Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6645
When stupid and submissive people unite under their common religious beliefs, you have the makings of the biggest source of violence and bloodshed the world has ever seen. I find it rediculous that people are willing to kill and die in the name of their religion. We have fanatics blowing themselves up everyday, jackasses claiming that dinosaurs were put on Earth as God's test of man's faith, and those who, despite all scientific proof, claim evolution is not real. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their beliefs, they just don't need a church between them and their god. A church isn't led by your god, it's led by humans, who, when given this power, are no less corrupt than your average crooked politician.

The extent to which organized religion can brainwash such a large majority of the world into defying science, reasoning, and truth is truly shocking....even more so than Hitler's influence over Nazi Germany. I can't help but think I'm on crazy pills when I question how can so many people be so meek. When fanatics fight in the name of their religion, do they even know why? I just see these people as zombies incapable of higher reasoning or imagination. All sides are guilty here. There is no "right" organized religion because organized religion in itself is wrong.

Discuss.
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6529|Sydney, in 1978
i agree, but religion is still bullshit
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6538|The Lost Highway
I didn't even bother to read this. Getting rid of religion doesn't mean getting rid of violence. It's in our nature to fight, regardless of the reason.

No religion? Sweet, now we can fight over race even more... Or good 'ol politics.

Edit: I read it, and still stand by what I said.

Last edited by mKmalfunction (2006-09-16 23:46:21)

Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6645

mKmalfunction wrote:

I didn't even bother to read this. Getting rid of religion doesn't mean getting rid of violence. It's in our nature to fight, regardless of the reason.

No religion? Sweet, now we can fight over race even more... Or good 'ol politics.

Fighting over political agenda > fighting over who chose the right blind faith.
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6543|Sverige (SWE)
Religion is a good excuse to kill and destroy but to get rid of it won't get things better as mKmalfunction wrote we just find another ting to fight over..........
mKmalfunction

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Fighting over political agenda > fighting over who chose the right blind faith.
Not really. Both end in death.

Religion causes, at the very least, an equal amount of pacifisim as violence.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6645

mKmalfunction wrote:

Religion? Yes. Organized religion? No. There is absolutely no reason why someone would need a church to worship their god. It puts the wrong people in positions of great power and influence. It has been a trend throughout human history.
mKmalfunction

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Religion? Yes. Organized religion? No. There is absolutely no reason why someone would need a church to worship their god. It puts the wrong people in positions of great power and influence. It has been a trend throughout human history.
You're kind of right there, but it's defiantly a grey area. I know I was pissed when I went to my Great Uncles funeral. After the service I stepped out into the lobby... What did I see? A huge cardboard cutout selling some guys book. No respect.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Oh noes! I am teh agreeing! What's happening?!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6671|Colorado
It would be a much better world without religion, when ever you make a man believe in a lie & forsake reason & logic they cease to be human in my eyes.
I have many other posts on religion on this forum, my views are posted.

In fact I added a post to the end of this that should clear things up for people.

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2006-09-21 22:01:53)

the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6693|Vancouver BC Canada
Whats this, a serious topic from who?

But, yes i agree. Although it does have its place. I've recently been reading Dan Brown, excelent books.
Choclot
+21|6541
you are so awsome, to question a stuipid thing. i am currently starting to seriosuly think about how fucked religion is, so your not on crazy pills..or am i?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6664|NT, like Mick Dundee

the_outsider38 wrote:

Whats this, a serious topic from who?

But, yes i agree. Although it does have its place. I've recently been reading Dan Brown, excellent books.
Yeah, good books except he is kinda formulaic and he needs to research some of his stuff better (enigma 12 tons? Sorry, no).

On topic, churches are good insofar as a place for faithful people to congregate, no power should be handed to the "leaders" of the church though.

For example, the Pope shouldn't be allowed to say (not that he is likely to, although they used to a lot) "Go and kill all <insert random race here> or you will go to hell."
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
I can't believe I agree in almost everything Fancy_Pollux said.  I'm worried.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6718|Las Vegas
Personally, I cant stand organized religion OR politics.  From listening to a bit of talk radio lately, I'm not even sure which is the more rabid of the two....

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-09-17 06:39:51)

velocitychaos
+26|6495|Brisbane Australia
I'm starting my own religion, it will be called " The Church of the Everlasting Bitch Goddess".
No killing for real, only pretending, you know, like in a computer game.
Rosse_modest
+76|6775|Antwerp, Flanders

sergeriver wrote:

As am I. Some of his opinions and thoughts are like perfect. Others are so retarded they are amusing.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

When stupid and submissive people unite under their common religious beliefs, you have the makings of the biggest source of violence and bloodshed the world has ever seen. I find it rediculous that people are willing to kill and die in the name of their religion. We have fanatics blowing themselves up everyday, jackasses claiming that dinosaurs were put on Earth as God's test of man's faith, and those who, despite all scientific proof, claim evolution is not real. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their beliefs, they just don't need a church between them and their god. A church isn't led by your god, it's led by humans, who, when given this power, are no less corrupt than your average crooked politician.

The extent to which organized religion can brainwash such a large majority of the world into defying science, reasoning, and truth is truly shocking....even more so than Hitler's influence over Nazi Germany. I can't help but think I'm on crazy pills when I question how can so many people be so meek. When fanatics fight in the name of their religion, do they even know why? I just see these people as zombies incapable of higher reasoning or imagination. All sides are guilty here. There is no "right" organized religion because organized religion in itself is wrong.

Discuss.

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

I agree entirely. Organised religion causes nothing but trouble. It doesn't matter whether it's Islamic fundamentalists suicide bombing embassies or Christian fundamentalistics fire bombing abortion clinics - they're all just as bad as each other.

Organised religion should be banned worldwide as part of the war on terror, which would probably cause more problems initially, but might sort stuff out in the long run - less brainwashing bullshit.

A less drastic step would be to prevent religious people standing for government. So that at least important decisions could be made by people who aren't swayed by a 'god'. I am pleased to say that in Britain politicians know that religion is not a vote winer (you only have to google Blairs famous 'we don't do god' incident to see that). In the US however the president often seems to end public addresses with 'god bless you' or 'god bless America', which in the US seems to win votes and increase popularity. I think this intertwining of church and state is very wrong. Worse examples can be found in countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran which are quite hardcore Islamic states.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

sergeriver wrote:

Same here.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6741|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
Outlaw religion forever.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6678

mKmalfunction wrote:

I fully agree. Remove religion and we, humans, will still kill each other over boarders, power, money, greed and pussy.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
So what precisely is "organized" religion? You pick the worst part of the faith who use the guise of religion as an excuse for violence? What about all the Muslims and Christians who aren't suicide bombing or firebombing places? You could say the white supremacists are an organized religion for that matter.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6657|WPB, FL. USA
Can't agree with you and actually your post is pretty damned insulting towards the majority of the people in the world {those who have faith}.  I would side with you on the fact that the so called "Leaders" in the past used religion as a call to war or used their religion to rally their troops or to improve moral - but your blanket view is just factually wrong.  Obviously you don't practice any faith and you believe in creationism - that's fine and I respect that but please don't blame religion for the Ills of humanity - hold the person accountable.

As humans became more "civilized", and I use that term loosely, over the centuries certain religions have become proponents of peace and tolerance {Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, etc.}.  The issue always comes down to a human beings who distorts the basic teachings of a religion - as in the extreme sense that is going-on within the Islamic world.  If you do your research you'll find that over 90% of religious violence, that's created out of religious intolerance, is coming from the Muslim world today - most against their own people.

I'm a religious person and never once in my life have I heard a call to arms by my religious leaders - more factually the opposite.  Also, for Bertster7 to throw in the abortion clinic bombings as a point of reference is just ignorance {look it up before you flame me}.  It really was one guy, who is a nut job, an extremest, a terrorist, a contradiction of faith, and condemned by all Christian groups.  When have you ever heard the Muslim leaders condeming the acts of terrorism today - most Imams said Jihad {terrrorism} is acceptable.
Please don't put the rest of us in that group.

I'd rather rally around a religion of tolerance, hold hands, and sing Cumbia any day over telling children to strap explosives around themselves and saying it's god's will to kill innocent people because they don't think the way we do.  "It's not the religion it's the perversions of it stupid"

Kaboom.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51

mKmalfunction wrote:

What your saying is true, getting rid of Religion will probably not take away the entire violence, but think about this. The Attack on 9/11 happened due to religion because the so called ''Allah'' commanded those bitches to go out there and kill American, same is for the suicide bombings, there religion ''so called, calls them to go and suicide'' So Religion does play a huge part in the violionce going on, but polictians also play a vital role.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard