Poll

Does the media cover the 9/11 anniversary to much?

Yes they over do it. 48% 48% - 33 51% 51% - 35
No it Deserves all the coverage. 63% 63% - 43 36% 36% - 25
Total: 68
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6454|A drop house
The title says it all post an opinion if you have one personally I think yes they over do it a bit.

Last edited by N.A.T.O (2006-09-10 23:19:24)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6689|Canberra, AUS
Poll's fine, dw.

I think it should get SOME coverage - it is one of the defining moments of the 21st century. Whether it gets too much is yet to be seen.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6454|A drop house

Spark wrote:

Poll's fine, dw.

I think it should get SOME coverage - it is one of the defining moments of the 21st century. Whether it gets too much is yet to be seen.
News has been covering 9/11 for the past 8 days and every day its the same stories just  with different camera angels on 2996 flags or ground zero no offence but it should be broadcasted closer to the actual date not the week it falls on .I think it deserves attention to but not in the way or the amount the media are doing it.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6501|Melbourne

20 Minutes on Sunrise Early this morning, 2 Two part 9/11 series on TV about it. i think its coved enough
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Diray
+13|6476|København, Danmark
I think it's too much. I'm just plain tired of hearing about it now.
OVERDOSE.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6687|Colorado
They have to keep reminding us why we are at war...
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6730
at least for the slow people...  lol
Love is the answer
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6454|A drop house

TrollmeaT wrote:

They have to keep reminding us why we are at war...
Good point.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

Yawn. It shouldn't get all the coverage. There are much bigger attrocities that no one remembers. It was bad, but not as bad as it's hyped to have been.

What about the Rwandan genocide? That was much worse - no one televises the anniversary of that. But that's because they are poor people in general and so no one cares about them. How many died in 9/11 - a few thousand, in Rwanda about a million people were massacred, hacked to pieces with machetes - I think that's much worse.

What's the big deal about 9/11?

Just because they were American. Americans are no better than anyone else - everyone in the world has an equal right to life (unless of course they do something really bad, like genocide for example).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-09-11 06:04:51)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6564|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Bertster7 wrote:

Yawn. It shouldn't get all the coverage. There are much bigger attrocities that no one remembers. It was bad, but not as bad as it's hyped to have been.

What about the Rwandan genocide? That was much worse - no one televises the anniversary of that. But that's because they are poor people in general and so no one cares about them. How many died in 9/11 - a few thousand, in Rwanda about a million people were massacred, hacked to pieces with machetes - I think that's much worse.

What's the big deal about 9/11?

Just because they were American. Americans are no better than anyone else - everyone in the world has an equal right to life (unless of course they do something really bad, like genocide for example).
I totally agree, I actually find the whole thing disturbing watching on tele' as many of the American people they interview act (understandably I guess) as if it was the worst thing to happen to mankind in history or as if this is the only time terrorism has ever killed anyone.  Even on these forums I've read comments from our friends across the pond that imply that terrorism didn't exist until 11/09/2001.

The sad fact is, Americans (generally speaking) have either been shielded by their media or simply uncaring about past terrorist atrocities as it didn't affect them.

I have no problem with the US media covering the story every year as it was a massive event that happened on their soil, but it does annoy me that we have the same thing here in the UK when you know that the 7th of July bombings got no coverage in the States a year on. 

The only thing I would say is that I truly belive that terrorists are just as interested in getting recognised as they are in killing thousands of people and all this coverage is just helping them and not helping the victims who probably just want to be left to grieve in peace instead of having all the plastic sympathisers telling them 'they know how they must feel'........
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

If people were not interested it would not be covered as much. So blame the audience if you want.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6734|California

I would like to reiterate something. If 3,000 people died in your country on a single day, you would be mourning and remembering too.
=OBS= EstebanRey

Kmarion wrote:

If people were not interested it would not be covered as much. So blame the audience if you want.
That doesn't make sense.  I don't know about your news but we don't get an X-Factor/American Idol vote at the end of each show whereby we can choose what they cover.............
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
+145|6670|The View From The Afternoon
5 years have passed. I say get over it and start concerning about the present. Many people die unjustful every day without the media caring about it. Just because it happened in USA once, doesn't mean that the losses of those peoples lives are more important than the losses of starving children in Africa. Open your eyes
=OBS= EstebanRey

stryyker wrote:

I would like to reiterate something. If 3,000 people died in your country on a single day, you would be mourning and remembering too.
1)  Only if I knew one of the people personally.  As I said before there's no worse sympathy than the plastic sympathy of those who didn't lose anyone.

2)  In my country and pretty much every other country we have lost far more than 9/11 in various terrorist attrocities (what does it matter if it happened on one day or over 10 years?).

3)  We don't remembering the victims of Genghis Khan anymore, so there has to be a time where you say enough is enough.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6699|Espoo, Finland

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

That doesn't make sense.  I don't know about your news but we don't get an X-Factor/American Idol vote at the end of each show whereby we can choose what they cover.............
Do you know that they get very accurate statistics on which shows people watched?
That is how they know what people like and what they don't.

Probably last year the intrest in this event was huge and that's why it's been on the media so much.
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6594|England

stryyker wrote:

The thing is until this happened to the U.S.A you guys never really worried about terrorism,well actaully thats not true you helped the I.R.A and the Taliban with funding and training .But it was not carried out on your soil its happened to the UK,Spain and other countries many times before it happened to you guys and i do feel sorry for you but its time to drop all the TV coverage and let the families and friends remeber in there own way .
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

stryyker wrote:

1)  Only if I knew one of the people personally.  As I said before there's no worse sympathy than the plastic sympathy of those who didn't lose anyone.

2)  In my country and pretty much every other country we have lost far more than 9/11 in various terrorist attrocities (what does it matter if it happened on one day or over 10 years?).

3)  We don't remembering the victims of Genghis Khan anymore, so there has to be a time where you say enough is enough.
Their wives and Children are not still alive and mourning.
Once again people are using other tragedy's (African Children) as a tool to say that our nations biggest terrorist act shouldn't be so important.

If it's not important to you how about staying out of the threads that involve it? Like most do.
Move along if YOU care to otherwise allow the people who care discuss it do so.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-09-11 07:17:44)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6734|California

Knight`UK wrote:

stryyker wrote:

The thing is until this happened to the U.S.A you guys never really worried about terrorism,well actaully thats not true you helped the I.R.A and the Taliban with funding and training .But it was not carried out on your soil its happened to the UK,Spain and other countries many times before it happened to you guys and i do feel sorry for you but its time to drop all the TV coverage and let the families and friends remeber in there own way .
Embassy bombing, the 1st WTC bombing, the Marine barracks in Lebanon

Last edited by stryyker (2006-09-11 07:18:24)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

Knight`UK wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Turn the TV off?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Tunacommy
+56|6634|Massachusetts, USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

stryyker wrote:

to your point 1: you didn't have to know someone that died directly to sympathize with them/their families.  Seeing people jump out of a burning building falling 300 feet to their death doesn't cause you any sympathy?

to your point 2: the magnatute of this single event is what makes it important to remember - you could argue a cumulative death toll from general terrorism is greater than any single event - but the sheer volume of lives lost in the one event is cause for rememberance.

your point 3: don't you have a holiday for something called the Battle of the Boyne....I think that happened in 1690.....you should stop that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

The media is always tempted to mark significant dates for their audience. It's all about ratings.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-11 07:27:24)

Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6594|England
So what your saying is we MUST feel sorry and forced to remember this date ,and that you dont care about others and what has happened to there countries ??

You help make terrorism its bound to bite back one day .
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6615|132 and Bush

Knight`UK wrote:

So what your saying is we MUST feel sorry and forced to remember this date ,
Actually I don't give a damn how you feel. We are American, remember ?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Tunacommy
+56|6634|Massachusetts, USA

Knight`UK wrote:

So what your saying is we MUST feel sorry and forced to remember this date ,and that you dont care about others and what has happened to there countries ??

You help make terrorism its bound to bite back one day .
Not sure who you are responding to......but - who is telling you that you must feel sorry and remember the date - and that we don't care about what has happened to others? 

Remembering 9/11 and other important dates is not mutually exclusive....most people can remember more than one event.....just like most people form their own opinions of them (can someone REALLY force you to feel sorry?!?!)

"you help make terrorism its bound to bite back one day".....say again?  does not make sense.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard