uziq
+492|3451
terribly out of date on the figures already but

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYGR6uxU4AE3nSr?format=jpg&name=900x900

trump really did pull out that "90,000 is a terrible number ... but it's a tiny percentage!" line today on the dais, as well. it is fucking grotesque.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

yes, sure, i'm the dumb one and you're still talking about 'invasion day'. keep peering through your blinds at the new chinese family on the street! keep an eye on them buddy! you be vigilant. make sure to subtly quiz them at the bus stop on australian values!
I'm sure you're unconcerned about Russians buying up Britain.

most of them come for a year and do it in a desultory fashion. the universities are eager for their immense cash, and upwardly mobile chinese families are eager for the prestige. they take western degrees purely to 'get ahead' of the competition back home. but back home is where they invariably end up going. that is where they want to build their lives. they believe in the future of their country.

as for why they are relying on western universities rather than their own: it's complicated. but china is investing massively in its own university sector, and a good number of its undergraduate institutions are as competitive and esteemed as any western counterparts. sending your child abroad to study for a year will always be a high-status thing. westerners do it too. americans in paris, french in london, brits in america, etc. it's part of that 'cultural education' and 'rounding out' that you scoff at so much. and then you wonder why people look sideways at your weird ingrown opinions.
Here they do the full degree or masters with the intention of staying and gaining residence.

I guess China is less interested in Europe, probably leaving it to Putin.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
i'd like to see some numbers on how many international students get visas/equivalents and settle in australia. these sort of things are precisely tracked, you know. please provide them.

in the UK something like 5% of international students stay after their study to work. that's stay for a spell of post-study work, not settle permanently. almost 1/5 of all students in UK universities are now international students, with chinese being far and away the biggest group.  UK residents can't afford the fees without incurring lifetime debt.

https://i.imgur.com/aVpij5P.png

Study visas are temporary and do not provide a direct route to settlement. Among non-EU migrants issued an initial study visa in 2013, 16% still had valid leave to remain around five years later at the end of 2018. Around 4% (around 6,600) held work visas, 10% (around 16,000) were still on study visas, and 0.1% (around 250) had settlement (Figure 7). The remaining 84% had an expired visa, and so would have been required to leave.

Home Office exit checks data show that at least 98% of non-EU students left on time. This figure represents the minimum level of compliance with visa duration, because the departures of many people go unrecorded (see Home Office, 2019b; 2019c).

There are differences between national groups in their status five years after initially coming to the UK on a study visa. For example, Indians are four times more likely than Chinese students to have a work visa, while Chinese students are more than twice as likely as Indians to have a study visa (Figure 7).
wow, 250 foreign students a year settling here! 0.1% of the total! it’s an exodus! the jews leaving slavery in egypt!

it's really funny that you think privileged chinese kids studying abroad is signs of them 'wanting to escape', or 'preferring the west'. no, dilbert. it's a form of social signalling by their families that they have that 'fuck you' money. $100,000 later and your kid comes home with a 'harvard' or 'cambridge' hoody and all the neighbours nod approvingly. and how did they get that fuck you money? make u think dilderp. they must be really unhappy in china.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-15 18:48:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Most international students who come to study in Australia wish to reside here permanently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati … l_students

A huge cohort come to do accounting, maths-easy but a reliable pathway, they're not doing pretentious subjects their parents can brag about.
uziq
+492|3451
lol you who criticise every source i put up here cites wikipedia .. the citation for that claim ('they intend to stay here permanently') is a ... guardian article ... that mentions nothing about chinese students' aims to settle in australia permanently. good job, scientist.

anyway. doesn't seem like there's any substantiation to that claim on the wikipedia at all. i can't find any figures to support it anywhere. a convenient half-truth you didn't think to check because it suits your assumptions. good job, scientist.

Universities Australia Deputy Chief Executive Anne-Marie Lansdown said the record amount of foreign students isn't just a boon to the education sector.

'Our world-class universities attract students from all over the globe, bringing vast benefits to Australians and the nation,' Ms Lansdown said.

'And the buck doesn't stop with us – that $32billion flows on into the entire Australian economy, generating jobs, supporting wages, and lifting the living standards of Australians.

'International education is a modern Australian success story – built from the ground up over six decades to become the nation's third-largest export and the envy of the world.'

Ms Lansdown added that a majority of international students return to their home country.

'Australians develop powerful personal and professional relationships, and long-lasting cultural, diplomatic and trade ties when students from overseas spend their formative years here,' she said.

'And when international students return home from their studies – which the vast majority do – this creates a powerful network of global alumni with great affection for Australia.'
chinese students overwhelmingly do math/business/accounting courses here, too. it has nothing to do with subject and everything to do with the bragging rights of educating your child at expensive foreign schools, or of having the same on your CV for a corporate career.. how is this not fucking obvious to you? why does it need to be explained? it's a well-established phenomenon. are you really so lost in ethno-dreamland that you think the chinese are desperate to get into the west? christ alive. go and talk to some people.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-15 19:16:07)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Many do intend to stay here, but its harder than it looks, the majority do leave.

Until it was made harder many sent one kid here, got a degree and permanent residence then went back.
Its not hard to see why.
uziq
+492|3451
ok, more vague statements, no data or fact. we’re still in jay cuckoo land.

amazing how the scientists on this forum can instantly debunk a paper or a report in minutes, dismiss a model, attack a dataset, undermine a methodology, but when you ask them to substantiate some ludicrous statement like ‘most asians would rather live in the west than totalitarian asia’ (source: i have spoken to some settled emigres at work one time), and ‘here they come to do a degree with the intention of staying and gaining residence’ (source: your sweatstained bedsheet, rucked by nightmares) ... well then there’s no data or source whatsoever.

100,000s of young chinese study abroad in the US, UK, and australia each year. their order of preference is roughly in that order. there are surveys and data online about their motivations and views of studying abroad. you can find them. there’s even a long piece in the daily mail, that shitrag, which offers more in the way of actual facts than you can put forward. half a million 19-23 year olds are not trying to flee their country and ‘seek permanent residence’ elsewhere. definitely not when mummy and daddy are still at home paying $100,000 a year for their luxury student accommodation and adventure. these are the children of the newly minted upper-middle class, the elites.

do you and jay really think you seem anything other than totally stupid when you come out with this shit? jay literally just said a page ago ‘if the chinese are so happy then why do 10,000s every year emigrate to the states?’ as if that rounding fraction means anything in terms of their national attitudes.

Its not hard to see why.
yes, it is, actually. which is rather our whole point. the chinese middle-class are growing at a rapid rate. they are affluent. there are lots of jobs. it's a whole lot less effort to get a well-paying job back home, settle down, marry and meet your parents' expectations than it is to deracinate yourself. in comparison, the middle-class in the US/UK are shrinking, and being ever more squeezed. what young graduate today expects a better life than their parents? which average middle-class family has $100,000s spare for their kid's education, even? what are you not getting about this picture?

further, if you think newly rich chinese are sending their children abroad to settle and leave forever, you are sorely mistaken. they don't like the west very much, paradoxically. they certainly don't want their prize children to 'go native' and marry a westerner, and transfer the family prestige and wealth out of their social system. the children undergoing elite educations are trophies to the families back home, not desperate one-way tickets out of china.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-16 02:14:31)

Larssen
+99|1887
Tourism within europe will be reopened come june. Let's see how that'll pan out.
uziq
+492|3451
the EU doesn't have the willpower to nationalise or bail out its airlines. only the banks.

the pesky southerners are all suffering local economic collapse. after the EU gave the costa del sol fancy new motorways! ungrateful.

i don't think flight numbers will be up for another 3-4 years. the airlines here are predicting a long, slow resumption of 'normal' traffic.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-16 01:58:41)

Larssen
+99|1887
Plenty countries have already arranged bail out packages for big national airlines.

Yes the south isn't doing too well and some tourism may help economic recovery. Schengen tourism is allowed and I suppose if people aren't idiots they'll choose to visit the normally overlooked places in Italy.

How's the UK doing? When are you leaving again?
uziq
+492|3451
we're out with no deal. there will be tears in all of our eyes at that point. of joy, it turns out.

ironically i was steadfast pro-remain a year or so ago, but after reading your posts here and getting a strong 'jonestown' vibe from your kool aid breath, frankly i can't wait to get out. creepy environment. only a matter of time before the uncles start molesting the nephews.

if people aren't idiots they'll choose to visit the normally overlooked places in Italy.
don't kid yourself. the germans will be packing the south coast of spain and the tourist resorts of lake garda etc in italy. like usual.

a spanish friend has already told me that news there is rife with amusing stories about how every spanish family has booked their 12 days in the canaries already.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-16 02:07:47)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Democrats in the house passed a $3 trillion relief bill. It has no chance in the Senate. Analyst are calling it more of an opening offer than anything.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1887
Not surprised because your default reaction to literally any political leaning is disdain and derision. I suppose you were only pro remain because the rest of the country was majority leave, not because you had the faintest clue about the EU or why it's a good thing to stay.

Don't worry I won't pressure you on your political leanings, I know that rubs you the wrong way and provokes attacks on people's personalities.
uziq
+492|3451
i was pro-remain because i am pro-european. i have been educated that way, i am cosmopolitan, outlooking. i did part of a postgraduate degree on french literature. i have great affection for europe. but europe is not the EU and too many remainers, the most stalwart and emotional among them, couldn't seem to separate the two. separation from the EU, it turns out, isn't a rejection of european culture tout court.

reading the neoliberal triumphalism and 'that's progress, folks' rhetoric from technocratic eggheads such as yourself has given me a new view on the EU bureaucracy. it seems parasitical and befuddled by its own orthodoxies. i don't see any original thinking or creative solutions in the EU. we are going through a TV re-run of the economic crisis and you have the same broken solutions again which have caused the continent to spiral into right-wing populism. so now i'm more like agnostic, even though the indecision riles you. it is what it is.

i used to believe, broadly, that blocs were A Good Thing. that bargaining power needs to be scaled up to compete with the superpowers on the world stage. like you, i believed that sacrificing local autonomy and throwing farmers, workers, etc. into the gyre of a global system was the price to pay for entry into this world order. now i don't really care and think it's immaterial, either way. neither the US nor china are 'friends of the EU', the trading bloc will always come a dismal third at the global table; and in the meanwhile, individual states could probably find better ways to survive on the scraps from the table.

the EU is just as full of its own bluster as any nationalist movement. i am depressed by the brexiteers. they do not seem to be engaged with reality, burying themselves away in ww2-era kitsch. but i don't think the pan-european smooth-talkers are really reckoning with reality, either. the simple fact of the matter is, without merkel and rapidly approaching another widespread economic recession (if not a disaster-depression), the EU will be thrown into the doldrums. the post-merkel EU is not at all necessarily going to be the beacon of hope, economic prudence, and cool rationality that it has preferred to present itself as up to now. good luck selling those tough fiscal packages to the south when the people selling them are no longer united behind merkel-macron, and instead look like a bickering bunch of nationalists themselves.

the people with the most collective will to see the EU succeed are the formerly marginal and newer states with the least to contribute and the most to gain from it. the dutch and danes are fairly sick of it. large portions of germany are fairly sick of it. france has been in a state of nonstop social unrest and protest for years, mostly directed at macron the neolib-EU poster boy. the UK, mortal enemies as we now are, was a huge part of its lifeblood. we're gone and we're not going to pay the tab. the EU's leadership and will are evaporating.

tough times are ahead.

and remind me what the EU did for italy and spain when they were the early forerunners in the epidemic, again? there was almost zero collective will to do anything. about a pandemic. on their own doorstep. the response was so shabby and piss-poor that the EU offered an official apology to italy for leaving it on its own to struggle with a collapsing health system. so much for all that bonhomie, eh? is the EU's only form of 'crisis response' getting the rich northern banks to reluctantly loan money to devastated states long after the fact? no thanks.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-16 03:34:57)

uziq
+492|3451

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Democrats in the house passed a $3 trillion relief bill. It has no chance in the Senate. Analyst are calling it more of an opening offer than anything.
the more i read about this, the more depressed i am about the democrats. half of these bills are aid packages to lobbyists and corporate special interests. they were throwing all sorts of shit into the 'aid package'. there's so much cynicism and naked self-interest at work in american politics, even during a national crisis like this.

the american worker needs rescuing and the democrats get together and seem to spend a lot of their effort scratching the backs of their friends. it is not good for their credibility, is it?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
The Republicans are the ones who add on a bunch of special interest spending when the bills reach the senate. The democrats hold up the bills to add stuff that provides relief for common people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Republicans are the ones who add on a bunch of special interest spending when the bills reach the senate. The democrats hold up the bills to add stuff that provides relief for common people.
well, yes, broadly, except when democrat stimulus bills seem to be mostly aimed at rescuing corporate america than blue-collar joes.

don't get me wrong, the dems are a lot better for working america than the republicans. but they still pander to a lot of special interests. it's just depressing to see. there's a bunch of stuff in the latest bill about the marijuana industry ffs.
uziq
+492|3451
https://i.imgur.com/IyQwQd2.jpg

it's absolutely wild how asymmetrical covid's impacts have been on american society.

the vast majority of rich new yorkers simply left. meanwhile you're about 5x as likely to die if you're black or latino.

and jay, living in the NJ suburbs, thinks everyone should get back to work, and can't understand the 'cowardice' of those workers who have misgivings.

make u think

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-16 03:36:04)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dumbest thing you've said in a while. The Democrats represent Silicon Valley, Wall Street, trial lawyers, public sector workers and the health care industry. They mouth the words about caring for the little guy, or at least throwbacks like Biden do, but the people in Congress only care about the people funding their reelection campaigns. You are not their constituency, Mark Zuckerberg and your teachers union are because you cough up.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

it's absolutely wild how asymmetrical covid's impacts have been on american society.

the vast majority of rich new yorkers simply left. meanwhile you're about 5x as likely to die if you're black or latino.

and jay, living in the NJ suburbs, thinks everyone should get back to work, and can't understand the 'cowardice' of those workers who have misgivings.

make u think
I don't live in the New Jersey suburbs, macbeth does. Don't insult me like that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
i thought all of new jersey was a garden suburb. do you live in newark? hoboken?

i’m reading a book about the pine barrens. you’d make a good piney.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
North Jersey is a mix of industrial wasteland, fens, and post war housing developments with no soul. The diner and the shopping mall is what Jersey is.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
i didn’t know what a cranberry bog was until an hour ago.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/IE232jP.png
uziq
+492|3451
one for dylan dorp:
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n09 … -netanyahu

covid-19 has rescued bibi in israel from inevitable corruption charges and a political ousting.

on the orthodox:
The most severely affected section of the population has been the ultra-Orthodox community. In the city of Bnei Brak, just east of Tel Aviv, there are almost 12 cases per 1000 people. Celebrations for the Purim holiday, which involve drinking, dancing, costumes and masks, were held as usual on 9-10 March – in most cases with no restrictions at all – and seem to have accelerated the spread of the virus. Much of the subsequent criticism was directed at the health minister, Yaakov Litzman, an ultra-Orthodox rabbi who later himself became infected with Covid-19: he had specifically exempted ultra-Orthodox institutions from the general restrictions. But some secular Israelis – in a disturbing echo of the way Jews in Europe were accused of ‘spreading the plague’ during the Black Death – have turned on the ultra-Orthodox community as a whole, one of Israel’s poorest groups, many of them living in densely populated neighbourhoods and choosing to have little access to television, radio and the internet.
further similarities:
As finance minister under Ariel Sharon (2003-5) and as prime minister (2009-20, or, if the latest polls are to be believed, until the end of time), Netanyahu has pursued the cause of privatisation and neoliberal economics while neglecting basic services and investment in public health. According to the Gini index, Israel was the most unequal state in the OECD between 2013 and 2015; it moved up to second most unequal in 2016 when the US took the bottom spot. A report published last year by the Taub Centre for Social Policy Studies made it clear how low down the list of government priorities Israel’s public services are: there are 2.2 hospital beds per 1000 people compared to an OECD average of 3.6, or 4.1 in countries with similar healthcare systems. The report also revealed acute inequality in hospital services between Israel’s centre and its periphery, and the absence of any kind of plan for the future of the health system. Revealingly, when Covid-19 began to spread in Israel, Netanyahu ordered Mossad to undertake a secret shopping expedition in the Arabian Gulf (probably the UAE) to buy up 500,000 coronavirus testing kits for Israel’s use. The decision says as much about the government’s neglect of public services as it does about its generalised panic.

Meanwhile, the government has done nothing to alleviate the concerns of the more than one million Israelis – 24 per cent of the workforce – who are currently unemployed. When the government announced its £18 billion plan to support the economy during the emergency, it came as no surprise that the money wouldn’t be released to those who had lost everything overnight but would take the form of loans to be advanced only to businesses with acceptable reorganisation plans. This wasn’t about helping businesses in a time of crisis: it was about forcing them to adopt the government’s way of thinking.

Naomi Klein’s The Shock Doctrine has been mentioned over and over again in the last few weeks: in the Israeli case, when disaster struck, there were hands, not necessarily invisible, intent on shifting the state’s responsibilities onto its citizens. And the state uses all the resources at its disposal to keep those citizens in line: while the ‘heroic’ Mossad has been operating behind enemy lines to sneak coronavirus testing kits into Israel, Shin Bet has stepped up its surveillance of ordinary people, tracking the movements of mobile phones. Netanyahu has made unstinting use of emergency regulations; he has sought to paralyse the work of the Knesset and the courts; he has set up a ‘unity government’ to pursue his own agenda. Gantz – the one person who was in a position to replace him, through an alliance with the representatives of Israel’s 1.6 million Arabs – has now surrendered any chance of a more democratic Israel in favour of supporting the prime minister’s anti-democratic legacy. For Netanyahu the prognosis is good. For Israel, the future will be at least as bad as the past

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-17 04:14:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard