theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6720
I have noticed that when I downloaded and installed 2142 from the EA Downloader, that everytime I want to play the game, the downloader opens up and logs itself in automatically. This was not much of a problem because it used to do it quite fast.

Now the EA Downloader has been updated to this EA Link program. My problem now is though that when ever I load up my computer, EA Link always runs on start up and wants to connect to the internet before my internet connection is opened up. This causes a Dial Up connection box to keep flashing up and becomes very annoying. I have tried to stop it from loading up by going to the msconfig service but there is no mention of the EA Link program or the core.exe which is the process which runs.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop it from running? I have had a look on the EA Link program but it is not very clear on how to stop it from Auto Running or Auto Login.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6707

Start > Command > msconfig

Search for the EA Link in startup items. Reboot, and dun.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK

Bernadictus wrote:

and do what to it?
FrenziedAU
+6|6417|Australia
Try downloading startmgr.exe, which is a little program that shows you what programs are opening on startup and allows you to uncheck a box, thereby stopping them from opening.
I'll post a link to DL it soon (hopefully)

Edit: Found a DL link: here

Last edited by FrenziedAU (2006-11-02 02:46:10)

FathomsDown
+19|6621|England

theDude5B wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how to stop it from running? I have had a look on the EA Link program but it is not very clear on how to stop it from Auto Running or Auto Login.
I guess you just clicked "accept" to the licence agreement then?

The agreement you agreed to states that you must have your PC connected to the Internet whenever EA Link is running and that you grant EA the rights to monitor your use of all EA software and to have access to data on your computer. Oh, and it doesn't state which data they want or will use but it does add that they have the right to pass the data on to third parties.

Personally I'd uninstall EA Link and go back to the downloader.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6720

Bernadictus wrote:

Think you are still not reading posts properly man. To quote myself in my original post.

theDude5B wrote:

I have tried to stop it from loading up by going to the msconfig service but there is no mention of the EA Link program or the core.exe which is the process which runs.
@FrenziedAU - will give that a try thanks.

@ FathomsDown, yeah I usually just trust these sort of things, but guess in the future I will not trust EA to get things right because they seem to create things which just Bug the hell out of people!

Last edited by theDude5B (2006-11-02 02:55:05)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

Or better still, un-install EA Downloader... Its not like you need it for anything.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6640|The Netherlands
Or just use the option in EA link itself:
https://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1925/linkiw9.jpg
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6552|Eastern USA
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6552|Eastern USA
https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/SaladForks/EC5570.gif