Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'm sure your life is fine, but i just don't get why you look down on communications studies as a junk degree. business studies is hardly the beating heart of the university, either.
i know, why do you think im doing intl relations?

business degrees are just networking degrees. get dat asian money

zique: its like the psych degree in the states. people take it because "its a degree." asians take business related subjects because they gonna run daddy's company one day.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-07-13 07:24:34)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma
Sigh.  I had a big long thing typed and I accidentally hit the back button and erased it.  Can't be fucked to type it again right now.  Maybe when I get home tonight.  I find that going into the abortion discussion in depth is just fucking depressing anyways.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Extra Medium wrote:

Sigh.  I had a big long thing typed and I accidentally hit the back button and erased it.  Can't be fucked to type it again right now.  Maybe when I get home tonight.  I find that going into the abortion discussion in depth is just fucking depressing anyways.
that sucks. it happens on firefox. use chrome/opera/safari and it remembers your text. happens to me too.

i was interested in hearing some words from you on the topic. i hope it wasn't some sort of quasi-religious bullshieeet.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'm sure your life is fine, but i just don't get why you look down on communications studies as a junk degree. business studies is hardly the beating heart of the university, either.

zique: its like the psych degree in the states. people take it because "its a degree." asians take business related subjects because they gonna run daddy's company one day.
international relations ain't no intellectual powerhouse, neither. that's an MA that people here mostly do when they want to 'crossover' into a career path, i.e. another job enabler. isn't it just like the soft-academic version of politics or history?
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

that sucks. it happens on firefox. use chrome/opera/safari and it remembers your text. happens to me too.

i was interested in hearing some words from you on the topic. i hope it wasn't some sort of quasi-religious bullshieeet.
No, I'm not religious and in fact I believe that religion is one of the major roadblocks (i.e. no birth control from the Catholics)

The gist is I support abortion in the case of rape, incest or danger to the mother.  Everything else is ridiculous.  Having an abortion because you can't handle, don't won't to handle or don't care to handle the responsibility of having a child is bullshit.  Adoption is always an option and with gay marriage coming closer and closer to being a thing, there will be more couples than ever wanting to adopt.  Aborting a child because it may have a hard/shitty life is stupid because by that logic every child in a third world should be aborted.  Doctors who perform abortions should have their license revoked for violating the Hippocratic oath by terminated an otherwise healthy pregnancy. etc etc etc  Went on to say that the pro-choice movement was basically a get out jail free card for women who want to do whatever the hell they want with no consequence.

Also I've stated at least 7 times I'm an atheist.  Why do people keep bringing that shit up like I'm some sort of religious nut simply because I live in the bible belt?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
i didn't bring up that you're religious. i just said i hope it isn't some quasi-religious justification, i.e. a specious use of metaphysics ("the sanctity of life" or some such abstractions that helps no one). i'm glad it isn't.

don't you think texas asks for it, though? highest rate of unwanted pregnancy in the country, isn't it? and the only sex education offered in schools is 'abstinence'? seems to me like it's not altogether fair to blame a young mother who wants to abort a healthy pregnancy-- it doesn't seem like, given the religious/conservative nature of the state and all, that they're educated enough. i was given full sex-education as part of a national curriculum when i was a kid, and i've never had to get anywhere near close to an abortion scenario. the correlation between the nationally-high state pregnancy rate and the state's medieval education system is a little suggestive, no? just blaming the parent seems a little blinkered. people raised in religious families often get pregnant before they even know what conception is.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

international relations ain't no intellectual powerhouse, neither. that's an MA that people here mostly do when they want to 'crossover' into a career path, i.e. another job enabler. isn't it just like the soft-academic version of politics or history?
it is a good degree if you want to work in the foreign services though.

what do you consider an intellectual powerhouse then?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma
Ummm, I don't think you have a solid grasp on how sex ed is taught here.

We were taught around 5th grade IIRC, the full scientific process of reproduction and afterwards we are taught birth control and abstinence.  I don't think there is anyone who actually went to school here that can say they don't know how penises and vaginas work.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Extra Medium wrote:

Ummm, I don't think you have a solid grasp on how sex ed is taught here.

We were taught around 5th grade IIRC, the full scientific process of reproduction and afterwards we are taught birth control and abstinence.  I don't think there is anyone who actually went to school here that can say they don't know how penises and vaginas work.
you were taught about birth control? good for you. however the state does not require it on the curriculum. it only specifies abstinence as the 'official' method.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
I can tell you from teaching about reproduction that there are a FUCKLOAD of people who don't know how penises and vaginas work, not to mention believe retarded myths about sex/STDs.

Boner -> jizz -> babby is about the extent most people "understand" the process.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2013-07-13 08:25:51)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

are you this dense? traditional academic subjects are pretty well known. the 'rigorous' version of business studies is economics. something trying to approach the level of a science or sustained study, you know. with theoretical and abstract problems. which crosses over with other academic disciplines: maths, philosophy, politics, etc. 'business studies' is a soft course. it's more about preparing people for a work-place, as you said. that's not a 'research path'. the intellectual and abstract subjects are normally subjects that don't teach any modules about 'networking' or 'practice'. they are just knowledge-for-knowledge's sake. i.e. pretty much all university subjects before 1950 and the instrumentalization of higher-education.

and over here everyone in the foreign office will have a classics/history/philosophy/ppe/language/literature degree, from a top university. to get into a job in the civil service in the UK you need 'prestigious' credentials, not some professional degree that teaches you "international business".

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 08:28:06)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

are you this dense? traditional academic subjects are pretty well known. the 'rigorous' version of business studies is economics. something trying to approach the level of a science or sustained study, you know. with theoretical and abstract problems. which crosses over with other academic disciplines: maths, philosophy, politics, etc. 'business studies' is a soft course. it's more about preparing people for a work-place, as you said. that's not a 'research path'. the intellectual and abstract subjects are normally subjects that don't teach any modules about 'networking' or 'practice'. they are just knowledge-for-knowledge's sake. i.e. pretty much all university subjects before 1950 and the instrumentalization of higher-education.

and over here everyone in the foreign office will have a classics/history/philosophy/ppe/language/literature degree, from a top university. to get into a job in the civil service in the UK you need 'prestigious' credentials, not some professional degree that teaches you "international business".
Those 'soft skills' are just as valid as psychology you know... in fact, they ARE psychology.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
psychology is a 'social science' and 90% of work on a psychology course will be professionalized research, either towards theoretical or clinical ends. not many 'soft skills'. you can argue all 'proper' university degrees also teach you soft skills: time-management, presentation, formal writing, deep-analytical and evaluative skills, the ability to collaborate with peers, the ability to network with people of various backgrounds, the ability to publicly speak and deliver your ideas in front of an audience, etc. almost every degree involves this. it's all in the prospectuses and brochures for every single course at every single institution where any single prospective student has ever asked "will this help me get a job?". every 'hardcore' academic degree teaches sale-able skills. otherwise how do you think all the grads from 'traditional' courses at top skills snap up all the top jobs? they're hardly bookish twerps that can't tie a shoe-lace together. it's a false representation and a false dichotomy between 'traditional' subjects and the less-rigorous ones, which are lighter on hard-content and richer on those soft-skills.

i conceive of the university as first and foremost an academic research institution. a place of scholarship. you can develop soft-skills almost anywhere. in fact, many of the best salespeople and entrepreneurs are non-university educated, precisely because they developed their acumen and soft-skills elsewhere. WHICH IS A GREAT THING. i encourage this fully, it is 100% my point. not everyone needs to go get a meaningless degree.

anyway shouldn't this be in d&st chat? we're having the same convo in two different threads. this is an insult to texas.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 08:39:05)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

wait your telling me people who are doing international relations are doing the wrong course when trying to get into the foreign service? lolwat.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma
lol
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
look at the biographies of the foreign diplomats in us/uk/aus. i am willing to bet most have backgrounds in languages or politics/history/philosophy, or economics/law.

here's a good list, happy hunting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassador … ted_States

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 11:58:42)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
So this bill bans abortion after 20 weeks... To those with their panties in a twist, it's largely a symbolic thing that really doesn't impact anything. Currently, 98.7% of abortions already happen before the 20 week mark, so this changes very little. Love the hyperbole though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

look at the biographies of the foreign diplomats in us/uk/aus. i am willing to bet most have backgrounds in languages or politics/history/philosophy, or economics/law.

That is more representative of the types of people who get top spots. Rich and connected. Under the top people are armies of people with PHDs and masters in Poli Sci and IR. in the u.s. at least.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Texas is flat, hot, scrubby, covered in cows in the east, and sagebrush and oil derricks in the west. It takes forever to cross, has two seasons, no mountains, no ocean (the western Gulf doesn't count), and most of the state is so ass backwards that when you drive out a bit on a FM its like returning to the 1950s.

It's SHITE being a Texan! They're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the North. I don't. We're just wankers. They, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!
I don't even like the accent much, its OK on a stripper but otherwise its just weird.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

in Aus the law bit is right, others not so much.

Most are IR/Law/Commerce and Econ. It's a myth that most foreign service employees already know a second language. You do realize they have language training schools right?

edit: also most ambassadors are not career diplomats, most of them are political appointments.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-07-14 00:24:48)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
don't you also need a security vetting and native passport to work for a countries' intelligence service? how are you going to get a job being an immigrant with a vehicular homicide on your resume?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

don't you also need a security vetting and native passport to work for a countries' intelligence service? how are you going to get a job being an immigrant with a vehicular homicide on your resume?
im an immigrant? why coz i got some gook in me? way not to racial profile.

born a citizen and my family has been in the country 5 decades before federation (on my german side). and there's more to the foreign service than just working intel.

Sec clearances aren't even that hard to get.

that car crash joke is getting pretty old.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma

Jay wrote:

So this bill bans abortion after 20 weeks... To those with their panties in a twist, it's largely a symbolic thing that really doesn't impact anything. Currently, 98.7% of abortions already happen before the 20 week mark, so this changes very little. Love the hyperbole though.
It also tightens regulations placed upon the operation of abortion clinics making it harder for them to operate.  A lot will probably close.  Hence the hyperbole.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma

Cybargs wrote:

way not to racial profile.
Uzique Zimmerman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
for some reason i thought he said in the past that he was born in taiwan or something. why would i make up that he's an immigrant? i don't care.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard