unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You shouldn't eat lunch anyway. Just eat breakfast and dinner. Reduce your calorie intake and take a one a day vitamin.

Lunch for me is almost always a white coffee.
Without getting instructional, possibly better general advice is to eat somewhere around your daily recommended caloric intake of actual food, and schedule physical activity for yourself.

America is probably up to its greasy armpits in perpetually obese, sedentary, calorie-counting, "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" dieters who see nothing wrong with chugging a gallon of sodium to chase a 700 calories worth of potato chips for lunch and so on, but wonder why their metabolism is shot.

Be a Chad. Eat well.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
That reminds me...I saw an article in NYT about how sugar free high caffeine energy drinks are becoming very popular. People want to get geeked up on caffeine but don't want sugar. I feel that.

Have you ever had the charged tea from Panera Bread?

I asked out the 22 year old from work. She said yes.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I don't think I've ever stepped foot into a Panera Bread.

All that caffeine I think is just a pathway to perpetual grogginess and irritability. Dealing with coffee people in the morning is nearly as awful as drinkers in the evening. Then you get the people who are deep into coffee, cigarettes, and booze. Not a single hour in the day they don't hear one of their drugs' siren calls. Just stay out of their stinky way.

There's fewer things more disgusting than the centerpiece of a chain smoker's house or workspace: an old cup of coffee with a handful of drowned cigarettes floating in it. The inside of their computer is a good contender though. Nasty.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
I've pretty well cut out coffee, from 4-5 cups per day, also gone right down on booze.

Nothing has really changed except my chocolate cravings have dropped ~50%
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

4-5 cups a day of anything other than water is insane.

I almost exclusively drink wine at home instead of beer or liquor. I still drink too much though. Would like to cut it down to 2 bottles a week.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well I suppose there's insane and there's insane.

Two bottles a week is a fair bit, although when the family was going through its shit time one bottle each on a Saturday night was about right.

I've created the best cocktail ever, I try to limit myself to 1-2 per week.

Champagne glass
Up to an inch of vodka
Same of grapefruit juice
Fill remainder with champagne

Its a bit like any fizzy fruit drink, I call it 'Utter Despair'

I've really cut back on beer - don't tell uziq - he'd be insufferable

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2023-06-14 02:52:04)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
End of the school year party was today.

A few funny stories. One of them is about a coworker who lives with his girlfriend. The coworker started sleeping with the union's webmaster. He broke up with her when she started being crazy. She showed up to his apartment at night, parked in the driveway and started blasting her car horn to get his attention. His girlfriend asked him what was happening and he said he will go outside and tell the person to go away. My coworker had to tell the webmaster to go home. He had to warn the webmaster that if the girlfriend came outside there would be a physical fight. He said he then ghosted her. They work in the same school. Actually worse. The same building of the school. That's hilarious.
https://media.tenor.com/g8ic0sw27uoAAAAC/hans-landa-landa-bravo.gif

My coworker also said I could sleep with her if I wanted. So I will try.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
Try?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

This is also why people say don't date work. Apart from the ambiguous or outright awful power dynamics, you might end up having to work in the same building as someone who comes to your apartment to blast their horn at 3am (garth.mp4).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
In my next relationship I will be with someone who doesn't have a pet.

People with pets are hard to date. They have to be home to feed and clean up after the wild animal they isolate. It isn't much different than a child really.

Also, animals are just gross. A dog or cat is always a detriment to the cleanliness of the environment. Even if the captor is a very clean person, the addition of another living being will add something.

And why do you need a pet? Do you really need to have a wild animal trapped in your house to feel happy? Like, cats absolutely hate being inside houses. You are trapping a cat in a scary environment just so you have something to be reliant on you.

The girl I am seeing tomorrow has a cat in her profile picture.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
Don't kids that grow up with pets have less allergies
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Real hot take from a serial dog botherer who can't even be bothered to wash a dish. A clear and present danger to animal lifespan and ambient sanitation in any household.

mac: *hates pets*
mac: "pets are basically kids"
mac: *teaches kids*

mac: "Cats don't like being inside, they're afraid of the indoors."
cat: *walks inside on a perfectly nice day and sleeps for 8 hours on a cat tree, with every door and window in the house open*

Maybe it's not the indoors that bothers cats so much as it is people without a clue.

Why insist on associating with pet owners if it's so bad, anyway?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

Don't kids that grow up with pets have less allergies
Well the kids with allergies with pets tend not to grow up, they die of asthma attacks.

So yes, from that point of view killing off the week does strengthen the herd.

Cats like being inside and outside. They have evolved a symbiotic life with people.
Current cat seems to have no interest in being outside despite having supposedly started out on a farm.
This house has about 100 times the floor area of the room in shelter - which she shared with 20 other cats, this seems to be enough.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

afaik, the exposure/non-exposure thing is still debated. it's a complex question and every time I've seen it addressed, "maybe" is the best the article could do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think its been proven that people who don't like cats are serial killers.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
What about people that like Cats?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Locking a cat in a cage is not different than doing it to a person.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/01/27/16/3C92232800000578-0-image-a-112_1485533985061.jpg
Newbie be like "it is safer for her to be in the cage. She gets three meals a day and won't get run over by a car."
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Mac's, cats will literally walk into enclosed spaces, cages included. Especially if there's a blanket over them. The outside environment isn't safe for cats, and they don't do local ecosystems many favors either. This notion that they can just slip into the role of wild animals like that gets so many dumped to fend for themselves, it's disgusting. You like videos, go find some on abandoned, sick ferals. Just the group of diseased animals you'd want your own cat to go hang with. Who doesn't like thousands of dollars in preventable vet bills?

Cats can be trained off counters. You should be wiping those down before and after each use anyway, like an adult. Cats and dogs contribute to the mess of a home, but so do humans of all ages. You take your shoes off when you go inside, right? Track a lot of street dirt into your apartment otherwise. Domicile becomes a factory for dust bunnies.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-07-15 10:33:12)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6623|Little Bentcock
Cats should be banned, they are a detriment to the local ecosystem and they kill untold amounts of native animals to which a cat isn't their natural predator. For every responsible cat owner that keeps their cats permanently indoors there is a dozen more that let them roam the outdoors. They aren't even good pets, they exist to be served by their owner which is an odd dynamic to welcome into your home, and the only people that feel the need to keep a cat are people that have trouble interacting with other people.

My partner is a vet, and she agrees that cat people are weird. They also get AIDS.

Dogs are superior anyway.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2023-07-15 19:52:07)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How many ecosystems have been turned into beef monocultures to feed dogs?
I'm sure a 30kg+ dog has more net impact than the average cat on the ecosystem.

When was the last time a postie or a child had their throat ripped out by a cat?
71 People hospitalised in the last quarter due to dog attacks, 1 death.
https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/u … h-2023.pdf
I'm sure this is an average quarter, and as usual fighting dogs - Staffordshire terriers - wildly over-represented.

they exist to be served by their owner which is an odd dynamic to welcome into your home
Exactly the same also applies to dogs, more so in fact. The average cat can live in the wild, most dogs have no chance.

the only people that feel the need to keep a cat are people that have trouble interacting with other people
This also also applies to dogs.
Adams_BJ
Dog food and cat food is no different to human food in that it is raised for slaughter. I have no issue with that. I have issue with irresponsible cat owners letting the cats roam unchecked destroying the local ecosystem. Feral dogs and cats are both problems, but domesticated dogs aren't let out by the millions to roam and hunt for the fun of it.

We have a cat, he never steps foot outdoors.

Smithsonian Magazine wrote:

Australia’s federal parliament released a report that confirmed that cats were the primary drivers of mammal extinctions in the country. The report asserted that Australia leads the world with 34 such species wiped out and a further 74 land mammal species under threat

The final report found that every year, each individual feral cat in Australia kills 390 mammals, 225 reptiles and 130 birds. That adds up. Every year, feral cats kill 1.4 billion native Australian animals—around the same number that died in the catastrophic 2019-20 bushfires when more than 73,000 square miles burned.

Feral cats are not the only problem: The parliamentary report also found that Australia’s almost 3.8 million pet cats kill up to 390 million animals every year.

And it’s as serious a matter in the U.S. as it is in Australia. More than 58 million pet cats and anywhere between 30 million and 100 million self-sufficient feral cats and strays partially cared for by humans live in the U.S. A 2013 study in Nature found that cats kill as many as 22.3 billion mostly native mammals in the U.S. annually.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- … 180977235/

Cats are a scourge and should be outlawed, just like rabbits in Qld.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I'll easily grant your good point on cat impact on ecosystems. People should keep cats inside, or to outdoor enclosures as the furthest as they can wander from a home (sorry, dilbs). Safer for cats, safer for birds. Dogs should of course be contained, as well. I see fewer arguments about that. IMO, banning the animal at this point is at the moment politically unactionable. It's hard to imagine a politician running a successful campaign on the foundation of banning cats or dogs.

Your other assertions are weird. Cat people being antisocial sounds like a stereotype to me. Cat lording it over their owners is pure meme. People spoil their dogs too, but cats bear the brunt of this reputation. A lot of criticisms leveled at cats here and elsewhere can be used against dogs. Eating money, defecating work.

"My vet partner said" doesn't seem like the rule on that appeal to authority. All my vets have had cats. *shrug*

Besides which, golf is fairly environmentally dubious, no?
Adams_BJ

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'll easily grant your good point on cat impact on ecosystems. People should keep cats inside, or to outdoor enclosures as the furthest as they can wander from a home (sorry, dilbs). Safer for cats, safer for birds. IMO, banning the animal at this point is at the moment politically unactionable. It's hard to imagine a politician running a successful campaign on the foundation of banning cats or dogs.

Your other assertions are weird. Cat people being antisocial sounds like a stereotype to me. Cat lording it over their owners is pure meme. People spoil their dogs too, but cats bear the brunt of this reputation. "My vet partner said" doesn't seem like the rule on that appeal to authority. All my vets have had cats. *shrug*

Besides which, golf is fairly environmentally dubious, no?
I only mention the vet part because vets and vet nurses are animal people, and tend to be usually weird themselves. I thought that went without saying. People pets reflect their personalities as it is what is comfortable. Catss are solitary and dogs are social, so are their owners. Cat owners being weird is not just a meme thing. As a tier of weird personalities goes its cats >> horses >> dogs though.

Sure, golf is environmentally dubious sure, but its not killing billions of animals every year, extinction level dubious now is it? It's "gee, that sure is a lot of grass to maintain, think of all those bugs that need to move over a bit" dubious.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2023-07-16 05:11:43)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Cats being a "self-sufficient pet" is a vicious circle of neglect imo. People have this notion that they can just let them do their own thing, alone, all the time, and then meme when a cat becomes standoffish. I think this feeds into abandonment, the "it can live off of mice" justification, as well as doing the environment no favors.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Catss are solitary and dogs are social, so are their owners. Cat owners being weird is not just a meme thing.
Both of these things have been memed to the point of myth and absurdity.

Apropos, this discussion spawns from mac's comments about dating people with pets.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-07-16 05:23:42)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard