Poll

Should the drinking age be reduced to 18 years of age?

Hell yes!44%44% - 80
Absolutely not!44%44% - 79
Undecided / Need more information11%11% - 20
Total: 179
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

What Ty said is part true, I knew a girl who smoked because it was cool... a lot of young people do that. No drinking age= no coolness= no one gives a shit.
I've drank alcohol maybe three times in my life. Twice in childhood when offered by adults, and once on my 21st birthday, only because a couple of 'Nam vets insisted. First was a sort of low-alcohol beer, second was Southern Comfort, and the third was a rum & Coke. So I guess I'll be lucky to hit my tenth drink by my 80th birthday.

Part of the whole 'no-coolness' thing just depends on how prone an individual is to peer pressure.
If your second drink ever was Southern Comfort, no wonder you never drink, it's enough to put you off for life. Disgusting stuff.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I'm guessing all the 18 year olds said yes..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6641|Your moms bedroom

N.A.T.O wrote:

No .18 year olds in America are retarded and mostly irresponsible the last thing they need is a readily supply of alcohol. They will get drunk at party’s were drinking underage should be done. Not any time they like.
yet you trust 18 year olds to defend your country and vote for your president... if it were legal they wouldnt have to drink at partys, and the police are already closer to the bars anyway....
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6743|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
The average Irish person in the republic is now offically drinking 2 Gallons, yes, you read that right 2 gallons!! less beer each year, down from 57 to 55...

I voted yes by the way, a Young man of eighteen in the US of  A, can vote, drive a car & die for his country - yet he can't have a beer? aye right...

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-10-03 07:47:25)

{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

IG-Calibre wrote:

The average Irish person in the republic is now offically drinking 2 Gallons, yes, you read that right 2 gallons!! less beer each year, down from 57 to 55...

I voted yes by the way, a Young man of eighteen in the US of  A, can vote, drive a car & die for his country - yet he can't have a beer? aye right...
This is definatly the most popular rebuttle this topic can have. Yet, there are a few things that a 21 year old can't do, such as become President and serve in many of seats in office.

My question to everyone who voted yes to this is, why are you in such a rush to start drinking? I mean, it harms your liver and has a deadly effect if you use it the wrong way. And I'm not talking about a glass of red wine (I'm pretty sure it's red wine...) because a glass of red wine apparently is good for your immune system or something. I'll be sure to get the proof on that. I know I used that comparison in a speech in my Politics class.

Why the rush?
TDRE666
+5|6482
Lower the drinking age in the U.S.

Raise the age you can get a drivers license at.

Learn to hold your booze before you get behind the wheel
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

TDRE666 wrote:

This is the worst rebuttle I've ever heard.

Yeah, lets raise the age to get a license. Brilliant, so mommy and daddy can pick you up from school and drop you off at work after you take the bus to school senior year.  People NEED to get places by themselves without having to rely on others, that's the reason the drivers license was created.  You're an idiot on so many levels it's hard to understand how you can pull that out of your ass and post that.

Here's a genious's mind at work: Let's teach everyone how to drink and hold their booze so when they get behind the wheel they'll be fine.  You want people to train their livers and stomachs to hold their alcohol? What? Listen moron, think before you post please.

I'm going to assume you want the drinking age to be lowered to 18 and be able to aquire a license at 18. Wow, what a combination that would be. The day people get their licenses they can go to the liquor store. Have fun getting that bill to pass in office.

Last edited by {XpLiCiTxX} (2006-10-03 13:53:31)

Des.Kmal
+917|6619|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
If u can fight for ur country, then damnit u should be able to drink alchohol!!

btw, im 15 and i dont drink, thats just my opinion, and also i dont think i will drink even when i come of age.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

TDRE666 wrote:

This is the worst rebuttle I've ever heard.

Yeah, lets raise the age to get a license. Brilliant, so mommy and daddy can pick you up from school and drop you off at work after you take the bus to school senior year.  People NEED to get places by themselves without having to rely on others, that's the reason the drivers license was created.  You're an idiot on so many levels it's hard to understand how you can pull that out of your ass and post that.

Here's a genious's mind at work: Let's teach everyone how to drink and hold their booze so when they get behind the wheel they'll be fine.  You want people to train their livers and stomachs to hold their alcohol? What? Listen moron, think before you post please.

I'm going to assume you want the drinking age to be lowered to 18 and be able to aquire a license at 18. Wow, what a combination that would be. The day people get their licenses they can go to the liquor store. Have fun getting that bill to pass in office.
You seem to be operating under this strange notion that because people can drink at 18, that means they're going to drink and drive. I hate to tell you this, but everything works out find and dandy in other countries with lower drinking ages. People will drink whether you want them to or not before 21, and already can drive. It seems stupid to limit things on age when the person is technically an adult.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6776
I don't make the laws and I have no say in their effects so I nulled vote. Oh and I'm underage and I don't drink. I may agree or disagree with laws, but I still obey them because they are there for a reason.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York
Well, you can't tell me that people who drink don't drive, because there IS a percentage of people who do it.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
People are stupid. There are plenty who will drink before they can legally. I sincerely doubt "everything works out fine and dandy" in these countries as well. Then again, I don't get the whole appeal of alcohol. As one of my old teachers used to say, "Alcohol is a deadly, cellular poison." (it sounded funny coming from him)Seriously though, Dr. Pepper/Pepsi FTW!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Of course, but they can still drink illegally. You also get people over the age of 21 who drink and drive.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

DesertFox423 wrote:

People are stupid. There are plenty who will drink before they can legally. I sincerely doubt "everything works out fine and dandy" in these countries as well. Then again, I don't get the whole appeal of alcohol. As one of my old teachers used to say, "Alcohol is a deadly, cellular poison." (it sounded funny coming from him)Seriously though, Dr. Pepper/Pepsi FTW!
Why exactly do you doubt that? Because if it's different to how it is in America, it must be wrong and can't actually work in reality? Moron.
Yes. It's not like the limit is stopping kids anyways.

I love drinking underage and smokin' grass.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

ghettoperson wrote:

DesertFox423 wrote:

Why exactly do you doubt that? Because if it's different to how it is in America, it must be wrong and can't actually work in reality? Moron.
Well done.
motherdear
+25|6652|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
here in Denmark it's legal to buy alcohol at the age at 16 (18 in some clubs and bars) but we are allowed to drink before that let's say at age 12-13 without the law doing anything about it since it's legal to drink but not legal to buy. yes we do get some of the alcohol from the older people but we have no problems with it since it's normal in our society. but we start to drink at i guess at age 13 (under supervision of our parents) so our parents control how much we drink at age 14-15 we begin to go to parties with vodka and stuff like that but we are used to alcohol so we know enough about it s that we watch a bit over each other and help each other if we get to much and if we get to much and get a blackout we have learned that that is what happens and we have learned the consequences and we watch out (because really hard hangovers ain't really fun you know). it's actually doing quiet well here in Denmark because that we are introduced to it at a much lower age and people learn to handle it so it's no problem at all. we also get drivers license at age 18 so we are quiet used to it there so it makes no problem. i know it ain't the same in the us because of the drivers license at age 18 but i just want to point out that 21 might be a bit to high since we can handle it so well even through we begin drinking heavily in the weekends at age 15-16. so as long as you start out slowly under supervision it's no problem to use alcohol at age 16.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

ghettoperson wrote:

Now you're getting it.

So according to your nonexistent data, alcohol is no problem in Europe? There are no car accidents in which it is involved. A lower drinking age allows a person to kill brain cells earlier than before? Dream on...
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

To those that use the fact that at 18 they can join the military and die for their country, guess what?  While in the military they can get alcohol on the base; with certain restrictions.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheN … 56025.html

As for red wine, there have been studies that show benefits in cardiovascular health and cancer prevention.  The reason it is for red wine, and not white wine, is because the chemicals in the grape's skin are where these benefits come from, and white wine is not made with the skins.

http://www.healthcastle.com/redwine-heart.shtml
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Yes. Look at holland, drinking age at 16 and hardly anyone having hangovers at school... The younger they expirience alchahol and what it does, the less stupid things they'll do. If you don't lower the age... it wont make a difference on illegal drinking now would it?
This would imply that all people are of the same responsibility level. Which is CLEARLY not the case. I'm pretty sure if the drinking age in New York, where I live, were to be 16, 75% of students in high schools would be expelled.
You appear to have a very low opinion of you city/country.

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

So, you're saying that if I was introduced to a substance (illegally, because at the time it is illegal for me to consume it) I would gain a responsibility for use later on when the use of this substance is legal? What? I can see the argument but it's so far-fetched I bury this under the rug almost instantaniously.

DonFck wrote:

It's a complete paradox, yet there must be some truth in it. I can only speak IMO, but everyone here does it, don't they?

The first time I've had alcohol was when I was 13 or so, under supervision of my parents. Just one beer, a mild beer, I might add. later on I had small amounts of different alcohol drinks, also under supervision. Of course there was getting drunk unsupervised in parks during weekends with friends (naturally). I consider myself now, 13 years later that I'm a responsible drinker, and have been that already before I turned 18. Why? Dunno?

Did the fact that I've been introduced to alcohol young have to do with it? Perhaps. I remember my classmates from that time (early to mid- 90's) to whom alcohol was forbidden by their parents altogether. They are getting shitfaced still today. It's peculiar, but an observation I've made.

Regarding alcohol related traffic accidents, IMHO the driving age should be lifted to 18.

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

This is a complete paradox. There's not really any other way to look at it.
Actually, no it's not. It's called psychology.

You see, by making something illegal you raise it up onto a platform - so, in the case of alcohol, there are all these kids thinking "WOW! Alcohol must be sooooo cool - after all it's illegal until you're 18/21!" so they drink it behind their parent/guardians backs, in secret, giving it even more kudos, or if they don't do that they bottle-up this urge to 'taste the forbidden pleasures' of alcohol until they're at legal age and they go and get plastered, plastered and more plastered.

By introducing kids to alcohol, in a responsible manner, at a younger age you demonstrate two things to that child - 1. That drinking alcohol is just 'normal' and 2. that yeah it helps you relax and is ok in moderation, but actually, alcohol isn't really all that nice - certainly nothing to get excited over.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York
I can see that working out with a few people, yes. I agree that what you just said is a responsible way of introducing kids to it. But you're still breaking the law by giving it to them, which you can't get around because it's suppling illegal materials to minors.

This is assuming all parents / guardians do it in that fashion and actually teach the kids something. Yes, it's really nothing to get excited about. Unless you really really really want to become a bartender, then becoming 21 is something to look forward to.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
If we're allowed to go out into another country and kill people at 18, we should be allowed alcohol. I myself am not and probably will never be a heavy drinker, but for people who do it's only fair.
ts-pulsar
+54|6503
Everything seems to be fine in canada, so what's the prob?
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

ts-pulsar wrote:

Everything seems to be fine in canada, so what's the prob?
The problem is that Americans are crazier when it comes to alcohol.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

The drinking age in the UK is 18. You also need to be 18 to get a drivers license (I think, it was 17 back when I took my test, but I think it's gone up).

Yet there is no huge drink driving problem in the UK. In fact the UK had best record in the world for reducing drink-driving between 1980-2000.

I don't think you could put that down to the British not drinking much, because that simply isn't the case.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard