lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
I am a history nut, I love it, but not just the dates and places, the people and the personal implications to them by a historical event. Most fascinating to me is WW2.

It has always amazed me, for example, that a bomber crew can willfully get into a B-17, and fly off knowing there were people that were going to try and blow them out of the sky. In todays world, that would be same kind of bravery that one would have to muster, in getting on American Airlines, knowing the plane was probably going to crash into the rocky mountains on its way to LA from New York. Where do people get that kind of courage??

Anyway to my questions.

If you were fighting WW2:

1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why?

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why?

3. In what branch of service and why?

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job. Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551
1. I would have fought on the side of the Americans despite the neutrality of Ireland and the fact that I would be allied to a nation ocuupying 6 counties of my country. The fight was necessary and the cause was just.

2. I would have preferred the liberation of France. North Africa would have fried me alive. [Red hair]

3. Army

4. Sniper.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-21 15:37:17)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6497|Los Angeles
After Band of Brothers and countless games to boot, how could anyone want to join anything other than 101st airborne?

Aside from that or I would have loved to have driven one of the three vehicles that won us the war: the Higgins boat, the forklift, or the supply truck.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina
1-US.

2-Pacific, if possible Hawaii.

3-Navy.

4-Desk job.
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6641|Canada
I also love WWII history
1. American or Canadian Army because Canada is my home, and im very interested in the equipment, weapons, and vehicles the US had in WWII.
2. Northwestern Europe - I'm mostly interested in that campaign
3. Army - Ground pounder's the way to go
4. Infantry or Airborne but if I had to, armour.

Last edited by CaptainMike (2006-10-21 15:36:05)

Phantom2828
+51|6524|Land of the free
1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why? US of course. Because it is my homeland and I love it.

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why? Europe. I don't like jungles and swamps.

3. In what branch of service and why? USMC because the marines are so versatile.

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job. Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home. Probably Infantry. Because I can control what happens better and possibly keep myself alive. I would want to be either a machine gunner or a standard rifleman.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464

sergeriver wrote:

1-US.

3-Navy.

4-Desk job.
End of disscission. The one problem I see is the crap air conditioning (I think the best you could get was a fan) in the '40s.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6645
1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why? The Norwegians or Brits

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why?Egypt

3. In what branch of service and why?sabotage, I would really want to piss off the enemy

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job. Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home. Keeping in mind life expectancy, definately not pilots or infantry. I guess maybe a tank driver

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2006-10-21 15:40:07)

SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6656|The darkside of Denver
Phantom the Marines never fought in the European theater.

I would have fought for the Wehrmacht.

Russia/Western Europe

I would have liked to have fought with the unit that my WW2 reenactment unit fights as. The 61st-PanzerJager, we were a part of the 11th Panzer Division. (my sig is a pic of me in my uniform)

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2006-10-21 15:42:48)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

1-US.

3-Navy.

4-Desk job.
End of disscission. The one problem I see is the crap air conditioning (I think the best you could get was a fan) in the '40s.
MMM, what about 2 beautiful Hawaiian girls and a swimming pool.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

sergeriver wrote:

1-US.

3-Navy.

4-Desk job.
LMAO!!!.............Your sacrifices to your country would have been too much to ask of anyone...+1
Phantom2828
+51|6524|Land of the free

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Russia/Western Europe

I would have liked to have fought with the unit that my WW2 reenactment unit fights as. The 61st-PanzerJager, we were a part of the 11th Panzer Division. (my sig is a pic of me in my uniform)
The marines stormed omaha beach.
SonderKommando
No they didnt

check out the units involved. nice try though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2006-10-21 15:48:06)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6645
Look it up perhaps
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Russia/Western Europe

Have you guys been employed as extras or anything in movies or documentries??

Last edited by lowing (2006-10-21 15:51:54)

SonderKommando

lowing wrote:

Russia/Western Europe

Havy you guys been employed as extras or anything in movies or documentries??
yes. ever seen saints and soilders?? our half track is in it and i am in the final sequence of the film as an extra, and sometimes teh history channel comes to events to film stock footage. havent seen any stuff on with my unit though

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2006-10-21 15:49:34)

Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6688|Calgary

lowing wrote:

I am a history nut, I love it, but not just the dates and places, the people and the personal implications to them by a historical event. Most fascinating to me is WW2.

It has always amazed me, for example, that a bomber crew can willfully get into a B-17, and fly off knowing there were people that were going to try and blow them out of the sky. In todays world, that would be same kind of bravery that one would have to muster, in getting on American Airlines, knowing the plane was probably going to crash into the rocky mountains on its way to LA from New York. Where do people get that kind of courage??

Anyway to my questions.

If you were fighting WW2:

1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why?

I'm Canadian, so I would fight for the allies

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why?

Liberation of Europe, as my family is from (and still is) in Europe

3. In what branch of service and why?

Airforce, natural born pilot

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job.

Gimme a P-51D Mustang, outfitted with Rockets and Bombs,

Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home.

Last edited by Superslim (2006-10-21 15:52:34)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

lowing wrote:

Russia/Western Europe

yes. ever seen saints and soilders?? our half track is in it and i am in the final sequence of the film as an extra, and sometimes teh history channel comes to events to film stock footage. havent seen any stuff on with my unit though
Yup I have seen it and it is a pretty good movie, now I gotta watch it again
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
Well I forgot to answer my own questions:

would fight for the US, of course

I would rather fight in Europe, it would appear that the Germans were more "human" than the Japanese in the Pacific.

I would want to be in the Army/Air Forces,...Would wanna fly, and the they thoughts of trying to land on a carrier after being shot at and shot up wouldn't sit too well with me.

Well, Hollywood has certainly "glamorized" life in the 8th Air Force in England 1942-43 flying B-17's. However the thoughts of being shot at and not being able to do anything about it would scare me as well. SO, I would r have rather flown fighters, namely, the P-38. I like the idea of at least 2 engines when someone is trying to shoot me down.
l41e
+677|6644

1. What nation of the allies or axis would you fight for and why? United States. Because we have industrial stuff and besides, I'm from the US.

2. In what theater of operation would you rather be involved and why? Western Europe. No crazy suicide kamikazes.

3. In what branch of service and why? Army

4. In what capacity would you rather do your fighting? IE. infantry, fighter pilot, tank driver, sniper, ships. etc..keeping in mind the life expectancy and the ways of death you could experience from that job. Remember, you still wanna survive the war and go home.

Anti-aircraft gunner in Britain.
-=]DeatH1337[=-
+51|6630|England

lowing wrote:

Russia/Western Europe

I Loved that film i thought it was really well made. Ill have to buy it sometime and look out for you.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

lowing wrote:

Russia/Western Europe

Does your unit have a website?? I would be interested in reading more about what you guys do?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

1. I would fight for m own country - mostly for the reason that there were soe excellent New Zealand commanders and officers such as Bernard Freyberg, (old boy of m school and past Governor-General,) Howard Kippenberger, ( Knighted, and also Grandfather of Shihad's Bass player,) and Charles Upham, (who won two VCs.) Also the Kiwi troops were known for being vicious bastards.

2. Italy. One reason being this was where most of the New Zealand action happened, (Crete, Monte Cassino,) also it was a reletivly successful campeign.

3. Air Force.

4.Difficult question. I suppose I wouldn't take the likelyhood of death, because in war everyone was at risk. I'd probably base my answer on the ways of death. I would hate to be in a tank, those things are death traps. A plane I could cope with, but being splattered with burning oil while thousnads of meters I the air is something I'd rather leave in Medieval times, (the burning oil part I mean.) Snipers were fairly safe in their work, depending on how good they were. However Snipers were so hated by the enemy that if captured they were generally shot. The Russians and Japs even tortured captive Snipers.

I have to rest on general Infantry. Yes, there were so many ways an infantryman could be killed, but most were quick. I'd rather be shot or blown up then burn to death in a tank for example. I would like to be a Sharpshooer perhaps rather than a Sniper. If anyone remembers Private Jackson in "Saving Private Ryan" he was a Sharpshooter, (basicly the only difference is a Sniper is solo while a Sharpshooter is generaly a Sniper in a squad.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
SonderKommando

lowing wrote:

lowing wrote:

Does your unit have a website?? I would be interested in reading more about what you guys do?
unfortunately no we dont. we have a yahoo group.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6738|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
I had 3 great uncles who went and fought with the Canadians - (could never bring themselves to fight with the British) 1 died and 2 made it back and then emigrated to Canada. 

So I guess:

1 - I would probably do the same Canada

2 - Europe

3 - Canadian Air force

4 - pilot

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-10-21 17:08:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard