unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Meanwhile roads and bridges all over Washington are rotting into oblivion and "highway expansion" is a running gag.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.
Ah yes the living-in-constant-fear citizen. Seen a lot of bridges around here collapse from old age have you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

You're seriously going to use that to belittle? Remember the Skagit collapse? I drove over the damn thing not too long before it happened. So yeah, I take it a bit personally, along with all the potholes I circumnavigate regularly, and every mile I spend in bumper-to-bumper highway traffic that I could've been using to do something productive or fun.

Living in fear, 2016. Puh-lease.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.
Wait, are you arguing traffic? Yeah that's what the tunnel is for. And that bridge was hit by a truck.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Yes.

The tunnel project could have been scrapped for another elevated highway. Not ideal either and nearly as stupid. Or simply replace it with a surface street and redirect funds to improving other streets and I-5 itself. As for the Skagit bridge, the overhead structure had been damaged a half-a-year or so before, and the bridge was already considered structurally obsolete.

How Mercer and 520 Hurt Seattle Traffic - http://seattletransitblog.com/2016/04/1 … e-traffic/
$900,000 mistake on Tacoma road construction project - http://legacy.king5.com/story/news/loca … /12885168/
Washington 2013 Report Card GPA : C - http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org … structure/ (roads & transit D+)

So am I actually living in fear or am I simply sick of hearing about the Seattle tunnel when I am playing chicken with axle-rattling holes, or of being stuck in three hours of traffic because everyone is queuing up for a single-lane offramp while we all watch the occasional unoccupied ghost train ferrying no one from point a to b, or of warily eying the rusty supports of any number of old bridges that I cross?

ffs
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.
The bridge was hit by a truck. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if it was hit by a truck, it would have fallen around the same day anyway due to lack of repairs?

Your view on transit pretty short-sighted. Transit change doesn't fix immediate issues so it's a waste of money? C'mon. Should we have kept mercer how it was? I-5 is a complete mess, true, but should we do nothing to attempt fix it?

Are you referring to the light rail? have you ever ridden it at all let alone during rush hour? It's fucking packed.

And ho-ly shit, replace 99 by redirecting it to surface roads? In belltown? During rush hour? I KNOW you know better than that.

edito: kant spel

Last edited by pirana6 (2016-04-29 09:17:14)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

pirana6 wrote:

They put sensors all over the buildings and streets of our downtown while we build a tunnel. Theyre there to monitor any movement of... well anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YewUJ7vjrrs
Neat. Tremendously expensive and probably overkill, but neat nonetheless. In the end it's probably cheaper than having to pay out a lawsuit if a building were to collapse or become seriously damaged.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

pirana6 wrote:

The bridge was hit by a truck. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if it was hit by a truck, it would have fallen around the same day anyway due to lack of repairs?

Your view on transit pretty short-sided. Transit change doesn't fix immediate issues so it's a waste of money? C'mon. Should we have kept mercer how it was? I-5 is a complete mess, true, but should we do nothing to attempt fix it?

Are you referring to the light rail? have you ever ridden it at all let alone during rush hour? It's fucking packed.

And ho-ly shit, replace 99 by redirecting it to surface roads? In belltown? During rush hour? I KNOW you know better than that.

You're just going to put words in my mouth, aren't you? I said it was already obsolete and hit by a truck months before in two[?] places. Then it was struck again.

How much extra did the tunnel delay cost? $80 million? Have you been following the project at all? The lawsuits and the blame game? It's an undeniable cluster. There's got to have been a better way than blowing an obscene amount of cash mucking about underneath Seattle. What came of the $0.12/gal gas tax hike? Think any of that will be sunk into Seattle's pretentious tunnel project? Wonder how many non-Seattleites resent the prospect.

Did I say "do nothing to fix I-5?" Anything but. I've been clamoring for maintenance all along. Remember last year when a fucked up expansion joint caused that extra-miserable backup? Gee, it's a good thing that the state funds and keeps up on road maintenance so thoroughly. A year before, a dangling chain from a truck screwed up another joint. Are we going to replace those with epoxy sealant or what?

Does the fact that vehicles can damage infrastructure somehow negate state responsibility? You seem really centered on the whole truck damage thing.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Your view on transit pretty short-sided. Transit change doesn't fix immediate issues so it's a waste of money? C'mon. Should we have kept mercer how it was? I-5 is a complete mess, true, but should we do nothing to attempt fix it?

You're just going to put words in my mouth, aren't you? I said it was already obsolete and hit by a truck months before in two[?] places. Then it was struck again.

How much extra did the tunnel delay cost? $80 million? Have you been following the project at all? The lawsuits and the blame game? It's an undeniable cluster. There's got to have been a better way than blowing an obscene amount of cash mucking about underneath Seattle. What came of the $0.12/gal gas tax hike? Think any of that will be sunk into Seattle's pretentious tunnel project? Wonder how many non-Seattleites resent the prospect.

Did I say "do nothing to fix I-5?" Anything but. I've been clamoring for maintenance all along. Remember last year when a fucked up expansion joint caused that extra-miserable backup? Gee, it's a good thing that the state funds and keeps up on road maintenance so thoroughly. A year before, a dangling chain from a truck screwed up another joint. Are we going to replace those with epoxy sealant or what?

Does the fact that vehicles can damage infrastructure somehow negate state responsibility? You seem really centered on the whole truck damage thing.
It is not my intention to put words in your mouth, and for that I apologize. But when you leave these cryptic, open-ended thoughts about why the bridge fell I have to guess at what you're trying to say. Yeah it was hit before and yeah it was old and needed repairs, but that describes nearly every bridge in the state, and I can't remember a single one that fell down by itself - yet you seem to be panicked about them.

Yeah it's over-budget but what municipal project hasn't been since the dawn of civilization? I never understand how people don't anticipate over-budgeted projects. How many people still wish we hadn't built safeco because it was absurdly over-budget? Probably just the extremely conservative and staunch libertarians. When it was in the process of being built and over-budget, everybody and their mom was against it... Like I said, you're taking the very short-sighted stance on this. We HAVE to do something about 99 and it HAS to be long-term, Seattle isn't getting smaller.
Oh and ask Marley how the shitty the big dig went then ask him if he still regrets it? Something had to be done there, and while it was 200% what they initially said it was, it's a whole ton better for traffic.

I doubt non-seattlites love the project. Same as me not being happy for paying for 520 when I never need to drive to redmond. Or bike lanes that I don't use because I take the bus. I don't really know what you want me to say about this one... Dont live in a metropolitan area if you don't like spending money on projects you may never benefit from?

Yeah we have to fix about thirty-thousand infrastructure issues, and we started with what is possibly the most pressing in 99. State funds went to the second of two arterials through the biggest city in the state. Again, if you're complaining in general, fine. If you're complaining to me directly, I can't help you.

Last edited by pirana6 (2016-04-29 12:45:28)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6549|Scotland
Sorry guys fell asleep having a shit. Did i miss much?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

eat more fibre
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

Nostalgia:
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6472|Foothills of S. Carolina

Tomorrow is the 2nd anniversary of my sons death. I still wonder if he would be here had I reacted a little quicker, or called 911 as soon as I saw him fall to his knees. Instead, I thought he might be choking on a piece of gum and tried to clear his air way first... I can still see the EMTs working on him in the field, trying their best to save him, and wish I could have done something more.
uziq
+492|3450
wow, that sounds incredibly tough canin. my thoughts are with you.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
You do the best you can with the information you have at hand. Hindsight is always 20/20 and you did what you thought was best. As hard as it can be that's what you have to try and remember.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6287|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

first day at work and i didn't poop myself
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My grandfather passed away this morning. I've known it was coming for a long time because, well, he was 94 and in constant pain from age and various bouts with cancer. You try to steel yourself in advance and rationalize it away but it still really hurt when my mom called to tell me. About a week and a half ago he fell while in the shower and broke his neck and had been in the hospital ever since. My mom visited him over the weekend and said he was in a lot of pain.

He raised me when I was little. My mom was stuck working nights until I was about ten years old and my father was off being my father, so I lived upstairs with him in his house while my mom sorted out her life in the basement apartment. We used to race to the dinner table and then we'd race to see who could finish dinner first (I still eat faster than anyone I've ever met because of this). Then I'd sit on his lap while he watched boring news shows. I used to sneak down in the morning and he'd already be up (since 5), I'd carefully creep into the living room and then run into the living room and pounce on him. He always knew I was coming and he'd always feign surprise and then laugh about it.

The man raised seven kids and then he helped raise several of his grandchildren. I'll always miss him. He was a good man.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.
Rip grandpa jay
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
All this death talk is too depressing for this thread. Can we talk about Jon Snow coming back to life?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
yes. i thought they were gonna drag it out for another ep.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

RTHKI wrote:

yes. i thought they were gonna drag it out for another ep.
I am glad they didn't. Altogether, I am equally disappointed and happy Jon is back.

Happy because he was a great character. Disappointed because it is sort of cliche. Then again, GoT is known for killing off popular people so it would be cliche in itself if he stayed dead.

What do you think?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

bummer jay
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6288|Washington St.
it's a bit warm eh?

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Absolutely terrifying. Wow.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

All this death talk is too depressing for this thread. Can we talk about Jon Snow coming back to life?
Nope, the inquest into my friend is now complete.

"I have considered the evidence in the death of XXX who died on the 9/7/15 at her home address.  XXX had argued and had a disagreement with her partner and when he returned to the house the back door was locked and he went inside and found XXX hanging from a scarf.

At the time of XXX's death she was under the care of the Recovery Team.  It has been agreed that some aspects of the team’s care, risk assessments need improving but no cause or link has been found with her death and no suspicious circumstances and no note left by her.  There was a record of complex medical issues and she had dismissed therapy.  My conclusion is that of suicide based on previous issues of self-harm and I believe she had intended on taking her own life on the 9 July which concludes the inquest into her death."

PTSD, MS, ME, Fibromyalgia a cocktail of serious drugs and lackadaisical medical support will do that I guess.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard