No one wears veils in dearborn anyway.
herrr_smity
+156|6629|space command ur anus

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

I totally agree with him
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6550|Southeastern USA
where was it that they are actually trying to create a lawsuit so a woman could have her driver's license made with her veil on? (In US I think)
jonsimon
+224|6496

kr@cker wrote:

where was it that they are actually trying to create a lawsuit so a woman could have her driver's license made with her veil on? (In US I think)
I haven't seen anyone wear a veil in the States. So my guess is UK.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
They should take off all their clothes.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

sergeriver wrote:

Amen. I wonder what muslim chicks are like in the sack. Probably disappointingly dismissive but I'm willing to give it a go!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Amen. I wonder what muslim chicks are like in the sack. Probably disappointingly dismissive but I'm willing to give it a go!
We can't tell if they're under a blanket.
w00stafa
Krylov Whore
+35|6560|AK101 Factory
At least it wasn't Blunkett!
Do you get extra points for having sex with a fundamentalist type muslim ? You know in full ninja gear regalia. I mean shes risking getting buried up to her neck and stoned so thats gotta take a some pretty good game to talk her out of her drapes.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...
Sigh... Islam encourages women to wear veils so people will judge them for their personality instead of their looks.

Also, Muslims have suddenly come under attack since Jack Straw's comment. Hate mail has been piling up at the Lancashire Council of Mosques and hate crimes have increased. I don't get it. Why are they punishing Muslims for Jack Straw's comment? Talk about irrational.
Dec45
+12|6642

Cougar wrote:

I don't see an issue with it.  It's no different than wanting people not to wear ski masks in your office.
Except for that it's a part of their religious practice and right to wear it. Whatever happened to freedom? Islam has been around and is much more important then Jack Straw and his worthless opinion, and personal insecurities. What kind of a man asks a woman to leave her religious duties unfulfilled, because of his discomfort? Fuck that. A muslim has the right to interpret the Qu'ran and the Imams, and act within them, on her own.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6710|Wilmington, DE, US
It's his office. Something to think about though. There's a noticible number of muslims where I live, most of them black. Not NOI, but born in America and raised in America. I'd like to hear what you have to say on that, since they are not immigrants.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6547|Doncaster, UK

Dec45 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

I don't see an issue with it.  It's no different than wanting people not to wear ski masks in your office.
Except for that it's a part of their religious practice and right to wear it. Whatever happened to freedom? Islam has been around and is much more important then Jack Straw and his worthless opinion, and personal insecurities. What kind of a man asks a woman to leave her religious duties unfulfilled, because of his discomfort? Fuck that. A muslim has the right to interpret the Qu'ran and the Imams, and act within them, on her own.
Except that by your own admission this has nothing to do with something being a proscribed religious practice. As you said, it is just one interpretation of the Qu'ran and the Imams and not strictly right.

As has already been stated earlier, members of the muslim community have stated that the covering of the face is not a religious espect, more a cultural one, they are not the same thing.

As has also been mentioned, when visiting countries that adhere to the wearing of veils, female visitors are required to cover up despite it not being part of either their cultural or religious beliefs. Why should others be oppressed in this way and not have their right to wear whatever they like?
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Except that by your own admission this has nothing to do with something being a proscribed religious practice. As you said, it is just one interpretation of the Qu'ran and the Imams and not strictly right.

As has already been stated earlier, members of the muslim community have stated that the covering of the face is not a religious espect, more a cultural one, they are not the same thing.

As has also been mentioned, when visiting countries that adhere to the wearing of veils, female visitors are required to cover up despite it not being part of either their cultural or religious beliefs. Why should others be oppressed in this way and not have their right to wear whatever they like?
In this case, both Jack Straw and the country in question are wrong. Like you said, why should others be oppressed in this way and not have their right to wear whatever they like?If the women want to wear veils, up to them. If they don't, same thing. No one has the right to tell you what you should or should not wear. Except your parents.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6547|Doncaster, UK

Tetrino wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

In this case, both Jack Straw and the country in question are wrong. Like you said, why should others be oppressed in this way and not have their right to wear whatever they like?If the women want to wear veils, up to them. If they don't, same thing. No one has the right to tell you what you should or should not wear. Except your parents.
Exactly, people have been too quick to jump on the religion aspect of all this and not look beyond it.

This is about personal freedoms, but whilst I do agree that people should be free to wear what they want, I also see Jack Straw's point that it does create a barrier between communities in that they feel they cannot effectively communicate with someone wearing a veil. I'm guessing it's a stigma for many that it's difficult for them, myself included, to have a conversation with someone when you can't see their face although we do it all the time over the phone.

But I still uphold that in situations such as a bank or a post office wear you are required to remove a helmet so that security cameras can see your face, people wearing a veil should also have to remove it.
Dec45
+12|6642

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Oppressed? Come on now. Let's not exaggerate. He's not asking that they lower their veils because of his religion, or his land's customs. He's asking them to do it, simply because he's uncomfortable. If that's not a lame ass excuse, what is?

And truthfully, it doesn't matter if it is a matter of opinion or fact. It is an interpretation of the religious doctrine. There are many, of various religions. If a woman feels obligated to hide her face from another's physical thoughts, because her religion suggests this is a righteous action. Then so be it.

Last edited by Dec45 (2006-10-09 02:19:06)

Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Tetrino wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Exactly, people have been too quick to jump on the religion aspect of all this and not look beyond it.

This is about personal freedoms, but whilst I do agree that people should be free to wear what they want, I also see Jack Straw's point that it does create a barrier between communities in that they feel they cannot effectively communicate with someone wearing a veil. I'm guessing it's a stigma for many that it's difficult for them, myself included, to have a conversation with someone when you can't see their face although we do it all the time over the phone.

But I still uphold that in situations such as a bank or a post office wear you are required to remove a helmet so that security cameras can see your face, people wearing a veil should also have to remove it.
Well, I'm just speaking for myself, but I never have any trouble chatting with my schoolamtes who wear veils. But maybe I'm just used to it, so I don't know. And I thought veils don't cover the face. In any case, there haven;t been any cases of veiled women robbing banks, so what's the worry?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

iamangry wrote:

I want to make a religion that requires its female followers to only wear thongs, and requires that the followers to only talk to ppl who agree with and follow this rule
A lot.  For one, the veil isn't explicitly required by the Koran.  For another, it's about modesty, not some random rule.
Dec45
+12|6642
Personally, I feel better able to communicate with someone when they are allowed and able to bring their customs as I bring mine. Jack straw wears a monkey suit, and the muslim women he meets with wears burka/hajib and veil.
I2elik
+12|6754|Perth, Western Australia
I usually find  it better to talk to someone when I can actually see their face, it's just much easier to communicate, I mean, it's like for what? 2 hours a day? Oh my, that's really gonna crush your self esteem.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6553|UK

Dec45 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Where do you reckon my freedom would stand if I decided to run through downtown Baghdad dressed as party boy from jackass?

I reckon I'd probably end up with no head.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

EricTViking wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Where do you reckon my freedom would stand if I decided to run through downtown Baghdad dressed as party boy from jackass?

I reckon I'd probably end up with no head.
Before or after the invasion ?
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6744|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
OOOOOPS context for cartoon (silly me) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6053298.stm
https://www.sayagain.co.uk/b3tapix/images/work.jpg

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-10-15 15:18:06)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

ImmortalTechnique wrote:

From the Globe and Mail:

Quote:
LONDON — Former foreign secretary Jack Straw's preference that Muslim women visiting his office remove their veils ignited a heated debate Friday about cultural isolation and tolerance in Britain.

Mr. Straw wrote in a column for the Lancashire Telegraph newspaper published Thursday that he feels uncomfortable talking with someone whose face he cannot see, and he described the veil as a “visible statement of separation and difference.”

The Lancashire Council of Mosques, based in Blackburn, called Mr. Straw's position “offensive and disturbing.”

See his full article here:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/bl … _issue.php
There are some hot Muslim women out there, can you blame him?  j/k lol... 

In all seriousness though, I really think these people put too much emphasis on tradition.  It's about time much of the Islamic World evolved some.

By the way, that's an excellent cartoon, IG-Calibre.  lol
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6454|Ontario, Canada
Why do they wear them anyway?
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard