SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

I felt the same way in the army. I hate working for people when I'm significantly smarter.

Teachers have really done the country a disservice by telling every smart kid to go off to college while scoffing at people going into the trades.
I don't think individual teachers did that as much as the education finance/capital machine convinced middle class boomers to create a system that pushes their derpy kids into higher education. Teachers are well aware which kids are not college material and which ones are at risk of 27 clubbing it.

Have you ever heard of the "4-14 window" Evangelicals in education and home schooling discuss? You are a dad now and that might be relevant to you. I am not trolling. It is an interesting concept from them that I think has a lot of merit.
No, but it makes sense. It's probably why children's services away from the main service became so popular. I remember when I was a kid I used to harass my dad about not being a believer or going to church. My grandparents were pretty hardcore born-agains and raised me to be one, right up until they retired to Florida when I was in 5th grade. After that I became an atheist. Now I'm just apathetic.
I thought you were Catholic. You are Protestant?!

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-02-15 13:08:08)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
jay talks up his scandinavian credentials. do you really think he'd be catholic?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I looked past that entirely. It certainly explains a lot though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
He said he went to Catholic school.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

He said he went to Catholic school.
Quaker
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
https://i.imgur.com/Gt6okBM.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It gets better for you. My wife is catholic, but we're raising the kids Lutheran because I'm not letting my children within 50 yards of a catholic priest.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
just home school em so the only chance of molestation comes from family members
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Larssen
+99|1883
This makes no sense whatsoever. Quakers, catholics and lutherans are worlds apart in their religious interpretations and thinking. If the differences among the denominations mean so little I'd reckon your faith is at a point where you ought to question why you're going to church at all.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-02-15 15:26:20)

uziq
+492|3448

Larssen wrote:

This makes no sense whatsoever. Quakers, catholics and lutherans are worlds apart in their religious interpretations and thinking. If the differences among the denominations mean so little I'd reckon your faith is at a point where you ought to question why you're going to church at all.
to americans it's just fancy labels to add an air of vague exoticism to their boring-ass suburban kids.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

The high school I went to was founded in the Quaker faith. I was raised in the Baptist faith on my mother's side (because my grandfather met Billy Graham and converted from Lutheran), and Lutheran on my father's. My wife was raised Catholic.

Of the protestant faiths, I feel that Lutheran is closest to Catholicism and would make my wife most comfortable, so we chose that.

If I was flying solo, I'd pick Quaker Meetings.

Last edited by Jay (2020-02-15 16:17:01)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Jay is going to send his kids to Jesus Camp every year.

https://youtu.be/wiYFRmNuz9k
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Wait a minute, the self-reliant libertarian rationalist is split between Baptist, Catholic and Quaker and gone with Lutheranism?

I was going to have an aneurysm before I remembered american religion is more about social status than actual faith.

That reminds me, our neighbours are Lutherans and they always look askance at the cat even though they have a cat themselves, is there some thing about letting animals in the house?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-02-15 22:15:45)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
they probably just find it creepy that a wifeless, childless grown man is living at home and cooing after a cat all day long. i’d be uncomfortable as well.
Larssen
+99|1883

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

The high school I went to was founded in the Quaker faith. I was raised in the Baptist faith on my mother's side (because my grandfather met Billy Graham and converted from Lutheran), and Lutheran on my father's. My wife was raised Catholic.

Of the protestant faiths, I feel that Lutheran is closest to Catholicism and would make my wife most comfortable, so we chose that.

I mean the reformation happened for some pretty good reasons, there's very marked differences between protestantism and catholicism especially when it comes to salvation, sin and religious organisation. Quakers and lutherans also seriously diverge on predestination and all that. At the end of the day it really depends on what you want your kids to learn from church & the bible.

I was raised in a calvinist household but left the religion in my teenage years.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-02-16 00:34:27)

uziq
+492|3448
i guess i can see what he’s saying, in that in the modern american sense at least, lutheran probably seems quite old-timey and traditional. but to anyone with an ounce of sense saying lutheranism is ‘most like’ catholicism is an utterly retarded sentence.

we have a joke over here that goes something like ... when two lowlanders get together, they form a congregation. when a third joins, there’s a schism.

the only sensible choice is mild anglicanism. sorry fellas.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-16 00:36:36)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Oh God is this so true. I have never met a single auto technician who wanted their kids to become auto techs. One of the techs I knew was so proud of the fact that his kid joined the military and is now a Presidential Honor Guard. He rather his kid take a soldiers salary to hold a flag for Trump than to make $100,000ish a year putting transmissions together.
There's nothing romantic about trades jobs, there's also nothing to be sneered at either, they're important jobs and need to be done by someone.

I find it amazing that uziq sneers at bricklayers who earn more than him for holding an opinion which doesn't match his own. Bricklayers, who are amongst the hardest working and most socially useful people humanity has had for millennia. Didn't stonemasons form the first guilds?

I think the problem is uziq sneers at anyone and everyone who isn't him and who doesn't hold the same world view.
Anyone who holds a different view is stupid, lazy, poor, uneducated, brainwashed, prejudiced etc.

Larssen for example:

uziq wrote:

larssen is from some working-class area in a place like belgium or the netherlands, i guess, two of the most racist places i have ever been to. i'm not surprised he has some unreconstructed red-neck beliefs
Wow, maybe uziq is the one who mindlessly parrots arguments based on prejudice closed-mindedness - how would he know he wasn't?

Maybe Jay is, somehow, right in that it all stems from a deep sense of insecurity, all this insulting, ridiculing, belittling and punching both down and up.

It must be a killer to know that Britain, Brexit etc are now being run by a kind of doppel-uziq in the form of Dominic Cummings, basically exactly the same person with the same arrogance who has led a paralled - but better - life and who holds pretty well the opposite view on everything.

he was educated at Durham School and Exeter College, Oxford, where he studied under Norman Stone, graduating in 1994 with a First in Ancient and Modern History. One of his professors has described him as “fizzing with ideas, unconvinced by any received set of views about anything.” He was “something like a Robespierre – someone determined to bring down things that don’t work”.

Cummings worked for Conservative politician Michael Gove from 2007 to January 2014, first in opposition and then, after the 2010 general election, as a special adviser (spad) in the Department for Education (DfE). He was Gove's chief of staff, an appointment blocked by Andy Coulson until his own resignation.
In this capacity, Cummings wrote an essay titled "Some thoughts on education and political priorities", about transforming Britain into a "meritocratic technopolis"; the essay was described by Guardian journalist Patrick Wintour as "either mad, bad or brilliant – and probably a bit of all three".

At the DfE Cummings became known for his blunt style and "not suffering fools gladly"; he railed against the "blob", the informal alliance of senior civil servants and teachers who, in Cummings's opinion, sought to frustrate his attempts at reform.
Cummings was also outspoken regarding other senior politicians, describing Nick Clegg's proposals on free school meals as "Dreamed up on the back of a cigarette packet", and David Davis as "thick as mince" and "lazy as a toad".
Patrick Wintour described the Cummings-Gove working relationship: "Gove, polite to a fault, would often feign ignorance of his adviser’s methods, but knew full well the dark arts that Cummings deployed to get his master’s way". In 2014, Prime Minister David Cameron described Cummings as a "career psychopath", although the two had never met.
It must be like looking in a strange kind of mirror, some things are the same, some reversed.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-02-16 04:07:57)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
lmao me compared to dominic cummings. my university WhatsApp group will love this. it's one big dominic cummings joke.

you missed a trick being a psychotherapist dilbert! or a tarot reader, perhaps.

don't let's talk about prejudice when you seem to think that, by dint of studying humanities, everyone is a proto-dominic cummings. i know you went to a science-only university and don't hang around with anyone who is more engaged in culture beyond re-selling lady gaga concert tickets, but, really, that background and arc pretty just as well describes half of all university graduates ffs

also where have i sneered at bricklayers? this is a bit lazy of you. i have never sneered at bricklayers. i said you can stop recycling the fatuous tabloid arguments in favour of discriminating against polish tradespeople, because evidently english bricklayers are doing fine. in every. single. post. i have said that i'm perfectly happy to see them doing fine. but to say that poles aren't welcome in the UK requires a bit better justification than invoking the 'honest british tradie', who by all accounts has hardly been wiped out by competition from the continent.

i hardly think it implies 'insecurity' on my part to disagree with the worst aspects of the blue-collar worldview, whenever and wherever it is found, i.e. its parochialism, narrow-mindedness, ignorance and unconcern with the wider world or politics, etc. why should such things be given a pass just because they're systemic? ignorance is never a good look, though you jump to defend it when it coincides with your own prejudices.

which, by the way, you still haven't addressed at all. can you actually substantiate anything you've said about migrant workers from europe and their supposedly terrible effects? linking dominic cummings' wikipedia (have you just heard of him today or something?) is very neat and interesting, but it isn't really the point.

also my grandfather is a freemason. what about the history of the trades? weren't poets and troubadours venerated figures in the societies of the same time? didn't early bricklayers and guilds arrange huge medieval pageants and plays, going to great lengths and expense to build stages and put on cycles of religious allegory? weren't dramatic performances, readings, culture, in short, a huge part of guild life and their civic pride? what is your fucking point in invoking the history? lmao you dipshit.

https://www.coventrysociety.org.uk/js/plugins/imagemanager/files/cov_soc/mysteries/Mysteries_1.jpg

classic dilbert. those people you invoke were more like me than you, you ignoramus.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-16 04:39:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I mean the reformation happened for some pretty good reasons, there's very marked differences between protestantism and catholicism especially when it comes to salvation, sin and religious organisation. Quakers and lutherans also seriously diverge on predestination and all that. At the end of the day it really depends on what you want your kids to learn from church & the bible.

I was raised in a calvinist household but left the religion in my teenage years.
Yes, I'm aware of the differences. My wife wanted the kids to start going to church. I balked at raising them Catholic and convinced her that Lutheran is as close as protestantism gets, which is superficially true. She didn't think sitting through hours long silent Quaker meetings was appealing or likely to be tolerated by the boys.

I understand that to Europeans this is all weird, but Americans don't have the history or emotional baggage tied to any specific sect.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
i mean, there has been huge amounts of anti-catholic bias and prejudice expressed by the WASP elite. it's probably a big reason why irish, italians, polish, etc were all denigrated and stereotyped at various times in the history of their integration. but obviously america was founded by people fleeing the part where you'd get burned or mobbed in the street for having the wrong faith.

selling your catholic wife on protestantism just basically means that religion is not a major part of your lives, in any meaningful sense. there are not superficial differences between them. this is O K. most people raising families just have religion there as a way of structuring family life, raising respectable kids, etc. this is pretty much exactly what i say about the vast majority of muslims when dilbert goes on one of his 'they are incompatible with western societies' rants. their faith is about as pertinent as your household's christianity.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-16 06:28:31)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i mean, there has been huge amounts of anti-catholic bias and prejudice expressed by the WASP elite. it's probably a big reason why irish, italians, polish, etc were all denigrated and stereotyped at various times in the history of their integration. but obviously america was founded by people fleeing the part where you'd get burned or mobbed in the street for having the wrong faith.

selling your catholic wife on protestantism just basically means that religion is not a major part of your lives, in any meaningful sense. there are not superficial differences between them. this is O K. most people raising families just have religion there as a way of structuring family life, raising respectable kids, etc. this is pretty much exactly what i say about the vast majority of muslims when dilbert goes on one of his 'they are incompatible with western societies' rants. their faith is about as pertinent as your household's christianity.
Yep, that's all it is. Community and structure. My wife likes the ritual.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
yep, i get it. it's the form of religion that i'm happy to see in pluralistic, modern societies. including islam.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
You could have just stayed with Catholicism and not leave your kid around priest unsupervised. That makes a lot more sense than you and you wife picking up an entirely new branch of Christianity and leaving a billion person denomination she was raised in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I was raised a protestant
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
But not Lutheran. I was raised Catholic but that doesn't mean I would or could just pick up Eastern Orthodox.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard