. Max it at 15 mins as you can cause damage if it's longer.
Most people will just put something warm on a muscle injury, but this is not really recommended when the injury is recent. Ice is much better. (RICE - rest, Ice Compression, Elevation).

I have really bad problems with the spinal erector muscles in my lower back. They tear quite easily, despite lots of exercise and sex, which is obviously good for the back.

If it is a disc injury, you should go and see an osteopath. I was once in complete agony for a couple of months because I popped a disc in the base of my neck. I had to live beside the toilet (don't ask - I could barely move let alone have a nice relaxing shit) in constant pain. It was the worst prelonged period of pain I have ever endured and they wouldn't admit me to hospital, which incidently was across the road from my house.

I was seeing a physio from the hospital, but a friend took me to an osteopath and he sorted it out in about 2 minutes. It was like he just turned off the 'pain' switch and I walked out of there like nothing had happened. I felt such a dick for not doing that straight away, but I was young and foolish... as opposed to old and foolish which I am now.

I've popped that disc a few times - sneezing, turning round quickly, brushing my teeth (!) and I've just gone to see the same guy to have it slotted back in.

Hang on... I'll get back to the subject. Basically, if you can move, count yourself lucky but get it seen to ASAP.
There's lots of information on the net.
Start here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency … 003108.htm

Good luck and never underestimate the healing power of sleeping on the floor for a few nights no matter how much your mattress cost. Maybe you need to get a fat chick...

p.s.  Lie on your back with your arms outstretched in a crucifix position.
Now tuck your knees up so your torso/thighs are at 90 degrees.
Now gently lower both your legs to the left, then the right, trying to keep your back on the floor.
You should feel that stretching out your back.

p.p.s. I'm not a doctor - if you completely tool your back, don't blame it on me lol!!
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6703

Kung Jew wrote:

Ahhhhhh... ok enough jokes...  Towelly is right.  The swimming helps me, as well as the cold shower/hot bath method.  My lower back pain comes from martial arts/horseback injury.

KJ
You were beating on a horse while riding it?

Who won?
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6609|Florida
If it makes you feel any better fass, I pulled a muscle in my neck today while I was working out lol.

If you dont have access to a hot tub, get in the shower and get the water hot, then just let the hot water spray onto your back for a little while.  It helps me.
liquix
+51|6485|Peoples Republic of Portland
Jeez where did you guys learn to put hot things on injuries I don't like aiding inflammation.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6609|Florida
hot water relaxes the muscle though.  If you put cold water/ice on it, it reduces swelling yes, but your muscles get tight and not as flexible.  If you get them warmed up, they are more flexible and more relaxed, thus being less painful.
SteikeTa
+153|6779|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

THESAVAGE1 wrote:

There are many different levels of back pain. If you can manage to get to your computer to type, then although it hurts it's probabaly not too bad as far as back problems go.

It could be that you've torn a muscle, in which case you need to see a chiropractor or a physiotherapist. Don't waste your time going to either your doctor or the hospital as they most likely wont have a clue.
If you have torn a muscle, there is no help in going to a physiotherapist.  If its torn, you need to exercise that area to get the fibers to grow back in a correct way. If its grown back together wrong, it has to be broken up. With force. That will of course hurt. When a person tears a muscle(completely you need to go to the hospital to have a surgery) fiber/muscle eeeee, where its jointed(my English is not that good), it will almost always grow back  wrong. Dint know the specific words in English so it will be a bad description. The endings/beginning of the muscle fibers(it is alot of them), will grow back as a bundle if they are not exercised. During work outs, in this case work out with very little weight, they will attach them self to the "receiving" end of the bone/muscle joint or what ever it is.
If this is the case, that its only torn fibers, you have to work out. When a muscle is contracting, the myofibrills(norwegian word) goes from one fiber to the other and pull them together to make it contract. When it has grown together wrong, it will hurt. Crap, would be much easier to explain this in norwegian.

How do i know this? Athletics school

Ice water and so on will just make the pain go away for a while. Wont do anything if you actually have an injury. Same as painkillers.

Last edited by SteikeTa (2006-11-13 14:58:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard