Poll

Metric or Imperial?

Metric82%82% - 91
Imperial17%17% - 19
Total: 110
PRiMACORD
+190|6616|Home of the Escalade Herds
I'm bored so yeah, metric vs imperial!!!!!1111

I'm a bit of a mixed bag on this one. I was born in the US but we moved around in Europe for a few years when i was a youngling.

I prefer MPH to KPH
I prefer Celsius to Fahrenheit
I prefer to meausure my height in Feet rather then Meters

yarly

Oh and overall, i still prefer Metric.

Last edited by PRiMACORD (2006-10-13 13:17:34)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6518|Portland, OR USA
Metric ffs.  Imperial is asinine.  I wish we had stuck with the learning curve back in the 70's here.  It would be so much nicer.  Even the founders of the Imperial system now use Metric.

How many centimeters in a meter?  100.  Ok, that makes sense.
How many inches in a yard?  36.  Whaaa?  Arbitrary bullshit.
jonsimon
+224|6486
The history of Imperial is really interesting, like why there is an odd number of feet in a mile. But for practical purposes, metric seems to win.
h_w_s_b
+6|6408
bahh practicality!@# how else are you supposed to confuse the shit out of the person you're trading with withOUT using the imperial system?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6748|Argentina
Metric
KPH
Celsius
JG1567JG
+110|6579|United States of America

jonsimon wrote:

The history of Imperial is really interesting, like why there is an odd number of feet in a mile. But for practical purposes, metric seems to win.
5280 is a very even number. I know what you ment by odd number.  Metric would make things alot easier but us Americans have to be difficult and will probably never change.

Why there are 5280 feet / mile. http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/mile.asp

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-10-13 13:39:08)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6459
Metric FTW.

Imperial was okay but in a world with advanced chemistry and physics we need to be able to translate into a larger or smaller form faster.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

SI units FTW! (SI = Systeme Internationale - metres, kg, newtons, pascals etc.)

I still weigh myself in stones and measure myself in feet and inches and prefer mph to kph and like to drink my beer in pints (although litres are good too - although it tends to go a bit flat towards the end).
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

JG1567JG wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

5280 is a very even number. I know what you ment by odd number.  Metric would make things alot easier but us Americans have to be difficult and will probably never change.

Why there are 5280 feet / mile. http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/mile.asp
He probably means odd as in unusual. Not uneven. 5280 is an unusual number, far less normal than 1000. 12 inches to a foot, 5280 feet to a mile - you can't tell me that's as sensible as 1000 millimetres = 1 metre and 1000 metres = 1 kilometre.

In fact a mile was originally 5000 feet. But that didn't divide properly into furlongs, perches (rods or poles) and yards. It was changed during the reign of Elizabeth I.
GR34
+215|6536|ALBERTA> CANADA
Metric FTW thay are a kick ass band i have never herd of imperal befor thow
IRONCHEF
+385|6482|Northern California
So it's called "imperial" and not "standard" as I was raised calling it?  Didn't know that.

I chose metric because it makes sense, it's easy, and...whoever started the metric system rules! (pun intended)

I lived in south america and learned the metric system.  made me realize how archaic the standard system is that we use in the us.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6617|Quebec city, Canada
I prefer metric although I prefer lb for my weight and feets for my height.

But for science and pratical use, there is no question. Water freeze at 0 and boils at 100 (easy to learn). Plus, a cm3 equals a ml of water and weigh exactly 1 G. A dm3 equals a litre of water, and weigh 1 kg.

The metric system is made so all of the measures taken with water work together, pretty usefull in science.
Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6737|Mexico City
i read that the tard that invented the "feet" measure based it on his own smelly feets.
1 feet = 30.48 cms.
zeidmaan
+234|6406|Vienna

Dont get mad but I just can believe that in 2006 Imperial is still in use. I mean tradition is one thing but wtf.

...they used the distance a horse could pull a plow, in a linear fashion, before the nag needed a nap. <--- LoL
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6436|The Land of Scott Walker
Mph ftw, that's how racing and the record books are recorded.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
even though im american, metric ftw.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6540|Southeastern USA
if you measure your penor in cm it makes it sound longer
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6404|da ville, va
Just like the English language, Imperial makes absolutely no sense. That being said that is why it makes sense. It makes so little sense its perfectly logical to use. So Imperial is obviously the far better candidate
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6621|Washington, DC

Metric is simpler to some extent. I do like MPH more than KPH, not to menetion being 6 feet tall sounds better than 2 meters or w/e a meter is in feet.

Likewise, 0 Celsius sounds better for freezing than 32 Fahrenheit, same with 100C for boiling. But in between, 76F sounds better than what... 25C?
FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6631|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer
metric is superior in everyway

and i live in the US... physics really showed me the superiority of metric
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
This ain't A-metric-a. The metric system is only good for small measurements. For woodworking, I use the inches because I don't want to measure a board 12.86439 cm. For everything else pounds, gallons, miles, and Fahrenheit are much better. The exception is track events because 1600m is about 1609 yards or something.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6522
Who ever invented the Imperial system is fucking retarted. It seems to me they just picked random numbers and amde measurnments from it.

Metric is organized and makes actual sense.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6617|Quebec city, Canada

ShadowFoX wrote:

Who ever invented the Imperial system is fucking retarted. It seems to me they just picked random numbers and amde measurnments from it.

Thats what I think too

32 F
212 F
12 inches in a foot
3 feet in a yard I think ?
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6540|Southeastern USA

ShadowFoX wrote:

that's pretty much it, king ______ (can't remember his name) decided that one inch was the length of his first knuckle of his index finger, and one foot was literally the length of his foot and such
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6404|da ville, va
Fahrenheit was based off of Mr. Fahrenheit's Wife's body temperature. It was 100 degrees but she was sick so its a little flawed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard