IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6754
Anyone else ever have "hiccups" when playing online?
It gets Really annoying. Ill be driving and then the screen will flash for a sec and ill be into a wall. I have 2 computers and it does this on both. its aggervating.

the more powerful one it does it to is a 2.4 p4 with 1 gig of rdram but i only have a 128 card on that one.
but it also does it on the other which is a 1.7 semperon with 2 gigs of ram(3200) and a 256 card. it hiccups either way maybe ill put the 256 card on the p4 machine and check it then but i doubt that will fix it cause the semperon machine is over clocked anyway its more than enough to run this game.

if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on what it might be just let me know,
btw i turn off the firewall on the router before playing.
doxy
+74|6807|Nevis
which gfx settings u use?

Last edited by doxy (2005-11-16 06:43:24)

IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6754
low-600x800

Last edited by IBKCKNURASS (2005-11-16 06:46:19)

doxy
+74|6807|Nevis
your 1.7 semperon hits the min specs hard, the game should work with one gig fine. what kind of gfx settings u use else? like anti aliasing? high/low texture/light/geometrics?

what kind of internet connection u use?
wire/wireless?
does it, on ur own created, lan server also happen?
Spyx750
+0|6760
try the p4 2,4 with the 256 mb card and 3 gigs of ram
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6754
rd is rambus, server ram that wouldnt make a diffrence either way. amount of ram is fine for both machines.

the connection is wireless but its not encripted and its 802.11g. as for the settings they are all on low.
i dont think its the 1.7 cause its over clock as much as possible and it does the same with the 2.4
it doesnt happen offline but i havent tried to make my own server. well ive played it alone and it plays fine but thats with out other PCs.

Last edited by IBKCKNURASS (2005-11-16 08:13:11)

doxy
+74|6807|Nevis
i bet my two cent on the wireless connection. try a hardwired one.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6754
one of them is hardwired...... errr nm ill figure it out. like i said i was wondering if it was the game or just me.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

one of them is hardwired...... errr nm ill figure it out. like i said i was wondering if it was the game or just me.
It's EA - It's in the game!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
OK, if you're getting the same problems as me of late - I've no bloody clue what it is - I've tried monitoring the activity of HDDs, 'net, RAM, Swap, CPU - to see if it gives any clues - nope none - so, in short, I think it's the game - not any one particular system component.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the problem will slowly get better over time - the more you play, the better it gets, but then if you change something (say tweak graphics) it all goes back to lag city - even if you undo any changes?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2005-11-16 21:13:14)

thinner44
+1|6826
It's the game... I have hardwired connection, 2g ram and it still does it, but very rarely. I don't tweak what isn't bust, I have tweaked and have busted though
BudRell
+2|6854|Home
This "chopping" has usually nothing to do with hardware.
It occurs on every type of connections and despite how powerfull your PC is.

Best candidate for the lag is PUNKBUSTER.
If Punkbusters check doesn't go right, for some reason, there will be a "pause". With the results you described. This can be sometimes corrected by setting some PB parameters.

The second candidate is your Internet service provider.
If one knot to the game server is busted for a short while, you will experience that as a massive lag spike.
----> you will find yourself from the wall. To correct this fault, call your ISP and swear much

There will always be errors caused by latency and malfunctional servers so do not worry. All have/will have same  problems.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6770

BudRell wrote:

This "chopping" has usually nothing to do with hardware.
It occurs on every type of connections and despite how powerfull your PC is.

Best candidate for the lag is PUNKBUSTER.
If Punkbusters check doesn't go right, for some reason, there will be a "pause". With the results you described. This can be sometimes corrected by setting some PB parameters.

The second candidate is your Internet service provider.
If one knot to the game server is busted for a short while, you will experience that as a massive lag spike.
----> you will find yourself from the wall. To correct this fault, call your ISP and swear much

There will always be errors caused by latency and malfunctional servers so do not worry. All have/will have same  problems.
Its always funny a server will start to lag and one guy will go "kick all the high pingers, they are making the server lag" and everyone on the server has under 200 ping.  Then other people will chime in, asking with "whats with all the lag", then someone will comment its the server thats lagging, which is normally the correct answer when lots of people are experiencing lag. then an admin will chime in and go, "its not the server the server has a 500 billion gigahertz processer 200 thousand megs of RAM, and a dedicated OC-48 for the pipe. Never actually considering that the server actually can lag or the connection dedicated or not could be experiencing some malfunction.
deject
Got His War On
+37|6790|Golden, CO
This happens to me a lot.  I'll be running forward and then all of the sudden I'll be facing left.  It makes driving very hard.

From my observations, it is definetly lag related.  If your pings are >100ms, it happens much more frequently than if it's below 100ms.  My suggestion is to only play on servers that you get really low pings on.
BudRell
+2|6854|Home

freebirdpat wrote:

Its always funny a server will start to lag and one guy will go "kick all the high pingers, they are making the server lag" and everyone on the server has under 200 ping.  Then other people will chime in, asking with "whats with all the lag", then someone will comment its the server thats lagging, which is normally the correct answer when lots of people are experiencing lag. then an admin will chime in and go, "its not the server the server has a 500 billion gigahertz processer 200 thousand megs of RAM, and a dedicated OC-48 for the pipe. Never actually considering that the server actually can lag or the connection dedicated or not could be experiencing some malfunction.
Yes, exactly like that. Almost every time the server is the one to blame. It's not possible, not even in theory, that client could "lag the server".
Usually someone has rented an overrated game server (because it was "cheap"..) that should be used for much less players. The admin thinks "blah...it will work fine for 64 players..." and configures the server so. Results can be read from many articles (and whinings...) ...

If clients connection sucks, the only one who suffers is the client. NOT the other players on server or the server itself.

P.S. ..err...in fact there is one exeption in lagging too. Player can cause "self lagging" by using a kind of "hack". But again, that will not effect server or other players. That simply makes the player harder to hit..

Last edited by BudRell (2005-11-18 03:28:18)

IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6754
Thanx peeps i didnt think it was just me.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6786|Human Meat Shield

doxy wrote:

i bet my two cent on the wireless connection. try a hardwired one.
Quoth the doxy! Internet bro...Internet... nothing to do with your 'puter, you'll have hiccups with the computer with load times and when it first starts, I've had both styles onboard.
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6857|Scotland!
I can be driving along 1 min, then next i'm staring at my desktop. WITHOUT TOUCHING A THING! Magic!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

Locarno wrote:

I can be driving along 1 min, then next i'm staring at my desktop. WITHOUT TOUCHING A THING! Magic!
I hate the one where I'm happily gambling along and then my vid signal dies - black screen, completely locked up - have to hard-reset it - also all without touhching a thing! The game is truly amazing!
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6824
Yeah well...it's been said before, but: It's EA! You know what that means guys! It means sitting in front of your screen SCREAMING and SHOUTING in total despair. I'm still waiting for the appropriate advertisement:
"Are you tired of your pc being able to handle every new monster-fps without ANY problems? Here is our solution: Buy EA-games! Every game will release you from trouble-free pc-times! Order now and stay bugged for the rest of your gaming-life!"
But seriously, I still love the game
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6757|Vermont
definitely sounds to me like a connection problem, not a computer problem.  Approximately how often does this happen?  Once or twice a round?  Once a minute?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
The thing I don't get is this - I've had hideous, unplayable, lag - yet my ping (confirmed by another player) remained <20.

People say it's server lag - but server lag should show up in everyones pings.

So it's client lag? Except client lag should show up in the laggy players ping.

So it's video-card lag? Except video card lag would show up in FPS - I've had renderer.drawFps on during lag and it's not video-card lag - frame rate goes down, but it doesn't go through floor.

So, it's some kinda non-specific game lag? Looks like it. It's EA - It's in the game.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6791|Noizyland

I have never had "hiccups" until yesterday. I kept on getting connection problems for no reason. It sucked, because my ping was 17 and I was aiming for my knife badges, going well and then my connection to the fucking server was lost!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
h4r13quin
+0|6744

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The thing I don't get is this - I've had hideous, unplayable, lag - yet my ping (confirmed by another player) remained <20.
Do not trust the ping function in the game to give you an accurate reading.  Every player reads a different number for those ping numbers, and they can be a difference of hundreds.

I too experience these "lag" issues.  It seems there are too many potential problems to accurately discern where the failure occurs, but I run a wireless and thats generally a bad idea for games as demanding bf2 cause I like the big games.  Even servers running CSS with 64 players lag once and a while and thats a much simpler game.  Taking in account the size of the maps and the ammount of action going on its expected to have some lag. 

My most common encounters with lag however is when I'm in a firefight in the middle of it all, my least ammount of lag is when everybody is spread out (outside my field of view).
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

h4r13quin wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Do not trust the ping function in the game to give you an accurate reading.  Every player reads a different number for those ping numbers, and they can be a difference of hundreds.
Of course. However the point I was making is that if whatever is causing the lag is either at the server or the client end of the network code then it would show up in pings - you still get a lot of variation, obviously, but network lag should increase average ping, by definition - but it doesn't, in fact, from looking at pings, it's clear that the 'lag' most definately isn't network lag - there's absolutely no correlation between lag and ping.

h4r13quin wrote:

I too experience these "lag" issues.  It seems there are too many potential problems to accurately discern where the failure occurs, but I run a wireless and thats generally a bad idea for games as demanding bf2 cause I like the big games. Even servers running CSS with 64 players lag once and a while and thats a much simpler game.  Taking in account the size of the maps and the ammount of action going on its expected to have some lag.
Totaly agree. However, from what I've seen, it appears that the actual problem is that the lag is not being caused by any one single component, rather it seems to be something more akin with a synchronisation issue - each component - video, memory, network, cpu - are all working perfectly and can all handle their individual work load, but the game loses synchronisation and everything gets held up, with the game sitting there kinda waving its arms about going "OK, OK, I know you all want something from me, and you all want it like yesterday, but you're also all telling me stuff that I need to deal with first!"...

h4r13quin wrote:

My most common encounters with lag however is when I'm in a firefight in the middle of it all, my least ammount of lag is when everybody is spread out (outside my field of view).
Yes, this seems to be the one key piece of information - the only place there's any correlation - the lag never hits when everybody's spread out - it really only hits when you get into close firefights - and then, interestingly, there seems to be a threshold - I've had countless occasions where I've been in the middle of a firefight - no lag - then an enemy heli flies overhead - unplayable lag hits. Or sometimes it's a tank.

The other situation that seems to be a prime cause is when you and you squad are taking an out-of-the-way flag, then someone spawns there, or an enemy squad will turn up - to the extent where now, if I'm sitting taking a 'deserted' flag - I can actually get an edge on the enemy because the lag is telling me they've just turned up somewhere...

Actually, thinking about it, I think that might actually be the key factor - it always seems to be situations where an enemy heli/tank/squad turns up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard