uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Seems to be strange to be doing it now when they've had about a year to think about it.
without knowing they’ll get public approval?

yes seems sensible to scale up to produce hundreds of millions of units of an unapproved vaccine.

it must be the evil jews instead trying to kill everyone by *checks notes* holding up the rollout of a vaccine by 10 days.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 02:02:02)

uziq
+492|3422
larssen doing his ‘pre-lockdown stress rant about enjoying restaurant meals and how the old can die’ routine again.

it’s amazing how the scientifically illiterate ‘herd immunity’ lot have not gone away in a whole year.

widespread increased infection = increased rates of mutation = many more strains proliferate.

it’s not the ‘U.K. strain’. this winter in the last month we’re now worried about ‘south african variant’, ‘the brazil mutation’. it will happen everywhere in the world and at an increased rate so long as you let the virus firestorm.

but let’s encourage the virus to develop possibly vaccine-defeating mutations because larssen really misses restaurants

lmao we had this exact fucking discussion on the eve of the last lockdown for you, didn’t we? christ, deja vu.

european countries start mooting widespread lockdowns.
larssen, in six paragraphs: it’s time we start discussing the meaning of long life, and the benefits of living to be quite so very old, and this delicious rhone wine i haven’t tasted since last july ...

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 02:13:12)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

But you don't understand! The mutations appear out of nowhere and are probably the result of Chinese weapons labs. There's no way a new strain of a virus could form on its own.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

Dilbert_X wrote:

My uncle's partner is in hospital (uk) and isn't expected to survive, they're late seventies, she's had a severe heart condition since birth, he hasn't been instructed to have a test but presumably is infected too so likely bad news for him.
And she's gone. Not sure if my uncle is infected or not, pretty likely I guess.
Not sure how they got it, they were taking it in turns to go out with a mask once a week to buy stuff, that was it.

Its a bit sad, but she was old and I've dealt with a good few tragic deaths of relatively young people so this doesn't hit too hard.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Seems to be strange to be doing it now when they've had about a year to think about it.
without knowing they’ll get public approval?

yes seems sensible to scale up to produce hundreds of millions of units of an unapproved vaccine.

it must be the evil jews instead trying to kill everyone by *checks notes* holding up the rollout of a vaccine by 10 days.
Having spent a little time in manufacturing I can safely say there was no chance whatever of having a hiatus to increase production having had months sitting on their hands to plan this while waiting for approval and with orders in the bag.
These are deviations from long agreed schedules and which, checks notes, don't seem to have affected Israel.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

My uncle's partner is in hospital (uk) and isn't expected to survive, they're late seventies, she's had a severe heart condition since birth, he hasn't been instructed to have a test but presumably is infected too so likely bad news for him.
And she's gone. Not sure if my uncle is infected or not, pretty likely I guess.
Not sure how they got it, they were taking it in turns to go out with a mask once a week to buy stuff, that was it.

Its a bit sad, but she was old and I've dealt with a good few tragic deaths of relatively young people so this doesn't hit too hard.
Sorry to hear that still. It's a sobering thing all the same, I think. I'm not sure how I should go about supporting living relatives who aren't taking it well but not really willing to talk about it. I'm keeping track of one the best I can for unexpected mood swings.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'll probably have to speak to my uncle, its a weird situation in that he spent his life sponging off her as she had a council house and he was a notional lodger. I have no idea if he'll be a wreck or more concerned about where he's going to live and who's going to pay, either way its off the edge of my character sheet.
Going to be worse if he's infected.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-17 02:35:56)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's too bad Jay isn't around to tell us to come to our senses and send the rest of our old relatives off to covid camps so his children can enjoy a year of kindergarten.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Now any parent with a badly behaved and ill-disciplined attention deficit kid is going to be able to blame the Han-virus.

Now is a good time to buy pharmaceutical shares, can kids legally be given opiates?
Larssen
+99|1857
I think all of you have a hard time accepting what it would mean if the virus is truly endemic. What do you expect, a year more of intermittent lockdowns - two years? I know full well rapid mutation is due to disease spread. Maybe you didn't realise but at least 4-5 billion people on this planet cannot afford the luxury of working from home or/and don't have a supportive government. Whether we lock down will not infinitely prevent or guard against mutation.

We wouldn't be the first generation in history to suffer the consequences of events outside our control. Or is that possibility taboo as well?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so now ~5% of the world population infected, 2 million deaths, extrapolation gives us 400 million deaths and - pulling numbers out of my ass - 80 radical new mutations.

I think I'd pick a six month wait and hope the vaccines work over that, the economic system can adjust and kids were spending most of their time glued to computers in class and playing online games before this.

If it doesn't then we're proper fucked and six months won't matter.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

I think all of you have a hard time accepting what it would mean if the virus is truly endemic. What do you expect, a year more of intermittent lockdowns - two years? I know full well rapid mutation is due to disease spread. Maybe you didn't realise but at least 4-5 billion people on this planet cannot afford the luxury of working from home or/and don't have a supportive government. Whether we lock down will not infinitely prevent or guard against mutation.

We wouldn't be the first generation in history to suffer the consequences of events outside our control. Or is that possibility taboo as well?
i think you have a hard time understanding the basic epidemiological arguments. but sure, we're all headless chickens in a panic.

you having some anxiety-rant about another lockdown and sounding like jay is *chef's kiss*.

maybe we should behave like *checks notes* other generations in history and just treat this thing as a visitation from god? a plague? providence? perhaps if we let it blow through our communities unchecked and pray? we could cultivate a more enlightened view of dying, death, mortality; talk about the after-life and 'god's mysterious ways' and so on.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 03:32:20)

uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

weren't you literally saying in exasperation all of about 6 months ago that letting the virus levels rise will swamp our hospitals and lead to many, many more non-covid deaths? the UK has already had to cancel even pressing cancer treatments this winter because of the surge in covid-19 admissions. that very scenario is playing out in health systems all over the world dealing with this 'winter third wave'.

what happened to that reasoning? now you're happy for the virus to be treated as a fact of life?

what about long-covid in the young and middle-aged? a very depressing picture is emerging there as more and more data comes in.

why are you abandoning the standard epidemiological argument for this bad faith bullshit now? when we are literally 3-4 months away from having the at-risk population of europe vaccinated and protected? this isn't some indefinite proposal for infinite lockdowns and working from home until 2025. right now we have 3 major approved vaccines, with many more coming up, and a theoretically containable virus.

yes, we can't control the possibility of mutation for ever. just like we can't control the next 'big one', when that avian flu or SARS variant mutates and makes the fateful hop to humans again. nobody is proposing that we social distance and stay inside for the rest of human history, for fear of *any* bad event. the simple fact is that mutation rates increase when viral spreads increase, and so we are tempting fate right as we seem to have this thing sussed. very silly move.

go and have a walk and stop tantruming like jay. soon you'll be threatening to sacrifice each and every one of us so that you can go to a restaurant for a succulent chinese meal.
Larssen
+99|1857

Larssen wrote:

I'm not advocating to consider this now as I feel we should still hunker down and see if the vaccines are truly effective, but after this lockdown I can't see us go back in for a third.
uziq
+492|3422
well who is seriously proposing it?

'i think all of you have a hard time accepting what it would mean if the virus is truly endemic'.

everyone knows this. it has been declared for most of the last year that covid is here to stay.

the difference between a virus being contained with an annual vaccination program and being out of control (as it is now) is vast.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
They think the virus will eventually evolve to be less deadly and become a seasonal thing like the flu
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you keep coming up with the same ridiculous ideas thats what happens.

Great news though, we're holding an international tennis tournament - what could go wrong?
You stupid fuckers
More than 120 people, including 47 players, have been counted as close contacts of the three positive cases, who arrived on charter flights into Victoria from Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi on Friday morning.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-16/ … /13063920.
So now we have three infected planeloads, 170+ people in isolation, and a bunch of hotel rooms being ruined.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-17/ … s/13065434

The idea of allowing in 200+ people and letting them sidestep quarantine for a stupid tennis tournament was fucking retarded.
Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Its also worth noting all these people had a bat-flu test before they set off which was presumably negative, thank fuck they had one when they got here.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-17 13:34:01)

uziq
+492|3422
not the first time a tennis tournament specifically has caused covid chaos.

pretty sure djokovich arranged a complete shitshow in the balkans that went very badly, too.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Novak Djokovic issues list of demands for quarantined tennis players

- Fitness and training material in all rooms

- Decent food for all players, after a number of players complained about their food on day one of quarantine

- Fewer overall days of isolation for the players hotel quarantine, while also carrying out more COVID tests

- Permission for players to visit their coach or physical trainer, as long as both have passed COVID tests

- Permission for players and coaches to be on the same floor of the hotel, if they pass COVID tests

- Relocation of many tennis players as possible to private houses with a court for their isolation period

COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria Commissioner Emma Cassar slammed the door shut on Djokovic on Monday morning, telling radio 3AW there will be no changes to the conditions that players are dealing with.

“It’s a firm NO from me,” Cassar said.

The commissioner’s response is no surprise, considering she declared on Sunday: “the program is set up to keep people safe. We will not be modifying the program or watering it down under any circumstances.”

The demands also went down like a lead balloon among many tennis fans, who weren’t about to take COVID advice from the player who organised the ill-fated Adria Tour event.
https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/novak … -c-1978302
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Months old at this point but still a sterling example.

COVIDiot Carried Out of Grocery Store by His Son Amid Mask Meltdown at Employees: WATCH
https://www.towleroad.com/2020/08/dad-s … -covidiot/

video in link or on twitter
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
An Australian Open tennis player has tested positive for Covid-19 amid controversy over cases tied to the event.

At least nine infected people are in quarantine in Melbourne, officials say.

The staging of the international event has been debated in Australia given the country's very low virus numbers and strict entry rules.

Players have also expressed frustration about being confined to hotel rooms full-time while many rivals are not.

Organisers say the Grand Slam will go ahead despite the disruptions. The infected player has not been identified publicly.

Since Saturday, at least 72 players - and other staff - have been ordered to stay in their rooms for two weeks without leaving, after arriving on one of three flights with infected travellers.

A total of 15 chartered flights have brought over 1,200 players, staff and officials into Australia for the tournament on 8 February.
Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.

The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.

Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus' escalation in other nations.

Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia's early action to close its borders last March.

"I think that we'll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

"Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don't know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus," he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue "for some time".

Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.
How fucking stupid.
uziq
+492|3422
the world seems to bend over for spectacular sporting events.

japan has had entirely closed borders for most of 2021, even to its own returning citizens, and yet, on the back of an out-of-control third wave and multiple states-of-emergency declared across the country ... despite this, they are pressing ahead with the summer olympics.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not even spectacular, tennis is about the 9th most popular spectator sport here so who really gives a shit?

Way too much time and resource has been expended unproductively on spectator sports by the people on your planet.
uziq
+492|3422
on 'my' planet? have you ascended to another plane altogether now then, lord dilbius?

a 'spectacle' is something that gathers many people together to watch. a tennis grand tour is very much a spectacle.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-18 02:54:49)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Doesn't really gather many people at all, 15,000 can watch a few hours of tennis once a year, 100,000 routinely turn out for five days of cricket multiple times a year and many shorter matches besides, not that I care about either.

Don't forget these 1200 would not have been subject to the 14 day quarantine for everyone else, they would have been in and out from the hotel to the sports ground, gathering in groups, utterly stupid in the current climate and bearing in mind every outbreak which has thankfully been squashed has been traced to a new set of international arrivals.

With no attendant spectators spending money the economic benefit is exactly nil. Maybe there was some other agenda, lifting spirits, reminding the world Australia is getting back to normal, probably it wasn't thought through.

Many people are rightfully pissed about this.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-18 03:04:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard