Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6753|United States of America
Well, this is mildy confusing to me.  But, ever since I started going to a public High School this year, it seems nearly everyone has a D average.  I think it's sad to see this as I am an all A student with a 4.0 right now.  I even have been going to a class just to watch what goes on.  In Algebra I have noticed, texting, sleeping, and talking is a favorite of students, and well, that goes for all classes.  In a program called AVID, your grades decide how much tutoring you get after school... I have 0 hours due for this week, though most students have on average about 2 hours due.  And some even have 7 hours due.  The way they tutor you is like this: A's and B's owe no time, C's owe thirty minutes, D's and F's an hour.  I think it is kind of sad to see all this crap in the public system... as my private school, most everyone was above 3.0, but it's just pathetic now.  There is one kid constantly goofing around, and when he says something trying to be funny or look smart, I will just blatantly say, "Your grades are showing otherwise." He'll get pissed and I will laugh.  The only reason he has an A in his science class is because, he cheats off of my test.  Though I have recently moved during two tests.  My grades were 96% and 94% on those, his were 73% and 77%.  Big difference.  Does anyone have any opinions on why we have such idiots in school now?

Last edited by Miller (2006-10-24 20:55:37)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Gradewhore. Sorry, just had to.
liquix
+51|6451|Peoples Republic of Portland
damn those social lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Seriously, though, part of it's media-induced popularity of stupidity and the opinion that 'school sucks,' and part of it's poor parents of the sort that doesn't pay any heed to the education of their kids. Getting A's and having a social life are completely compatible...depending on who you want to be friends with.

liquix wrote:

damn those social lives.
Friends in high school are generally not maintained through adulthood, whereas a proper education can lead to a high-paying job, and all sorts of opportunities to indulge in more permanent, expensively fun-filled friendships.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-24 21:22:45)

maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6418|Melbourne, AUS

liquix wrote:

damn those social lives.
Having a social life doesn't make lowering the academic average in the public system ok...

social life + work (and IQ) = happy chappy
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6575|Florida
I have an opinion.  Parents of the current generation dont really seem to care.  I see young kids in stores screaming their brains out because their parent didnt buy something for them.  The parent just ignores them, thinking that ingoring them will cause them to go away.  If I pulled shit like that, I got my ass spanked.  But these days, spanking is "abuse" and isnt right in many peoples eyes.  Believe me, when I have kids, they will be spanked.  I hate to say it, but they will probably be some of the best behaved and best kids around compared to the ones they will be around.  Another issue is, kids in your generation, the 14-18 range, dont care enough themselves.  I have no idea why, apparently the majority of them would rather fail at school, thus failing at life, and work dead end jobs and live in the small town they grew up in for the rest of their lives.  I see this every day where I live.  I am 21, I see people at Wal-Mart, the gas station, Walgreens or wherever that went to my highschool and were a couple years ahead of me.  I see them, and think to myself "wow, that guy has done alot with his life....didnt go to college, hes 24, still lives with his parents, works at a warehouse making $9 an hour".  People dont realize where they are headed if they dont atleast get a diploma from high school, or even try to better themselves after that.  Just seems people dont care enough....but then again, why should they, they can live for free with their parents for the rest of their lives and not have to do shit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

If any high school student is planning to get into the military, take JROTC. They teach useful stuff, and recruiters love that shit. Even if a military career isn't planned, it's still cool. I got to sit and listen to a ton of info about management, psychology, economics, war history, flight history, aerodynamics and navigation. Of course, it helped that there were over a hundred (~350 by the time I graduated) of us at high school, minimizing our vulnerability as "potential victims."

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

Another issue is, kids in your generation, the 14-18 range, dont care enough themselves.  I have no idea why, apparently the majority of them would rather fail at school, thus failing at life, and work dead end jobs and live in the small town they grew up in for the rest of their lives.
Also, part of it's the weight of the bitter, snobbish older generation bearing down on them, continually telling them time and time again that "working at dead end jobs" is all that they'll ever be good at.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-24 21:30:09)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6711|US
Get into the honors/AP track levels in your school.  The students there will probably be a lot better.  My school was on the NCLB academic watch list, but we still had students go to Stanford, Princeton, and other top schools.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6575|Florida

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Another issue is, kids in your generation, the 14-18 range, dont care enough themselves.  I have no idea why, apparently the majority of them would rather fail at school, thus failing at life, and work dead end jobs and live in the small town they grew up in for the rest of their lives.
Also, part of it's the weight of the bitter, snobbish older generation bearing down on them, continually telling them time and time again that "working at dead end jobs" is all that they'll ever be good at.
That is all they will ever be good at, if they dont try to do anything else.  If they are happy with it...so be it.  But if they just drop out of high school, or if they do graduate, and dont try to do anything with their life.  I look at it as their fault.

They get no sympathy from me for not trying.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If any high school student is planning to get into the military, take JROTC.
I would have loved if my high school offered a JROTC program.

Last edited by {BMF}*Frank_The_Tank (2006-10-24 21:34:21)

Jello.01
+46|6605|DFW, Texas

RAIMIUS wrote:

Get into the honors/AP track levels in your school.  The students there will probably be a lot better. My school was on the NCLB academic watch list, but we still had students go to Stanford, Princeton, and other top schools.
What I was going to say, I just don't know if that strikethrough applys to my school... You know, the one that was on the news for a day about the stupid dress code changes...
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
lotta kids figure they got it made and don't have to work.

Me, I got kicked out of ninth grade...and never went back.
I've been working full time since I was fifteen.

I was in gifted classes through 5th grade, and sorta discovered marijuanna and being in a rock band.

My dad said to me " well, if your not gonna go to school you've got to get a job and pay 25% of your take home pay in rent.

It worked out good for me as I have a great career and own my own business.

But the days of growing up and going into the trades are dying, as there are too many illegal aliens doing work for next to nothing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

They get no sympathy from me for not trying.
Nor from me. What they do get from me, however, is my pity. Pity for not being raised by parents who care and/or lack of motivation or even ability to improve themselves. Frivolous prescriptions aren't helping much, either. What would help, however, is for society to forgo the snide assumptions about a future generation's capabilities, and show a bit of faith and responsibility.
eyesteponbabies
Banned
+13|6428|St.Louis, Missouri
I hardly went to high school. I was constantly skipping and smoking weed with friends throughout softmore and junior years. Somehow, I did graduate highschool and went to college. Now I'm half way done with college and I'm currently looking for a Law Enforcement job. My point is: stay in school and don't make the mistake like me and skip. My grades showed it. Kids before the year 2002 were wild. Now, they are just plain dumb. Maybe it's the amount of people at school who are influenced by television and the current society's way of providing an unusual description of school as being a waste of time and boring. Ignore the stupid kids and do your thing: study. Your grades will pay off in the future, trust me.
Chou
+737|6788

maffiaw wrote:

liquix wrote:

damn those social lives.
Having a social life doesn't make lowering the academic average in the public system ok...

social life + work (and IQ) = happy chappy
No, MTV does that.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6558
Probably because there are so many Americans in your class.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina
Privatize education.  It's that simple.  Public systems are usually relegated to insufficient funding, inconsistent curriculums, and massive amounts of bureaucracy.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6567|Portland, OR, USA

RAIMIUS wrote:

Get into the honors/AP track levels in your school.  The students there will probably be a lot better.  My school was on the NCLB academic watch list, but we still had students go to Stanford, Princeton, and other top schools.
I'd agree with this guy.  I'm taking higher level classes and the maturity level is much greater.  It also depends on where you go to school though... some kids just don't care, which I guess is okay, just don't come bitching to me because you failed life...
jonsimon
+224|6492
If you're an A student, opt for AP. If others don't succeed, don't be a prick and make fun of them for it. That said, part of the quality of the education and the school is dependent upon your district. Also, assuming we work with a bell curve, most of the school should only have Cs anyway.

Do well in school and look out for yourself, but don't neglect a healthy social life, and don't let it go to your head.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6442|The Land of Scott Walker
"Hey kids, welcome to science class.  The one thing I want to impress upon you it that you're the product of an accident.  There was a massive explosion of matter that no one put there and it travelled at millions of miles per hour and eventually slowed down and formed planets.  On one of those tiny planets, you came from a one-celled organism that appeared out of nowhere by chance and by some stroke of evolutionary luck, happened to divide and live.  Somewhere along the way it grew a tail and swam around in the primordial soup for awhile.  Then it decided it needed legs because there was some interesting land that somehow got there.  After that it crawled up on land and by sheer mental energy evolved to a monkey, then the monkey shaved and now we have humans like us!  *brrrrriiiiiing* Oh, that's the bell, now head down the hall to Self-Esteem class.  And remember, no one created you, you're an accident and your life is meaningless."

Now there's some motivation for life.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2006-10-25 19:21:04)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
"Your grades are showing otherwise" lol, best comeback ever. 

jonsimon wrote:

If you're an A student, opt for AP. If others don't succeed, don't be a prick and make fun of them for it.
qfe
jonsimon
+224|6492

Stingray24 wrote:

"Hey kids, welcome to science class.  The one thing I want to impress upon you it that you're the product of an accident.  There was a massive explosion..."
"...called premature ejaculation."
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

"Hey kids, welcome to science class.  The one thing I want to impress upon you it that you're the product of an accident.  There was a massive explosion of matter that no one put there and it travelled at millions of miles per hour and eventually slowed down and formed planets.  On one of those tiny planets, you came from a one-celled organism that appeared out of nowhere by chance and by some stroke of evolutionary luck, happened to divide and live.  Somewhere along the way it grew a tail and swam around in the primordial soup for awhile.  Then it decided it needed legs because there was some interesting land that somehow got there.  After that it crawled up on land and by sheer mental energy evolved to a monkey, then the monkey shaved and now we have humans like us!  *brrrrriiiiiing* Oh, that's the bell, now head down the hall to Self-Esteem class.  And remember, no one created you, you're an accident and your life is meaningless."

That's the way you hear it, because you obviously aren't listening well enough.  You don't seriously accept the possibility that we are meaningless, so therefore you reject it and instead post what you think it is, in an attempt to convince other more open-minded people that schools and evolution are full of bull.  I remember in Shipbuilders "I'm sorry for being a jerk" thread you said that sergeriver shouldn't be speaking for conservatives.  Well, Mr. Wiseass, you might want to consider tasting some of your own medicine.

In all honesty, religion sounds more stupid by itself, people don't need to make fun of it.  "Welcome kids, and today we'll be teaching you that you are all children of god, and that only god lets Christians into heaven, because he created the other half of humans to.... uh... test your belief in him.  They're only purpose is to go to hell, but some of them might be saved if they convert to Christianity.  Remember, the liberal left is full of non-believers too, so reject mostly everything they say because whether they know it or not, they're going to hell.  Gays are going to hell too.  Homosexuality is a disease, despite what other thousands of scientists have been saying over the past decade.  They're nonbelievers too, so they're going to hell. 

Okay kids, that's it for today.  Remember the world is full of lovely things except for billions of nonbelievers who are going to hell and want to destroy your belief in god!  Eat your vitamins."

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-10-25 19:33:20)

Stingray24

jonsimon wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

"Hey kids, welcome to science class.  The one thing I want to impress upon you it that you're the product of an accident.  There was a massive explosion..."
"...called premature ejaculation."
Science teacher hollers out the door, "Yeah, your parents didn't even want you.  They raise you out of pure obligation.  Now go let the psychologist fix your psyche after that one!"
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
Damn good points brought up. I see some of these kids who just don't want to learn. As you may know, idiots are my biggest anger-inducer. People goofing off and doing crap now affect them later in life. I find the idea of "no child left behind" quite hilarious. You can give them all the education necessary, but it all depends on the will to learn the material. Challenging yourself in order to become better is the course to success. Public education coud always be better.
Stingray24

Spearhead wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

That's the way you hear it, because you obviously aren't listening well enough.  You don't seriously accept the possibility that we are meaningless, so therefore you reject it and instead post what you think it is, in an attempt to convince other more open-minded people that schools and evolution are full of bull.  I remember in Shipbuilders "I'm sorry for being a jerk" thread you said that sergeriver shouldn't be speaking for conservatives.  Well, Mr. Wiseass, you might want to consider tasting some of your own medicine.

In all honesty, religion sounds more stupid by itself, people don't need to make fun of it.  "Welcome kids, and today we'll be teaching you that you are all children of god, and that only god lets Christians into heaven, because he created the other half of humans to.... uh... test your belief in him.  They're only purpose is to go to hell, but some of them might be saved if they convert to Christianity.  Remember, the liberal left is full of non-believers too, so reject mostly everything they say because whether they know it or not, they're going to hell.  Gays are going to hell too.  Homosexuality is a disease, despite what other thousands of scientists have been saying over the past decade.  They're nonbelievers too, so they're going to hell. 

Okay kids, that's it for today.  Remember the world is full of lovely things except for billions of nonbelievers who are going to hell and want to destroy your belief in god!  Eat your vitamins."
Why are you so angry?  If it's because someone who called themselves a Christian was hateful towards you, I apologize for them.  That's not the way it should be.  God doesn't hate one half of humanity and love the other.  Salvation is free to anyone who will accept it, the consequences of rejecting salvation are not fun.  And anyone who has committed the slightest sin has earned themselves hell, no need to single out any one group, that includes me.  We all fall short of God's perfection.  I know I'm not perfect, that's why I'm glad for Jesus.  Living life under the belief that life is meaningless can't be fulfilling.  Where does one find meaning and purpose in life when all we are is compost when it's all over?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard