StormEye
Sniper
+50|6644|Malibu

Magius5.0 wrote:

Distance is your friend against a walker.  Although my friend __Teh Pwnererer has started missile sniping with the damn walkers.  I don't know how he does it, but he hits a good percentage of the time, even at long-range...and with me in the anti-air (we played Minsk earlier tonight, Titan mode) we racked up a good number of kills before some hotshot transport kamikazied into us; had that not happened, we would have owned the whole ground war.  Point proof that two good pilots + engineer can hold off anything with a walker...and still not be over-powered...god damn suicidal noobs.
The walker's missiles have distinct patterns that you can learn after a while.
If you have a good sense of distance and know the projectory of your rockets, it is possible to land good amount of rockets even at the distance.
link52787
+29|6520
I love the walker, its fun.  I tell my commander to drop off a couple of supply crates on a flag I am capturing and I stand by them with the walker and start blasting away!   Its more fun if you are the co-pilot so you can get snipers and AT on rooftops.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6715|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Disodium wrote:

mcgid1 wrote:

Honestly, they're not overpowered at all.  Another thing is that if they face a tank at long range, they're screwed.
So long as the tank driver is like most of the zealots out there.. ZOMG WALKER RUSH!!!
Tanks have 'zoom' for a reason people

Its bothersome how many people just go point blank to a walker, well the ones i see anyway..
My point exactly.
Ed-Wuncler-III
+3|6409|Florida

Disodium wrote:

One thing they are not is overpowered what you want them to shoot carebear love rays from there guns?
Lonewolfs fear them, squads eat them.

Thats what it comes down to...
Correct.  I eat them up "lone style" even when I'm in a squad.  Active camo behind them, switch to RDX and goodbye.  Care bear love rays FTW!
Chuckskull
+3|6374

Scr0k wrote:

(They didn't have a commander and my commander spoiled me with supplies)
That was why it was easy, if the other team has their act together walkers go down fast. not often it happens though.

Last edited by Chuckskull (2006-11-13 01:24:59)

a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6714|MoVal, Southern California
The walkera pwn. They aren't too hard to take down... if you have a pilum, you can blast them with 2 to 3 shots if you hit them in the right spots.

On Minsk i had a 23:1 KD ratio with the walker If you're an engineer, you can fight, repair, and repeat.
Chuckskull
+3|6374
I think my longest killing streak came from circling silo 5 in verdun with the walker. Easy kills,, but if all the other team is too stubborn to spawn as anything other than recon how do they expect to take my down while I'm moving?
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6544
You can take them out with 1 well placed pilum shot.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6704|Antarctica

Scr0k wrote:

(They didn't have a commander and my commander spoiled me with supplies)
Last time I checked that was called TEAMWORK, not imbalance.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6828
https://www.totalbf2142.com/images/unlocks/engineerright3_full.jpg x5 = Walker goes BOOM.
Stags
+26|6655
You know you can crouch in the walker? Just going to assume everyone knew that.

Don't really have anything to say about the walkers being overpowered.  Taken them down in tanks and as just plain infantry.  Most walker pilots tend to engage their shield after the first shell hits, then I wait for it to go down and blast away again.  If they spot me I let them start firing the missiles before engaging my shield.  And continue to move.  Most of them forget they have sprint which is sad because wel that really does help close the distance.

Meh, I use whatever is avaliable so sometimes I'm a ground pounder, tanker, walker pilot or that guy in the god damn buggy.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6780

zeidmaan wrote:

maybe you were on Camp gibraltar or Tunis where there are only 2 walkers in the map and no armour. On them no one wants to be an engineer
People just hide and let you go by and than they go back to nade spamming or shuko spraying.
On Gibralter (64 players!) i found myself in the impossible situation of trying to take one down:

1) since the map is linear the walker was keeping his distance and was surrounded by his own troops which were attacking
2) he had at least one supply drop nearby
3) all the rockets we were shooting at him were either hitting the front or being deflected by his shields so three of us engineers weren't really doing very much damage!

so basically you couldn't get close enough to shoot him in his weak spot because he knew to keep his distance.  any hits on him were repaired by the time we got off the next shots.  out of EMP range. also consider that the secondary turret can spin around on dime so even if you manage to fight your way through all his attacking teammates, your chances of sneaking up on him are very small.   

fricking impossible on gibralter sometimes to take down a good Walker crew...even with teamwork!!!

on other maps i agree its not so hard to take em down.
Stags
+26|6655
Remember if there is a supply create near buy a walker or tank or whatever and the enemy is using it.  Just blow it up.  Makes their screens go white for a bit (blinding them) allowing either you to move or to fire more shots at said targets.  I find it really useful.

Also, a well placed EMP by the commander followed by an OS then of course the engineers finishing it up will usually do the job.
Zefar
+116|6648|Sweden

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

http://www.totalbf2142.com/images/unloc … 3_full.jpg x5 = Walker goes BOOM.
Actually you only need 2 of them to wipe out an Walker because 1 of those does 70+ Damage. No kidding.
But when one of them hunts a Buggy it barely do 20 points of damage and 3 of them only got down a buggy to 70 points or something. Like omfg O_O

Anyway Walkers are pretty hard to take down IF the pilot is a good one. A noob pilot won't know a shit on how to use it and let the upper gunner get some of the kills that the walker can't get.

Plus I usually take down Walkers with the railgun turret pretty easy. Most of the time NO ONE and I mean NO ONE know where I was(I was like 10 feet behind them in a Railgun turret and kept shooting at 2 tanks, 2 APCs and one walker) and after like 9 whole kills SOMEONE finally found out where I was. *gasp*

Normally walkers don't seem to see when I jump into the turret and just shoot at their legs. Not even the co-pilot notice me. Can't complain 2+ kills :3

Last edited by Zefar (2006-11-14 08:49:59)

Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6645|Peoria
Walkers tank it to alot of stuff. Hell, if your so unskilled at killing walkers in sqauds just grab one of the 6,000 air transports and ram the walker with it.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6762
Walkers are very well balanced in my opinion.  If you have a green pilot then they are screwed, but a lot of people want to use armor like it is bf2 all over again.  To those people I just eat them up quickly with a walker, get out and repair. 

The best attack defense I ever did with a walker was on verdun I think at silo 4 and I got stuck between the silo and the building trying to get back to a supply crate.  I barely got in range of the crate when a LRV came flying in with 3 infantry who quickly died because they wanted to be stupid and stay in my line of fire.  After that the first tank came in from the south I hit the shield and started a slow and steady fire of rockets forcing him back.  Crouching to evade his fire (it went over my head due to him being down the hill) I kept scanning around to make sure I wasn't getting flanked from the west.  Turns out another tank came in from that route (I thought it was the first tank). I had the shield back and he was at range so I had to turn the entire turret to hit him with each missile fired.  He was forced back with probably 15-20 armor and the first tank came back with only about 50-60 armor.  My rocket launcher was cooled off and my shield was down so I took 4 rapid shots and killed the first tank and crouched.  The second tank tried to take advantage of this distraction and my weapons cooling off and rushed in with a shield on.  One shot into the armor and my launcher was cool enough for two rapid shots before it overheated again, but I only needed one.  I cleaned up a little token infantry resistance before the calavry (literally, 2 tanks an APC, and a LRV all at once) came in. 

All in all the fight was no more then a minute or two, but outnumbered, out gunned, and stuck, my only luck was the supply crate to hold off the attack until backup arrived.  It seriously felt like a movie script how they rolled in AFTER the fight was done.
Magius5.0
+106|6380|UMass Amherst
Ridir speaks the truth, the walkers with good pilots can do some serious damage even when vastly outnumbered.  Your best bet, like he stated, is to be mobile. good tank drivers will be aiming for your legs where it does the most damage, and I have done the same...the best part is that when you're galloping left and right (getting closer in the process, a zig-zag pattern) straffing him with rockets, they are pretty much forced to either aim for your upper chassis (and have to nail five hits) or pray there's back-up nearby.  Nothing worse than missing the legs and waiting five seconds for the auto-loader on the tank to finish up.  Most tanks can DIE in five seconds if they're retarded with the ADS (Automatic Defense System).

I wish the n00bs would stop bitching...if EA listens to them because they're whiny ten year olds who can't play for beans, they'll nerf the walkers...and I don't want that to happen.  Learn to play the game, kiddies; every unit has weaknesses, walkers are no exception, they are perfectly balanced: equally deadly as equally vulnerable; if you jihad them with a recon+boosting+crapload of RDX like my buddies do, they'll bite the dust.  If you crash a transport into them (and although these tactics work effectively, it feels...cheap) they will go down.  Again, read my strategies of infantry vs. vehicles (in my sig) to see these beasts can be blown to smithereens by even a decent-sized squad on the ground (for those of you who don't feel like wading through the posts, I said it earlier).

So...I leave with this...

RUUUNNNNN!!! GET TO THE WALKER!!!! (lol)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard