_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You can't have guns directly mailed to you anymore.
I just found out yesterday you actually can buy brand new black powder guns like revolvers, musket replicas and even modern muzzleloaders and in almost all states, they can ship it directly to you.
CC-Marley
+407|6798
A good friend of my GF had to move his guns from his house before he and his wife were able to foster two children.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD

Dilbert_X wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Dealers kind of seem like pricks unless you know every single thing about gun laws but I guess it's something I'll have to put up with.
If I were a dealer I wouldn't want to sell stuff to someone who hadn't figured out the gun laws.
It wasn't like something everybody would know, like if I just walked in there and asked to buy a machine gun or something.  I walked in there to buy a cheap derringer that I was looking at, and I had no reason to believe that I couldn't buy it in Maryland, it's a pistol with only two bullets.  But when I asked about it the guy looked at me like I was retarded and told me you couldn't get it in Maryland without even explaining why.

I found out later that Maryland has a large but obscure list of pistols that are approved for sale and only certain derringers are on it.  But even still that's not a good way to go about it, who knows how many noobs go into gun shops every day looking to buy their first gun and then ask some grey-area questions to some asshat that works there who's probably had the good fortune of growing up around guns their whole life and just talks to them like an idiot.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

_j5689_ wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Dealers kind of seem like pricks unless you know every single thing about gun laws but I guess it's something I'll have to put up with.
If I were a dealer I wouldn't want to sell stuff to someone who hadn't figured out the gun laws.
It wasn't like something everybody would know, like if I just walked in there and asked to buy a machine gun or something.  I walked in there to buy a cheap derringer that I was looking at, and I had no reason to believe that I couldn't buy it in Maryland, it's a pistol with only two bullets.  But when I asked about it the guy looked at me like I was retarded and told me you couldn't get it in Maryland without even explaining why.

I found out later that Maryland has a large but obscure list of pistols that are approved for sale and only certain derringers are on it.  But even still that's not a good way to go about it, who knows how many noobs go into gun shops every day looking to buy their first gun and then ask some grey-area questions to some asshat that works there who's probably had the good fortune of growing up around guns their whole life and just talks to them like an idiot.
Well, for one thing, a derringer is a highly concealable weapon and you live in a fucktard state where just about everything fun is banned. Secondly, I'm assuming you were in Virginia, and Virginia is constantly in the news because people buy guns there and transport them to other states that have more restrictions. As soon as you said you were from Maryland he wanted you out of his store.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

_j5689_ wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

You are complaining that the owner didn't sell you something that could get you into trouble. He did you a favor instead of fucking you over.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
I don't know anything about guns but I should be able to walk into a store and buy things without the dealer showing any regard for my safety or the safety of those around me, or if what I am buying is illegal wear I live.

Dude was just looking out for you man. He could have just sold you something and made a quick buck, but he cared enough.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6683|Purplicious Wisconsin

Imperial Japan was stupid, they could of been the first to adopt a high capacity pistol.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I think everybody completely misunderstood the part of that interaction that I took issue with.

I wasn't pissed that he wouldn't sell it to me, I totally get that and I wouldn't expect him to break the rules.  I was pissed about the blunt manner in which he told me he couldn't sell it to me.  He doesn't have to pause, blink, and wrinkle his eyebrows and says you can't buy that in Maryland and stare at me like it was common knowledge and I'm an idiot.  Lots of people wouldn't have known that.  He can just be like: "Sorry, we can't sell that one in Maryland(also possibly explaining the reasons why), would you like something else?"

Also no Jay, it was in Maryland at a Maryland gun store.  On that topic, Virginia gun shows are amazing though, they're generally way bigger, they have way more cool stuff and you can easily buy "high capacity" magazines and legally bring them back to Maryland.  As long you're not buying something that has to be registered in your state, like an AR15 or a pistol would be in Maryland, it's also as easy to purchase most guns in Virginia as it would be in Maryland.  Just fill out the 4473 form, do the quick 10 minute background check and it's yours.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

CC-Marley wrote:

A good friend of my GF had to move his guns from his house before he and his wife were able to foster two children.
I took my daughter to the doctor a little while back, and the doctor asked if there were any guns in the house, but didn't ask if there was any smoking in the house. They used to ask about smoking.

Of course, I had to tell the doctor yes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

That's so stupid. There are lawyers and policymakers who haven't figured out the gun laws. Exactly how many byzantine passages of it have you committed to your comprehensive memory?

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't know anything about guns but I should be able to walk into a store and buy things without the dealer showing any regard for my safety or the safety of those around me, or if what I am buying is illegal wear I live.

Dude was just looking out for you man. He could have just sold you something and made a quick buck, but he cared enough.
Depends on where you go. Plenty of friendly dealers are just fine with helping you around safety, law and regulations. There are self-satisfied pricks in every profession. Here, the big names are Cabela's and Bass Pro, which are like the polar opposites in firearms customer service.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Local gun laws can vary so widely though.  In most states, the rules & regulations are probably pretty similar and more on the relatively lenient side compared to blue states like mine so there's less you need to know.  Knowing every little rule and regulation in Maryland is more challenging because there's so many of them and they're trying to add to it every year.
Adams_BJ

_j5689_ wrote:

Local gun laws can vary so widely though.  In most states, the rules & regulations are probably pretty similar and more on the relatively lenient side compared to blue states like mine so there's less you need to know.  Knowing every little rule and regulation in Maryland is more challenging because there's so many of them and they're trying to add to it every year.
Just learn specifically the ones that relate to your situation then.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Or take your business to one of the many dealers who don't look down their noses at you if you don't know every little specific. It's not that hard. If a seller is a giant snot, don't give them your money. FFS, nobody expects buyers to know everything about financing, automotive regulation, and mechanics when they buy a car.
Adams_BJ
I don't think they really have the same ethical requirements for their given services, either.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

nobody expects buyers to know everything about financing, automotive regulation, and mechanics when they buy a car.
They expect buyers to have a drivers licence, credit score, bank account though? So much of the issue is already dealt with.
Provided they do the dealer has no liability.

In the case of firearms its not, and the dealer is often the one stung if the law is broken at some point.
You don't need a driver's license to purchase a car.

But then again, dealer's aren't really liable if some dick head decides to do burnouts and crash into a shopping centre 5 minutes after the purchase.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Many dealers will check you have one, they could be in a sticky situation if they sold a car to someone without a licence.
No they won't?

You don't need a license to own a vehicle, just one to drive on public roads.

You only need to demonstrate ID to transfer the rego over.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't think they really have the same ethical requirements for their given services, either.
http://asirt.org/initiatives/informing- … statistics

Point still stands though. Don't buy guns from assholes. Easy. I don't know why this is so hard for some people. Nobody's forcing anyone to get a service ticket and stand in line for two hours at Cabela's just to talk to a self-important prick who snerks if you can't disassemble a complicated rifle or don't remember the current legal ammunition count for its magazines.

Who the fuck would buy a bag of strawberries from a grocery store that openly or slyly mocks you for not knowing about the latest poisoned vegetable recall or being unsure how to roast an artichoke? Contempt for customers was the reason I stopped going to GameStop.

https://i.imgur.com/4py3l3l.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am doing the paper work to get a gun. What kind of gun should I get?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
blunderbuss
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Serious replies only. I need to know what gun I need to defend myself.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

AR-15 obviously. Look at how many potential burglars you could defend yourself from.
CC-Marley
+407|6798
ARs are good for zombies too. No lie.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I need to protect myself from the government, ISIS, and black people. So an AR-15 should do it.

How many rounds do I need to feel safe? 100?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
100 will last you about five minutes at the range. Go big or go home. Make sure you get the Pickatilly rails and the laser sights and the flashlight. Get a collapsible butt stock and a shooters sling. Draw the line with the forward handle.

Don't tape your magazines together. It looks cool, but it's amateurish because the extra weight causes misfeeds.

Happy hunting!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard