slicknic
+145|6624
I know some of y'all have probably already seen my video, but even in that 30 minutes of footage i could express everything i wanted to.  I took a rough outline from the video and added some to it.  Most of you probably don't need this at all.  But i know there are people out there that do.. so go tell em about it!

Don't fly low to the ground
  • only way to get hit by ground vehicle is by being near the ground
  • fav can only aim so high
  • if being shot by one (and you can see tracers)  try to get directly above them, until you can gather your composure.
  • if too far out from above them, you have to try your best to take them out, or duck behind something.
  • tanks are surprisingly accurate if your low to the ground, don't give em the chance to take you down. (don't fly low)
  • this also relates to being aware. 
what is the purpose of a heli
  • many people feel the need to capture flags - Bad, very few reasons to cap a flag
  • the longer you don't die the better, hovering in a spot is a bad thing to do
  • if you die, you will get camped by the chopper, infantry, and jets, dont go low.
  • even if your not just 'hovering' you aren't fully aware of surroundings, and still an easy target for any decent gunner.
  • trust me Ive been there.  i learn all this through experience ;p
  • its a whole lot harder to get back up than it is to not die in the first place
  • if you go below 75% health... id go back to repair, unless in immediate danger by something else
  • you need to be able to take one eryx w/o dieing at least... or even better 2 igla shots.
  • do not turn and run when in combat w/ another chopper unless you can get out of range of TV
  • if you are out of TVs, and they aren't, stand your ground and rocket/gun em down
  • if you are both out of TVs, you wont want to run straight, but you can backup while facing them and doge any rockets.
  • until you are out of range for certain, turn tail and run for dodge. (gtfo)
  • TV is the most effective weapon in bf2 at taking out armor
  • you can take out armor much easier w/ a chopper than infantry can
  • if you have a gunner (competent one!),  line em up for a TV shot on the tank, if they don't take it then feel free to take it out yourself
  • if multiple armor its up to you if you can reliably take them both out, if you mess up w/ rockets, don't get too focused and got shot down by a chopper.
  • don't get focused on one thing
  • say you know there's a chopper up Somewhere because its been some time since its died, and you see a sniper up on a crane, don't spend 20 seconds trying to kill him
  • if in one pass your Gunner doesn't take him down.. leave it at that, you have bigger fish to fry
  • same scenario but with a buggy or armor.  !Be aware! of the enemy choppers.  Even I have to fight the urge to chase down those pesky lil buggies
  • if hes not shooting at you, and there's a somewhat competent chopper up, go after the chopper
  • there are exceptions to the rule.. you know the chopper people are pure idiots, and that buggy has been harassing you (w/ gun turret) you may want to kill it first.
  • once all armor and choppers are down you can defend flags/ kill infantry, don't cap flags
  • always be watching for the next important target (tank, chopper, buggy) cant stress this enough. Awareness is KEY.
whenever in danger by anything
  • (tank,fav,AA)  first priority is to take care of that situation and get out of danger by any means possible
  • by any means possible i mean, kill the target, hide from it, or run. (depends on situation)
  • again stay high, this decreases the things that can hit you, and even if they can it'll be harder /less effective. and you can deal w/ the things in the air.
settings
  • geometry on high
  • low to high you can see twice as far.  I'm serious.
  • ever wonder why you can see tracer fire from a buggy or something, but not see the actual buggy?  its because their geometry is higher than yours
  • oh and of course turn up view max distance.
  • if its on high, you can see an enemy chopper before the TV missile is even in range.
  • this can lead into standoffs .. if your going against a decent chopper team
  • just remember they cant hit you if your not in range, don't let them get you in range if your not confident in your gunner.
  • good solo pilots will pull back before they shoot the TV, making them turn around... watch out for this.  they will probably be decent gunners too
  • most inexperience players will fall into the trap and go forward in order to be in range, meanwhile their TV is on the way, and even if you shoot the TV, they will be out of range- you just have to beat them at their own game and be patient.. or dodge/expect them to miss and be in range to hit them
  • effects on medium
  • very helpful in jet (can see an airstream)
  • helpful for rockets in chopper, can see air stream again, and adjust a little bit better
  • i find artillery/explosions can do a number on my system tho. 
  • if this is affecting fps too much ( you go below 30 at every explosion) id probably turn it off
awareness
  • just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there
  • look at your radar! you don't have to SEE it to know its there!
  • if you hear something being spotted, look for it on your radar.  even if you don't see it, take note of it,sometimes they don't show up.
  • constantly check all your views
  • when you get into a chopper what is the first thing you do
  • first make sure there's nothing around you (tank, sniper w/ m95, chopper).  if there is, figure out which is most dangerous- take it out asap. - if its a tank
  • if its un aware, tilt nose up for gunner to quickly TV (you don't have to be OFF the ground to TV, just a slight tilt)
  • if the tank is facing you, don't turn away, face it and rocket it as fast as you can.  try to be as 'skinny' as possible by facing it too.
  • you can also try to 'dodge' just by leaning to one side, and getting in the air asap. (remember to stay Above them once you get up)  They WILL shoot you down if you go too low, no reason for that ot happen.
  • if you get up and there is a chopper there also, the tank is now neutralized so long as you don't go down into their range,
  • take out the chopper, then go back to killing the tank.
  • if its a chopper and relatively close to the ground, you can lean your chopper back and your gunner can TV them.
  • i find many people try to kill me when I'm on pad, and i just TV em when they fly by like this.
  • take advantage of every moment.  When lifting off and you see no immediate danger, you should of course check for any armor/ choppers in area.
  • if not, shoot TV to where there could likely be something
  • on dalian, when your lifting off from reactor towers, I always line my gunner up (if I'm pilot), and if I'm gunner take a shoot at main entrance chopper. 
  • many times there's someone on the pad
  • there can be a chopper just starting up
  • a piece of armor in the general area
  • or a chopper repairing on the pad.
  • you should constantly be on look for the next target.
  • if your targeted by AA, i often flair, then change views so that i can best see where its coming from.  I then deal w/ it at my leisure (kill something else if i have to, while remaining hidden from it)
  • if you see a flag go grey, you can often tv over there immediately (once your in range) and spot anything there and take it out. 
  • I often randomly spot area, and if it says enemy spotted, i then know where to look. 
  • Sometimes dumbfireing (w/ minigun) is good enough if you know its a highly concentrated area.
  • max distance of a TV missile is 450 m
  • keep flags on
  • you will eventually be able to judge just by visualization
  • keep your minimap zoomed out so you can see the most of the map.  Often if something is spotted, and it isnt showing up on minimap. i will hit capslock to get a full map view to see what they are spotting
  • even if it doesnt show up, you can sometimes see which person is targeting (their lil dot will blink on the minimap) so you can tell the general area they are looking at targeting.
  • if your in a duel against another chopper, DODGE.  if you suspect, or see the enemy shooting a tv, learn to move atleast some to make it more difficult.  And also trry to line your gunner up, doing wild flips constantly helps no one, if your gunner cant ever get a decent shot.
  • in relation to that.. if your pilot isnt directly lining you up, but you know an enemy is somewhere within reach, dont be afraid to 'bend' the tv to hit it (even if its out of view at the time)  this is the only way you will survive w/ inexperienced pilots.  And even w/ experienced ones, sometimes they have to dodge multiple targets and can only give you so much of a shot.
  • Use your minimap!
  • Also remember to keep it zoomed out so you can see as much as possible, i believe i have to press 'n' to make it zoom out.
  • Awareness is Huge (this is also why its important for high geometry).   
using the TV (not very detailed)
  • don't over-click
  • when you click so much that you get a lost control feeling, you clicked too much
  • only a few clicks will do, it will hit where you click, so guess where your target will be in the next few moments
  • hit the tail rotor on choppers, probably heard this many times, it generally works
  • sometimes its just practice, figuring out where the real hit-box is.
  • on fast moving vehicles, you will hit behind them, i don't know how  many buggies I missed until i realized how far back i had to hit them
Using the minigun
  • First, as a pilot, you never want to stay still.  Circle around a given area at a good distance.
  • If you see a target you can circle around it somewhat specifically, often if i find the gunner is not noticing it, i will shoot a rocket in its general direction, or spot it.
  • dont stop or slow down hoping to give your gunner a better shot, the more consistant and steady you are, the better the chance for the gunner to judge where to shoot.  if an enemy eryx hits you, your too close.  If you stop or slow down you will get hit more likely and make it harder for yoru gunner to hit their target
  • If your constant, your gunner can easily hit their targets if they know what they are doing
  • When your trying to use the minigun, burst, and sort of 'wave' your gun around.  Dont try to hit them directly.  spread your fire by spraying the general area the enemy is.
  • Only hold for one or 2 seconds, even if you think your about to get them, just pause for a second, re-aim and burst again.
  • Try to always look where the chopper is looking.  Dont spend too long of a time on one target, often the pilot is lining you up for another one and your stuck on one infantry, when there a vodnik infront of you shooting you.
  • if your piloting and notice the gunner shooting/looking/spotting to the right (you can tell which way they are looking w/ the hud) then circle around in that direction so he can get a better shot.  This is of course if there is not a more important target.
  • when your pilot is circling you want to kind of aim Behind where your target is, again just takes a little practice to realize this
  • Whenever your shooting at Anything w/ the minigun if you do not see 'x' 's appear then you are NOT hitting your target, even if you see smoke/sparks.  adjust your aiming until you see x's, thats all that matters( this goes for infantry too).

I may add things as i think of them.. if you have a good addition i may added it so tell me what you think.

sry for how it looks... things got shifted.. ill try to fix it as best i can.

When being a good pilot, you have to view things much differently than if your infantry.  You have to have a much more 'overview' view to things.
You have to know about all the armor pieces, choppers and jets all over the map.  You can quickly reach many of the flags before any of your teamates can.
  keep this in mind when your tempted to chase after a buggy

thanks to simon for teh colorizing +1

Last edited by slicknic (2006-11-12 00:20:02)

Simon
basically
+838|6656|UK
I don't agree with everything there, but mainly its good stuff, try coloring it to make it easier to read.
_-_911_-_180891
+540|6501|Shanghai, ethnicity=German

slicknic wrote:

I know some of yall have probably already seen my video, but even in that 30 minutes of footage i could express everything i wanted to.  I took a rough outline from the video and added some to it.  Most of you probably dont need this at all.  But i know there are people out there that do.. so go tell em about it!

Dont fly low to the ground
- only way to get hit by ground vehicle is by being near the ground
   - fav can only aim so high
     - if being shot by one (and you can see tracers)  try to get directly above them, until you can gather your compsure.
       - if too far out from above them, you have to try your best to take them out, or duck behind something.
   - tanks are surprisingly accurage if your low to the ground, dont give em the chance to take you down. (dont fly low)
       - this also relates to being aware. 

- many people feel the need to capture flags - Bad, very few reasons to cap a flag
      - the longer you dont die the better, hovering in a spot is a bad thing to do
      - if you die, you will get camped by the chopper, infantry, and jets, dont die
      - even if your not just 'hovering' you arent fully aware of surroundings, and still an easy target for any decent gunner.
         - trust me ive been there.  i learn all this through experience ;p
      -its a whole lot harder to get back up than it is to not die in the first place
      -if you go below 75% health... id go back to repair, unless in immediate danger by something else
         -do not turn and run when in combat w/ another chopper unless you can get out of range of tv
             - if you are out of tvs, and they arent, stand your ground and rocket/gun em down
             - if you are both out of tvs, you wont want to run straight, but you can backup while facing them and
               doge any rockets.
        - until you are out of range for certain, turn tail and run for dodge. (gtfo)
      - Tv is the most effective weapon in bf2 at taking out armor
         - you can take out armor much easier w/ a chopper than infantry can
     - if you have a gunner (competent one!),  line em up for a tv shot on the tank, if they dont take it then
            feel free to take it out yourself
         - if multiple armor its up to you if you can reliably take them both out, if you mess up w/ rockets,
               dont get too focused and got shot down by a chopper.
  - dont get focused on one thing
     - say you know theres a chopper up Somewhere because its been some time since its died,
        and you see a sniper up on a crane, dont spend 20 seconds trying to kill him
    - if in one pass your gunenr doesnt take him down.. leave it at that, you have bigger fish to fry
     - same scendario but with a buggy or armor.  !Be aware! of the enemy choppers.  Even I have to fight the
        urge to chase down those pesky lil buggies
    - if hes not shooting at you, and theres a somewhat competent chopper up, go after the chopper
       - there are exceptions to the rule.. you know the chopper people are pure idiots, and that buggy has
              been harassing you (w/ gun turret) you may want to kill it first.
  - once all armor and choppers are down you can defend flags/ kill infantry, dont cap flags
     - always be watching for the next important target (tank, chopper, buggy) cant stress this enough. 
        Awareness is KEY.

whenever in danager by anything
  - (tank,fav,aa)  first priority is to take care of that situation and get out of danger by any means possible
     - by any means possible i mean, kill the target, hide from it, or run. (depends on situation)
        - again stay high, this decreases the things that can hit you, and even if they can itll be harder /less
          effective. and you can deal w/ the things in the air.

settings
  - geometry on high
     - low to high you can see twice as far.  im serious.
     - ever wonder why you can see tracer fire from a buggy or something, but not see the actual buggy?  its
        because their geometry is higher than yours
     - oh and of course turn up view max distance.
        - if its on high, you can see an enemy chopper before the tv missle is even in range.
           - this can lead into standoffs .. if your going against a decent chopper team
           - just remember they cant hit you if your not in range, dont let them get you in range if your not
             confident in your gunner.
       - good solo pilots will pull back before they shoot the tv, making them turn around... watch out for
              this.  they will probably be decent gunners too
        - most unexperience players will fall into the trap and go forward in order to be in range,
                   meanwhile their tv is on the way, and even if you shoot the tv, they will be out of range
        - you just have to beat them at their own game and be patient.. or dodge/expect them to miss and
                   be in range to hit them
  - effects on medium
     - very helpful in jet (can see an airstream)
     - helpful for rockets in chopper, can see air stream again, and adjust a little bit better
     - i find artillery/explosions can do a number on my system tho. 
     - if this is affecting fps too much ( you go below 30 at every explosion) id probably turn it off

awareness
  - just because you dont see it doesnt mean its not there
  - look at your radar! you dont have to SEE it to know its there!
     - if you hear something being spotted, look for it on your radar.  even if you dont see it, take note of it,
       sometimes they dont show up.
  - constantly check all your views
  - when you get into a chopper what is the first thing you do
     - first make sure theres nothing around you (tank, sniper w/ m95, chopper).  if there is, figure out which is
       most dangerous
        - take it out asap.
       - if its a tank
          - if its un aware, tilt nose up for gunner to quickly tv (you dont have to be OFF the ground to tv, just
                a slight tilt)
          - if the tank is facing you, dont turn away, face it and rocket it as fast as you can.  try to be as
                'skinny' as possible by facing it too.
          - you can also try to 'dodge' just by leaning to one side, and getting in the air asap. (remember to
                 stay Above them once you get up)  They WILL shoot you down if you go too low, no reason for
                 that ot happen.
          - if you get up and there is a chopper there also, the tank is now neutralized so long as you dont go
                down into their range,
         - take out the chopper, then go back to killing the tank.
       - if its a chopper and relatively close to the grounnd, you can lean your chopper back and your gunner
             can tv them.
          - i find many people try to kill me when im on pad, and i just tv em when they fly by like this.
     - take advantage of every moment.  When lifting off and you see no immediate danger, you should of
        course check for any armor/ choppers in area.
     - if not, shoot tv to where there could likely be something
    - on dalian, when your lifting off from reactor towers, I always line my gunner up (if im pilot), and if im
          gunner take a shoot at main entrance chopper. 
       - many times theres someone on the pad
       - there can be a chopper just tarting up
       - a piece of armor in the general area
       - or a chopper repairing on the pad.
   - you should constantly be on look for the next target.
   - if your targeted by aa, i often flair, then change views so that i can best see where its coming from.  I
      then deal w/ it at my leasure (kill something else if i have to, while remaining hidden from it)

max distance of a tv missle is 450 m
  - keep flags on
  - you will eventually be able to judge just by visualization

using the tv (not very detailed)
  - dont over-click
     - when you click so much that you get a lost control feeling, you clicked too much
  - only a few clicks will do, it will hit where you click, so guess where your target will be in the next few
    moments
  - hit the tailrotor on choppers, probably heard this many times, it generally works
  - sometimes its just practice, figuring out where the real hitbox is.
  - on fast moving vehicles, you will hit behind them, i dont know how  many buggies I missed until i realized
     how far back i had to hit them

I may add things as i think of them.. if you have a good addition i may added it so tell me what you think.

I love it
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6543
Good post. +1
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

Simon wrote:

I don't agree with everything there, but mainly its good stuff, try coloring it to make it easier to read.
colors!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Simon
basically
+838|6656|UK
I know some of y'all have probably already seen my video, but even in that 30 minutes of footage i could express everything i wanted to.  I took a rough outline from the video and added some to it.  Most of you probably don't need this at all.  But i know there are people out there that do.. so go tell em about it!

Don't fly low to the ground
- only way to get hit by ground vehicle is by being near the ground
- fav can only aim so high
- if being shot by one (and you can see tracers)  try to get directly above them, until you can gather your composure.
- if too far out from above them, you have to try your best to take them out, or duck behind something.
- tanks are surprisingly accurate if your low to the ground, don't give em the chance to take you down. (don't fly low)
- this also relates to being aware. 

- many people feel the need to capture flags - Bad, very few reasons to cap a flag
- the longer you don't die the better, hovering in a spot is a bad thing to do
- if you die, you will get camped by the chopper, infantry, and jets, dont go low.
- even if your not just 'hovering' you aren't fully aware of surroundings, and still an easy target for any decent gunner.
- trust me Ive been there.  i learn all this through experience ;p
-its a whole lot harder to get back up than it is to not die in the first place
-if you go below 75% health... id go back to repair, unless in immediate danger by something else
-do not turn and run when in combat w/ another chopper unless you can get out of range of TV
- if you are out of TVs, and they aren't, stand your ground and rocket/gun em down
- if you are both out of TVs, you wont want to run straight, but you can backup while facing them and doge any rockets.
- until you are out of range for certain, turn tail and run for dodge. (gtfo)
- TV is the most effective weapon in bf2 at taking out armor
- you can take out armor much easier w/ a chopper than infantry can
- if you have a gunner (competent one!),  line em up for a TV shot on the tank, if they don't take it then

feel free to take it out yourself

- if multiple armor its up to you if you can reliably take them both out, if you mess up w/ rockets, don't get too focused and got shot down by a chopper.
- don't get focused on one thing
- say you know there's a chopper up Somewhere because its been some time since its died, and you see a sniper up on a crane, don't spend 20 seconds trying to kill him
- if in one pass your Gunner doesn't take him down.. leave it at that, you have bigger fish to fry
- same scenario but with a buggy or armor.  !Be aware! of the enemy choppers.  Even I have to fight the urge to chase down those pesky lil buggies
- if hes not shooting at you, and there's a somewhat competent chopper up, go after the chopper
- there are exceptions to the rule.. you know the chopper people are pure idiots, and that buggy has been harassing you (w/ gun turret) you may want to kill it first.
- once all armor and choppers are down you can defend flags/ kill infantry, don't cap flags
- always be watching for the next important target (tank, chopper, buggy) cant stress this enough. Awareness is KEY.

whenever in danger by anything

- (tank,fav,AA)  first priority is to take care of that situation and get out of danger by any means possible
- by any means possible i mean, kill the target, hide from it, or run. (depends on situation)
- again stay high, this decreases the things that can hit you, and even if they can it'll be harder /less effective. and you can deal w/ the things in the air.

settings

- geometry on high
- low to high you can see twice as far.  I'm serious.
- ever wonder why you can see tracer fire from a buggy or something, but not see the actual buggy?  its because their geometry is higher than yours
- oh and of course turn up view max distance.
- if its on high, you can see an enemy chopper before the TV missile is even in range.
- this can lead into standoffs .. if your going against a decent chopper team
- just remember they cant hit you if your not in range, don't let them get you in range if your not confident in your gunner.
- good solo pilots will pull back before they shoot the TV, making them turn around... watch out for this.  they will probably be decent gunners too
- most inexperience players will fall into the trap and go forward in order to be in range, meanwhile their TV is on the way, and even if you shoot the TV, they will be out of range- you just have to beat them at their own game and be patient.. or dodge/expect them to miss and

be in range to hit them

- effects on medium
- very helpful in jet (can see an airstream)
- helpful for rockets in chopper, can see air stream again, and adjust a little bit better
- i find artillery/explosions can do a number on my system tho. 
- if this is affecting fps too much ( you go below 30 at every explosion) id probably turn it off

awareness

- just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there
- look at your radar! you don't have to SEE it to know its there!
- if you hear something being spotted, look for it on your radar.  even if you don't see it, take note of it,sometimes they don't show up.
- constantly check all your views
- when you get into a chopper what is the first thing you do
- first make sure there's nothing around you (tank, sniper w/ m95, chopper).  if there is, figure out which is most dangerous- take it out asap. - if its a tank
- if its un aware, tilt nose up for gunner to quickly TV (you don't have to be OFF the ground to TV, just a slight tilt)
- if the tank is facing you, don't turn away, face it and rocket it as fast as you can.  try to be as 'skinny' as possible by facing it too.
- you can also try to 'dodge' just by leaning to one side, and getting in the air asap. (remember to stay Above them once you get up)  They WILL shoot you down if you go too low, no reason for that ot happen.
- if you get up and there is a chopper there also, the tank is now neutralized so long as you don't go down into their range,
- take out the chopper, then go back to killing the tank.
- if its a chopper and relatively close to the ground, you can lean your chopper back and your gunner can TV them.
- i find many people try to kill me when I'm on pad, and i just TV em when they fly by like this.
- take advantage of every moment.  When lifting off and you see no immediate danger, you should of course check for any armor/ choppers in area.
- if not, shoot TV to where there could likely be something
- on dalian, when your lifting off from reactor towers, I always line my gunner up (if I'm pilot), and if I'm gunner take a shoot at main entrance chopper. 
- many times there's someone on the pad
- there can be a chopper just starting up
- a piece of armor in the general area
- or a chopper repairing on the pad.
- you should constantly be on look for the next target.
- if your targeted by AA, i often flair, then change views so that i can best see where its coming from.  I then deal w/ it at my leisure (kill something else if i have to, while remaining hidden from it)

max distance of a TV missile is 450 m

- keep flags on
- you will eventually be able to judge just by visualization

using the TV (not very detailed)
- don't over-click
- when you click so much that you get a lost control feeling, you clicked too much
- only a few clicks will do, it will hit where you click, so guess where your target will be in the next few moments
- hit the tail rotor on choppers, probably heard this many times, it generally works
- sometimes its just practice, figuring out where the real hit-box is.
- on fast moving vehicles, you will hit behind them, i don't know how  many buggies I missed until i realized how far back i had to hit them

GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6761

If I may, I have some suggestions for TV section.

The reason people feel the need to click so much is because your ping affects how long the rocket takes to react. Try the TV missile on a local server and you'll see that it changes the instant that you click on the screen. This makes for SUPER easy TV missile kills. One shot that's very hard to do when you have high ping is an around the corner, or drop from the roof (when a tank's behind a building for example). Not too bad in a local server with bots though.

When you click, the game does register your click, but it takes the server a bit of time to update it all. One click is enough to get the missile to go where you want, but a few clicks might be better since odds are you won't aim perfectly each time.

To compensate, you should click a little bit before you want the missile to turn. Meaning, the quicker your rocket is on it's right course, the higher the odds of a kill. If you have to turn at the end to hit the target, lots of lag related issues can occur and you can miss.

Additionally, you have to compensate for your enemies ping. This is why it is VERY hard to hit a moving buggy with a TV missile, or even with the guns for that matter. The car isn't really where you think it is, and the TV is taking it's time to react.

Sometimes you'll miss inexplicably, like when you hit a chopper dead-on the canopy yet the hit doesn't register. You might think that's cause of what I'm talking about... but it's not. It's cause BF2 code sucks sometimes, and you can do everything right but you'll still miss. Call the other chopper pilots hackers and you'll feel better.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-10-25 04:44:54)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6739

Rofl, calling the other team names solves everything.........
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6557|The real world

Simon wrote:

I don't agree with everything there
slicknic
+145|6624
this is where you tell me what you dont agree w/

holy crap theres a while "Techniques, Strategies, and Guides" section on the forum... admins feel free to move this there (i cant can i?)

Last edited by slicknic (2006-10-25 06:02:06)

Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6704|Alaska
i agree with all the things you said, i fly a lot too, and sometimes when i have have a pilot, he goes low and tries to capture a flag, which really annoys me
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645
Not bad, but I disagree with the tv'ing. I rarely use two or three clicks. I pretty much click spam. Although I wouldn't suggest clicking a lot till you get good at tv'ing in general.
EvilJebus
+11|6623
I don't agree with your "Don't fly low" section. Flying low sometimes gives you a lot more options than being high up, and it can usually save you. Being low to the ground provides a lot more cover against things like AA and jets. A plane can't chase you between trees and AA can't keep a lock on you. As long as you're aware of things like transports and armors on the ground they probably won't get the jump on you, AND being lower to the ground makes it easier to hit these targets, and makes the pilots missiles much more effective, and gives the gunner easier shots.

Everything else seems like good advice though, I just think your altitude should be dependent on the situation.

Last edited by EvilJebus (2006-10-25 08:13:24)

slicknic
+145|6624

EvilJebus wrote:

I don't agree with your "Don't fly low" section. Flying low sometimes gives you a lot more options than being high up, and it can usually save you. Being low to the ground provides a lot more cover against things like AA and jets. A plane can't chase you between trees and AA can't keep a lock on you. As long as you're aware of things like transports and armors on the ground they probably won't get the jump on you, AND being lower to the ground makes it easier to hit these targets, and makes the pilots missiles much more effective, and gives the gunner easier shots.

Everything else seems like good advice though, I just think your altitude should be dependent on the situation.
it does depend on some situations.. but the ones you described above do not warrant flying low. 

yes, jets can and will target you when your low. actually a decent jet wont use missles.. but then honestly against a good jet theres just about nothing you can do.
your actually decreasing the ability of your gunner to shoot (he cant curve That much)  Pilots that fly low and fast allow for no help from the gunner.  You shouldnt primarily take out armor w/ rockets, thats the gunners job.  you really shouldnt use rockets often at all. 

Being on the ground maybe makes it Slightly easier to hit the enmey.. while being on the ground also Greatly increases the chance for enemy to hit you.   Only time id go low is to get out of view of a jet, and pretty much hide for a second... or perhaps to duck for cover for a second and get back to a pad.  you do not want to stay down there.

I was the same way as you.   Until i played competitively.  Then i died repeatedly to vodnik/ eryx fire.  Anyone w/ any skill will take you out..  i do it ALL the time to people flying low.

Last edited by slicknic (2006-10-25 09:24:29)

Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6604|Parainen, Finland
Bravo man, I´m with you, this is something every N00b pilot should read!!!!

Of course expert pilots do their own shit, cause they know what they do!!!!

+1 for the effort!!!!
CloakedStarship
+76|6563

slicknic wrote:

don't get focused on one thing
Target fixation can ruin anybodys day.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6529
I would only dissagree with your flying low theory. Quite on the contrary you can be seen by a lot more people the higher you are. The close to the ground you hug and the lower you fly the less people will see you in rough terrain. If you are high up you will attract bullets from everything especially AA.
slicknic
+145|6624

ShadowFoX wrote:

I would only dissagree with your flying low theory. Quite on the contrary you can be seen by a lot more people the higher you are. The close to the ground you hug and the lower you fly the less people will see you in rough terrain. If you are high up you will attract bullets from everything especially AA.
your treating the chopper all wrong.  if your at an altitude of 150, who cares if enemies on the ground can see you, they cant hit you.  but you can sure hit them.  if they are in AA's you just have to be competent first to know which aa's your in range of and flair/ take em out and then repair if you have to (if your at full health, it wont kill you).  Case and point.. if your aware this is not a problem.

being high lets you more easily dodge other choppers, and get across the map much faster.  If your low, your gunner is stuck looking at the ground, and even if he sees something you dont, he cant spot it or tv it.  Its one of the most frustrating things ever.  If you are low you cannot dodge chopper tv's, if you do not dodge.. you die.

just take my word on this.   I have 200+ hours flying in pubs and countless hours in competively matches/practice.  I dont say this just for the fun of it.  You are much more effective up high in the air.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645

slicknic wrote:

ShadowFoX wrote:

your treating the chopper all wrong.  if your at an altitude of 150, who cares if enemies on the ground can see you, they cant hit you.  but you can sure hit them.  if they are in AA's you just have to be competent first to know which aa's your in range of and flair/ take em out and then repair if you have to (if your at full health, it wont kill you).  Case and point.. if your aware this is not a problem.

being high lets you more easily dodge other choppers, and get across the map much faster.  If your low, your gunner is stuck looking at the ground, and even if he sees something you dont, he cant spot it or tv it.  Its one of the most frustrating things ever.  If you are low you cannot dodge chopper tv's, if you do not dodge.. you die.

just take my word on this.   I have 200+ hours flying in pubs and countless hours in competively matches/practice.  I dont say this just for the fun of it.  You are much more effective up high in the air.
Yeah, flying low is like entering stupid mode.
slicknic
+145|6624
its a hard case to argue to people that dont fully understand how to use a chopper.  I used to fly low-ish/ cap flags... and believed in that.. until i got my shit pushed in by decent players repeatedly in competitive play.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6452|USA
pfft, who says you cant do a barrel roll an inch off the ground...
Simon
basically
+838|6656|UK

elite.mafia wrote:

pfft, who says you cant do a barrel roll an inch off the ground...
Its fun to barrel roll like 20ft up

But Slick is a good pilot/gunner but every pilot has their own ways of doing the job right It all depends on which map your on really if your going to fly low or not, and how far spaced out the flags are

But it is a good guide
petropete
+13|6405|Texas
Very nice +1
switchbladezz
+48|6616
the one thing that i disagree with is how you should never fly low. I usually fly high, but when i feel the need to i go down low and use buildings trees and hills to dodge the missle. my theory is the i never have to dodge if i keep out of range or a building in between me and my oponent.
slicknic
+145|6624

switchbladezz wrote:

the one thing that i disagree with is how you should never fly low. I usually fly high, but when i feel the need to i go down low and use buildings trees and hills to dodge the missle. my theory is the i never have to dodge if i keep out of range or a building in between me and my oponent.
well.. you dont Never go down low... you just do not fly low ALL TIME TIME.  but honestly ur going to use buildings and trees to dodge tv's? lol... sry but trees arent going to sotp me... it deepnds on what buildings you use.  Ive used hte Silos on dalian effectively.. but then again im still up high in the air.  Going next to the ground wont stop me from tving you tho, plus itll be very hard for u to get a clear shot on me (directly over you by that point)  and your in easy range of eryx/fav/tank fire.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard