Poll

Your views on population control

Limiting the number of kids per family a good idea48%48% - 41
Limiting the number of kids per family a bad idea51%51% - 44
Total: 85
CommieChipmunk
+488|6608|Portland, OR, USA
The population of the world was about 6.1 billion people in 2000 and increasing by 1.4 % per year.  Assuming that trend continues and each peron takes up 4 sq ft of space there will be "standing room only" by 2801, which is a long way off but by then all of the resources would be long gone, disease would kill billions. I say we should seriously consider solving the problem before it becomes one (something never seen in government). 

Some could argue "limits on freedom" but who needs 8 kids? Who can support and give the needed attention to 8 kids at the same time?  It seems selfish to me and i think that 2 kids is enough for me.  It keeps the population leveled off, you can provide well for them.. what are your thoughts?
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6664|Sea to globally-cooled sea
that's the ultimate offense to the freedom of choice.

are you "pro-choice"?  You speak as though you are, but if you are, then allow people to make a choice.

The family is the central part of society.  Everything everyone learns is in their family.  Kids who grow up without families are totally screwed up, with few rare exceptions.  I say we work on keeping families with both a mother and a father before we start limiting the number of children we have.

FREEDOM is what America was founded on.  Being free.  FREE.  I love my freedom.  I love not having someone tell me how many children I can have.  I love not having someone tell me what job to get when I grow up or where to live or what to drive.  You have no right to take it away from me, or from any of my countrymen because of your convoluted perception of reality and truth.

Do some research before you put your ignoramus asinine statements on this forum.

Last edited by G3|Genius (2006-10-01 16:19:47)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6798|San Antonio, Texas
Don't they already have that in effect in China?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6608|Portland, OR, USA
If you havent noticed your freedom is being eaten away by your "democratic" govenment.  It just seems selfish to have so many kids when you cant support for them.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6669|Washington, DC

What if one gets octuplets?
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6501|Tyne & Wear, England
It is a controversial one, but they did it in China and it has improved their economy.  In China however the limit was one child per person.  Perhaps this is much too strict.  To be honest i am not too sure on this one.

In Britain we're gunna have to force people to have kids and have them earlier, we have an aging population problem, which in the near future could turn into a crisis.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Go back to China.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6733|Mountains of West Virginia

G3|Genius wrote:

FREEDOM is what America was founded on.  Being free.  FREE.  I love my freedom. 
Do some research before you put your ignoramus asinine statements on this forum.
And yet you sit back while your government strips away these very freedoms in the name of security.

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6501|Tyne & Wear, England
Lots of people talking about such an idea breaching our freedom.  However we must remember that the more we breed the more we rape our planet and the more we do that natural resources will deplete and as the original poster stated disease would be rife.  The planet could turn into a spinning plague.  What kind of freedom is that for our children's, children's, children.  If we want to leave a worthy place to live for our descendants, we as a human race need to start taking responsibility for our actions and begin looking after our planet.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6569|The lunar module
The best way to limit population growth is to increase the standard of living.

Birthrates are way down in Japan, western Europe etc., where it's no longer necessary to rear 8 kids to have 2 survive to adult age.
SpanktorTheGreat
Bringer of slight pain and mild discomfort.
+1|6853

CommieChipmunk wrote:

The population of the world was about 6.1 billion people in 2000 and increasing by 1.4 % per year.  Assuming that trend continues and each peron takes up 4 sq ft of space there will be "standing room only" by 2801, which is a long way off but by then all of the resources would be long gone, disease would kill billions. I say we should seriously consider solving the problem before it becomes one (something never seen in government). 

Some could argue "limits on freedom" but who needs 8 kids? Who can support and give the needed attention to 8 kids at the same time?  It seems selfish to me and i think that 2 kids is enough for me.  It keeps the population leveled off, you can provide well for them.. what are your thoughts?
Man, talk about preemption. What a Godless thought to think that we are responsible for the year 2801. If you use the same logic and arithmetic you won't have to worry about anyone actually making it to that year.

Two questions: Do you really think that level of control is good for any society to have? Do you have children of your own?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6483|The Land of Scott Walker

Snipedya14 wrote:

G3|Genius wrote:

FREEDOM is what America was founded on.  Being free.  FREE.  I love my freedom. 
And yet you sit back while your government strips away these very freedoms in the name of security.

Please post what rights have been stripped away.  None?  Ok, then.  Bye, bye.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6525|Melbourne

Currently in Aus, we have an aging population, so our govermet gives mothers $4000 for giving birth to a new born child, whats sad is people as young as 14 are having children now.  I think it is an idea that should be looked at carefully.  And at the rate were going this planet will be submerged in water by 2801 We need to deal with Green House Gas first then deal with the worlds birth rate.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6789|Chicago.
Let the world grow and prosper as the people who inhabit it see fit.

If a problem arises, we will solve it. That's how its always been.

As for my views on population control, "Limiting the number of kids per family a bad idea".

Last edited by BigmacK (2006-10-01 17:59:45)

N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6478|A drop house

BigmacK wrote:

If a problem arises, we will solve it. That's how its always been.\

As for my views on population control, "Limiting the number of kids per family a bad idea".
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6483|The Land of Scott Walker

BigmacK wrote:

If a problem arises, we will solve it. That's how its always been.

Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6794|United States of America
Go to war, reduce the overall population.  That solves everything 
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6728|Tampa Bay Florida
If worse comes to worse, we can just develop floating cities and live off the fish.  I'm sure that would increase the the square footage problem for at least another 1 or 2 thousand years.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-10-01 19:20:24)

PRiMACORD
+190|6663|Home of the Escalade Herds
There is tons of empty space, just look at Canada
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6567|Global Command

CommieChipmunk wrote:

If you havent noticed your freedom is being eaten away by your "democratic" govenment.  It just seems selfish to have so many kids when you cant support for them.
QFE
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6533|Sydney, Australia
The One Child Policy is more of a One Pregnancy Policy, meaning if you have twins or more, it's ok. If you have a second pregnancy, the State will urge you to have an abortion. If you're too late into the pregnancy to have an abortion, you will be fined but that's all, they don't kill your baby.

The One Child Policy has had a major detrimental effect on the social wellbeing of the Chinese population. The traditional family structure has been inverted like an upside down pyramid, where 3 generations all care for the one child. This has lead to an enormous expansion in snobbish, selfish kids, or "little emperors" because they receive all the attention possible. Sure, it may have helped the economy, but the social cost is great, and great lengths had to be taken to ensure this new generation of "little emperors" could work cooperatively in teams as well as individually.

There are better ways of population control then strict government controls, but one has to consider the fact that is freedom of choice worth the starvation of billions, and the poor sanitation standards in the future? Like all things, freedom of choice can't be taken to the extreme. We can't forgo our own responsibility for sustainable population growth just to be able to satisfy our salacious desire for procreation, and perhaps that idea needs to be taught by institutions.

I am not for strict controlling of the population, unless the problem becomes so large it warrants one, but I do believe we have a responsibility for the Earth's future, and we should do all we can, albeit with a little sacrifice, to achieve that outcome.
acidkiller187
+123|6668
Why didnt you put

I dont fkn care ill be dead by then poll cause honestly i dont give a snizzle!!!!!!!!

Oh and desease and war will take care of all that stuff and not to mention robots and all that kinds of stuff.

just my 2c worth.

PEACCCCCCCE

MAKES NO SENCE I KNOW......................... NOW GO F______K Yourself

Last edited by acidkiller187 (2006-10-01 20:17:12)

jermyang
I've Seen the Saucers.
+38|6778|Norcal, usa
An epidemic is likely. Bird Flu. Don't forget it.
Don't touch dead/sick/hurt birds on the ground.
SGT.Slayero
+98|6503|Life in a vacuum sucks
u know ur crazy right?
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6580|Winterpeg, Canada

PRiMACORD wrote:

There is tons of empty space, just look at Canada
Yes and no. Canada holds 10% of the World's fresh water supply, which means with a population of 32 million (about), we have a shitload of water per person. The downside of this is that most of the land up here past a certain point would make for very difficult living conditions (for those not used to the weather), as well as being very costly. There's also few "good" roads that even go that far up North.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard