Poll

A Sticky For Stock Discussion?

Yes50%50% - 26
No50%50% - 26
Total: 52
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

I am wondering if some of you are involved in the stock market.  I am not a "heavy" trader, but I do have an account with TDAmeritrade, and have a decent amount of stocks.

So, here is my stock question.  I have stock in every industry except for the airlines.  I want to buy airline stock, and I am leaning towards JetBlue since it is about $10 per share right now.  Anyone agree with buying this stock or should I go with a different airline?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
I haven't gotten involved in it before but I'd be all for this idea. I could then get a feel for things hopefully.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6763|Toronto Canada
buy peacearch..

PAE

Last edited by kessel! (2006-10-17 15:38:21)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

kessel! wrote:

buy peacearch..

PAE
$1 a share, I just might do that.  I need to do some more research on that.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
No.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

ATG wrote:

No.
You are not even old enough to buy stock...hush.
ATG
Banned
Alright, stocks but...
No.
Sports.
Threads.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

ATG wrote:

Alright, stocks but...
No.
Sports.
Threads.
He wasn't asking about sports...

Sounds like a good idea to me!
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6624|Sea to globally-cooled sea
airlines?  isn't that still a little volatile still?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

G3|Genius wrote:

airlines?  isn't that still a little volatile still?
Well...I want something risky to be honest.  So it is either an airline stock or ethanol.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

kessel! wrote:

buy peacearch..

PAE
I can't find that much info on this stock.  What made you say this one?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

I made a grip off of Verisign about 4 years ago. It fell from $230 a share down to $.80. That's when I bought into it. One month later, it was at $4/share so I sold. VRSN is it's sign. I haven't bought or sold stocks since so I don't know how it is today.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida
If ATG isnt old enough, you may say Im not old enough as well, Im 21, and yes I do own stock.  I own a few shares of ATI.  I did own shares of Evergreen Solar, but sold them a couple weeks ago.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

King_County_Downy wrote:

I made a grip off of Verisign about 4 years ago. It fell from $230 a share down to $.80. That's when I bought into it. One month later, it was at $4/share so I sold. VRSN is it's sign. I haven't bought or sold stocks since so I don't know how it is today.
It's about $20 per share.  The analysts seem to like it though.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

Just think how rich I'd be if I held onto it

I only had $500 worth but still, that'd be worth a shitload now.

*kicks the dirt mumbling
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida

usmarine2005 wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

It's about $20 per share.  The analysts seem to like it though.
ha ha, i bet downy is wishing he had held onto that lol
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6485|Melbourne

Shares in a Solar company would be good right about now, Governments are starting to address, Global Warming and they will look for different ways i.e. solar energy so i think shares in solar would do you good.

And if you after a risk in ethnol, rember Planes, Busses and trucks are still quite some distance from hybrid power etc. so that would be a good investment.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-10-17 17:41:45)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida
Yeah R3v4n, when their stock plummets some more, I may buy some shares back.  But I bought at $14, it peaked at $17.50, then has been on a downward spiral for about 6 months....so I dropped them.  Sold the shares for $8.  I have a hard time realizing how their stock prices drop, yet the news bulletins from the company state they have signed a $200 million contract with a company in Germany that was to build a solar power plant, they got a deal with the state of California, and got another $100 million contract with a company in the North Eastern state ( I believe Pennsylvania) of the U.S., but yet the stock continued to plummet.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6763|Toronto Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

kessel! wrote:

buy peacearch..

PAE
lets just say i have the "low-down" on it
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6499|Los Angeles
I used to be a stock market analyst for a major brokerage in Asia. Got sick of working 48-hour days without leaving my chair.

usmarine2005 wrote:

I have stock in every industry except for the airlines.  I want to buy airline stock, and I am leaning towards JetBlue since it is about $10 per share right now.  Anyone agree with buying this stock or should I go with a different airline?
First of all, you have stock in every industry? How is that possible? Yahoo alone lists 215 industries and that doesn't even really break it down.

Second of all, what is your investment philosophy when it comes to stocks? What will make you buy/sell a particular stock?

If your desire is just to add some risk to your portfolio, then I would strongly advise diversifying internationally. For example the S&P 500 (American stocks only) is up about 19% in the past 2 years but the Kospi 100 (Korean stocks only) is up 86% over the same period. If you're after higher returns and able to assume some higher risk, then you gotta start looking internationally.

Third - what's your investment window? Do you watch every day? How often do you pay attention to the company and the markets to evaluate your positions?

It's almost impossible to recommend actions without knowing your methods and preferences. And I can't comment on the fundamentals of the industry or the company itself because I know nothing about recent stuff going on with JetBlue or the airline industry.

In terms of the technicals, if you want to pick up JetBlue I'm not sure now is the best time because it's up 8% in the past week, leading the sector. That said it is a sector laggard in the past year so if you think for whatever reason it's going to move, maybe wait for it to come off a bit and then snatch some up.

Edit: If you can, I'd try to find out what's in the latest research report from Lehman Brothers, it looks like they just upped their rec from marketperform to overweight. Maybe they see something interesting there.

Last edited by The_Shipbuilder (2006-10-17 18:05:32)

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida
Kessel, I looked into them, but I cannot purchase them through sharebuilder where I have an account.  Sucks really, because I considered buying about 30 shares or so.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6485|Melbourne

Dam man, well one company i will never put shares in is EA...
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6499|Los Angeles

kessel! wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

kessel! wrote:

buy peacearch..

PAE
lets just say i have the "low-down" on it
Would this be in the form of a breathless spam message? Or a friend of a friend of a friend who says it's a Real Hot Penny Stock That's Due For A Bounce?
ATG
Banned
lol
He knows I'm 38

I hate sports and have stocks, just don't care to read about them here. Too rl.

= NO
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6499|Los Angeles

ATG wrote:

lol
He knows I'm 38

I hate sports and have stocks, just don't care to read about them here. Too rl.
I agree - let's get off of these sort of serious topics and back to the wondrous fantasy and frivolity of American politics and the Iraq War

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard