I hate debate. Its the most pointless thing to do.1%1% - 1
Perm-Ban All debaters!5%5% - 3
Other.7%7% - 4
No opinion.7%7% - 4
Total: 56
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6653|Ohio
Well I know there are a few die-hard DASTers on the forum, but does it really make you feel good? I try to avoid them as much as possible, but sometimes I get sucked in off the main page, and it seems like it hurts my brain. I mean really, this is a site about a video game, is all this arguing and counterpointing healthy? Well I just wanted to question Seriously those who enjoy the debate, and those who do not. I'm not saying I want you to stop, just looking for meathod behind the madness. To quote Voltare, I disagree with everything you say but will fight to the death your right to say it.

Last edited by Paco_the_Insane (2006-11-01 16:55:56)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina
I'm a chronic mass debator.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America
Eh, it's meh.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
It's exercise for the mind.
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6666|Australia
I enjoy a good debate, but I like other things too. I usually just state my points with a bit of follow up. I dont usually get into a heated debate unless i have to defend my position if its argued against.

Also depends on the debate. I mean something like conflict in the middle east would attract a different type of response from a different type of debator when compared with a debate on Coke V Pepsi.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6453|The Land of Scott Walker
Debating is healthy.  Differing views are part of what makes life interesting.  If everyone had the same thought process, it'd be boring.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
I like starting threads to get people ebating a non main stream news item and to further instill my own point of view.
You'll notice there is a pattern to the threads I start in that they seek to discuss points of view I find important.
There are intelligent people here, as well as clowns and kids.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida
Interesting, but occasionally people including myself get extremely pissed off.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6560|UK

Stingray24 wrote:

Debating is healthy.  Differing views are part of what makes life interesting.  If everyone had the same thought process, it'd be boring.
No it wouldn't

;-)
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6730|Eastern PA
Law/academia is my chosen profession so it's always good to hone the rhetorical skills.

Last edited by Masques (2006-11-01 18:24:53)

Commie Killer
+192|6395
Its alright, I mean this could be better and its starting to get boring to me but...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85

CameronPoe wrote:

i just don't like it when it becomes an exercise for the voice.
Home
Section.80
+447|6855|Seattle, Washington, USA

I don't debate very often, but I do like reading through it.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6738|Uhh... erm...
Sometimes I put in my point of view, defend it for a bit. If I can't counter my opponent's argument, congrats to him. The point of debate is to put forth your opinions and observe the opinions of others.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6763|United States of America

ATG wrote:

as well as  kids.
If you want to call me that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I have an opinion, not an oppinion.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6549|Winterpeg, Canada
just to be an ass; you spelt strange wrong, or my display is a little shaken.

On topic now, the debates on this site can really teach us younger guys a lot, so i'd say they're a good thing, lots of opinions from around the world, and all the while we don't have to worry about being stalked by the guys we're talking to. (hopefully)
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6501|Connecticut
OOPS. I thought it was a poll for Defense and Special Teams. GO Patriots.
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6501|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

Im outta shape.
Malloy must go
IRONCHEF
+385|6499|Northern California
I like the critical thinking aspect.  I also like to see the "way" others debate because it's fun to adapt to someone's argument and watch them go away because of my sweet jedi mind powers.

Also, I was in a critical thinking class a few years ago and I made the poor argument against Bush and the teacher made me feel stupid because I couldn't substantiate my opinion that Bush was mentally retarded and that his war on terror was a war of aggression illegally waged on sovereign nations.  He ended up being wrong and I now take out the aggression I have towards this unlearned teacher on the good people of this message boards..and other message boards I've been on over the last few years.  So DAST is like therapy for me.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
I like it. It's greatly enhanced my knowledge and understanding of politics and current affairs. It's also taught me not to be big-headed (which is very easy for me, I assure you)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard