[FEAB]TheWeasel
+3|6458|UK
I still can only stay connected to EA master server for 5 minutes at a time. I have forwarded the correct ports (although the settings for the port range forwarding never seem to save) and still no joy.

Basically, having tried all I can think of, the only way I can play this game is by turning off the router firewall. Is there anything anyone can think of that will let me play a little less 'exposed'?

TIA
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
I have the exact same router and have not found a solution yet. I checked Linksys' website and could not find anything. I also performed a firmware upgrade to the latest and still it did not fix the problem. At this point I am at a lose too! I would love to know the fix for this.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK
Is the firewall on the router the only one you have? Could you not leave the router firewall disabled and use a software firewall?
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
Anyone know of a fix for this????
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
What software firewall are you referring to?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK
I dunno, whatever firewall comes with whatever internet security suite you're running. Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm. Do you have a software firewall?
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
I have Zone Alarm but it is not installed since I have the router set up.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK
Well try disabling the firewall onthe router and install zone alarm.

The firewall on my router is turned off and Norton handles the internet security. This seems to work fine for me and I've never had any intrusions.

Go on, give it a try..... you know you want to
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
Will give it a shot as soon as  get home from work. Thanks for the info. +1 to you!
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
Disabling the firewall did not resolve the issue. Any other settings such as MAC address filtering that need to be shut off. Alos I have the Linksys WRT54GL router not the WAG54G router. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by SFCCDailey (2006-11-01 14:55:40)

SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
After speaking to Linksys yesterday and setting up port forwarding for all required ports the problem is still there.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK
Sorry, I'm completely baffled now. If you have all the necessary ports open and no firewall blocking the path then it should work.

Have you disabled windows firewall as well? Just a thought, it may be on.
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
Yes, the Windows firewall is disabled. What's strange is that BF2, Special Forces, Armored Fury, and Euro Frces all work without error.
[FEAB]TheWeasel
+3|6458|UK
So what I have so far, is something pretty similar.
* With the router firewall on and the relevant ports open (regardless of my routers inability to store open port ranges) I can connect for 4 minutes and 59 seconds, then I lose connection to EA server. This appears to be related to the fact that 2142 needs outgoing ports open (for realtime unlock ability) which is the difference between 2142 and other BF games.

* With the router DMZ hosted, the result is the same.

* With the router firewall disabled, Windows firewall enabled, Norton anti-virus running as normal, all is fine (ONLY IF VOIP IS SET TO OFF IN GAME SETTINGS) and I can run around and get shot lots. So this is how I get round it at the moment. What I have also seen suggested is stuff like reducing the MTU level of your router from the auto setting of probably around 1500 to something like 1450.
The VOIP thing might be worth a go (credit to other dudes on these forums for most of these suggestions...)
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6436|Indianapolis, IN
If you have an old PC you can make a router based from NAT (network address translation) at little bit of work and some old PC parts you'll have a very very effective network router/firewall. If you're interested in some information like NAT rules I'll be more than willing to help you. This is the best/cheapest alternative I can think of, you could still have the wifi working behind the router as well.

This is if you're comfortable installing/tinkering with Linux/BSD.

Last edited by misconfiguration (2006-11-02 07:39:04)

SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
From my conversation with Linksys, when you turn the router's firewall off it shuts down the ports. I have my VOIP turned off in th game settings as well.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK

SFCCDailey wrote:

Yes, the Windows firewall is disabled. What's strange is that BF2, Special Forces, Armored Fury, and Euro Frces all work without error.
Hmmm, the other difference between BF2142 and BF2 is the advert feed. Does anyone know what port this coming in on and could that port being closed have this affect of shutting down 2142. I suppose it could be EA's way of making sure you can't block the ads.
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6756|USA
Well the port for the EA master server connection is 29900 and I have that port open. Since the message I'm getting is "Your connection to the EA master Server has been lost" I would have thought that port 29900 was the correct one.
dsouth
+5|6427
For the WRT54GL, there are some things to try:

- inital versions of the WRT54G hardware (now called the GL) would reboot under load.  The fix is to
  overclock the broadcomm chip to 216MHz.  New firmware should do this automagically.  [The resaon
  for the name change was that the new WRT54G runs different (non-Linux) firmware and can't use
  firmware for the older HW design.  Linksys continues to sell the old 45g design as the 54gl because it's a
  popular router for the embedded crowd).

- Other than the above, I've had good luck with the WRT54G/GL hardware after I reflashed the frimware
  with straight Linux.  If you're not a Unix type, the dd-wrt firmware looks most like the original linksys
  stuff:  http://www.dd-wrt.com
  Personally, I've used openwrt for a couple years.  Much less "point and clicky" -- In fact, I don't even
  run the web interface, configuration is done by SSHing to the hub and editing files.  If you're unix literate
  you'll be right at home.  http://openwrt.org/
  [This is basically the same as misconfigurations suggestion, execpt that the linksys HW is cheaper and
  more power efficient that an old PC.  But of course you won't be using hacked linksys for any heavy
  duty tasks.]
- YMMV, but I've usually found port-triggering to be more of a problem than a solution.  I just run
   vanilla NAT rules on the linksys (or other firewall/hub/ap) and then run Software firewalls on the
   linux/windows/mac systems in the lan and nothing special on PS/2 and Xbox360.  So two sets of
   firewalls, but no funky triggering.  In this config the windows firewall seems better (read:  less of
   a headache) than nort/ice/etc.  Most games seem to run fine without port triggering, including
   stuff like SOCOM and BF2.  [Plus, I do unix security as a job, so port-triggering scares me.     ]

Good luck,
Dale
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6587|Doncaster, UK
Do you get any anomolous ping spikes before you lose connection or is it always exactly at the same time?

You could try searching for threads here or elsewhere regarding the ad feed and find out whether it is coming in on a different port and if so enable that. I really don't know the answer, just throwing a few ideas out there.
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6688|I smell corners
I have the same rooter and the firewall is enabled and everything works fine since I got the full version, but with the demo I had the same problem you have now.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6436|Indianapolis, IN
Do you have port 29900 TCP AND UDP open?
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6429|New York
i've had a similar problem with a linksys router for the vonage voip. unfortunately i don't remember the model number. NAT and the firewall were not independent of one another and thus by shutting down the firewall i also disabled my ability to have multiple computers connected to the internet.

my solution probably won't do a damn bit of good for you; but i didn't need vonage anymore and cancelled the service. i went and got another linksys router (can't remember that model number either) and i haven't had problems since. surprisingly, i didn't need to change any of those settings in the new router to get bf2142 to work. it sucks a fat one the way bf2142 works in that certain routers have serious issues with that game and some don't.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
swingerhead
+0|6427
I have the Linksys WRT54G v6 running the latest DD-WRT micro.  I was playing the game fine until about a week ago.  Now I also cant keep the dang game online for long.  I have tried running a firewall on the computer and without.  I have reflashed the router also and reset to factory defaults.  I also notice that once I start getting slow responses in the game, if I exit, my internet is so dog slow that I cant even use it.  If I connect to another wireless router in the area, the internet is fine.  Ill try playing the game off the neighbors connection tonight to see if its a linksys hardware issue or not.
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6699|SLC, Utah, USA
What about that Windows Update we have to uninstall to play the game?  What are the symptoms of having that still installed?  Check to make sure that is not what's causing it also.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard