mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6759|d
Yes iam sure everyone has heard this story, and those who haven't (http://www.itv.com/news/world_5cbae3408 … e48d0.html). This is what he said:

"He said, I quote, 'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached'."

Discuss.

I think it was a very bad idea saying this after the whole cartoon thing, and in general, remarks about such a sensitive subject should have been left for another day. And the whole intended thing is bullshit, how can you say for example "i hate all black people", and then say "i intended to say, i hate all black people who commit crimes" (i know it was not that direct but still).

On a side note, just want to say good luck to cpt.fass1. Peace man.
the_hitman_kills
Agent 47 wannabe
+32|6461|Inside my APC
i don't know what the pope was thinking. But seems to me, taking things out of context is the hip thing to do, especially when in regards to Islam, without second thought of the trouble it can cause.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6703|Germany
What the hell do you expect?

1. the Pope was Head of the Congegration of Faith as Cardinal... in other words... he was head of the Inquisition.

2. He is an old man with quite queer views

3. He is one of the most conservative in the Roman Catholic Church

4. He is a Bavarian.... that alone should say enough...
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6759|d

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

1. the Pope was Head of the Congegration of Faith as Cardinal... in other words... he was head of the Inquisition.

SO your sayin he should not be a pope in the first place ? what are you trying to say ?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6542|Doncaster, UK
Are you trying to imply the pope is a Nazi?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6438|Stealth City, UK

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

He was a Nazi....he was in the Hitler youth!!!!
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6542|Doncaster, UK
And CameronPoe was brought up as a Catholic but he ain't one any more!
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6759|d
COM ON, stay on topic, go flame the pope on another post PLEASE ffs.
twiistaaa
+87|6664|mexico
the only people who should be offended are his followers for choosing him.

muslims shouldnt be worried about it because it has nothing to do with them or their faith. its just someone elses view (or lack of). but i see that it could be used as a platform for a muslim who has problem with catholics/christians to attack with.

i'll take my athiest beliefs and worry about myself.

Last edited by twiistaaa (2006-09-15 05:17:44)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6542|Doncaster, UK
That was on topic. The topic is about the pope, the comments are about the pope. What's not on topic.

Bullet_Tooth is suggesting that his former affiliations are the root of this comment, and I'm saying that a person shouldn't be pigeonholed by their actions as a child.

Last edited by DoctorFruitloop (2006-09-15 05:25:01)

BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6703|Germany

mafia996630 wrote:

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

SO your sayin he should not be a pope in the first place ? what are you trying to say ?
Why shouldn't he be pope? After all he was elected... The thing is... being a staunch conservative paired with strict adherence to catholic dogmas plus some slight signs of old age like stubborness... it is not unexpected to get statements like these from him. But actually it is a general problem with the catholic church not being able to keep up with modern times.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6738|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

mafia996630 wrote:

Yes iam sure everyone has heard this story, and those who haven't (http://www.itv.com/news/world_5cbae3408 … e48d0.html). This is what he said:

"He said, I quote, 'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached'."

Discuss.

I think it was a very bad idea saying this after the whole cartoon thing, and in general, remarks about such a sensitive subject should have been left for another day. And the whole intended thing is bullshit, how can you say for example "i hate all black people", and then say "i intended to say, i hate all black people who commit crimes" (i know it was not that direct but still).

Why what a bullshit presentation the Pope didn't say the above statement, he quoted Emperor Manuel II Paleologos of the Byzantine Empire who said "' Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached' there is a big fucking difference, no?
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6739|Reality
Most Muslim clerics could say that he insulted Islam AND Mohammed and we all know what that would mean to radical Muslims. His days are numbered.

You can't stop an assassin willing to die.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6542|Doncaster, UK

Stubbee wrote:

Most Muslim clerics could say that he insulted Islam AND Mohammed and we all know what that would mean to radical Muslims. His days are numbered.

You can't stop an assassin willing to die.
M95 > Pope Mobile
IG-Calibre
comhalta
wow! hang on a second here: the discussion that the quote was used in was about the  historical and philosophical differences between Islam and Christianity, and the relationship between violence and faith.  Now using a quote in a discussion is hardly basis to inflame the Islamic world? now is it? At least the Catholic Church apologised for the Crusades and asked forgiveness leaving the thinking of the dark ages behind it, unlike Muslims and their Jihad bullshit.

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-09-15 06:53:47)

mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6759|d

IG-Calibre wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

Discuss.

Why what a bullshit presentation the Pope didn't say the above statement, he quoted Emperor Manuel II Paleologos of the Byzantine Empire who said "' Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached' there is a big fucking difference, no?
K so he quoted, i agree, SO go on clarify what he was trying to say for me.
one_of_ten
+7|6652|Brussels, Belgium

twiistaaa wrote:

the only people who should be offended are his followers for choosing him.

muslims shouldnt be worried about it because it has nothing to do with them or their faith. its just someone elses view (or lack of). but i see that it could be used as a platform for a muslim who has problem with catholics/christians to attack with.

i'll take my athiest beliefs and worry about myself.
QFE
IG-Calibre
comhalta

mafia996630 wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

Discuss.

K so he quoted, i agree, SO go on clarify what he was trying to say for me.
I dunno I haven't seen the entire speech, gotta link? but I somewhow don't think he stood up said "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." and sat down again

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-09-15 06:32:48)

commissargizz
+123|6459| Heaven
So can't the Pope criticize other faiths. Or do we have to be so PC as to not offend anyone. Do we all have to be silent, no views, no discussions, no learning????? If so ban all forums as I may get offended by something.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
Actually, the comment is completely out of context.  Islamic leaders are overreacting.

Part II - A Turkish leader compared the Pope to Hitler.  He didn't do it in an internet chat room either!!!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

buLLet_t00th wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

He was a Nazi....he was in the Hitler youth!!!!
As if many people from the area could help being swept up in that political hurricane back then.

IG-Calibre wrote:

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-15 06:57:28)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Islam and Christianity are ruining the world. That's my opinion.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Mekstizzle wrote:

Islam and Christianity are ruining the world. That's my opinion.
Um, no. That would be avarice and cruelty; something probably a bit older than religion.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-15 07:14:07)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

commissargizz wrote:

So can't the Pope criticize other faiths. Or do we have to be so PC as to not offend anyone. Do we all have to be silent, no views, no discussions, no learning????? If so ban all forums as I may get offended by something.
If you ask me anyone should be able to criticise anything. What isn't ok is inciting people to violence - which Popes have done in the past, remember the Crusades? I'm not suggesting this is anything similar though.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6759|d
yea you may be on to somthing IG-Calibre, just maybe.

commissargizz wrote:

A man in such a position as the pope should not be criticizing other faiths as openly as he did.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard